Freshly remodeled, the Game Tavern serves as your place to go to participate in roleplay or gaming threads with other members of the forum.

Plains of Blood III- Game Thread

Re: Plains of Blood III- Game Thread

Postby DeadPigeonGolem » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:44 pm

((So, Kithrune, I'm going to assume that you are NOT attacking me, because you head north))

The light beams were vicious, powerful, but ((I theorize)) ultimately overly linear. Euler 3 was entirely blown out of the sky. Subsequently, Euler Flight split up. "Meet back with the army!!" Euler 1 shouted before diving for the deck. With luck, the ground would blot out his radar and heat signature. Euler 2 and 4 peeled off in separate directions and began a rolling scissors. The constant movement would hopefully make it difficult for the guardian to lead its shot and blow them out of the sky. ((Question: Do any of The One's minions have an ammo capacity?))

Meanwhile, Reimann 1 and 2 had heard their comrade's calls for help and were vectoring in from the southeast. The great glinting beastie twisted in the distance. Activating their line of sight missiles and slaving the lock to their LOS Targeting System, they followed and tracked the enemy fighter, holding fairly steady to make their aim more accurate. Notably, the LOS Targeting System sends commands to the missiles to vector an intercept path towards the coordinates that the pilot was looking at. It does NOT utilize a radar lock, making it in-detectable to anti-radar warning systems. Reimann 1 and 2 steadied their flight patterns into more swooping motions and fired a LOS Missile each, keeping their eyes fixed on the enemy.

Reimann 3 and 4 waited on standby, Reimann 1 having told them to hold back in case Reimann 1 and 2 needed back up. Better to risk less lives, after all. They formed a slow orbit over the mass of shadow. Suffering from anxious boredom, Reimann 3 looked down. "Hey lead, you see that chain?"
"Yeah, why?"
"Whaddya think it does?"

Gauss Flight was lucky. The scouts had never spotted them ((or SOMEONE forgot to mention them XD )) and had led them straight back to their base. They took photographs, recorded the position, and turned back. The Dromes could handle this better, they had better optical systems.

General Menesthecles did indeed order Dromes forward. As Gauss Flight flew back, the bounding Dromes passed beneath them, running and jumping for unusually massive air and headed towards both the Steamscale Faction and the Fire and Stone faction. By the time that the Steamscale Bombers had made their strike, twenty dromes were around each camp, taking photos, notes, videos, and generally gathering information. They'd only just arrived, so they hadn't gotten much down (mostly stuff you'd get after ten or fifteen minutes of observation), but were quickly rectifying the situation.

Meanwhile, the Army had stopped in what appeared to be a gap between two sections of a MASSIVE wall. Depending on the threat from the two factions within range of the dromes, the Army would either wheel west for the forest to camp or west for the forest to attack. If they were lucky, maybe one of the two armies would even be willing to form an alliance ((HINT HINT))? In any case, the Army had arrayed itself in a large semi-circle with Hoplites on the outside, followed by the Cavalry and Patakos walkers as a second line of defense. After that, the support units and gastraphes hunkered down, gastraphes training their guns in the sky and hoping to catch any incoming enemy planes. The thirty dromes patrolled beyond the lines while the remaining thirty waited. They would switch roles very hour.
Last edited by DeadPigeonGolem on Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeadPigeonGolem
Vel'akar

Clan: Sarghress

Postby Eltharrion » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:58 pm

((Kithrune, I take your bombers are attacking my units in forest. I just like to point out that even knowing where they are in the forest and thus making an effective attack should be next to impossible due to army special ability and web of lies cast over them. And all aerial units are also hiding. I won't say you can't bomb me, but I'd like to remind you about the fact that my army is a MASTER of staying hidden. Let it at least only be the scout unit. They, you can actually spot due to fact they are on the open. And I think "few hours" and automatic free attack in one post is rather... Harsh. You could leave a possibility for me to do something in reaction, as we know there was a lot of defense systems set up there. Snipers, traps, scouts... Thanks. And sorry, to avoid my whole army disappearing here, I'm going to do a really annoying thing here...))

