Where the clan gathers to discuss the issues raised in the Leader and Event archives.
The Conference Room is for serious discussion only.
Everyone is encouraged to participate, but this forum has special rules! Make sure to read it before posting!

Re: Of Oaths and Necessary Action

Postby Taruna on Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:49 am

For the sake of peace a suggestion:

If anyone wishes to discuss the topic of a "Code of conduct", please just open a Thread.

I will end my partitipation in this thread (and hope I may be part of a new one) with those two quotes (If they have been said by someone important or famous, please let me know so I can add their names. so far I didn't hear anyone else say this):

"The right for your freedom of speech ends, where those freedom hurts the rights of speech, the dignity or feelings of others"

"Your right to speak as you wish does not inherit the obligation to others to listen to anything you say"
Taruna Tei'kaliath - Former Warmaster - 2nd Tir'ay Champ (Warr.)
Family
Nimaraidh
Because inside of everyone of us is a warrior
Whose courage is like a sword
But the biggest weapon is his heart
(Silbermond - Krieger des Lichts)
User avatar
Taruna
Vel'akar
 
Posts: 1975
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 2:42 am
Location: Goth Corner (Germany)
Clan: Tei'kaliath

Re: Of Oaths and Necessary Action

Postby 3Power on Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:35 pm

So you posted two random quotes and are asking if either of them has been said by someone? Right...

The first one is ridiculous. Freedom of speech includes saying bad things about other people, it was half of the point. It was so people could express beliefs and opinions without being persecuted for them by the people in power.

The second one is true, but anyone who adheres to such a philosophy is foolish. As I have said several times previously, anyone who refuses to listen to reason based on how it is stated is simply being willfully ignorant.
Trey'la in Path to Power.
We gotta go, We've got nothing to lose, now time has come for us to get out.
We gotta go, If we're going down, well let's go down in flames!
User avatar
3Power
Summoner
 
Posts: 493
Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 12:20 am
Clan: Tei'kaliath

Re: Of Oaths and Necessary Action

Postby Jonarus_Drakus on Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:29 am

>completely ignores the interveaning post as below his notice<

I fully support the spirit of both those quotes Taruna (indeed the first quote is pretty much the basis of Australian law on the subject), and i hope to work them into the CoC in some form. And you will of course be more than welcome to coment/contribute to the CoC itself once i get a draft done up. The simple fact that you made to two 'beginers advice' pages is proof enough that your input would be valuable on this subject.

JD
> J'hon D'rak Tei'Kaliath. D'rak Patriarch, KIA on the 12th day of the 3rd Moon
> Eh'rin D'rak Tei'Kaliath. D'rak Dev'ess: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=14467&p=765500#p758482
http://jonarus-drakus.deviantart.com/
User avatar
Jonarus_Drakus
Vel'akar
 
Posts: 1434
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:59 am
Location: Watching you from behind the Blue eye...
Clan: Beldrobbaen

Re: Of Oaths and Necessary Action

Postby Talancir on Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:19 pm

I think getting a code of conduct drawn up is a splendid idea. I would even go so far as to encourage that we get as much input as possible for it. having something visible by which we can use to arbitrate our own issues would be a very welcome step in the right direction.
PTP / RH - Eldri'caldeyi - former burgoisie (Press my shirt, lowly prole!), Architect of Ama'varde, Relic Hunter of Sohei Thunder.

Main Archive: Lysire'indris Beli'cadrin - Warden of the Twin Eyes "and Belph'aegor is a hottie!"
User avatar
Talancir
Vel'akar
 
Posts: 1147
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:49 pm
Location: wherever I am, dressed in fancy period clothing.
Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Re: Of Oaths and Necessary Action

Postby thatguyvex on Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:39 pm

I'll reserve deciding just how much or how little I'll support this idea once I see how the idea takes shape, but I'm leery of anything that could be used by members of the community to persecute other members of the community simply for being blunter in the stating of their opinions than others.

I mean, I'm the first advocate of being polite in debate, and will freely try to convince others to keep their heads cool when trying to make their points to others...but I'm no fan of the idea of seeing people get treated poorly or ignored merely because they don't sugar coat their posts, or worse, being punished for not sugar coating their posts.
There is a fine line between awesome and ridiculous. Badai uses that line to floss his teeth.

