Where the clan gathers to discuss the issues raised in the Leader and Event archives.
The Conference Room is for serious discussion only.
Everyone is encouraged to participate, but this forum has special rules! Make sure to read it before posting!

Re: Tei'Kaliath traditions & culture

Postby waffleferret on Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:02 pm

people have brought up the fact Anj'hali needs training in culture , if you want to help with ideals to make said culture then this is the place :]
My first ideal is we need an library
waffleferret
Vel'akar

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby Madea on Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:27 pm

Tamato, we develop our culture through how we act and that, in turn, gets used. You can't train An'jhali in "culture", it's too broad.

Path to Power is at a size and consistency where we cannot just make stuff up and agree on it anymore, because a large chunk of people won't get the memo.
Madea
Pineapple Warmaster

Location: In EVA above Green Ball, surrounded by Space Kitties!
Clan: Sharen

Postby waffleferret on Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:18 pm

Madea wrote:Tamato, we develop our culture through how we act and that, in turn, gets used. You can't train An'jhali in "culture", it's too broad.

Path to Power is at a size and consistency where we cannot just make stuff up and agree on it anymore, because a large chunk of people won't get the memo.

This threads not about training Anji this one is for "culture" that can be anything from makeing a library too recording commen designs and things that the clan likes , I doubt even 30% will be ever cannon or agreed on by a large precent but trying to organize and talk about it won't hurt .
There are many things culture can include from the systems we set up to do things such as growing , to how we treat are slaves to even what foods we grow and where we come from.

If you look at my other topic that is about train Anj'hali i'm trying to break down training her in culture in specific areas such as small talk and how not to give things away at meetings and how to let the clan be seen the way we want it to be seen. It's a large area but it needs to be taken on a small chunk at a time slowly .
waffleferret
Vel'akar

Postby waffleferret on Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:13 am

Is the Talr'ay tournament count as a tradition (not the art it's self but the tornament)
waffleferret
Vel'akar

Postby Lyrthis on Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:24 am

Hiya all,

JD asked me to post my idea of a Drow Lyke Wake or Funeral Ceremony to this thread too(original concept can be found in the "We are D'rak" thread here and is for J'hons Funeral Feast)

I just put it in a more general Form, so it could be used for everyone and is used if you don't have the body of the deceased.

Every one brings a stone he picked and engraved with the name of the loved one(or loved ones, if more then one) personally and all gather in a circle, it starts with the closest or oldest family member(of the Family that invited everyone), which will place the first Stone on the ground and cuts his/her Finger(or Hand, Arm, even Breast, depends on how deep the mourning is, Hand is the most common, Breast is most only used if a Ill'har or a Lover dies) to redraw the Name on the Stone with the Blood drawn. While doing this He/She tells/recounts a quote or story(without using dead's name) that remembers what she did like in the Dead, inspired her or made her laugh. Then the youngest of the Family brings a Chalice with a bit of wine/beer/mead in it to catch a few drops(or more) of Blood from the cut and while the drops fall, the mourner says:

Blood of my Blood, "FULL name of the Dead"!(eg. J'hon D'rak Tei'kaliath)

and all present answer:

I'll remember you!

then the Rest of the family(in no particular order, but mostly its from oldest to youngest) places their stones, tell a story, bleed into the Chalice and say the Name... Then Friends, Coworkers and everyone else follows.

when the last one did place his Stone and put his Blood into the Chalice, this one will then take the Chalice and say:

For Blood, Clan and Family!

then drinks a sip from the gathered blood, after that the Chalice wanders in reverse order through all participants, everyone has to take a sip(or at least pretend to do so) till it reaches the first mourner again.
He/She will then take a BIG gulp from the Chalice, turn it over above the pile of stones(and its a sign of good fortune if there is still Blood in it splashing/dripping onto the Stones) and say:

For Blood, Clan and Family! Tei'kaliath Remember!

and all answer:

I'll remember!