Agetaosh lifted his eyes up to the sky, barely seeing anything trough the dense formation of the forest. But he heard the explosions, felt the warm wave blasting trough the forest, and saw the large pile of smoke rising.
"I take your plan has worked, then?"
Ruler nodded toward two of the remaining illusionists not occupied by maintaining the Web, who in return nodded back in honorable manner.
"Yes, high Ruler. Enemy flight bombardiers have engaged our mirror images. It will take up few moments for them to realize we aren't really there."

With this effect on, Ruler made quick order of chain with each squad leader. Then, as a single entity, the army mobilized as the web was un-weaved.
Then, with next step, they dispersed among the woods, each taking their own route with their squad. Dwellers among their corsair, wardens in their squads, Raiders and Skyraiders with engines silent, and Ruler and Children heading off with the last corsair.
And suddenly, not a single soul could be found to be in the woods, and it was quiet yet again.

---

Out in the field, the last survivor of the scout unit laid on his back in ever-growing pool of blood. He had got hit by a frag of an explosion. The rest were already dead, and warden had already retreated. No matter, the scout knew he was beyond saving.
But, it seemed enemy had wasted a lot of resources with this bombardment. And now they were cleaning up the illusion images of the Skyraiders among the clouds.
As the last of these false beings fell down and dispersed into thin mist, scout could only do one thing anymore. With grin and the last of his life, he lifted his arm up and pointed middle-finger to the air. "just shut up and fu-..."

[losses: 3 scouts]
Eltharrion
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby Kithrune » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:46 pm

((My bad, new to this. I'll assume the bombers are dead but everyone else can see the smoke. I would like to know what the rules for movement speed are though. I have no idea how big the map or how much land can be covered in a day.))
Kithrune
Tainted

Clan: Illhar'dro

Postby DeadPigeonGolem » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:18 pm

((I got across the battlefield in about 15 minutes with my planes. Then again, my planes are designed to travel at about 200-something miles per hour and higher, which is TONS more than the average marching pace. Given something like 4 miles per hour for marchers, you're dragons in flight can make 8 miles per hour. Now, since it took my planes, cruising at 230 mph, 15 minutes to get from the bridge to The One, you'd get 57.5 miles from the bridge to The One. It appears that the difference from the Sun and Moon and the Steam Scale is about half that, so 28.75 miles. IF my calculations are correct, you're about 3.5 days flight away from the Sun and Moon.

Hm.... Well, technically, you shouldn't have even been able to SEE the guys. Hmm.......... I guess we'll say that your steam machines can move much faster than 8 miles per hour. So, like, 30 miles per hour over 28.75 miles is, like, 50 some minutes. That makes more sense. In fact, why wouldn't you have just hitched with the steam machines? If enemy sighted, jump off and go to battle.))

((Also, I hereby reserve my 1000 points for further use))

((Also, source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_step )
DeadPigeonGolem
Vel'akar

Postby The Watcher » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:37 pm

The shift had well and truly caught the Bronze Host by surprise.

An hour ago, King Hakarion's men had been marching through the forbidding snows of the Navoreth Plateau, ready to do battle with the hill men who dwelt there. Snow had been falling thick around them as they traveresed the wide spaces in between whitened evergreen groves, snow deep and soft that had blunted out the sound of the marching army, leaving only silence and the howling of the wind. Then they took their next collective step, and the world shifted around them. Images bled into each other and whirled in a hazy kaleidescope of snow and rock and tree and sky, until they found themselves marching not to the walled village at the end of the plateau, but through a pass down the side of unfamiliar mountains, the horizon shrouded in fog. They attempted to march back, but found they could not, that any movement only took them somehow forwards. It was only as they cleared the mountains and moved forward into the lands beyond that the mists cleared and reality settled again.

Earth. There was no snow. And there was heat.

