Freshly remodeled, the Game Tavern serves as your place to go to participate in roleplay or gaming threads with other members of the forum.

Plains of Blood III

Re: Plains of Blood III

Postby grfu » Thu May 19, 2011 1:52 am

No one wants to give -me- input? T_T
grfu
Vel'akar

Clan: Illhar'dro

Postby DeadPigeonGolem » Thu May 19, 2011 2:05 am

grfu wrote:No one wants to give -me- input? T_T

Burned out, sorry. Give me a sec....

---

Okay, so: Everything appears to be sufficiently in order, in terms of troops and elites, for a mass of small, chaotic faeries, with two issues:

1. I know the iron thing is canon, but please make it clear if the fae are capable of withstanding lethal injuries. It is my experience that most things cannot survive having an arm lopped off.

2. Illusions and falsehoods are all well and good, but NOT when it comes to damage to the army. It's utterly unfair for you to have the capacity to lose half your army, then get back 25% of your original troops.

---

Katinka:

"The Book of Answers: Katinka carries with her a book that contains a compendium of all knowledge and lore. Once per page, she may completely negate the special rule of a foe of equal points or less than her. She must spend an action maintaining this each post."
Ehhhhhhhhhh~~ I dunno. This seems like a bit of a cheap shot. On the other hand, she has not attack, so this should even out.

-------

Sidhe:

Invulnerable to mundane? No. Take 50% of standard damage for mundane attacks? Yes.

-----

Enchanting Voice (for The Duke): We would like to preserve our dignity, and would prefer if you only made the voice "oddly compelling for all units (friendly and enemy) in range", such that they feel the need to temporarily cease hostilities and listen to what he has to say.

----

Summary: Well balanced, except for the bit about regaining fifty percent of battle dead, as well as the "mostly invulnerable to mundane attacks" (unless I misread that bit).
DeadPigeonGolem
Vel'akar

Clan: Sarghress

Postby grfu » Thu May 19, 2011 2:45 am

Well, the direction I'm going with is that they are powerful, but they have a serious weakness which is very common. You can't actually KILL a Fae unless you use iron . So, to keep in the spirit of things, iron hurts ALOT, while other mundane attacks don't do much. Magic, however, makes an impact as well. If an entire force has magic attacks like golems of magma, not much I can do about it, and nothing comes back. Not trying to make excuses, just defending my position. My definition of mundane attacks is a mook with a bronze spear.
grfu
Vel'akar

Postby Hetros » Thu May 19, 2011 2:55 am

Alrighty, working on changes. Didn't realize bases were a no no >>

This means some HUGE changes to the force, I'll be going through with them shortly :P
Hetros
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby DeadPigeonGolem » Thu May 19, 2011 3:03 am

grfu wrote:Well, the direction I'm going with is that they are powerful, but they have a serious weakness which is very common. You can't actually KILL a Fae unless you use iron. So, to keep in the spirit of things, iron hurts ALOT, while other mundane attacks don't do much. Magic, however, makes an impact as well. If an entire force has magic attacks like golems of magma, not much I can do about it, and nothing comes back. Not trying to make excuses, just defending my position. My definition of mundane attacks is a mook with a bronze spear.

The problem I see is that most of the universe will probably utilize mooks with spears, plasma weaponry, elemental manipulation (Fire-bending and the ilk), bullets, etc. In my experience, most things don't take, say, a 5.56 round to the chest very well. I would argue that it makes very little sense for a fae to get an arm lopped off and not react, especially if that fae pops back up later, finds its arm, and pops it back into its socket. You see what I'm saying?

ALSO: Illusionary Fortress = No. We would return to the "send waves up in a gigantic siege" mentality, then you'd go: "na-na it was fake!" then we'd go: "FUUUUU~~~" and you would annihilate the weakened army.
----

Hetros, you don't have a base, do you?
DeadPigeonGolem
Vel'akar

Postby grfu » Thu May 19, 2011 3:23 am

When did I say anything about an illusionary fortress? I think you're making your own illusions.

edit: clarified things a bit, made some changes that I feel are reasonable, namely, making magic effective, getting no reinforcements, making The Duke's singing less embarrassing for the target
Last edited by grfu on Thu May 19, 2011 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
grfu
Vel'akar

Postby DeadPigeonGolem » Thu May 19, 2011 3:40 am

grfu wrote:When did I say anything about an illusionary fortress? I think you're making your own illusions.

Didn't you say earlier- I mean- what- :A *dies*.
DeadPigeonGolem
Vel'akar

Postby grfu » Thu May 19, 2011 3:50 am

clarified things a bit, made some changes that I feel are reasonable, namely, making magic effective, getting no reinforcements, making The Duke's singing less embarrassing for the target
grfu
Vel'akar

Postby Shamus » Thu May 19, 2011 4:20 am

Reporting in to let ya'll know I have finished my finals, flew home, and regained my internet access. It's late and I'm still jet-laggy, so no posting tonight, but I'm here.
Shamus
Demon

Clan: Sharen

Postby DeadPigeonGolem » Thu May 19, 2011 6:42 pm

grfu wrote:clarified things a bit, made some changes that I feel are reasonable, namely, making magic effective, getting no reinforcements, making The Duke's singing less embarrassing for the target

Alright, I can see how mundane attacks are less effective then magical, but I really think you should alter it such that we have a clearer picture of the level of damage a mundane attack can do. For example, for the Sixth Field Army (my army), I made it so that the following was true:

Magic: 100% baseline damage
Mundane:
-Concussive (explosives, etc.): 100% baseline damage
-Piercing (arrows, stabbing, etc.): 25% baseline damage, except to cockpit, where damage is 125% baseline damage
-Slashing (cut, chop, etc.): 25% baseline damage

Now, that wasn't listed explicitly, but I did provide sufficient descriptive sentences to show that this was probably what would happen in battle. I do not see that in your army, or at least I don't see it very clearly.

Sidhes: It still says "invulnerable to mundane attacks". Please change it to "takes 10% baseline damage of mundane attacks" or SOMETHING that gives non-magic using armies SOMETHING resembling a chance.
DeadPigeonGolem
Vel'akar

Postby grfu » Thu May 19, 2011 7:32 pm

Non magic armies can just use iron. It's simple enough to get. There's a reason only one unit has this, and they are very expensive. There will likely only be 10 Sidhe . . . total . . . EVER. So, it would take about 1000 points of guys with Iron weapons to completely slaughter them all. They're not something to be thrown around willy nilly. That's what trolls are for. I think you're way too hung up on what can't hurt them but not paying attention to what can hurt them, which is something very common. Also, the fact that nothing can be replaced should balance things out. If that's all I get for the duration, then I have to be very careful with how I use them.
grfu
Vel'akar

Postby DeadPigeonGolem » Thu May 19, 2011 8:38 pm

grfu wrote:Non magic armies can just use iron. It's simple enough to get. There's a reason only one unit has this, and they are very expensive. There will likely only be 10 Sidhe . . . total . . . EVER. So, it would take about 1000 points of guys with Iron weapons to completely slaughter them all. They're not something to be thrown around willy nilly. That's what trolls are for. I think you're way too hung up on what can't hurt them but not paying attention to what can hurt them, which is something very common. Also, the fact that nothing can be replaced should balance things out. If that's all I get for the duration, then I have to be very careful with how I use them.

I'm pretty sure that iron must be pure in order to have an effect on fae. Steel or other iron alloys (with copper, magnesium, etc.) do not do anything because they aren't pure iron. We cannot find iron on the ground, resource mining was removed from play.

Even if alloys are permissible, as Ultras, I'd expect Sidhe to counter iron weapons with aplomb via dodges, ripostes, parries, etc. Furthermore, not all armies use iron weapons, and making Iron weapons the only thing that can damage a Sidhe is akin to saying that only armies that use iron weapons can kill them and eliminating the threat.

Furthermore, it took but Winston Churchill and King George VI to bring Britain through WWII strong. It took but one Hitler to slaughter six million Jews. It took but 13 men at Brecourt Manor to make Utah Beach a relatively safe and easier landing. It took 24 men 38 minutes to kill Osama bin-Laden with zero friendly injuries or deaths AND recover enough intelligence to send the intelligence analysts in the CIA into spontaneous orgasms. It took one guy and a lucky shot to start WWI. It took one guy and a shit-ton of math to conceptualize the nuke. It took 10 guys and one well placed stab to the gut to spark three civil wars and the rise to power of Octavian, the first Roman Emperor. It took 19 guys and a shit-ton of insanity to destroy the World Trade Center and kill 3,000 people.

You have ten soldiers that are not only one of the top warriors of their species, they cannot be killed by a well placed stab to the chest except with pure iron.

Do you see the problem? It's true that this is more about tactics, politics, strategy, and the like, but 10 guys who can't be killed without using magic (which, incidentally, implies that we can't burn them with acid or blow them up with a bomb) will simply tear through any plan and slaughter their enemy like so many wolves tearing apart an elk.
DeadPigeonGolem
Vel'akar

Postby The Watcher » Thu May 19, 2011 8:45 pm

Finals are done, so of course now my chinese program launches a huge all devouring intensive summer class and a month long trip to China at me.

FUUUUUUU..............

Will try to post as much as I can though. They might want me to eat, sleep, live and breathe chinese 24/7 for two months, but they'll just have to think twice.
The Watcher
Summoner

Postby Kithrune » Thu May 19, 2011 8:48 pm

instead of iron, try saying metal in general or give them a weakness to melee.

the issue with iron is that most weapons in the game, while metallic, aren't made of the chemical {Fe} and therefore would be useless against them.

Just say they are resistant to ranged attacks or something like that.
Kithrune
Tainted

Postby grfu » Thu May 19, 2011 9:23 pm

I'll make some alterations. I just wanted to emphasize the difficulty of defeating them, and how vulnerable they are to your average mook with a steel spear (yes, alloys hurt too).
grfu
Vel'akar

PreviousNext

Return to Game Tavern