Where the clan gathers to discuss the issues raised in the Leader and Event archives.
The Conference Room is for serious discussion only.
Everyone is encouraged to participate, but this forum has special rules! Make sure to read it before posting!

Tei'Kaliath traditions & culture

Postby waffleferret on Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:34 pm

In the topic about Anj'hali learning how to dance it dawned on me that we as a people must have Traditions and culture like our Tir'ay we must have
Art,Traditional Foods,Traditional storys, Style of clothing ,Ect this could be very helpful for us in clan relations and the market and our peoples moral , selling tradtional style Tei'Kaliath stuff for example may make a better profit then just selling plan stuff like with the decoration on the flutes.

so here I will list your Ideals for the Type of stuff we might be able to add in to our Tei'Kaliath culture :)
Danceing:special Anj'hali orginal!
Entertament:Tir'ay/ musical udu!
Art:swirlys and prehaphs soon Macrame!
Traditional Foods:algie and fish?
Traditional storys: see this thread please for all/any as well as details viewtopic.php?f=74&t=13555
Style of clothing:swirlys?
Ect:

NEW IDEAL!!
Hetros wrote:
waffleferret wrote:we could build ...lets say 10 small houses and find people with jobs that need money sence houseing is so bad offer low rent maby allow them to work for us here and them if they can't affored it all the time and test to see how that works , maby make some kinda atraction , slides or swings or something i don't know something of the sorts .

GOD YES! This is brilliant. Offer free land and prebuilt shelters to those who want it and are willing to help in unskilled labor. They get paid by being given access to the food supplies like the rest of us, and since the majority would probably be helping with gathering supplies (or a great deal of them) it wouldn't result in a food shortage.
Last edited by waffleferret on Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:03 am, edited 16 times in total.
waffleferret
Vel'akar

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Re: Tei'Kaliath traditions & culture

Postby AthenAltena on Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:28 am

We have an (informal) thread discussing possible clan animals, at the moment there appears to be no consensus. From what we've seen of minor clans most of them don't seem to have one, it may be a Val thing.

Well, as a food we do have ceak, but we might not to promote that too much...
AthenAltena
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby waffleferret on Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:46 am

ok no anamal i did'nt know someone already mentioned that if my tradion ideal is just old news can some one please post it hear so i wont bother with it anymore :)
waffleferret
Vel'akar

Postby Bamawing on Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:47 am

it's a fine idea, waffle!

/e will post ideas later when she has some.
Bamawing
Vel'akar

Postby Nerev on Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:51 pm

The Tei'Kaliath will naturally have an amalgation of old traditions and culture from the Fatherland. I'm sure there was more than one clan back there, even if one clan ruled the city. Survivors of these clans would therefore import their old traditions into the Tei'Kaliath.

Therefore, it's probably a good thing Nerev's the only Indaren that survived the fall and exodus.
Nerev cancels Be Annoying; interrupted by Rhesus Macaque
Nerev
Summoner

Location: If only my gi was oranger I could grow a monkey tail.
Clan: Vloz'ress

Postby waffleferret on Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:10 pm

which is why are clan should have a blend of these cultures or at lest blend a few, our clan is not very destinctive at the momment the new kid on the block thing dosen't last forever and we could use an edge
Last edited by waffleferret on Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
waffleferret
Vel'akar

Postby blackshade10 on Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:35 am

Nerev wrote:The Tei'Kaliath will naturally have an amalgation of old traditions and culture from the Motherland. I'm sure there was more than one clan back there, even if one clan ruled the city. Survivors of these clans would therefore import their old traditions into the Tei'Kaliath.

Therefore, it's probably a good thing Nerev's the only Indaren that survived the fall and exodus.

Fix't. :B
Drowtales RP Review Assistant
Unofficial DTRPG Newbie Helper
--
Elk Cros'sin Val'Sullisin'rune - "Awww, how cute. You think you can take me."
Ash'vari Ist'aven Val'Sullisin'rune - "Zzzzz... Wait what?"
blackshade10
Dark Chibi Demon

Location: Ashie Cleavage, plotting war against those of the Zala cleavage.
Clan: Sullisin'rune

Postby Meckruco on Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:22 pm

The Conference Room is for serious discussion only.
Everyone is encouraged to participate, but this forum has special rules! Make sure to read it before posting
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum" If you desire peace, prepare for war.
House the of Will of Fire
Fourth Tir'ay Champ is Meck the bear killer.
Meckruco
Vel'akar

Postby minalia on Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:11 pm

in terms of culture what about written litterature or what kind of alphabet are we using?
Should we simply use teh one we use on forums or will it be written that we use some kind of rune like alphabet in the game world that needs mana to read it or we all can read the books in the orthobas at Chel?
A survivalist should not be a pessimist, he should always be positive, happy and enjoying life more than anyone else because he understands that each minute of peace we have is precious and unique, and he never takes it for granted.
minalia
Dragon of the Nether

Postby waffleferret on Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:08 pm

minalia wrote:in terms of culture what about written litterature or what kind of alphabet are we using?
Should we simply use teh one we use on forums or will it be written that we use some kind of rune like alphabet in the game world that needs mana to read it or we all can read the books in the orthobas at Chel?