What was this place?

Impossibly, the ground before them lay bare, gray and sullen and softer than summer soil. There should have been permafrost buried beneath snow. The weather should have been cold enough to make an Icewyrm shiver, yet suddenly the Legion was decidedly uncomfortable in their heavy furs. It was shocking, baffling, anathema to what they new. King Hakairon called his alchemists and his Grey Warden to him to puzzle out what had happened to them. The coven of alchemists concluded that the aetheric residues upon the men and in the area suggested a sort of translation, transmuted from one place to a place decidedly Other. Where exactly that was... Who could know?

Hakairon was determined that his loyal Host should take it in stride, and so he addressed them all personally.

"Long ago, our forefathers passed beyond the borders of the known world, and made it theirs, for such is the might of the Phaedrin."
"Long ago, we each and every one of us swore an oath, that we would venture beyond the borders of the known world and not rest until our might uncovered its secrets and added it to our mighty realm."
"Long ago, long before today, we ventured beyond that border. Long ago we added new lands to our own, but we did not stop, did not shirk, did not falter. It was our right and our pride as Phaedrin, warriors of bronze, the nation of kings, to go further still, and see all that came before us fall to its knees before the majesty of our people! Long ago we surpassed the minimums of our duty, for we are the Phaedrin, and we do not give in, we do not say 'it cannot be done'! Today, we have stepped beyond yet another border, beyond the known world in perhaps the truest sense this Bronze Host has ever done in all its history. Today we are the ultimate explorers, the ultimate pioneers, marching boldly into a new world. Today as ever we are Phaedrin, we are Warriors, we are Conquerors, and we shall make this strange new land our own!"

To the sound of thunderous cheering, Hakairon strode into his tent with his council of advisors, and his right hand, the Grey Warden Machaira. There, he began to lay his plans...
--------------------------------------------------------------------

The Bronze Host emerges onto the field and moves into the mountains they portaled in near to, seeking the comfort of familiar and easily defended terrain for their initial base of operations. Alchemical divinations see that scouting teams of twenty Tribesmen, with their natural affinities for wilderness travel and tracking, in all important directions.

Now then... what's all been sent into my area so far? I'm having trouble sifting through all the initial posts and don't want to miss anything...
The Watcher
Summoner

Postby DeadPigeonGolem » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:47 pm

((If you look up, there should be a dogfight about 10 miles from your position between me and The One. Meanwhile, The Fire and Rock has been chilling while Steamscale just air-striked an illusion of the Sun and Moon army. Also, The Watcher/Duke, any objections to the ~58 mile long platform?))
DeadPigeonGolem
Vel'akar

Postby The Watcher » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:16 pm

((Hmm, that sounds about right, with it taking a couple days to cover a significant distance by foot. Good mathwork there mate. ;)

Also, I'm going to suggest we hold off until page 3 to start gaining reinforcements. After all, things have just barely gotten started, it doesn't quite make sense for a large wave of reinforcements to show up yet.

Also also, from this point on we should probably post any further OOC posts to the signup thread instead, to avoid artificially inflating the page count.))

From her mountain vantage, Machaira and her fellow alchemists watched the explosions and trails of flame rocking the evening sky of this new world.
"This must be powerful alchemy," she commented grimly. "For explosions to be seen in the sky, at such a distance. And something moving faster on trails of flame than any creature with wings."

The nearest alchemist nodded. "Indeed. It's possible this might be some sort of alchemical flying craft. Whatever it is, it means there are others here with significant alchemical skill. Our conquest of this world might not prove easy." At that, the Grey Warden snorted. "Somehow, I doubt Hakairon would want it any other way."

