Freshly remodeled, the Game Tavern serves as your place to go to participate in roleplay or gaming threads with other members of the forum.

Pathfinder

Pathfinder

Postby Darthar » Thu May 05, 2011 5:28 am

I got really interested in this game. I've heard alot of good things and some bad things. Got the core rule book and am still giving it a look over. Has anyone played or have any gm experience running this game? Essentially its DND 3.75 with major fixes to the last system.
Darthar
Nether Spawn

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Re: Pathfinder

Postby The Watcher » Thu May 05, 2011 9:35 pm

I've played it. Pretty darn fun stuff IMO, although it's not perfect.
The Watcher
Summoner

Postby blackshade10 » Fri May 06, 2011 12:00 am

I'm a fan of 3.5. Been eager to try out Pathfinder.
blackshade10
Dark Chibi Demon

Location: Ashie Cleavage, plotting war against those of the Zala cleavage.
Clan: Sullisin'rune

Postby blackshade10 » Fri May 06, 2011 7:17 am

I miss the party member who had a diplomacy modifier of like.... 40 something. What he couldn't make love us, my barbarian ripped their spines out and beat them to death with it.

Was good times. :]
blackshade10
Dark Chibi Demon

Location: Ashie Cleavage, plotting war against those of the Zala cleavage.
Clan: Sullisin'rune

Postby The Watcher » Fri May 06, 2011 4:30 pm

Duke Nukem wrote:I myself love D&D, because of it's range of ludircrously game breaking abilities available to anyone who mathematically works the game out.

For example, a 3.5 edition character which is not high level and does not require feats from an obscure sourcebook (everything can be found in the Player's Handbook 3.5) is a bard with a modifier that gives +30 to his Bluff checks for a duration (10 minutes per caster level). The penalty to your Bluff skill check for telling a lie that is completely and utterly unbelievable ("I am the Moon.") is +20 to the DC. With this, you can quite easily convince a king that you and he were actually secretly swapped at birth and that by all rights he is sitting on your throne.

Under the rules as written, it requires a result of 50 to turn someone willing to take risks to hurt you (Hostile) into an ally willing to take risks to help you (Helpful). Considering it's legally possible to build characters who get +72 to their Diplomacy rolls by level 6, in theory you need never carry a single weapon nor fight anyone in your life, since you'll only have to open your mouth for roughly 10 seconds to immediately enlist the help of virtually anyone who wants to hurt you.

Essentially, you've become a living care bear. This is the kind of simple, elegant build that can make a DM go "What the ^%$##*@!^?!"

And using sourcebooks only adds to the possibilities! The highlights include infinite stats, ascending to divinity at level 1, running faster than the speed of light to throw an enemy to the moon, prestige classes that do trillions of points of damage per round, and leveling cities with a 4th-level spell.

This is what I hate most out of DnD... >_>
The Watcher
Summoner

Postby Darthar » Sun May 08, 2011 1:25 am

I'm a newb when it comes to tabletop gaming. I love the lore and tried my luck on tg. I got some help from friendly fa/tg/uys and got a listing for players. I'm more casual towards crunching, but at the same time if I sat down and plotted out the numbers, it'd be interesting to create a game-breaking character for shits and giggles. Even though I figure the GM will shut it down with a gazebo style response.

I just want to play something with a group of like 4-6 people. TG's helpful but half the time I get a dead end.

It's summertime soon so I want to have a side hobby even if it's only for the summer.

Oh and we created a barbarian that with the right feats and abilities essentially can wear heavy plate while retaining its speed bonuses with incurring penalities. A raging platemail wall of steel and 220lbs of rage.

Fun times.
Darthar
Nether Spawn

Postby The Watcher » Sun May 08, 2011 7:11 pm

See, all of this stuff is possible, and I can find it amusing as a mental exercise when I see the results, but I detest when people actually try to play such things.

I absolutely refuse to play that way, myself. I'm interested in making a character and telling a story, not obtaining MORE PLUSSES and EXPLOITS.

Also, there are online dice rollan sites. And, well, if roleplaying honesty and honor system works fine enough when there are no rules, and you know the people you're roleplaying with, why shouldn't it hold true for dice rolls in an RP that also has a system?
The Watcher
Summoner

Postby grfu » Tue May 17, 2011 6:39 pm

Pathfinder eh? This intrigues me . . .
grfu
Vel'akar

Clan: Illhar'dro

Postby Zenzetra » Wed May 18, 2011 2:08 pm

Duke Nukem wrote:I myself love D&D, because of it's range of ludircrously game breaking abilities available to anyone who mathematically works the game out.

For example... cities with a 4th-level spell.

If someone does that in a D&D campaign the DM should alter the game-plan a little to make that skill's use detrimental (or even fatal) to the character or their party.

That kind of power play could easily be exploited with a "magic mouth" trap.. or truth spell?
Zenzetra
Tainted

Postby grfu » Wed May 18, 2011 3:08 pm

The GM can always say "It doesn't work." Maybe one of you components was flawed or maybe you didn't pronounce a syllable for the spell correctly. Remember, you may be able to wield unimaginable power, but your unimaginable power is contingent upon the whims of the GM, who happens to have ultimate power over these things.
grfu
Vel'akar

Clan: Illhar'dro

Return to Game Tavern