Freshly remodeled, the Game Tavern serves as your place to go to participate in roleplay or gaming threads with other members of the forum.

Halo: Battle for the Relic- OOC

Re: Halo: Battle for the Relic- OOC

Postby Eltharrion » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:47 pm

Name: Recuria Voltarde (Goes usually by name "Rec")
Rank: ODST Special Unit, Unit 15334-G leader (he is the only member)
Race: Human

Equipment:
Assault rifle (rigged, magazine size extended and smart-system link added),
"scythe slicer" (two energy swords attached together with a short wire, linked to a rocket propeller unit and a magnetic field. Meant to be short-range spinning-throwing weapon. Range only about 15 meters, 6-8 if wants accurate, though),
Krak grenades x 3 (High-pack grenades that blow out consentrated explosion, are meant to be used on vehicles/really heavy units),
servo-arms (small pair of mechanical "extra" hands, located on back. Can extend to come under the real arms, like a new pair. Can hold more stuff, but can't fire weapons or anything. Uses for building & hacking, mostly),
Grapple hook (range over 70 meters, cable and unit can hold about 1,5 tons of weight),
Rollbots x 4 (reconance units, about size of a golf ball, no armor or weapons. are able to walk, climb on walls or even on ceiling. Standard ODST vision system attached)
ODST combat armor (added with higher-scope zoom ability, target tracker system and extended field of vision. Also, backs up for the bot's view showing on the HUD. Reduced encumbrance, joint armor durability increased),
mongoose, with added rocket propeller unit for extra speed (...This thing is gonna crash), frontal slot for a weapon (can be shot while driving, line straight ahead, doesn't hold rocket launcher or anything),
Neuro-link system implant (gives him a frigging fast thinking rate, memory capacity and possibility to use smart-gun systems and control his devices with mental commands),
Whole lot of other junk/random stuff not mentioned here but that is in his cabin/current living room, ot is carrying with him.

Combat skills:
-Standard ODST skills, non-outstanding in the field of shooting or other combat values.
-Quite good with sneaking and stealth.
-Extremely high skill in hacking and electronical warfare.

Other skills:
-Can build a lot of stuff or improve existing ones. Kind of a mad scientist for that. Loves to build stuff.
-Good singer (battle songs, mostly)
-Can work for days without sleep

Appearance:
Rec looks mostly like standard ODST soldier, though he has servo-arm units on his back, a lot of random equipment on him and his helmet is specially formed to look a bit like Hunter's head.

Personality:
Open, fast-thinking, laughs easily. Rec is type of guy that first jumps of from some corner, grabs your gun, starts to look at it, and then spout out fifteen different ways to improve it before you can really say anything for it. Relaxed on field, doesn't usually go openly to battle being grim but laughing and exited to get new stuff. Not your standard ODST soldier.

---

Okay, so I went with my tech idea. And this is what popped out. Sorry if it is irrational, haven't really slept. The main idea was that he can just "pull out" stuff that seems almost logical to him. At times. Well, he goes and fixes everyone's guns with double-barrels, Automatic reloaders and mini-missile launchers, that's the point. =9

EDIT: swiched grenades
Last edited by Eltharrion on Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eltharrion
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby Eltharrion » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:59 pm

Hmm, I was thinking bit more like deep dark crimson red-dark blue, but that is also really nice one =9
Eltharrion
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Shamus » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:20 am

Hmmm... Rec seems a little outrageous in some respects, (The scientists on Earth have trouble with Covenant tech working on it in a lab but he can make needler grenades? And how'd he come by the ammo for the sword launcher? ;) ) but we're just here to have fun so what the heck.

I'll see if I can at least finish the first part of the plot tonight.

Also, Reeds? You there?

Edit: Elites being bigger and taller than Spartans, that picture is certainly not to scale. No offense Duke.
Shamus
Demon

Clan: Sharen

Postby Eltharrion » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:59 am

Shamus wrote:Hmmm... Rec seems a little outrageous in some respects, (The scientists on Earth have trouble with Covenant tech working on it in a lab but he can make needler grenades? And how'd he come by the ammo for the sword launcher? ;) ) but we're just here to have fun so what the heck.

1. Yeah, needle grenades were bit off. Maybe I should just throw them out and replace with some other self-made ones... I blame my tiredness.

2. Sword laucher is a single throwing weapon (he doesn't have 20 energy swords, but only 2 attached together. So when he throws it, he has to pick it up to re-use it).