Their conversation was cut short however by the arrival of two incendiary creatures, headed straight for them. Impossible beasts of fire and stone, igniting plant matter and flash-melting snow to steam as they passed. As they neared, Machaira reacted in less than an instant. Bringing up her antique arquebus, she sighted and fired, an armor-piercing orichalcum bolt screaming from the weapon on a tongue of flame to strike the lead creature. Dropping her arquebus back into its sheath on her riding beast, she drew the Warden's Blade, lightning instantly screeching and crackling along its length. If the other creature continued to threaten them, it would taste a blast of alchemical lightning once it came too close.
The Watcher
Summoner

Postby Shamus » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:38 am

The lead Lava Beast approaching the Grey Warden took the hit between the shoulder and "head," a lethal hit on most creatures. The armour-piercing round punched through the body with a splatter of magma, the body itself shattering literally into many pieces. The back end flailed around in the snow, too badly damaged to do much at this point. The other pieces were too small to do anything more than tremble, "dying" and cooling in the snow.

The Other Lava Beast paused, contacting the Source for further instruction.

The Source had been about to send a couple of Sentinels up to investigate Riemann 1 and 2 when they abruptly veered off to engage in aerial combat. The ensuing battle and the report of the Lava Beast in the mountain was of great concern. The Source immediately ordered a withdrawal to observe from a distance. The Lava Beast turned and fled.

The information being relayed by the other scouting Lava Beasts was also of concern, though slightly less so. Those attempting to scout out the Steam Scale and Sun and Moon groups had difficulty in locating the Sun and Moon, and once they did there was the attack by the Steam Scale. The two approaching the army of the One reported that the army was headed directly toward the Source's present location.

Again the Source and the Old One conferred.

The threat level of these various groups seemed to be greater than most of those encountered by the Guardians before. They would have to be attended to, but the question was in what order? There were too few Guardians to engage all of them at once with reasonable chances of sucess.

The Source wished to act immediately against all nearby units, but the Old One advocated patience, waiting for the intentions of the groups to become clear. In the meantime they could refine their approach and fortify their position.

The Source relayed the appropriate orders and instructions.

One of the Lava Beasts scouting the One started moving again, continuing toward the approaching army, more slowly now. The other remained where it was, merely observing.

The other scouts continued observing the actions of the other factions, seeming to be largely ignored in the chaos of battle, or in the case of those factions not fighting, simply unnoticed or quietly watched in turn.

Meanwhile the Source stepped up its efforts, stoking its fires ever hotter, scorching the land as it began to move faster. Its trail of destruction was larger than ever, leaving little but broken and melting rock left in its wake.

The Old One flared with a reddish glow, the air around him rippling with heat as he clenched his fist, staring deadfast at the landscape. After a few moments the ground began to tremble and crack. A few more moments and the glow of magma appeared in a few of the cracks, scattered here and there among the already devastated terrain.

The purpose behind this was simple: In the past the Guardians had learned that although they had little difficulty with such things, to other creatures rough broken ground, high heat, and volcanic gasses would be considered a hellish challenge to fight in. ((Figure it will be about a couple thousand feet across by the time the army of the One show up. Won't stop long-range attack, but might make melee difficulty.))
Shamus
Demon

Clan: Sharen

Postby DeadPigeonGolem » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:28 am

((Seriously, can it be assumed that all my units have EMP shielding?))
((Do the sonic blasts act lethally or do they act like extreme vertigo?))

Reimann Flight and Euler Flight did their best.

It simply wasn't enough. Not with the massive amount of firepower being launched in their direction. Euler 2 survived through sheer luck, parachuting back to the earth. Everyone else was torn apart by bullets. It was terrifying for the Army to hear their comrades last screams before a dull *crump* silenced the radio feed.

It was time for a speech:

"Friends. Comrades. Myrmidians all. Now is not the time to waver. Our enemy is fierce. It possesses the means to destroy us utterly.

We will not allow that to happen.

Our enemy is malleable, it can change with the winds.

We will destroy them before they have the chance.

Our enemy is soulless. Fine. We will simply have to kill them so hard that they manufacture souls to scream in terror.

