Where the clan gathers to discuss the issues raised in the Leader and Event archives.
The Conference Room is for serious discussion only.
Everyone is encouraged to participate, but this forum has special rules! Make sure to read it before posting!

Diplomatic Mission

Postby Black Rabbit on Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:12 am

Hey Guys,

From today's LA update we got a response on the idea of holding a diplomatic mission to Hanen and the Kotorc village come spring. Anj came back with a series of questions so I thought I would open it up to debate to discuss the following points:

What would be the aim of the mission?

What are the obstacles to such a mission?

If you have other points you want to add please do so.

What would be the aim of the mission?

I would see the primary goal of the mission as establishing diplomatic connections (friendly!) or at least providing more knowledge of both races and the political going ons around us. benefits in establishing friendly relation with both races as they both offer resources that we could use:

Halmes: different foods and domestic animals, potential crafting skills, knowledge of halmes going-ons.

Kotorcs: different foods, maybe potential craft products, potential mercenaries?, knowledge of kotorc goings on (limited)

What are the obstacles to such a mission?

The two biggist issues I see are language/cultural barriers and conflict. I think we could use ferals as intermeditries in hanen, maybe a halme from Hanen to talk with the kotorcs?
Black Rabbit
Nether Spawn

Re: Diplomatic Mission

Postby minalia on Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:11 pm

My answer is this. whatever diplomatic talks you folks want to do..put it on hold for a year or 2 and concentrate on expanding our zone of influence up to the city ruin.

You want to talk to the halmes you gonna have to fight your way in a very dangerous jungle up to the feral settlement. Bring weapons and armor and get ready to roll up a few character every now and then because they are gonna die against the 5 big threats in the forest.

1. Bugs

2. kotorcs

3. poisonous mana plants

4. WARGOLEMS!!!

5. Wild Ferals who will kill us in the night.
A survivalist should not be a pessimist, he should always be positive, happy and enjoying life more than anyone else because he understands that each minute of peace we have is precious and unique, and he never takes it for granted.
minalia
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby Jonarus_Drakus on Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:03 am

6. The Gryphon ((It can FLY, don't expect it to stay restricted to a certain area))

JD
> J'hon D'rak Tei'Kaliath. D'rak Patriarch, KIA on the 12th day of the 3rd Moon
> Eh'rin D'rak Tei'Kaliath. D'rak Dev'ess: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=14467&p=765500#p758482
http://jonarus-drakus.deviantart.com/
Jonarus_Drakus
Vel'akar

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby vitus on Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:16 pm

7. The funghi disease
vitus
Summoner

Postby James Rye on Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:20 pm

8. dwarves(?) with cannons (flying explosion stuff?) XD
James Rye
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Postby Nacht on Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:53 pm

I also agree a diplomatic mission is too early.

I get the impression that in this harsh world, diplomacy is either
a) we're stronger: we won't kill you if you give us stuff
b) we're weaker: hide until they find you, then try to kill them or beg for mercy with offerings

Obviously we want to be in the first position. Send a diplomatic mission when we have shiny armour, big army and impressive mounts to frighten our neighbours into submission. Since they are other races, and other races generally HATE and fear Drow (black devils!!) it's safe to assume an equal-to-equal trade partnership is out of the question.
Nacht
Summoner

Postby thatguyvex on Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:36 pm

Hanen's familiarity with us already will theoretically make talking with them about whatever easier, but for the most part they're just a small village so there isn't much to do with them in terms of diplomacy. The location might in the future make a good secondary settlement or military base, but that'll be when we have the resources to expand that far. I don't mind making friendly with them, but with the intended goal that in time the Hanen halmes will get so used to us that when the time comes to "bring them into the fold" as it were, it'll go down smoothly and with hopefully little need for convincing them.

I get the feeling our first contact with the Orcs probably won't be a friendly one. We'll essentially just look like a competitor or a target to them. If they want to get talky with us, cool, we might be able to adopt a don't screw with us we won't screw with you policy with them and maybe build up some kind of trust from there.

But yeah, getting to either group for any kind of purpose is going to require we do some taming of the local area and consolidating our base of strength.
There is a fine line between awesome and ridiculous. Badai uses that line to floss his teeth.

Kazdrin's Random Link: Bizzare. Amusing. Ruby Quest.
thatguyvex
Vel'akar

Return to Conference Hall