Freshly remodeled, the Game Tavern serves as your place to go to participate in roleplay or gaming threads with other members of the forum.

Warhammer 40k: Dark Heresy: A Soul’s Worth (OOC - OPEN)

Re: Warhammer 40,000: Dark Heresy: A Soul’s Worth (OOC) (Clo

Postby Writer » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:04 pm

Oooh, xp. Lovely lovely xp. I'll have to think about what to spend this on.

"Any questions?"

Are we allowed to buy skills and talents without having to ICly 'train' them, or do you have any special rules on spending 'downtime' to train them?

Would you be open to getting a replacement for Jestella at some point? We're still four people, but if anyone sees the game and wants to get in, perhaps they could apply now, while waiting for an opportunity to join.
Writer
Vel'akar

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Re: Warhammer 40,000: Dark Heresy: A Soul’s Worth (OOC) (Clo

Postby Kitab Al'Ibar » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:32 pm

First, as it’s a short answer: I will change the title to Semi-Open instead of Closed, if anyone in interested they can pm me or post here.

Secondly: I can’t see myself having an issue with people picking up skills or talents as we go provided it can be reasonably taken as a development of something you have been doing in game or would reasonably have experience in from your background.

Krak gaining most weapon talents would be quite natural, or even skills like Carouse would make perfect sense given his backstory and what’s been happening in the campaign. Similarly Luna gaining Heightened Senses (Hearing) would make sense from her feline ears, her suddenly learning how to pilot hover vehicles might seem a little bit strange.

There will be occasions of downtime where training in things that might be completely alien to your character can be arranged and you’ll know when you get to them. So really, all I ask is that you post what choices you make and update the sheets. If people want to include a brief(!) description of how they would know the skill they can, but only if they think I might question it.

If people really aren’t sure, then either post up and ask or poke me on Skype/MSN.

The irony of me asking people to be brief is not lost on me...

Edit: Also, thank you for breaking my monologue on this thread XD
Kitab Al'Ibar
Vel'akar

Re: Warhammer 40k: Dark Heresy: A Soul’s Worth (OOC - SEMI-O

Postby blackshade10 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:20 pm

To be totally honest, I've lost a lot of my drive for this. I've just been going along with things, but had no inspiration to post.
blackshade10
Dark Chibi Demon

Location: Ashie Cleavage, plotting war against those of the Zala cleavage.
Clan: Sullisin'rune

Postby Kitab Al'Ibar » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:34 am

Entirely understandable, things have moved a lot slower than I'd have liked and when these things move slowly it is difficult to keep interest in it and that quickly becomes a downward spiral where people post less and less until it dies. That is why i'm trying to push things forward and set a pace to it, I hope it helps get people more interested.

I don't like to set deadlines, but honestly 3 days should be plenty of time for at least one or two of the four of you to post something either in the IC or here in the OOC to ask if anyone is doing something, at the very least it lets me know somebody is paying attention and if people are going to do something I will know to wait a bit longer.

So I'm going to keep trying to set the pace and keep things interesting, hopefully something will appeal to each of you, beyond that, it's out of my hands and down to you to sort yourselves out. ^^;
Kitab Al'Ibar
Vel'akar

Postby Writer » Wed May 04, 2011 10:31 am

Spending my 100 xp on buying Awareness. Krak's been away from war for a while now, but things are starting to look hairy and his soldier's instincts (i.e. mild paranoia) are kicking back in.
Writer
Vel'akar

Postby Kitab Al'Ibar » Fri May 06, 2011 3:22 pm

Awareness is a good choice. I was shocked when I flicked back and only SG/'Luna has it, It will help.

I'm holding on off on a reply for a short while to give other people a chance to get down and take a look. I want at least one more of you to have a go at things that are there - maybe trying to tell what weapons are used or reading the scrawl - before I put up Sim's next action - which may spring further ideas in the observant reader if I feel you've missed an element.

Just to get it out of the way quickly, the autogun Krak picked up is jammed, the chamber choked on the last couple of bullets and cracked in places. As a soldier Krak (or equally Reid as an arbite or Castella as a Sororitas) might be able to tell it had been heavily modified to suit a sharpshooters trade and the strain of full-auto fire had pushed some of the sensitive modifications beyond their tolerance. it could probably be repaired, but not without time and the right tools.

edit: I did not expect such a quick response. Sink your teeth into that and see if thers anything else you want to investigate before you all tire of this deeply blood-soaked section. ^^;
Kitab Al'Ibar
Vel'akar

Postby Kitab Al'Ibar » Wed May 11, 2011 3:14 pm

Apologies for the few days of silence. I've been a bit under the weather and trying to get some of my university work finished - I finish in 20 days, so its a rush to finish everything and prepare for exams etc - and typically I have been and still am a bit under the weather, so my mind is a little bit frayed.

I'll try and get a post up, but for people wanting to post, I'll just cover the basic here:

The elvator doors are metal, meet in the middle as you might expect. The small control pannel Krak hammered at contains 5 buttons in a + configuration, but the markers have faded. When Krak pressed them there was a small whine, the lights above you flickered, sparked and then you were plunged back into your torchlight and the clunk sounded from within the door.

Most of you - Apart from Castella - are Hivers so you can use Tech Use at half Int. If you are trying to tinker with the elevator through the twisted bullet hole above the panel then it will be a Tech Use +10 test. If you simply try to identify what the clunk was. Tech use +20. Black, due you your characters backstory you would get an additional +10 on these, but your penalty for failing your fear roll (-10) cancels these out.

Also, you can try to force the doors, but you might want something to use as a wedge. That would be a Strength check with modifiers on if you do manage to macgyver a wedge or lever - there are some materials to hand.

Lastly, as Writer said, awareness checks please. Roll them up and include them in the post, I'll describe whatever you hear when I write the post.
Kitab Al'Ibar
Vel'akar

Postby Kitab Al'Ibar » Wed May 18, 2011 4:04 pm

Battle Stations: Ok, initiative turned out to be extraordinarily slow last time, so this time what we are doing is simple:
Each of you post your actions and rolls for this turn and then I will post up their actions as soon as I can. I won’t wait indefinitely though, so whatever happens in the meantime, I will post up their first action sometime on Sunday at the latest. Sim has already had her go this turn and she is not blocking anyone’s way, the rest of you have not taken your turns yet.

The elevator doorway is about 2 metres wide, but at a squeeze three of you could stand abreast in it – if you do, then shooting will be unaffected, but you will only gain half the usual benefits from aim actions and melee combat would be affected – the corridor is wider and you could stand three abreast comfortably.

The drop from the elevator into the corridor will not take a roll, but will count as two ‘squares’ of movement.

The bodies are scattered in various places, for ease we will say there is a 6 metre clear patch in front of the elevator, and they are spaced haphazardly in six metre patches after that. The furthest being then at just over 40 metres away where the centipede is enjoying its meal. There are some 7 rats in the 6 to 18m range, mostly crowded around the bodies, due to their small size and protection, they are at a -20 to hit, -10 if they are not near the bodies.

Anybody suffering from fear effects may roll to overcome them as usual in battle, but for each turn you fail you may only take a half action. People who already succeeded before hand do not need to take new fear rolls. Also, some people still need to make awareness checks.

If there is anything else, do ask and I will try to respond in a timely fashion. A bit busy with reports at the moment though so it may take a bit.
Kitab Al'Ibar
Vel'akar

Postby Kitab Al'Ibar » Sun May 22, 2011 10:55 pm

Apologies, my report today took a lot longer than I expected to complete, has wiped me brain and has caused my right hand to act up again making typing awkward. I'll get the response up tomorrow. *doh*
Kitab Al'Ibar
Vel'akar

Postby Kitab Al'Ibar » Mon May 23, 2011 9:34 pm

Alright, posts up.

Just a note, I've put up the damage as rolled, most (if not all of the attack there) will be mitigated by your armours and toughness. Remember, all of the attacks being levelled at you are Primitive, so AP from your non-primitive armours is doubled against them before penetration is removed.

Remember though that if you are relying on the scavenger cloaks that they are Primitive AP 2, so they will not help you much.

Edit: I'll aim my next post for Thursday, maybe Friday due to the lateness of this one. Roll well. :D
Kitab Al'Ibar
Vel'akar

Postby Kitab Al'Ibar » Sat May 28, 2011 5:03 pm

Given that we have a lot of ranged characters, I'm going to test a modified version of the maneuver rule that will allow maneuver to be used in two ways. The first way is the way outlined in the book, the second way is a means to allow people using Basic Weapons a chance of shooting their weapon in melee.

The opposed roll will be made against the enemy you are trying to shoot. Your rolls should be taken as usual against your WS, I will factor modifiers into the enemies roll, i.e. a bonus proportionate to how many other opponents you have, to them having melee specific weapons and whatever else seems to be the case at the time etc. Obviously, rolling like this is easiest if you can poke me on skype or msn - apologies i've not been around much, I've had some connection issues, but they should be resolved.

The number of degrees of success that you (or the enemy) achieve will apply modifiers to your BS, so just succeeding on the opposed roll might give you a -10 to BS due to only just managing,
- a degree of success would mean you roll against your normal BS.
- 2 degrees of success you might even get a bonus as the opponent leaves himself open.

This would be for firing single shot only on a Basic Weapon and as normal for a pistol firing in melee, Point Blank modifiers do not apply, nor do any other modifiers for equipment on the gun.

Some of you have played DH more than I, let me know if this seems reasonable. I will try to get a post up later tonight.

--------------------------

I would consider allowing the firing of Semi- or Full-Auto fire if you had delayed an action the previous turn giving you the opportunity for a 3 action turn provided the maneuver is the first action and the Semi or Full-Auto fire fills the remaining two. Under no circumstances would I allow it to bridge turns, it wouldn't make sense under the circumstances.
Kitab Al'Ibar
Vel'akar

Postby Kitab Al'Ibar » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:51 pm

Sorry guys, moving house this weekend has floored me, I'm exhausted and need a bit of time to try and sort everything out, I'll try and get a post up soon, but it may not be today. >.<
Kitab Al'Ibar
Vel'akar

Postby Writer » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:45 pm

Hey, don't sweat it, Kitab. You've done a great job so far, and if you need a break from the regular updates, you're well welcome to take one.
Writer
Vel'akar

Postby Kitab Al'Ibar » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:35 pm

Haha, unintentional, I assure you. By sods law i've caught some sort of flu as soon as I got home. Some friends brought it back from Download festival last weekend and must have passed it on when they dropped by almost as soon as I got home. Feeling truely terrible. *doh*

Still, it'll pass in another day or two and I'll be back to normal I'm sure.
Kitab Al'Ibar
Vel'akar

Postby Writer » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:50 pm

It's been a while now! Still down with the plague, or is RL keeping you busy? I don't mind a break, to be honest, but I would like to continue this in some manner later on. You're quite the GM and Krak is developing nicely into the groucho veteran I imagined him to be.
Writer
Vel'akar

PreviousNext

Return to Game Tavern