Now, we move out. We will form a line of battle and attack the brutes who have so viciously destroyed our friends. Dromes, arrange in skirmisher formation ahead of the line. Hoplites, move into combat formation, six ranks deep. I want a line eight battalions long with two in reserve. Gastraphes, position yourselves near the outskirts and prepare to pick off any attempts to flank us. Patakos, hold behind the main line and provide supporting fire as necessary. Tauros stay on the flanks, guard them. Dominix and Moul prowlers should hang back. Koraki, Knotolis, you are each responsible for the units you have based your prowlers off of. Onward, and remember that I will always be with you. UNITS. MARCH!"

----

Meanwhile, a four-man cell of dromes landed near the Old One.

"Honorable gentleman," said the leader of the cell, bowing low in deference. "My General would humbly request an alliance. He sees that you move to attack the metallic beings ahead and wishes to join and aid you."
DeadPigeonGolem
Vel'akar

Postby The Watcher » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:40 am

Machaira eased her riding beast up beside the steaming corpse as her swift shot evidently drove the other creature off.

"What a fascinating and unnatural beast," one of the alchemists beside her muttered, peering down at a blob of rapidly cooling magma. The Warden nodded her agreement. "Indeed. Have its remains scraped up and delivered to the lab tents; let's see what we can't learn from this creature."

A fire glowed in the eyes of all the alchemists present. It was time for some Experiments!

-------------------- Meanwhile, in the Wilderness---------------------
The groups of Tribesmen, one for each faction, get closer to their destinations. They begin examining the area with all their skill to see what they can learn about the these unknown factions before they actually encounter them, employing all their woodscraft and stealth to try and remain undetected.
The Watcher
Summoner

Postby Avashka » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:02 am

The twilight continues spreading, its still depths shrouded by its own expanse.

The members of the Riemann flight remaining above the twilight note the zone spreads upward as well as outward, like the spread of lava swelling forth from below the surface. As they observe the strange chain, floating and drifting through the haze almost as if it was underwater, their sensors-- if not their eyes-- may pick up what seem to be cages tethered to the chain. Cages containing what may be people. Nothing seems to be active in the area-- it's unsettling not only because of its alien nature but because of how quiet it is.

Meanwhile, on the ground, the tribesmen will be able to see that the twilight has a somewhat unclear boundary-- fingers of mist slowly creep outward, but the ground doesn't become consumed by shadow until deeper in, when the mist gets thick and difficult to see through. From their vantage, however, they do see the dark outline of some kind of great structure-- perhaps a tower. And, just perhaps, half-seen figures in the haze, staring out and watching them..

(( No direct actions, Figments have been attracted by the presence of the Tribesmen. ))
Avashka
Nether Spawn

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby Shamus » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:12 am

The Lava Beast in the grasp of the man-like creature squirmed and jerked about in an attempt to free itself...

The Guardians had detected a new source of movement. A small band of creatures tentatively identified as belonging to the faction presently in the mountains could be spotted sulking about among the rocks less than a mile out. The Source and the Old One were discussing what should be done about this when another set of creatures approached.

As they drew closer it was apparent that they were human of sorts, piloting vehicles shaped vaguely like extra large versions of themselves. It was decided to hold off on the one grouping and wait to determine what the intentions of the new group were.

The Dromes continued fearlessly into the heart of the Guardians, no doubt realizing their peril should the Guardians strike, and stopped near the Old One and his Dragon, just barely out of range of the daunting heat rippling off the Dragon.

The Old One then heard something he had not for many many years: Human speech. He took a moment to work the words over in his mind, glancing over at the Source a few hundred feet away. The Source encouraged further communication, so he worked his mouth to respond. At first no sound came out, it had been so very long, but finally he managed to speak in a thin reedy voice: "I dddo... I ddo nnott unndersttanndd yyou."

((Now now, do you honestly think the two "cultures" from entirely different worlds both speak English? :P ))
Shamus
Demon

Postby DeadPigeonGolem » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:10 pm

The three dromes facepalmed. Oh, how naive they were....