So yeah, as I said, it is rather confusing character. =9
Eltharrion
Dragon of the Nether

Postby DeadPigeonGolem » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:07 am

Well, there was that one model from WWI where they chucked HE in the bottom of a can, packed nails on top, then stuffed it with wadding. Light the fuse, throw into enemy trench, hope for gore! There's also the one where they strapped 1/4 inch wire to the sides of a block of HE and used it as an impro-nade.

How's he use said sword launcher? Two energy swords tied together is basically a six foot long lightsaber. Darth Maul uses twirls that thing like a ballerina, we never see him throw it.
DeadPigeonGolem
Vel'akar

Clan: Sarghress

Postby DeadPigeonGolem » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:44 am

They also happen to be extremely illegal.

On a separate note, should I post sheets for The Major's three Elites?
DeadPigeonGolem
Vel'akar

Postby DeadPigeonGolem » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:14 am

I should probs make those sheets...
DeadPigeonGolem
Vel'akar

Postby Shamus » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:09 am

Unless there is something unusual about these Elites or Marines I wouldn't worry about it. There are going to be plenty more of them running around, so you may wind up commanding a small army depending on how things go.

And yeah, the size of the Elites vary a lot. That cut scene doesn't make Thel look half as big as he does when he first shows up at the beginning of the game. In Reach they're huge, easily towering over Spartans.

Looking at that I'm just going to ignore any varience in any one Elite and say they vary in size much like humans. (I'm six foot, I know guys who are six foot five, guys who are five foot six, etc.) Therefore there is no problem with 7'4" and 8'6". Most Elites are just in that size range somewhere. Another thought is that 7'4" is in a relaxed slouching position and 8'6" is standing tall.

Lastly, I'm guessing that Rec's sword launcher fires the swords unactivated and he has something that lights them up after firing. Maybe some wires attached to the switches?

Lastly lastly: I've got the plot worked out for the first bit. Mostly it's in the details, I'm kind of OCD about names and things. Every ship on the allies side has a name and the lead baddie and his ship are named too. I looked up the naming of Sangheili and Jiralhanae so the character names make sense. (Random trivia: Coufu's name flies in the face of all Unggoy naming, but he's already "canon" so I'm going to leave him as is.) I'm going to wait one more day and see if Reeds or anyone else chooses to join us.
Shamus
Demon

Postby DeadPigeonGolem » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:03 pm

That brings up an interesting idea:

Maybe the Sangheili have an analogue to the African Slave Trade? Or maybe they have an analogous ethnicity to African Americans in the 1960s? Which is to say, there's an ethnicity that is perpetually discriminated against and treated as "second class"?

That would explain The Major's inability to get promoted.
DeadPigeonGolem
Vel'akar

Postby Eltharrion » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:04 pm

DeadPigeonGolem wrote:How's he use said sword launcher? Two energy swords tied together is basically a six foot long lightsaber. Darth Maul uses twirls that thing like a ballerina, we never see him throw it.

Shamus wrote:Lastly, I'm guessing that Rec's sword launcher fires the swords unactivated and he has something that lights them up after firing. Maybe some wires attached to the switches?

...OOKEY... I really need to do some explanation.

First, the swords are attached to each other with short beam (thus making this thing about 3 inches longer). Main idea is to use your wrist a bit, but mostly it comes from
Eltharrion wrote:"scythe slicer" (two energy swords attached together with a short beam, linked to a rocket propeller unit and a magnetic field. Meant to be short-range spinning-throwing weapon. Range only about 15 meters, 6-8 if wants accurate, though)

So, there's a jet system on both "hilts" of the blades, facing opposite directions, and thus causing the dual blade to spin wildly when activated (bit same idea as in sprinkler, the outbursting water causes the thing to spin). The gravity system is used to keep the whole thing balanced and not tipping into a barrel roll (so it acts as the "stick" holding the weapon in one line, making a straight-line throw a possibility).

This weapon is a THROWING WEAPON, not a blade launcher. Idea is that after throwing, the jets activate and cause the weapon to spin at extreme speeds, while at the same time the blades active, linked to the jets. As such, when thrown, this thing is only about 8 inches long stick with some heavier points at the tops, making it possible to be thrown effectively. The range is mostly decided by the power of the throw, though gravity systems, in-build armor enhancers and balancers increase this quite a bit.

Jets can be launched remotely, and thus this thing CAN made to spin as a trap. However, it has no movement abilities of it's own, so it would just spin on the ground wildly... That, and jets are really short-lived (really, they don't last more than 4 seconds).