I think thats a cool ideal but most likely we use the same Alphabet and Language but just a little bit of differation sence we can talk to them and written languages don't change as fast as spoken do.
waffleferret
Vel'akar

Postby benuminister on Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:29 am

Well we have some already which manifests itself in Tir'ay and the Veiled Script RPs. Aside from that, culture would be hard to determine due to the fact each individual who registers for roleplay would have a different would have a different take on the Old Clan's society rather a unified picture.

So I would have to say our culture at the moment is amalgam of different cultures like Canada, Great Britain and France.
Tei'Kaliath: Biel (Bay-elle) Tel'mari, Forge Master and Novice at the Hammer Toss

EA process:
Friday: Post -> Saturday: Discuss and Edit -> Sunday: Final Draft

The Al'dun, more then just another family.
benuminister
Vel'akar

Postby blackshade10 on Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:17 am

benuminister wrote:Well we have some already which manifests itself in Tir'ay and the Veiled Script RPs. Aside from that, culture would be hard to determine due to the fact each individual who registers for roleplay would have a different would have a different take on the Old Clan's society rather a unified picture.

So I would have to say our culture at the moment is amalgam of different cultures like Canada, Great Britain and France.

At the same time however, Madea makes sure that all backgrounds have some correlation, and blend better.
Drowtales RP Review Assistant
Unofficial DTRPG Newbie Helper
--
Elk Cros'sin Val'Sullisin'rune - "Awww, how cute. You think you can take me."
Ash'vari Ist'aven Val'Sullisin'rune - "Zzzzz... Wait what?"
blackshade10
Dark Chibi Demon

Location: Ashie Cleavage, plotting war against those of the Zala cleavage.
Clan: Sullisin'rune

Postby kirio on Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:43 pm

Tir'ay was a chance waiting to happen. When the RP registration first started, Madea noticed that a majority of the characters had included martial arts and/or weaponless combat skill in their descriptions and suggested we declare it part of old city culture to general cheering. Every other idea that has been suggested only had minority support and soon got shot down by a chorus of boos. XD

I think we got pretty lucky with the Tir'ay thing being so popular from the start. The closest thing we've had to it is vague agreement that the architecture of Ther'avare should be a loose mix of Persian and Hindu, but even that gets rehashed in debate every time it's brought up. ^^;

VS isn't a generally accepted thing and probably never will be nor is the religious order it is derived from. Things like them will also remain marginal. Cultural concepts like those require a lot of time and effort to create and are very controversial, NOT a winning combination. ^^;

Tir'ay only required thinking up a name and a listing of obvious basic categories, all worked out and posted in their own thread within two or three weeks of the idea being presented in the discussion thread (P2P only had one forum at that time). After that it was left to the whims of the players to invent a kaleidoscope of 'schools' (nearly one for every player claiming Tir'ay skill) each with its own unique (and very sketchily defined) description. That preserved the general acceptance of Tir'ay among the members but assured that a well defined and truly unique martial art form will never arise. At this point I doubt that most of the warriors (let alone the other members) have ever bothered to read Madea's posts defining just what Tir'ay is (which is a shame since Madea put a hell of a lot of work into it to get the concept up and running).

It poses a serious problem to coming up with traditions or definitive cultural activities. A completely isolated city of 20,000 derived from the refugees from a single surface nation is going to have only a very limited range of traditions and a mostly homogenized culture. There just isn't the population available to support a lot of diversity. While the Tei'kaliath should have traditions and culture that is quite different from that of Chel'el'Sussoloth, the differences between individual Tei'kaliath should be much LESS than between the citizens of Chel who live in a city 5 to 10 times bigger and dirived from more than NINE different surface nations.

However, the MEMBERS are from several different countries with cultures so different that their native languages are different and are from a base population 67,000 times bigger than Chel's. ^^; Trying to get the members to agree on any tradition or cultural practice is a fool's errand. No matter WHAT is proposed the majority will oppose it because they either dislike it on principle or because they are convinced their own idea is better (even if they have no intention of ever putting in the time to work that idea out).

This doesn't take into account that the base of any culture concept that is proposed has to be the world setting which is in many ways radically different from any human culture (something which a majority of the members can't even follow with their character descriptions even after Madea beats them over the head with a stick XD ).
Mana allows us to feel our connection to the world through the elements. Become one with that which thou wouldst change and the magic becomes effortless.
Cloudless Mind
kirio
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby waffleferret on Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:09 pm

well i kinna thought this was a roleplaying game and had nothing to do with your culture but if thats the was people feel ^^; *shrugs* maby this wasn't a good ideal after all
waffleferret
Vel'akar

Postby Wan'drille on Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:19 am

Aww, don't worry.

With time passing, we acquire a similar sub-culture related to PtP, so we can assume that, little by little, we will come up with some common point between the majority of us, wich could be considered as traditionnal item. (however, it's just a theory)

And, I think too people should bow a bit more to the world setting contraints
Lae'xylian - Leader of the 3rd squad
Wan'drille
Summoner

Clan: Sarghress

Next

Return to Conference Hall