Where the clan gathers to discuss the issues raised in the Leader and Event archives.
The Conference Room is for serious discussion only.
Everyone is encouraged to participate, but this forum has special rules! Make sure to read it before posting!

Re: Tei'Kaliath traditions & culture (we need some pimping!!)

Postby waffleferret on Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:11 pm

hmmmm some of the world pages are outdated and old arn't they? I see a few things that are counted in the newer chapters ...
waffleferret
Vel'akar

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Re: Tei'Kaliath traditions & culture (MACRAME!!!)

Postby Ein'keos on Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:10 pm

I think Macrame is a great idea that the crafters should try out, but now that we have so much coloured cloth I've thought of one of my own! Check out the link below about Molas, a unique and beautiful type of clothing that can be produced with layers of coloured cloth. I don't suggest that we use their styles, but we could use that basic technique meshed with Tei'Kaliath motifs to create really interesting garments using a resource that we have in excess.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mola_(art_form)
Ein'keos Al'dun Teikaliath - Builder
Ein'keos
Vel'akar

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby Frost Indri on Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:03 am

Ok, I'm not a fan of macrame. For the most part it looks cheep to me, with a few exceptions. However, if the majority of people want us to try this, I'll go ahead and give it a try. But I'll need more than three people, even if two of them are my most active studio hands. So please, I'd love to hear it from the rest of you guys. Is this a good idea? Got any design ideas? How about some more examples?
Ka'hab, the potter.
Frost Indri
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Chronx6 on Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:37 am

I'm not a huge fan of it either but we could try it and see if it sells. Who knows, the common folk may like it as a cheap-ish way to get some jewelry. Or even the nobles may like it. We have no way of knowing without making a few and seeing if people will buy them.
Do the best you can with what you have.
Chronx6
Summoner

Postby kirio on Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:19 am

How about macrame hammocks?
Mana allows us to feel our connection to the world through the elements. Become one with that which thou wouldst change and the magic becomes effortless.
Cloudless Mind
kirio
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby waffleferret on Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:42 pm

macrame sells MUCH better on clotheing in a Mola tye thing , heck if we offer to do designs on peoples outfits they already own we are bound to make money :V and if it works then we can try macrame accersories and stuff :3
waffleferret
Vel'akar

Postby Hetros on Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:27 pm

Just to bring this back up, but something I've noticed consistently with our clan is that we're far more survivalist than most of the others. What I mean to say is that we're more concerned with the survival of the clan as a whole than with our image or standing (to a degree. What I mean to say is that we want position for the protection it offers more than anything else from what I can see right now, at least from an IC perspective. We want it OOCly because it's freaking awesome).

We've proven ourselves to be adaptable more than most other clans, we don't have a niche, and I'm wondering if we even want to find one. All of our actions (and this reflect in Anji) are focused towards survival and caution.

Now I'm wondering if we shouldn't keep on that line of adaptability and survival. We adapt to the situation as it changes rather than having a single set of traditions.

My second idea is based around the fact that we've got what is probably the largest plot of unoccupied land in the entire area.

It makes me wonder if we can't set up some deals with the rest of the minor clans at least, that would mean we establish a kind of totally neutral ground outside the city itself. An arena that isn't meant for entertainment as much as for settling disputes. When two clans would fight for control, they can instead send their troops to this controlled (very large) arena. This allows for the clans to fight it out in accordance with old chellian laws, while still having a valid way of proving that they are militarily superior. Hell, if we can get the earth magics for it we might even be able to build simulation areas of the places they are fighting over, to give the thing more validation. Further, sell seats too it, since everyone likes a good brawl. This further proves who is superior by spreading the news because people would have a chance to watch the battle without fleeing in terror for fear of being fried to a crisp or skewered on somebody's blade.

Just an idea... it MIGHT catch on if we could build a large enough arena and could get enough of the clans to sign on to it. Hell, even some of the major clans would be interested in getting on the deal even if they didn't want to fight in it, they'd have a place that is totally neutral to sell wares, show off the equipment they make, etc.etc.

what do you guys think?
Earth,fire,wind,and water all come together in perfect balance inside of a Smith's forge, this perfect harmony of elements can rarely be found anywhere else in existence.
~Hetros' Mentor
Hetros
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Wan'drille on Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:34 am

I disprove your idea:

Tough the idea sems nice, it would be very dangerous to put us as 'chel's arbitre' when we don't have the strengh to defend ourselves against any other clan. (plus, allowing troops sometimes stonger than ours in our territory...)

Making our cavern a neutral ground and promoting it may not be receive well by the major clan and may wake up the greed of some.

And finall, I don't think cheliansn would be interested in this 'battle map' offer --> fights would still occurs in chel, for it is impossible to set an ambush or else in a rendez-vous style fight (well, it is, but you know what I mean) : Chels way of fighting (and this apply for little clan) don't fit anymore the 'old chel laws'
Lae'xylian - Leader of the 3rd squad
Wan'drille
Summoner

Clan: Sarghress

Postby Bamawing on Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:57 pm

I adore the idea. :)

But Wan'drille is right.. we don't have the resources at this time to make that happen. It's a megaworthy long-term goal, though, if we ever become a Great Clan.
Bamawing
Vel'akar

Postby waffleferret on Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:30 am

I believe deeply in what hetros is trying to say we need to step it up , we have so little right now *hmmm* we don't have any solid ideal of what we want to do no real long term goals besides becomeing a major clan one day , every clan has thier thing thier focus that helps them build everything else they have around , kern gave us a whole lotta land we need to use too are advantage , and we also need to start ways of gain and comeing up with a more stable ideal of what our clan is instead of all these clans calling us worriors and us telling them "no we arn't ..we don't know what we are...um we're refugees that made a clan inorder to survive " we could at lest try to add something to tradition even if its only a basis to make money or something to inprove clan relations by makeing us look cool .

we could build ...lets say 10 small houses and find people with jobs that need money sence houseing is so bad offer low rent maby allow them to work for us here and them if they can't affored it all the time and test to see how that works , maby make some kinda atraction , slides or swings or something i don't know something of the sorts .

and befor someone brings back up the spa and resort we simply don't have the large sums of money , workforce or time to do such a thing now *hmmm*
waffleferret
Vel'akar

Postby Hetros on Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:56 pm

waffleferret wrote:we could build ...lets say 10 small houses and find people with jobs that need money sence houseing is so bad offer low rent maby allow them to work for us here and them if they can't affored it all the time and test to see how that works , maby make some kinda atraction , slides or swings or something i don't know something of the sorts .

GOD YES! This is brilliant. Offer free land and prebuilt shelters to those who want it and are willing to help in unskilled labor. They get paid by being given access to the food supplies like the rest of us, and since the majority would probably be helping with gathering supplies (or a great deal of them) it wouldn't result in a food shortage.

edit: Also, you misunderstand me on the point about being survivors. I'm saying that SHOULD be our theme.

No, seriously. Think of it this way. We are refugees in the same way the Dark Elves were. We have been driven far from our homes, without chance to really return. In a sense, we're the last remnant of our culture. We owe it too the fallen to continue and survive.

Just a thought ^_^
Earth,fire,wind,and water all come together in perfect balance inside of a Smith's forge, this perfect harmony of elements can rarely be found anywhere else in existence.
~Hetros' Mentor
Hetros
Dragon of the Nether

Postby waffleferret on Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:09 am

Hetros wrote:
waffleferret wrote:we could build ...lets say 10 small houses and find people with jobs that need money sence houseing is so bad offer low rent maby allow them to work for us here and them if they can't affored it all the time and test to see how that works , maby make some kinda atraction , slides or swings or something i don't know something of the sorts .

GOD YES! This is brilliant. Offer free land and prebuilt shelters to those who want it and are willing to help in unskilled labor. They get paid by being given access to the food supplies like the rest of us, and since the majority would probably be helping with gathering supplies (or a great deal of them) it wouldn't result in a food shortage.

edit: Also, you misunderstand me on the point about being survivors. I'm saying that SHOULD be our theme.

No, seriously. Think of it this way. We are refugees in the same way the Dark Elves were. We have been driven far from our homes, without chance to really return. In a sense, we're the last remnant of our culture. We owe it too the fallen to continue and survive.

Just a thought ^_^

thats a fricken awsome ideal :O ..we should serously consider that
waffleferret
Vel'akar

Re: Tei'Kaliath traditions & culture (Folk singing and Dancing)

Postby cat-eyes on Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:41 am

waffleferret wrote:In the topic about Anj'hali learning how to dance it dawned on me that we as a people must have Traditions and culture like our Tir'ay we must have
Art,Traditional Foods,Traditional storys, Style of clothing ,Ect this could be very helpful for us in clan relations and the market and our peoples moral , selling tradtional style Tei'Kaliath stuff for example may make a better profit then just selling plan stuff like with the decoration on the flutes.

When I was a child, my Grandmother showed me how to use the sword and the bow, the ancient weapons of our people. And she sang to me the story of our people. She sang of duty, honor and courage, the values of a true warrior. Alas! War has changed. Now strength is counted in steel, and even a peasant can kill a warrior. Is this honor? I do not care because I desire victory more than honor! My Grandmother would not like this new way, but she would see that we have courage. That I have courage. May it never be that we change that much.

Waffleferret is absolutely right! It's utterly ridiculous for a 2000+ year old people to be 'worker bee only' that is completely unrealistic and stupid.

First of all in the folk lore/stories that we get the elven myths from they are like ALWAYS singing and dancing. In both Celtic and Norse sources we are told of a fey elder race that can sometimes be seen laughing and feasting with music and dancing under the moon.

Come on ladies, lets get serious! Many of us who were unfortunate enough to be born in the English speaking world have never experienced the rich folk traditions of the non-English speaking world. The French Canadians here have access to a beautiful folk tradition and so do Germans, Scandinavians,Slavs all the Latin peoples and Celts!

English is unfortunately so prose heavy that we have a hard time imagining that in nearly all other languages in the world poems are SONGS. They sing them to each other! Imho these Drow should be singing more than talking. That is why my character Mar'ghali is so flowery with her speaking, and says that she heard her Grandmother singing ballads and sagas to her as a child instead of telling her them. You see, I imagine her to be a sort of singing Drow Shieldmaiden often singing or humming a ditty to herself. In the Drow cities I imagine the streets are likely to have guttersnipes singing children's songs, and caberets full of song and dance, They would be somewhat darker than light elven songs that's for sure, but beautiful in a dark sort of way. Drow armies on the march likely sing marching songs, after all, most of the armies on earth do. When you live with death only a hairs breadth away all the time I imagine a good song to celebrate a free moment is likely what would keep you sane, a sort of living life to the fullest because you can die at any time. It is also a sort of mnemonic where storytelling is concerned.

I once heard a type of singing from the Armorican peninsula of France that had an enchanting but dark elvish sound to it. The people from there are called Bretons and they traditionally sing with no instrumental accompaniment. The result is hauntingly beautiful. It is sylvan but sad at the same time. Almost like the forlorn hope that the Drow will return to the surface someday.
One of the songs that I have is called Ar galon digorr, I do not speak the language but it sounds like an elegy and is sung by one lone voice. The other one is called Tra-la-la-la-leno it is joyous but mocking and dark at the same time. It is sung in a very interesting style in which there are two parts - a woman sings one and a man sings the other and the verses are alternated and the chorus is sung by both singers together. If there was Drow folk music at the record store I'd bet it would sound similar to these two songs.

Tir'ay is probably derived from dancing, and is some sort of warriors dance-martial art. Sword fighting was taught in that way in the Celtic countries IRW was called 'the dance of blades'. Knights in Medieval France danced in full armor in order to stay fit and build dexterity. I imagine that we likely do a sort of warm up dance (tai-chi like) in the morning and then go on about our day working (and singing work songs?) the first half (6hrs-break-6hrs) and then spending the rest of the waking day singing, dancing, reading or playing games/sports before reverie sets in (elvish sleep)

Idk, those are my ideas if someone wants to elaborate. Or maybe suggest something else.
cat-eyes
Demon

Re: Tei'Kaliath traditions & culture (Folk singing and Dancing)

Postby waffleferret on Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:21 am

cat-eyes wrote:
waffleferret wrote:In the topic about Anj'hali learning how to dance it dawned on me that we as a people must have Traditions and culture like our Tir'ay we must have
Art,Traditional Foods,Traditional storys, Style of clothing ,Ect this could be very helpful for us in clan relations and the market and our peoples moral , selling tradtional style Tei'Kaliath stuff for example may make a better profit then just selling plan stuff like with the decoration on the flutes.

When I was a child, my Grandmother showed me how to use the sword and the bow, the ancient weapons of our people. And she sang to me the story of our people. She sang of duty, honor and courage, the values of a true warrior. Alas! War has changed. Now strength is counted in steel, and even a peasant can kill a warrior. Is this honor? I do not care because I desire victory more than honor! My Grandmother would not like this new way, but she would see that we have courage. That I have courage. May it never be that we change that much.

Waffleferret is absolutely right! It's utterly ridiculous for a 2000+ year old people to be 'worker bee only' that is completely unrealistic and stupid.

First of all in the folk lore/stories that we get the elven myths from they are like ALWAYS singing and dancing. In both Celtic and Norse sources we are told of a fey elder race that can sometimes be seen laughing and feasting with music and dancing under the moon.

Come on ladies, lets get serious! Many of us who were unfortunate enough to be born in the English speaking world have never experienced the rich folk traditions of the non-English speaking world. The French Canadians here have access to a beautiful folk tradition and so do Germans, Scandinavians,Slavs all the Latin peoples and Celts!

English is unfortunately so prose heavy that we have a hard time imagining that in nearly all other languages in the world poems are SONGS. They sing them to each other! Imho these Drow should be singing more than talking. That is why my character Mar'ghali is so flowery with her speaking, and says that she heard her Grandmother singing ballads and sagas to her as a child instead of telling her them. You see, I imagine her to be a sort of singing Drow Shieldmaiden often singing or humming a ditty to herself. In the Drow cities I imagine the streets are likely to have guttersnipes singing children's songs, and caberets full of song and dance, They would be somewhat darker than light elven songs that's for sure, but beautiful in a dark sort of way. Drow armies on the march likely sing marching songs, after all, most of the armies on earth do. When you live with death only a hairs breadth away all the time I imagine a good song to celebrate a free moment is likely what would keep you sane, a sort of living life to the fullest because you can die at any time. It is also a sort of mnemonic where storytelling is concerned.

I once heard a type of singing from the Armorican peninsula of France that had an enchanting but dark elvish sound to it. The people from there are called Bretons and they traditionally sing with no instrumental accompaniment. The result is hauntingly beautiful. It is sylvan but sad at the same time. Almost like the forlorn hope that the Drow will return to the surface someday.
One of the songs that I have is called Ar galon digorr, I do not speak the language but it sounds like an elegy and is sung by one lone voice. The other one is called Tra-la-la-la-leno it is joyous but mocking and dark at the same time. It is sung in a very interesting style in which there are two parts - a woman sings one and a man sings the other and the verses are alternated and the chorus is sung by both singers together. If there was Drow folk music at the record store I'd bet it would sound similar to these two songs.

Tir'ay is probably derived from dancing, and is some sort of warriors dance-martial art. Sword fighting was taught in that way in the Celtic countries IRW was called 'the dance of blades'. Knights in Medieval France danced in full armor in order to stay fit and build dexterity. I imagine that we likely do a sort of warm up dance (tai-chi like) in the morning and then go on about our day working (and singing work songs?) the first half (6hrs-break-6hrs) and then spending the rest of the waking day singing, dancing, reading or playing games/sports before reverie sets in (elvish sleep)

Idk, those are my ideas if someone wants to elaborate. Or maybe suggest something else.

Cat-eyes your more then welcome to contribute a few folk lores and what not in this topic
or here :http://forums.drowtales.com/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=13670
and here: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=13555

I'v been trying to get people to help me out with our image sence day one XD i'v got some support here and alot in the folklores and Traditions thread :w
waffleferret
Vel'akar

PreviousNext

Return to Conference Hall