Kazdrin's Random Link: Bizzare. Amusing. Ruby Quest.
thatguyvex
Vel'akar
 
Posts: 1103
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:33 am
Clan: Tei'kaliath

Re: Of Oaths and Necessary Action

Postby Catriana on Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:56 pm

I'm kind of with Vex here...mostly because I've seen how folks can get about certain things. I am, however, not as optimistic as he.

"The right for your freedom of speech ends, where those freedom hurts the rights of speech, the dignity or feelings of others"

This quote, for one, is subjective, because what you feel is something that hurts 'the dignity or feelings of others' may just be you being overly sensitive and unable to handle someone giving you blunt honesty. Not everyone has a thick skin, the average person doesn't, from what I've experienced off and on the net. I sincerely doubt anyone could honestly live by this quote here, because realistically, it's not even possible and would be abused the moment it was attempted.

However.

That doesn't mean you can say whatever you want however you want and it be cool, especially in a forum like this. For one, saying whatever you want however you want can and probably will cause a retarded amount of drama that could have been avoided. Yeah, I get it that drama is going to happen here regardless, but have some class, at the very least. Try not to contribute to the problem. There's something called 'tact' and some folks here tend to not utilize it at all and turn around to say "you need to grow thicker skin". No, you need to not be an ass; sometimes the 'thin skinned' one ain't the only one with a problem. It goes both ways.

There are always various ways to say the same thing, how tactless you want to be about it is up to you, but it doesn't make it right or appropriate all the time. I'm pretty blunt here, but I have my limits, some folks don't and therein lies the problem. I try to avoid insulting individual's intelligence and I try to avoid insults period because insulting doesn't prove your point, it just means you don't have any better way of talking to someone than to be demeaning(and if you can't do that, I can't take you seriously). The same with being just outright nasty and crude; that's not 'blunt' and shouldn't be considered as such. No, sarcasm of a situation is not the same as being crude and nasty.

A code of conduct is impossible for a board such as this, but maybe I'll be proven wrong, who knows? For one, there are a lot of people here who are not only from completely different locations and thusly viewpoints. Some folks' native language is not English. I've seen some here say some things that, for an English speaker, comes off as being extremely harsh when in reality it was just a language issue. Trying to come up with 'laws' for this is a good way to cause a heavy amount of unnecessary conflict.

There is no 'cure all' for something like this because this is a charlie foxtrot of individuals in one place. Oh, you could establish something, but for it to work you'd have to be so strict on it that probably half of the folks here would quit, myself included. Boot camp proved that to me early on (being in a room with 60 females from all over for 9 weeks does not make for fun times, even with the hardcore low tolerance of the situation).
“The most I can do for my friend is simply be his friend." -Henry David Thoreau
User avatar
Catriana
Dragon of the Nether
 
Posts: 2947
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:04 am
Location: Washington

Re: Of Oaths and Necessary Action

Postby Jonarus_Drakus on Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:36 am

For the record, the CoC (which i am slowly piecing together on paper before comiting it to the briny deep- the web), is intended primary as a way to define the difference between active discussion of opinions and pointless arguing: "There's being Blunt, and there's being abusive. Blunt is good, abusive is not" (that line is almost certainly gonna work its way into the draft somewhere).

I ask that everyone remain patient, as i am somewhat of a perfectionist and may not post my draft for a while yet (not TOO long, but yeah).

Thanks,

JD
> J'hon D'rak Tei'Kaliath. D'rak Patriarch, KIA on the 12th day of the 3rd Moon
> Eh'rin D'rak Tei'Kaliath. D'rak Dev'ess: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=14467&p=765500#p758482
http://jonarus-drakus.deviantart.com/
User avatar
Jonarus_Drakus
Vel'akar
 
Posts: 1434
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:59 am
Location: Watching you from behind the Blue eye...
Clan: Beldrobbaen

Re: Of Oaths and Necessary Action

Postby Jonarus_Drakus on Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:13 pm

Again, not liking the double-post but whatever-

Just incase people are wondering, I'm still working on that draft CoC - its just that concerns over dealing with the current 'war' have taken priority.

JD
> J'hon D'rak Tei'Kaliath. D'rak Patriarch, KIA on the 12th day of the 3rd Moon
> Eh'rin D'rak Tei'Kaliath. D'rak Dev'ess: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=14467&p=765500#p758482
http://jonarus-drakus.deviantart.com/
User avatar
Jonarus_Drakus
Vel'akar
 
Posts: 1434
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:59 am
Location: Watching you from behind the Blue eye...
Clan: Beldrobbaen

Previous

Return to Conference Hall

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest