Freshly remodeled, the Game Tavern serves as your place to go to participate in roleplay or gaming threads with other members of the forum.

Dark Heresy: A Soul's Worth (IC - OPEN)

Dark Heresy: A Soul's Worth (IC - OPEN)

Postby Kitab Al'Ibar » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:55 pm

The acolytes would know little of what was coming, beyond that they had all been summoned to this room: some of them had been brought along by their superiors, who were themselves in attendance, others had been cordially invited to the meeting, as suited a Noblewoman or Sororitas. This was not the case for all, as the last individual to join their group was brought in by force, held tightly by a nervous junior arbite who tried not to show how surprised – and perhaps daunted – he was to be in front of the group he found himself staring at.

The office itself could be considered quite daunting, at least to those who weren’t used to such opulence, or those who might be surprised to find such a well-furnished and sizeable room located on the upper floors of the grim and forbidding Arbiter’s precinct. They might reason it to be a Judge’s office, with walls decked in bookshelves, each overflowing with tomes of discussions on interpretation of the law and the guidebooks of precedent upon which official judgements could be rendered. Or perhaps they would think it a private retreat for the Lord Marshal, whose long and decorated service might have warranted such a safe haven. Regardless, it had been repurposed for the moment, and the light coming from the vaulted window at the far end scarcely reached into the room, trapped instead behind the throne-like seat and the imposing desk that it sat behind.

The seat sat empty, and the daunting effect was dispersed by the stacks of boxes containing data-slates and swathes of paper lay strewn throughout the room, busy scribes were seen carrying boxes from the room into assorted side rooms for reasons which would soon become apparent, and as the recalcitrant girl was finally dragged in and the heavy main doors locked firmly behind them, these scribes knew when to make themselves scarce, disappearing into the side rooms soundlessly with their burdens.

A few metres from this mess, almost in the centre of the elongated room, sat a hastily arranged informal seating area around an oval table where they had been assembled. With backs to the window were four figures, with another man speaking to the unnamed arbite, two of these figures would be unfamiliar: the first was an aged man with hair as white as fresh snow, dressed in the black and gold finery and styles of another decade, but clearly still strong, standing with one hand on the back of an empty seat and a glass of vermillion coloured amasec in the other, his eyes scanning the acolytes as he smiled wryly. The other, the man standing with the arbite was younger, perhaps in his early third decade and nobly dressed, an empty chair to the left of the aged figure marked his seat.

The other figures should be known to them; on the far right was Commissar Lauchlin Vaugn, liaison to the Imperial Guard and a well known figure in any area of the city frequented by rowdy troops on break, outfitted in the style befitting his station. On the far left, perched on a coffee table was his counterpart in this meeting representing the Planetary Defence Force, their respected leader: General Melina Trantcher, of the Trantcher noble house, well known for producing fine military leaders. Finally between her and the aged figure was the Lord Marshal himself, Elias Maximillion “Million” Sturnhause: and arbiter through and through and likely the oldest man in the room, his body bearing the multitudinous scars of long service, with his stony features marred on the right side by a bronzed metal skull cap, complete with cybernetic eye and countless other bionic replacements for limbs, organs and bone, all lost or shattered during more than a century of duty and hidden beneath his proud uniform.

The room was falling silent now as the last scribes moved to leave. The younger man and the arbite were holding a muted conversation, both of them ignoring the bound girls angry mewling and protestations, over which some words still carried far enough to be heard. There was a hint of a sneer in the young man’s voice as he asked whether the arbite’s charge was ‘undamaged’ as ‘damage could render her useless to us’. The arbites stiff response said she was unharmed, unlike several people involved in the fighting when she was cornered, including an unfortunate arbite who had been thrown through a window. The man nodded his understanding, aware that the time for chatter was wearing thin, and stalked back to his seat.

Before he could be seated, there was a loud crash from the arbite as he hit the floor, the girl had effortlessly broken free from her bonds with a set of deft movements that has sent the outmanoeuvred arbite sprawling and put an amused look on the young mans features as he settled into his chair with a teacup, confidant that at least two weapons were already trained on her, a laspistol in the hands of Melina, and Lauchlin’s formidable commissariat bolt pistol.

There was a slight clinking as the aged man placed his wineglass on the seats arm rest and gave a slow resounding clap, causing Lauchlin and Melina to relax their aim slowly as the dismayed arbite climbed to his feet: “Well done Aluna.” He gave an almost paternal nod: “Now please, be seated, and hear me out. You’re capture was unnecessary, but fortuitously timed, we have use for your obvious skills and your knowledge.” The use of her name should pique her curiosity; it always was the curse of the cat. A quick glance assured him the arbite was unharmed, and he was dismissed with an idle nod: “That will be all thank you, please go wait with the scribes. They will tend to your needs.” The chastened arbite hurried from the room out of the side door, letting it close behind him with a bang.

The man walked around the chair and took a seat himself, idly cradling the wineglass he had retrieved from the chair: “Now that I have your attention, let me begin; you are probably wondering why you are here, why you have been chosen, wondering what links you all, but the answer is quite simple.” He retrieved a data slate from his breast pocket and sent it skittering across the table: “Your names all appear on that list... even yours.” He gestured at Aluna, anyone who looked at the list would see there were numerous other names on the list, at least a dozen of which had been crossed out: “You were all selected as individuals with the talents necessary to support the Inquisition in an investigation.” He paused, watching their responses: “My name is Tobias Konstantin, this is Valance Crozarkum, the rest I am sure you recognise.” The wineglass sloshed idly in the younger mans direction: “We did not choose you, you were chosen by our predecessor. She has gone missing.”

The officers around the table remained silent; they had all been briefed on the particulars earlier: “Before she disappeared, she turned to us for help, she had found something and opposition that can force an inquisitor to seek help is not to be taken likely.” He paused and took a contemplative sip, continuing in the same relaxed tone: “We arrived too late. The only leads we have to go on are these you see scattered around you.” His gesture encompassed the piles of data slates and notes: “They are all deeply ciphered and those scribes you saw are working to unravel her code. However, their efforts have given us leads, and that is where you enter the equation. You will mirror her investigation as we unravel it.”

He nodded to Valance, who continued: “We do not yet know what we face, or how much it knows, many others on that list could not be found, they may have served our predecessor or they may have been eliminated, at this moment, we cannot tell, but before we continue any further, you have a choice: you may agree to help us in this matter, or you will be locked in one of the several cells here for your safety.” He smiled mirthlessly, it was a lot to take in and while off balance, they were likely to accept quite readily: “Choose wisely.”
Last edited by Kitab Al'Ibar on Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kitab Al'Ibar
Vel'akar

Re: Dark Heresy: A Soul's Worth (IC)

Postby Sword Goddess » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:22 pm

"Luna" Roddenburg, child of an auspicious nobleman and overly romantic factory worker; every so often Luna wondered when that noble ancestry would eventually come back at her with jaws wide open. Even discarded mutant offspring still bared the blood of their parents. "I'm so glad you approve," she would state with a sarcastic lull in her voice; Aluna was no particular patriot, after all the Imperium discarded them at birth - now they expected some form of loyalty, and for what? The oh so great mercy of not trying to exterminate them?

"That is terribly unfortunate for her, what will the universe do with one less Inquisitor I wonder," her lashes lowered haughtily, "I'm tempted to say put me in a cage - after all, it wouldn't be the first time. Sounds like I'm going to be a pet either way."

She sighed, slipping into an open seat across from the man, "But you know that I'm curious by nature, and what involves the upper quarter can quite easily involve us, you've got my support for the time being. But don't think I'll hesitate to kick one of these stiffs," and the thrust a thumb towards an armored woman, probably one of the nobles in the room, "off a cliff if they try to tell me what to do, I'm not some soldier."

Then her haughty gaze landed squarely on Valance, "What are you so smug about? Guys like you I kick through windows for trying to touch me during a dance; you want to put me in a cage try doing it yourself, you little weasel." She suddenly stood, arm sweeping out to address the other members of council, "Eh, I can at least respect the grizzly arbitrator, and the general in the corner - at least I'm well aware of what their exploits are. I know it quite well see. Mutants live well and fine underground, but the Arbites keep out the unwanted human rift-raft, and the Defense Force, well we'd be just as dead as everyone else if something took over our nice pretty planet. So I'll bit my cheek with those two, our kind Inquisitor here has a sort of charm about him I can get behind, he knows how to handle a conversation."

She was in one position, then right beside the man in the blink of an eye - she'd just covered ten meters in the time it took a person to step a foot. "But you sugar, you so much as look at me the wrong way, and I'll make sure you beg for a bite of me before I kick your ass through a window...Ca'peke?" She winked, turning and bowing to the inquisitor with so much formality and noble grace one would have thought she'd been born and raised within a great house. "My services are yours, but as I said My Lord, there are very few people in this room I will take orders from."
Sword Goddess
Demon

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby Writer » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:33 pm

Kretas Havel, drill sergeant of the Lasouran 237th, is a slight half-balding man, impressive in the way muscles bulge through the precise cut of his uniform. When Commissar Vaugn had invited him to this gathering he had had no idea what esteemed company had been waiting for him, nor what they wanted from him. Now he knows. An inquisitor had disappared, and his name, along with those others', had been on a list found. For some, that might have been grounds of arrest. Instead, it seemed, they had the choice of getting recruited.

Kretas takes a deep breath, steps forward and salutes. His hands feel clammy, but his face is kept neutral... this was a place of powerful men and women. The wrong move could be fatal in so many ways, for his career or his life, and even for his estranged family. What was the proverb, now again? 'Do not ask why you serve. Only ask how.' Chaplain-speak, but Kretas knew the wisdom of them.

"Understood. I will accept whatever orders you have for me, sirs," he barks with military-grade charm, his body language taut and precise. His eyes wander to the disrespectful woman, the mutant, he realizes, as he awaits answer. Young, too. Such arrogance would be the end of her, if she did not learn to curb it in front of her betters.

Would it be ok if we put small OOC queries and such in italics at the end of the post like so?
Writer
Vel'akar

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby Kitab Al'Ibar » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:47 pm

Anger flashed in the sapphire blue eyes of Valance as the girl began her tirade and only deepened as she surged forward, clearly trying to intimidate him, but a servant of the Imperium is not so easily cowed and it took little more than simple willpower to stymie the body’s natural reactions, only the slightest twitch of his hands and the ripples it sent through his drink betrayed his surprise and it was quickly replaced by anger flaring in his eyes and his voice which became as sharp as steel: “I have no desire to look at you, much less touch you. I only need you to do your duty.” He bit back on further comment; it was a mutant, normally it would be dead at his feet, to respond to it's anger only sullied his clarity.

Tobias shook his head at his comrade’s anger as he watched the girl execute a perfect bow, which he returned with a half bow from his seated position; she was a bizarre creature, her skills were obvious and given the notes they had managed to uncover, she seemed to be well placed to assist the investigation, but she was unpredictable, he had to believe there was good reason she had been chosen: “Good, we do not need more soldiers, we need acolytes, individuals who will be curious, who will seek answers and who will solve puzzles. I do expect you to work together, if you do not, you will sadly fail.” His tone was calm, reasonable, and almost paternal, like a favoured teacher or parent, but something in his eyes betrayed a deep amusement with the situation. Movement across from his attracted his gaze and he saw another member of their group step forward, the disciplined and stoic career soldier: “Ah, yes. Kretas, your record is admirable. Your dedication and loyalty will surely help guide you to making the correct choices. Go easy on them sergeant, they aren’t all soldiers.”

Lauchlin watched the play of events with interest, he could appreciate the subtle manipulations being pulled on the group, a mix of fright and simple encouragement, the affectation of personal interest, the use of their names and the burden of trust. He might have taken a different tack to encourage them, but as the man had said, some of these people were not soldiers, and civilians weren’t his standard fare, perhaps he could learn something by watching them, so as not to waste an afternoon in idle chatter. ‘The grizzly arbitrator and the general in the corner’ were also paying great attention, both out of pride for thier own representatives and a curiosity at the secret operations of the inquisition. The former was amused by the girls candour, with small wrinkles of mirth appearing at the sides of his lips, he could scarcely recall the last time someone had called him ‘grizzly’, the latter was distinctly nonplussed, in her view the mutant was as likely to cause problems for the planet as any external threat, and she wasn’t about to let her guard down so they could do it.

((OOC: Simple questions can be asked in this thread through the use of double brackets or italics at the end of a post, I would ask that longer queries are taken to the OOC Thread where they can be answered more fully))
Kitab Al'Ibar
Vel'akar

Postby blackshade10 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:54 am

Reid "The Immortal" Nakada sat patiently with a rather calm expression on his face, a small smile spread across his lips. He was a handsome looking fellow, his normally up hood laying down, his scar on his forehead very present as his hair fell away- the gunshot scar. His dark blue eyes scanned all present, curious if they were team players He listened intently to everything the Inquisitor had to say, his mind memorizing all the information, investigative nature already analyzing it. He watched the mutant get dragged in, talked to and proceed to flaunt about. He grinned.

"Aluna. Been awhile. How's business?" He asked rather casually. Reid, always taking things oh-so-casually. He hummed quietly as he unloaded and then reloaded his double-barrel shotgun, examining it.

The Inquisitor went missing, huh? That was rather interesting.

"What do we have so far, my lord?" He asked the Inquisitor casually, as if talking to any old guy, though still quite polite.
blackshade10
Dark Chibi Demon

Location: Ashie Cleavage, plotting war against those of the Zala cleavage.
Clan: Sullisin'rune

Postby Inquisitor » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:04 am

Jestella became very much aware someone was pointing at her; nay, something; that something happened to be Aluna, as people were referring to the abomination. Were they intended to keep company with this creature? It could be worse, the feline-esque creature might have smelled like an Ogryn. Now Jestella wasn't biased to mutants, at least that meant she wouldn't simply kill one on sight. Indeed she even respected those which were adapted for military service such as heavy world mutants, feral world adaptations and other backgrounds that found salvation in militant professions. She didn't like them, but they were useful soldiers.

She only numbly looked back at the abomination, far more interested in Kretas who portrayed himself as the model soldier. Thankfully two of three individuals she'd be capable of serving with it seemed, the Drill Sergeant especially was granted a cursory appraisal as she examined him completely.

The entire time Jestella never left Melina's side, when Aluna began parading and making a general debacle of this serious discussion she let one hand drift back to her sword's hilt. But nothing short of impassive calm remained on her smoothly tanned face, as if not at all disturbed by what she just saw. After all, the General was her superior and fellow noble, in no uncertain terms her life came as priority second only to the Inquisitor. Assuming this was the Inquisitor anyway.

Dressed in full armor, which seemed somewhat more ornate than a typical soldier, also sporting a flowing black cape drifting seamlessly from both shoulder pauldrons; also, her hair had been cut for the occasion to look perfectly professional, tied up in an elegant crown-braid at the back of her head with black bow shaped ribbon. Glasses too, if you could believe it, and simply for the fashion of course. She spoke in a calm, gentle tone that carried more weight than one might suspect. "As a daughter of both houses Tavistock and Durnham, I believe my station is high enough to ask this question. Are you, or are you not, the Inquisitor leading this operation?"
Inquisitor
Nether Seed

Postby Kear'Naun » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:30 am

Castella sat, watching and listening to the spectacle unfolding. Taking her eyes of the mutant only for a moment to glance at the list of names acknowledging it as the death sentence it probably was, one way or another. Furrowing her brows ever so slightly as this “Aluna” goes on about the people in the room before offering her services in a way.

There is little choice but to serve in Castellas opinion. Sitting in a cell doing nothing, or worse, just is no option for her. But to serve at the side of a mutant? Well she didn’t look to bad as far as mutants go, but still. She takes a few calming breathes and tries to calm herself with silent prayer while the soldiers and the arbitrator offer their services as well.

Folding her hands, touching her Ring of Sufferage Castella rises to stand before Konstantin and Crozarkum. “You know that I live to serve. And I will serve you to the best of my abilities. But I’m certain you know that by asking me to serve alongside this … demihuman … you ask me to bend my oaths to the point of breaking.”
Kear'Naun
Demon

Postby Kitab Al'Ibar » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:39 am

Tobias watched the three step forward one after the other, First the indomitable Reid, then the knightly Jestella considering his response with a wry smile, there was always at least one who was suspicious: "Thank you Reid, though you prefer to work alone, please try to share your "immortal" presence with the others." It was difficult to tell whether he was mocking the nickname or being serious, he had encountered several such nicknames over his career and had seen how wrong most of them were, only the lucky few could keep them time and time again: "Jestella, fret not, your questions will be answered, but first we must ask your commitment." His gaze wandered from Jestella to Melina: "Many of us have duties to attend to, this meeting must not delay us too long, lest the absence of notable figures draw attention."

A chuckle came from Lauchlin: "Yes, those troop disciplinaries won't wait." He had caught the true message, which was that some questions would not be answered while he, Elias and Melina were in the room, they had been invited because they could be useful if this conspiracy ran deeply, but they were not trusted. It stung, but he could see the rationale.

Valance was the one to answer Castella, leaning forward slightly in earnest seriousness: "That is exactly why I invited you here. Your faith is your shield" He made a sign of devotion to the God Emperor: "I ask that you extend it to your fellows as a shield against the depredations of the mutant and other heresies that might be unearthed."
Kitab Al'Ibar
Vel'akar

Postby Writer » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:09 pm

Krak looks stunned at Tobias' praise, and the request to 'go easy' on the mutant and other potential recruits assembled. He settles for hiding his misgivings and adding another salute to his response.

"As you ask, sir," he says. Praise from an inquisitor. There was a double-edged sword. It was Mara no doubt, coming back to haunt him again. Silently, Kretas prayed this endeavour would be nothing like THAT horrible series of events.
Writer
Vel'akar

Postby Kitab Al'Ibar » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:50 pm

A slow moment passed as almost everyone in the room waited for the Jestella to answer, but the woman remained silent, much to the veiled displeasure of several of the assembled group. The threat of incarceration was not idle, but of all of them, Jestella would be the most problematic, her position as the daughter of two houses left few ways to justify holding her without creating a furore or revealing the presence of an inquisitor. Both were unattractive options.

“By my own admission, we have no time to waste, so we will continue.” He gave Jestella a level stare: “How much you know of the investigation will not be of any use to you in a cell.” He drew a remote from a pocket and pressed a button, to which nothing responded. A slight flick of annoyance marred his features as he gestured to Valance: “Lance, if you would...”

The younger man obliged, standing up, and leaving a wide berth around Aluna, who had remained close, leaning over the table in the centre he revealed a control panel and after a few button presses a wavering image appeared in the centre of the table, an incomplete 3-dimensional representation of the city, at least as it had first been designed, a glance out the window would show it was much changed, but the basic layout remained the same. A heavy handed thump to the top of the table caused the image to settle, and Valance stepped back, choosing to remain standing.

A press of the remote caused a red blip to appear at the eastern edge, several levels below the city streets: “What we have revealed thus far is that the focus of her initial investigation was this area, with the most direct access from Elevator 46.” He indicated a shaft that ran the complete height of the outer walls and down into the depths. “Reports suggest a strong mutant presence in this area, with frequent clashes between scavenging groups or gangs. We believe that our predecessor was trying to learn more about the effects of your planetary cycle on other creatures, presumably, she felt some mutants might react differently to it.” It was admittedly, something the other inquisitors had not considered, they did not see how the responses of beasts mattered. “We do not know her findings, if any, or where she went from there. You are to explore this area, confirm the reports and look for any trace of her investigation.”

He was not finished, another press of the button caused several more red dots to appear, some around the Starport – much more humble in the original design – and others in the run down rim areas, a few appeared in the Noble level, but flashed once and disappeared before sense could be made of them: “Notes we have recovered from other investigations suggest that she was concerned about a number of groups acting on this planet, we do not why, but we intend to find out.” His gaze moved first to Lauchlin: “Commissar: Smuggling and piracy are rife this close to the Halo Stars, she believed a variety of contraband was being smuggled, significantly beyond the norm you would expect. I would like you to suggest randomly assigned ship-boarding and searching exercises to the Imperial Navy and Guard ships in orbit. I leave the specifics to you, direct any objections to me.”

Immediately his gaze washed across the group to Melina at the other side of the room: “General: I ask that you shake up the PDF compliment at the Starport, check records, increase efficiency, put eyes on the ground, what the Guard may miss, you may catch.” The hint of rivalry would be enough to keep both groups focused. His gaze moved again: “Lord Marshal, your men will be needed, but for now, I must ask your discretion: the enforcers are not directly under your purview, but you have pull with them, these areas around the rim show gang activity. She claimed she saw a pattern, if you can convince them to investigate, it would be appreciated.” Elias grunted, the enforcers were a mixed group, mostly corrupt and at best a fairly blunt instrument against the gangs, he wouldn’t have been called here for that paltry matter, his eyes had fixed on the lights that had flashed at the top of the city, his human eye may not have been able to make the connections quick enough, but his cybernetic one was another matter. He knew where his true investigation lay, and why it hadn’t been stated openly.