Rec is also able to cause the blade to take angles, "home" into the target and go around light corners. He can control the flight path of the weapon at very limited degree by altering the gravity field around it. This, however, is really small movements (in total, we are talking about a meter's switch in the flight path at max range).

...Yes, you could think of it as over-sized shuriken, if you really need to.

In theory, Scythe slicer could be used as a melee weapon, though weapon's weird shape and deadliness of both of it's ends on mere touch would make it quite hard to use. At least, to use without killing yourself on the first swing. As we know, energy swords in halo have much wider blades than lightsabers in star wars. And we are no jedis here.

...Did I made it clear it is a throwing weapon? Good. =9
Eltharrion
Dragon of the Nether

Postby DeadPigeonGolem » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:50 pm

So it's like a Fuma-Shuriken, only it's two blades insteada four and they can cut through anything?

1 meter is basically equal to 1 yard so the weapon can basically deviate by three feet in either left or right at max range (45 feet).

So then the question is, how does one throw this thing with accuracy? Shuriken are spin stabilized, but this is given by the thrower at moment of launch. As I read this, Rec is throwing it as like a throwing knife (stabilized with weight). So he throws it, it begins to spin? Then why does he need the gravity thingy, wouldn't the throw be the key? Initial velocity in projectile motion doesn't change the fall rate, only the rate at which the object goes forward. Furthermore, 45 feet is quite a bit to throw. The jets would need to be set at angles so that they spin AND increasing forward velocity to get 45 feet. If they are set perpendicular to the blades, it's highly likely that it'd end up moving really slowly, since the jets would exert a force opposition direction of motion. This is also inherently unstable. The Brits tried this with a spinning wheel of explosive death and it failed, the jets kept causing the thing to fly wildly around the battlefield. Then the question is how does he make said jet-propelled unstable wheel of plasma turn sharp corners? Gravity thingys don't solve everything.

In the end, I guess I'm basically questioning the feasibility of such a weapon. It seems that it'd be to ounstable and overly complex to work.
DeadPigeonGolem
Vel'akar

Postby Eltharrion » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:01 pm

Duke Nukem wrote:It wouldn't be too bad if you could activate each side independantly- it would be like a wide, 2-bladed human sword. I think it would serve you much better as a melee weapon, rather than trying to throw it. Or make the pole longer and have a compressed air tank/gravity device/ whatever hooked up so you can use it both as a energy polearm, and push a button to send one of the blades shooting out. Even throwing it like a spear would be easier than trying to spin it.

Hmm, once again I go for the point of "I was extremely sleepy when I wrote this", and thus, I am extremely happy that you people point out these kinds of fact.

Now, after seeing what you people point out, this whole thing IS unbalanced. Maybe if it was just normal blade...
...Hmm, have to think of something else now, maybe I WILL go for Duke's ideas. Or just simply create something new.

Always wanted a jetpack anyways... =9
Eltharrion
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Shamus » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:31 pm

I wouldn't want the detachable CO2 thing, but I'd love a energy sword polearm. (This is just me babbling, I'm not trying to influence the inventions.) Fortune favors the bold... and the guy who can reach the other guy first.

Edit: Other such energy weapons exist, such as the energy dagger (which has more of a spear-head shape): http://www.halopedian.com/File:Reach_970264_Medium.jpg
Shamus
Demon

Postby Shamus » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:41 pm

Yes, but we don't know what it does exactly. Apparently one of the novels, The Cole Protocol mentions that plasma is produced at the tip. There is a cutscene in Halo Wars where some Elite Minors fight with similar weapons but use them like standard polearms. Double edit: The Halo Wars cutscene is the only example we have of their use, and it is of a similar weapon that really doesn't do anything special.

Edit: I have spent way too much time on Halopedia...
Last edited by Shamus on Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shamus
Demon

Postby Eltharrion » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:45 pm

Duke Nukem wrote:Don't the Honor guards use some kind of energy pole?

Honor guard pike. 427,5 cm (over 12 feet) long pike weapon with an energy blade at top.

For my record, if I'm gonna have a melee weapon, it's gonna have two ends (maybe the polearm with blade at other end and a dagger at other...) or be able to break into multi-section chain-like weapon.

...Just a random question: if I would take this melee weapon, would it be possible to ad some sort of dash-burst system (small jetpack, maybe some sort of hovering system to stay barely above the ground) to be able to move around with really high mobility?
...I'm just changing my character a bit if that IS possible =9
Eltharrion
Dragon of the Nether

PreviousNext

Return to Game Tavern