"Ne, ne, what do we do now, Skaichtro?"
"Shut up, Keisarion, let him think!" *bop*
"Kerasi....."
"Ah, I think I know what to do. We have those hologram projectors we use to show the hoplites the terrain and location of the enemy, right?"
"Yeah..."
"So, if we can use that to-"
"-how them our intentions, we can-"
"-maybe get their help, 'tevio!"
Some tinkering with Keisarion's holo-projector later and a loud BROOOP and a video popped up.

--

The first scene was a copy of Euler Flight's initial sighting of The One's forces. Then there was an arrow to a large, red, creepy looking man. Then there was a shift to a picture of The Old One, then an arrow associating him with a large, blue, nice looking man. Finally, a picture of General Menethecles appeared, associated with a green man. Then a map of the area appeared, placing the Old One down at the current location of the Fire and Stone while The One advanced towards him. There was suitably dramatic sound effects when The One and the Fire and Stone clashed. Suddenly, the General appeared at the side of the screen and smashed into the flank of The One. The video stopped, and a "Yes or no??" appeared over everything. Since The Old One seemed to know SOME English, hopefully he'd understand the meaning here....
Last edited by DeadPigeonGolem on Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeadPigeonGolem
Vel'akar

Postby Eltharrion » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:09 pm

As the Alliance took over the ground of the forest, mapping and creating small hidden safe-houses every now and then, they came to realize fast how small the forest actually was. They would need to step out of it some day, it seemed. But for now, they fortified it slowly. If the Emperor and his forces of evil came, they'd be ready.

And soon they came. Unit A3-H of Wardens along the edge of the forest, with help of scouts 3-C, spotted the moving tribesmen on the open. Yet again, they seemed to be something out of their world. Alliance soldiers were having second thoughts about things. What if these were not any Emperor's soldiers? They didn't seem like ones. A short, perfectly covered radio signal to the Ruler made the plan clear.

----

Few moments later, a small dagger flew out of the woods, rather close to the location of the tribesmen. Two pieces of paper were attached to it. it was a message: First a lot of written marks and symbols that made no sense to them, then a second paper with quick stick-drawings on. A picture of men in long cloaks and hoods standing in the forest, guns up. then, a picture of group of men in furs on open. Down came two pictures: These two shaking hands and celebrating together over a broken crown, and other one being the fur-covered men, standing under a crown, shot into a bloody mess. A two-side pointing arrow was in between, pointing at two of these.

((Jup, we ARE making contacts here...))
Eltharrion
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby Shamus » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:01 pm

((I Hadn't intended that to be English, or to be understood by the Dromes, but ok.))

The Source was dealing with two things at once. First, the One's communication. Despite the grim nature of the encounter, the response was easy: Order the other Lava Beast to return at maximum speed.

As for the threat/ultimatum, the Source sent no response. It had no response for such things. The Guardians did not negociate with those who threatened them or sought to destroy them, they simply eliminated the threat as conditions allowed.

The Dromes and their show were a different, more complex matter. The Old One did not understand the script that appeared at the end of the video, but offered his best interpetation of the entire thing to the Source: This group apparently believed that the Guardians were soon to clash with the other group and were announcing their intentions to strike as well.

The Source considered the matter. These creatures did not act as a typical group of humans worshipping the Guardians as gods, as sometimes happened in the old world, but neither did they act as an attacking threat either. Their goal of attacking the other faction was an unexpected benefit, as there was question as to whether or not the Guardians had the ability to properly defend themselves...

While the Source mulled this over, the Old One waited expectantly, waiting to see if more information was forthcoming.

A part of his mind found the holo-video fascinating. He could analyze the effect produced, the way the light was blended together and projected, but he could not fathom the magic behind it. Probing the vehicles with a thread of magic as steathily as he could manage revealed no significant traces of magic, merely everyday chemical reactions, electricity, and other such mundane happenings. Fascinating....
Shamus
Demon

PreviousNext

Return to Game Tavern