Where the clan gathers to discuss the issues raised in the Leader and Event archives.
The Conference Room is for serious discussion only.
Everyone is encouraged to participate, but this forum has special rules! Make sure to read it before posting!

Re: Looking forward, looking for purpose

Postby FireSpirit on Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:38 pm

The thing that got to me, and almost irritated me enough to quit the game is seeing the same people over and over on the update pages. People getting upset if anyone claims "their project" and repeatedly a small handful are the only ones whose projects are ever supported. Recently, I inserted an ongoing project because I updated my character's look, just a little, and really wanted to see myself in the page, like I'm actually a member or something- like i belong, because often i feel like i don't. I actually had to scroll up and down 2 or 3 times because the character drawn was that much different from the picture I uploaded in my character detail page. I thought there was going to be something about two people shown on each project, one being the person who inserted it, and one supporter of that person's idea, since the people submitting tends to be from the same small group every week. The main reason that hasn't driven me to leave is the map part of the game makes me feel like i'm actually contributing something worthwhile, but even there i'm starting to feel badgered to do what "the inner circle" wants without much input from me.

Long term goals are good, but I have a hard time navigating the forum to what I am looking for, I don't really have time to read some of the 3 page essays that get posted or the 15 replies that accumulate in the course of a day, and most of the long term goals are going to be from the same small group of die-hard regulars that run everything anyway. I think unless you have a link on the main page for casual participants who don't read forums, and only check the page twice a week to vote, then any wiki or detail information is going to go unread and nothing much will change.
FireSpirit
Nether Spawn

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby blackjack217 on Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:08 pm

FireSpirit wrote:The thing that got to me, and almost irritated me enough to quit the game is seeing the same people over and over on the update pages. People getting upset if anyone claims "their project" and repeatedly a small handful are the only ones whose projects are ever supported. Recently, I inserted an ongoing project because I updated my character's look, just a little, and really wanted to see myself in the page, like I'm actually a member or something- like i belong, because often i feel like i don't. I actually had to scroll up and down 2 or 3 times because the character drawn was that much different from the picture I uploaded in my character detail page. I thought there was going to be something about two people shown on each project, one being the person who inserted it, and one supporter of that person's idea, since the people submitting tends to be from the same small group every week. The main reason that hasn't driven me to leave is the map part of the game makes me feel like i'm actually contributing something worthwhile, but even there i'm starting to feel badgered to do what "the inner circle" wants without much input from me.

Long term goals are good, but I have a hard time navigating the forum to what I am looking for, I don't really have time to read some of the 3 page essays that get posted or the 15 replies that accumulate in the course of a day, and most of the long term goals are going to be from the same small group of die-hard regulars that run everything anyway. I think unless you have a link on the main page for casual participants who don't read forums, and only check the page twice a week to vote, then any wiki or detail information is going to go unread and nothing much will change.

Hey, If you ever find a project by me feel free to "steal" it I don't care. :D
Anareth Nimaraidh
Ceterum autem censeo, Siyah-khorshed esse delendam!
blackjack217
Demon

Postby FireSpirit on Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:57 pm

blackjack217 wrote: Hey, If you ever find a project by me feel free to "steal" it I don't care. :D

LOL - awesome! Thank you! *blush*
FireSpirit
Nether Spawn

Postby Catriana on Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:00 am

Well, to be honest, it is a little frustrating to take time out of your day to plot out an idea and share it with others, only to have the option to enter it in removed. It happened to me, once, and the way it was worded was completely different from what I had stated, to a point where I posted my own option up anyway, because it was just all wrong. Thankfully, my option passed and my original goal was achieved. In the end, however, people 'stealing' projects seems to translate to me as being: "I'm going to get screen time for YOUR idea" and that seems a little off to me.

But if you're playing this game just for spotlight time, you're playing it for the wrong reasons and you'll probably continue to find yourself disappointed.

Also, unless you provided Reza with a graphic of your character, he's only going to be able to go off of what you give him. What YOU imagine and what the ARTIST imagines are often very different. As a person who commissions artists all the time, I've definitely learned that the hard way. Now, even if they're terrible pictures, I sketch out the way I want my character to look, because physical references are much better than text-based ones.

I don't see how seeing the same people in the updates is so annoying. They're contributing and things are getting done. They're taking the initiative, and everyone is free to do so. If the same people were showing up and nothing was getting done, then I'd be a little more understanding.
“The most I can do for my friend is simply be his friend." -Henry David Thoreau
Catriana
Dragon of the Nether

Previous

Return to Conference Hall