Then the Feast starts, with wine, music and laughter, more storytelling and quite likely an orgy(as it is a special sign of Luck if a child is conceived after/in a wake, its a sign of the strength of life)

i hope you all find it fitting for Drows.
Lyrthis D'rak Tei'Kaliath.
D'rak Family Thread

PS:if i'm using the wrong words, please tell me, my native tongue is german, but i'm willing to learn :)
Lyrthis
Tainted

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby waffleferret on Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:42 pm

Thank you :w its good to see others are morning the fallen too may they all rest in peace. , I like the short and sweet ideal for a precession as well.
waffleferret
Vel'akar

Postby Meska369 on Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:16 pm

VERY cool...

Lyrthis, let me do a rewrite of what you posted and improve it to even more Tel'kaliath heights. It's really a very good ritual already.

I love it.

*twitches*

But I would love to opportunity to add something. I'll talk to Kirio and see what he thinks. If we can add something cool to it then I'll send it to you in a Private Message and see if you like it.

If you don't then you can swat me on the nose with a lightly rolled up newspaper and say "NO! BAD Meska... BAD!" LOL! XD

"I would love to lay pipe... but I have no pipe to lay" - Meska369
Meska369
Dragon of the Nether

Location: When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. - Mark Twain

Postby Lyrthis on Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:58 pm

Meska369 wrote:VERY cool...
Lyrthis, let me do a rewrite of what you posted and improve it to even more Tel'kaliath heights. It's really a very good ritual already.
I love it.
*twitches*
But I would love to opportunity to add something. I'll talk to Kirio and see what he thinks. If we can add something cool to it then I'll send it to you in a Private Message and see if you like it.
If you don't then you can swat me on the nose with a lightly rolled up newspaper and say "NO! BAD Meska... BAD!" LOL! XD

np, it's an abridged version of a Ceremony two Friends and me invented for a D&D/AD&D-game of Drows we played... and its really shortened, the original was about 4 to 5 pages long if i recall right, but most of it has references to lloth and the Underdark/Forgotten Realms setting(sadly i can't find my copy anymore). We wrote it because two of our fellow Players lost their Characters, heroically fending off a wild Dragon we ran into.

So, if you're rewriting it a bit, its ok, just PM it to me when you're ready.
Lyrthis D'rak Tei'Kaliath.
D'rak Family Thread

PS:if i'm using the wrong words, please tell me, my native tongue is german, but i'm willing to learn :)
Lyrthis
Tainted

Postby Lumini on Wed May 11, 2011 11:57 pm

This is a really good example of a way to effectively add culture into the clan. Lyrthis' wake ceremony is beautiful, well thought-out, timely and optional. I think that the best way to do things like this is to tie it to a specific Family or group, (in this case, Dr'ak,) and open it to anyone who wishes to follow that tradition. That way, you have a group of people who are almost guaranteed to participate, so it gets some recognition, and it doesn't get shot down by dissenters because no one is required to comply with this tradition. I like the VS for that reason also, though it is not tied to a family. I think that if we want culture, we should do it grass-roots style, on the family/small group level. Perhaps the Families of the old city were like the clans of Chel, but smaller. Each had their own way of doing things, and while (mostly) friendly, they were individualistic, and developed their own customs and traditions. The traditions that gain the most followers will naturally come into the comic, like tir'ay and the Wake have.
Lumini'chal-- "All life is an experiment."
Adum'ir--- "Cursed is the man who dies, but the evil done by him survives."
Lumini
Summoner

Postby waffleferret on Thu May 19, 2011 10:21 pm

Maby we should think about a festivel to celibrate are new home...after we get settled which will take awhile but we could make it an annual thing , a founding maby set up a monument to make the day we settled into the old world.
waffleferret
Vel'akar

Postby Aurawyn on Fri May 20, 2011 1:13 am

waffleferret wrote:Maby we should think about a festivel to celibrate are new home...after we get settled which will take awhile but we could make it an annual thing , a founding maby set up a monument to make the day we settled into the old world.

I was just thinking something similar when i saw this..

I support this message!
-Rizalee Sel'kestal
Tir'ay Performer
Survivor of the Fall of Shifaye'sindil
Injured during the Fall of Ther'avare
Hopeful for the Future of the Tei'Kaliath

Wanna try out the MMO RIFT?
Aurawyn
Demon

Previous

Return to Conference Hall