Freshly remodeled, the Game Tavern serves as your place to go to participate in roleplay or gaming threads with other members of the forum.

Retribution by Fire: The Elven War with the Dwarven Peoples

Re: Retribution by Fire: The Elven War with the Dwarven Peop

Postby Swordwind » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:13 am

My original intention is to have two commanders working together. But whatever works for you best, since you claimed Dwarven GM. Everyone should post their profiles, so we can begin soon.
Swordwind
Tik'tikki

Clan: Sarghress

Postby blackshade10 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:14 am

Swordwind wrote:My original intention is to have two commanders working together. But whatever works for you best, since you claimed Dwarven GM. Everyone should post their profiles, so we can begin soon.

I think I'll fly solo in the Commander role for now. ^^
blackshade10
Dark Chibi Demon

Location: Ashie Cleavage, plotting war against those of the Zala cleavage.
Clan: Sullisin'rune

Postby Kitab Al'Ibar » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:55 am

I'm curious to see how this develops, I'd join in now, but I'm going to be in another country for a month soon and probably wont be very active. If possible I might join up on my return, but thats towards the end of July. ^^;
Kitab Al'Ibar
Vel'akar

Postby James Rye » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:42 pm

Swordwind wrote:My idea for now is:

Character Profile/ Applications

- [General Information]

Full Name of Character:
Unofficial Title:
Military Rank:
Position within the Army:
House/Clan/ Political Affiliation:
Physical Traits:
Physical Limitations:
Religion:

Brief History:

- [Equipment]

Head:
Torso:
Groin:
Right Arm:
Left Arm:
Right Leg:
Left Leg:
Main hand:
Offhand:
Spells:
Rug-sack:
Other:

- [Leadership]

Formation:
General Equipment:
Size:
Experience:

The Chain of Command is posted in the first post.

Uhm, isn´t that a bit... much? ^^;
Shouldn´t we try to make that a bit mor simple like Rank, Armour, left weapon/shield, right weapon/shield and that´s it?

Also i thought that instead of 5 the troops should have 20 soldiers. That´s more of the bulk you want to have for the battle and with 10 troops involved we already got over 200 soldiers plus their officers. Also those 20 can move in 5-4 fomation (5 soldiers in four ranks) or 4-5 (4 soldiers in 5 ranks), that´s more like it was in the romane empire age and it would bring some order into the game. ^^

As for the rules:
What are they to begin with? What the main goal of the game (winning of cource, question is what and how^^)? How will the first game looks like? Will it get another thread? Will each faction get an own thread for discussing tactics or rpg? Will tehre be a *war diary* which will held all the outcomes of the battles in a story-like telling? Do you need help with the game? Should we have such troops like i offered as idea or not?

Also when we start the first game, could only you and blackshade10 have a *skirmish* (sure you´re th generals, but in this first time you´re leading as seargeants as example for us) - a small battle between a patrouling group of each faction, both saw each other, attacked the enemy and the outcome will have a small effect on the next battle (like last winner faction can make first move or something like that)?

Cause so you two as GMs can already get some experience with the game and his rules as you plan to play it and you will set an example for us newbies who don´t know the rules yet and can use this *skirmish* as a ideal role. :3

Also can we post here our ideas about the culture of our races and their society?
James Rye
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Postby LazarusRising » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:41 pm

Can I be a supply sergeant or quartermaster for the dwarves?
LazarusRising
Summoner

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby blackshade10 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:38 pm

LazarusRising wrote:Can I be a supply sergeant or quartermaster for the dwarves?

Sure. :3
blackshade10
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby James Rye » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:23 am

So far we have one dwarven GM plus three players under his terror-i mean command.
As for the elves it´s one elven GM and one player.

And someone who´s will join at july, which faction is unclear so far.

Guess for the first game it should be only the GM and maybe one other player as officier/other rank so that people will get an idea how this game work. ^^
James Rye
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Postby Swordwind » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:20 pm

Seeing that the sides are unbalanced at this second, we’ll wait for a few more people.

The rules are somewhat experimental at this second. As we’re waiting, we’ll refine story, rules, and readjust the profile template. When finished, I’ll repost the information on the first page, change the title to sign ups, and post another thread to RP in. Sounds fair?
Also i thought that instead of 5 the troops should have 20 soldiers. That´s more of the bulk you want to have for the battle and with 10 troops involved we already got over 200 soldiers plus their officers. Also those 20 can move in 5-4 fomation (5 soldiers in four ranks) or 4-5 (4 soldiers in 5 ranks), that´s more like it was in the romane empire age and it would bring some order into the game. ^^

Never said anything about leading five troops. Have not finished establishing how many soldiers we have per formation. I only opened up ranks, so that it's possible to play from a lowly soldier, to a commanding officer. Still in the process of finalizing those rules. My idea is that since a player has two actions per turn, if a commander performs two defense actions for two turns, the formation he leads begins to lose morale, and some people start retreating. A 'lowly soldier' then has the opportunity to rally the men. Something along these lines, still writing it out.
Swordwind
Tik'tikki

Clan: Sarghress

Postby blackshade10 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:26 am

Swordwind wrote:Seeing that the sides are unbalanced at this second, we’ll wait for a few more people.

The rules are somewhat experimental at this second. As we’re waiting, we’ll refine story, rules, and readjust the profile template. When finished, I’ll repost the information on the first page, change the title to sign ups, and post another thread to RP in. Sounds fair?

Never said anything about leading five troops. Have not finished establishing how many soldiers we have per formation. I only opened up ranks, so that it's possible to play from a lowly soldier, to a commanding officer. Still in the process of finalizing those rules. My idea is that since a player has two actions per turn, if a commander performs two defense actions for two turns, the formation he leads begins to lose morale, and some people start retreating. A 'lowly soldier' then has the opportunity to rally the men. Something along these lines, still writing it out.

You have Sword Goddess.

Of course the teams are unfair!

Toward the team SG isn't on. : P
blackshade10
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Sword Goddess » Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:58 pm

Lol, I can't help being a genius with a hankering for stories, books, and documentaries on ancient arms and armor, or warfare. Though I suppose you can really pool those two together.

*coughs* Regardless I can probably help out with a traditional ball-park of numbers when it comes to historical military bodies.

Fireteam: 4 man unit lead by a NCO
Squad: 8 to 13 man unit lead by a "squad leader" (NCO)
Platoon: 26 to 55 man unit lead by a "platoon leader"(junior officer)
Company: 80 to 225 man unit lead by a Captain or Major
Battalion: 300 to 1300 man unit lead by a Colonel
Regiment: 3000 to 5000 man unit lead by a Colonel or Brigadier
Division: 10000 to 15000 man unit lead by a Major General
Corps: 20000 to 45000 man unit lead by a Lieutenant General
Field Army: 80000 to 200000 man unit lead by a General

I didn't feel the need to go higher than this because I don't think we'd be working with number exceeding these amounts; we may even be using less.

Obviously a Field Army, is made up of a variable number of Corps - which is then made up of a number of Divisions. Etc. Etc. Right down to a Fireteam which is part of a Squad. I didn't really look up traditional Roman military organization, let me look - but this does give a basic idea of how organization might look.
Sword Goddess
Demon

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby Sir Malifact » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:32 pm

I'll be taking some tactics and stratagems, if you can call them that, from our good friends the Norse in order to use a unit of Dwarven Besarkar effectively.

Oh, and in regards of Dwarven Firearms, would it be possible for there to be an insane clan of gun-obsessed nutcases who've gone ahead and crafted Cannons?

And you're mistaken, Blackshade.... i'm not looking for a 2nd-in-command role (though I do believe there should be one) but simply for an officer position lower down the ranks. A Colonel in charge of a regiment, and such. Or possibly the clan-leader for the Bersaarkar, who will defer to the pre-ordained chain of command.
Sir Malifact
Demon

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby blackshade10 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:15 pm

Sir Malifact wrote:I'll be taking some tactics and stratagems, if you can call them that, from our good friends the Norse in order to use a unit of Dwarven Besarkar effectively.

Oh, and in regards of Dwarven Firearms, would it be possible for there to be an insane clan of gun-obsessed nutcases who've gone ahead and crafted Cannons?

And you're mistaken, Blackshade.... i'm not looking for a 2nd-in-command role (though I do believe there should be one) but simply for an officer position lower down the ranks. A Colonel in charge of a regiment, and such. Or possibly the clan-leader for the Bersaarkar, who will defer to the pre-ordained chain of command.

You can flavor it any way you want, I listed the highest ranking position available farther back in the thread.
blackshade10
Dark Chibi Demon

Previous

Return to Game Tavern