The display disappeared at the touch of a button and the three leaders stood to leave, each saluting in their own way and offering assurances that they would get the job done, Valance moved ahead of them to the door, ready to open it and shake their hands as they left and remind them that they were not to overtly help the acolytes, the Arbitrators, PDF and Guard should not be aware of the investigation. Tobias indicated the rest remain seated until the group had filtered out of the door and the heavy lock slammed shut again and Valance crossed the room, heading instead past the group to the desk at the back. “Now is the time for your commitment Jestella, and any questions you all may have.”
Kitab Al'Ibar
Vel'akar

Postby Writer » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:18 pm

"One thing, if I may be so bold as to ask," says Kretas, looking at the remaining persons in the room. An arrogant mutant, a hesitant PDF noble (tsk), a cock-sure arbite and one of the ministorium's very own sororitas. They were a strange bunch to gather together. Realizing he's leaving an Inquisitor hanging, he hurriedly continues on.

"To what degree are we expected to work together as a unit?"
Writer
Vel'akar

Postby Inquisitor » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:33 pm

Jestella remained impassive and silent for several seconds more beyond when the urging for a commitment was issued; she did not take responsibilities of loyalty lightly despite who they came from. Already stretched quite thin in that regard, the House Guards, the Knights, the PDF, and her two Houses. "Apologies, Sir, as with all things one must take great pause in giving consideration to such issues; we must all give weight to anything of importance if a mission is to succeed, no?" Her eyes leveled on the man who everyone suspected to be an Inquisitor; it was quite a calm, rather bold gaze too.

After all he had just answered every suspicion she'd had up to this point.

"Our world does not produce foolish soldiers, only loyal warriors understanding the full birth of what they are committed to," she was being careful regardless, as it was the woman's nature to be polite in any case. "I am also unaccustomed to having my loyalty forced on me with ultimatums, however necessary they may be, of course." She'd raise a single gloved hand to remove the glasses riding on her nose, folding them up and pocketing them under the breast of her armor. "But I would not be on your list if my commitment to the cause was not already assured before it was known to me,"

Now it was odd because she certainly didn't bow as Aluna had, or salute like Kretas. Of course she was being just subtle enough not to appear overly rude about the lack of that gesture, but anyone keen might pick up on the fact she was doing it for much more than arrogance's sake. "I submit my person to the Inquisition,"
Inquisitor
Nether Seed

Postby Kitab Al'Ibar » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:46 am

From where Valance was behind the desk there was the sound of shifting items as two packs thudded on the desktop, sending date slates skitting to the floor, followed by another two, and then he straightened, holding a fifth bag slung over his shoulder: “And your person is well received.” He said to Jestella with no particular sign of annoyance or relief as he lifted the other packs two in each hand: “You asked Tobias whether he was your Inquisitor.” He paused for the briefest of moments as he effortlessly navigated the accumulated mess back towards the table: “He isn’t. I am.” There was no effort to announce it, just a statement of fact as he dumped the 5 packs unceremoniously on the table: his air of slightly foppish nobility and religious fervour were replaced by a far more predatory and businesslike posture, though he clearly still maintained a muted disdain for the mutant.

Each of the packs on the table varied in shape and size, but all were wrapped in plastic sheathes bearing the name of one of the acolytes. Valance lifted the one titled Kretas and tossed it to the grizzled veteran: “Work together to whatever degree it takes you to complete your mission. I do not know what threat we face here, but do not take it lightly.”

Tobias placed his drink glass to the side with a general air of distaste and stood, giving Jestella a respectful bow: “You’re apology is accepted and returned in kind. Any offence caused from our response was not intended, the charade we maintain was for the benefit of your superiors. Better they think the Inquisitor a paternal old man who lets himself be led by a religious fanatic, bent on success at any cost, than doubt the wisdom and veracity of orders given by one younger than themselves.” It was the most innocent of the many reasons they had decided to use this act, but far from the only one. In a smooth motion he lifted Luna’s pack, which was smaller and lighter, than the others and held it out for the girl: “The two of you may have gotten off on the wrong foot; I suggest you start over.” He sent a pointed glance at Valance and in a quieter voice added: “Though some apologies may be in order... from both of you.”

Valance obviously overheard and gave a non-committal grunt as he pushed the remaining packs towards their respective owners and leant over the table, hands palm down on its surface as he waited for them to slice open the bags: “Everything you should need to get started: a locked data-slate with what little we know so far, a luminator, micro-bead and whistle should you get separated, a few thrones to stave off prying eyes and something to help you blend in a little.” He cast a glance across the myriad and multi-coloured crew: “You will draw too much attention dressed like that. These overcoats and cloaks will identify you as a Low-Hive scavenger band, try to keep up appearances.”

Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, three of the bags contained unloaded weapons, complete with a pair of matching clips that would feel familiar in the hands of those that received them. Aluna’s pack instead contained a separate bag, containing those items taken from her when she was arrested, leaving only Jestella without a weapon - not an oversight so much as the knowledge that such a gesture would likely insult her, her mother families were both known for their like of weaponry, and it was unlikely she wasn’t already adequately prepared. “Is there anything else you wish to ask?”

((OOC: The Low Hive Overcoats/Coats counts as AP 2: All: Primitive armour weighing 6 Kg, you can describe it however you like, provided you keep it in the theme of slightly battered scavenger, but they are there to hide uniforms or identifying features/armour that would show you as completely out of place. If you want to make up a symbol or name for your disguise group, feel free to do so in character or in the OOC Thread. Spending money is 100 Thrones each.There are also 4 rations.))
Kitab Al'Ibar
Vel'akar

Postby Writer » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:02 am

Krak glances incredulously from Valance to Tobias, noting the sudden change in behaviour with a surprised expression.

"I... see. Misdirection. Good luck with that, sirs," he says, wondering why the two had decided to expose the group to the truth. Particularly someone as mercurial as the mutant seemed to be. Perhaps they were lying again, as a way of rooting out traitors? Krak wasn't sure, and frankly, he probably shouldn't care either way. Catching his package as Valance throws it to him, he combs through the gear, looking appreciatively at the weapon inside, then finding the locked data-slate with the briefing. If he can get it to open for him he'll try to read its contents, even as he keeps an eye on the proceedings.

I presume those packs contain our 'gift' weapon, yes? Beside the coat and the extra stash, is anything of our gear there? If not, I'll have to consider whether or not Sergeant Krak went to this meeting armed and armoured, or how much bother it's going to be to go back and fetch it.
Writer
Vel'akar

Postby Kitab Al'Ibar » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:33 pm

Valance waited a few moments as they inspected their gear, but no questions were forthcoming: "Very well. You have your mission and you have equipment, a shuttle tram is leaving in about 15 minutes that should take you near where you need to be. I shouldn't be late. The next one is not for another hour." He gave them a dismissive wave: "Oh, and keep in touch, I expect to be informed of what you discover."

Tobias waited for them to make themselves ready with their new equipment and then unlocked the door, swinging it open to let them leave, offering a cheerful smile and a benediction of 'The Emperor Protects' to each of them as they passed, and then once they were out quietly shut and locked the heavy door again and looking at Valance: "Do you think they will succeed?"

"Only the Emperor knows. Christina chose them for a reason, she hasn't often been wrong." He paused, frowning darkly: "Though this investigation already contains too many firsts for my liking."

-----------------------------------------------

The descent from the office through the hushed and almost deserted upper tiers and down the endless elevator took almost ten minutes, and their arrival was just in time to squeeze onto the tram, battling for space with the other passengers packed tight against each other with just enough room to breathe the sticky air clearly: the early afternoon rush was drawing to a close, the close of one shift and beginning of the next, there were the final stragglers being whisked away from their posts in the manufactorums before their replacements pressed back onto the tram like sardines.

The quick press of bodies would push them out of the station and into the streets where the throng would diminish, as people finally disentangled and went their separate ways, some heading home, others to spend their hard earned thrones at the bazaar stalls or gaming tables that littered the streets, other still to drink and indulge in earthly pleasures among the taverns and brothels located so close to the edge of the ‘civilised’ part of the hive. Ahead of the acolytes, the ‘curtain wall’ of Novash would rise to unfathomable heights that could barely be gleaned from their position at its base. Perhaps a hundred metres away lay the elevator, remarkable for being one of the only uncrowded areas, containing only a couple of shady looking groups milling in the street and an armed group that might have been a gang or another scavenger band arguing hotly among themselves.

The reason for this emptiness would become apparent the closer they got to the elevator. The doors were sealed and out-of-order stickers had been placed on it. They were recent, but already defaced - presumably by one of the milling groups - the graffiti seemed to suggest this was not uncommon.

((OOC: Apologies if people had been planning to post, but I did wait several days. For equipment, it would be easiest to assume you brought it with you or that your superiors had ordered it brought to the place when they left, meaning it was waiting for you outside the meeting room. That is the – lengthy – intro finished; choices are now in your hands, if you have questions about the area you are in, ask in the OOC thread and I will answer.))
Last edited by Kitab Al'Ibar on Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kitab Al'Ibar
Vel'akar

Next

Return to Game Tavern