Freshly remodeled, the Game Tavern serves as your place to go to participate in roleplay or gaming threads with other members of the forum.

Dragonbane

Re: Dragonbane

Postby Maria » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:44 am

The bard raised an interested eyebrow, and choose a nice rock to sit on, gently setting Ann down next to him. He mouthed a 'don't worry' to her before turning back to face the Sphinx from where he sat.

"Sure. I'll play your game, love. But first...I'd like to have some lunch." He set his pack down by his feet and reached in to pull out a small knife, a bread slice, and some strawberry jam. "Can't answer riddles on an empty stomach you see. And surely you won't kill me seeing as I'm not on your land just yet. Besides, a lady of riddles such as yourself has a lot of patience I imagine." Stribor gave the Sphinx a wink and set to spreading the jam over his bread. He bit into the bread, chewing for a moment before he spoke again. "Everything causes something you said. So, wot has caused you to guard this area like so?"

The bard bit into his bread again, giving the Sphinx an inviting look.

"And was this land worth gaining? Did it come to you with a risk, love?"
Maria
Vel'akar

Clan: Sharen

Postby Blue » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:01 am

Ann was tempted to do a facepalm, but she tried not to. She saw the rest of the group keeping as far away from the sphinx as possible, without being too obvious. With good reason to. She felt exposed where she was sitting. They were surely going to get the question wrong, the sphinx would make certain of that. Althought she was curious to hear the riddle...

It seemed as if 1 out of 3 times they went back to the riddle of 'what has four legs in the morning...' and so on. During her readings she had come across a few of theese meetings and most of them did not end well. The few times they did it was either because the 'hero' had allready heard the riddle and knew the answer or there was more then one hero and they were allowed to collaborate to get an answer.

Ann looked up at the sphinx and swallowed. Sure she could talk herself out of most situations, but one such as this demanded more skills than she possesed. She could however have a chance at giving them a fair try at least. As most creatures, sphinxes responded well to flattering. Most of the time anyway. She coughed lightly to grab the attention for a second.
'Great sphinx. I hope you do not expect only one of us mere mortals to compete against your many years of knowledge? I am certain that you are a fair judge and that you can tell that even collected we do not compare to your excelent mind?

Ann held her breath in anticipation. Hopefully she had chosen the right words. Even thought her intentions were extremly transparent she hoped the sphinxs would either be flattered, feeling mercyfull or simply intrigued.
Blue
Tainted

Postby Zickman » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:02 am

The sphinx blinked in what seem to be surprise, it gave the bard a look of interest as he casually sat on a rock and began buttering a piece of bread. It then stretch forward with a yawn.
"Take all the time in the world youngling," it purred. "I do have forever after all."
It cocked its head to the side as Stribor continued to question it. The Sphinx gave a devious smile,
"The land is worth defending for no other reason than that it is land young one." It said softly. "It is worth what land is worth. I risked a lot gaining it, but not as much as you risk."
The Sphinx then turned its great head to the Feral, it observed her for a couple seconds with its luminous red eyes.
"You may all discuss the riddles as long as you wish." It finally stated. "It gives me more satisfaction that way.". The Sphinx whipped its tail around excitedly as it spoke, undoubtedly contemplating the kill to come.

Zaen gritted his teeth preparing himself to charge forward, maybe if he could stab it in the eye.....no, that would never work. He had the feeling that it would never worth. It was beyond his ability to hurt this Sphinx and he knew it, maybe he could run......NO! He instantly banished the coward's thought, he would not run while others he journey along with remain. The dishonor would be unbearable, he would never ever be able to live with himself. Zaen cursed the bard, they were dead. Even in an answer the sphinx spoke in riddles, it could not be outwitted.
Zickman
Summoner

Postby Blue » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:41 pm

Ann began breathing again and turned her attention to the bard. It seemed as if he was would be the one to determine the next course of action. However, he seemed busy eating his piece of bread.

Ann sighed and started examining her leg again. By now it was slightly swollen. If she tried walking, no less running, again now it would just get worse and she could become imobile for days. There was no time for such. She was a sitting duck.
Blue
Tainted

Postby Sir Malifact » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:17 pm

Skalvard edged his ferocious mount forwards, the mutated Wulfskraag letting out a low growl at the sight of the Sphinx. "Speak your riddle, beast. Enough time has been wasted" He declared loudly, the blunt words made harsher by his guttural accent. His fearsome Tzeentch-blessed helm hid his thoughts and his expression; but it could not hide the assured confidence in his voice. Though followers of Tzeentch delighted in scheming and trickery, he had no time to indulge himself; every second lengthened the distance between them and the dragon, and he would not allow this.... thing... to delay them any further. The bard could sit by the sidelines and continue to spout elegant platitude and witty one-liners; he doubted that it would be of any actual use, and if they failed to answer the creature's questions, then hthe bard would certainly be useless in the carnage which would follow. A hungry smile tugged at his lips, and he clenched his fist, blue veins standing out against his corpse-white skin: whether it would be a test of wit or the chance to do battle, he would bring glory to Tzeentch. Come whatever may.
Sir Malifact
Demon

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby Maria » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:43 am

"Then this land is clearly not nearly as much worth as a couple of words. Shame. So do you spend all your days here on your own lonesome? Surely not such a lovely specimen of nature's creation such as yourself?" Finishing off his bread and jam, the bard reached back into his large pack and pulled out....a tea set, and some biscuits. He took a moment to start up a small fire to boil water over and sat back on his rock lazily reaching out with his arm to seize Ann's injured foot and set it in his lap.

With careful fingers spidered about her ankle he began to gently massage the area, still turned to face the Sphinx.

"Don't you get bored with this whole asking people riddles business? I mean some here are clearly idiots. Not a challange at all." His green eyes flickered to the armored tincan and the goat then back to the creature. "Your own mind is too wast and deep to compete with. Wot do you say we....say, shake things up a lil' 'ere?"

Giving the Sphinx his most charming smile he tilted his head to the side, mimicking the movement of a curious cat.
"Wot about I ask you a riddle, love?"
Maria
Vel'akar

Postby Blue » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:34 am

A tiny whimper escaped her as her leg was moved. She then went on to grit her teeth. Wether it was because of the pain or the conversation she could not tell. The sphinx would eat them. She just knew it. They were all going to die.
Blue
Tainted

Postby The Watcher » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:32 pm

Zahra had carried up the rear of their little entourage, aiming to give her poor horse a reprieve by keeping it as far away from the Norseman and his mount as possible. Firewind was a brave beast, swift and noble, but even he was unsettled by the skraag. Then came a cry, and the unmistakable sound of shifting, falling stone. Zahra sized up the rolling boulder, snorted, and urged her horse a step to the side, spitting casually on the boulder as it barreled past an inch to her left and struck sparks off of the hubcap of the small cart she was pulling behind her. Up ahead she spotted the feral, laying on the slope net to a large, fresh divot and nursing an injured leg, and grumbled in annoyance. She'd be sure to treat it later, if it needed treating, but for now the girl would keep her reminder to step more carefully.

Then came the Sphinx...

Zahra acted slowly, deliberately. Here was a monster she had no real experience with. All she had to go on were the legends. She considered the contents of her cart, but dismissed them; they would take too long to get working, and would be too obvious. Instead, she deftly tugged on Firewind's reins, and slipped stealthily off the path when the others drew up to face the beast. Leaving Firewind and the cart tied and concealed in some scrub, she set offbow in hand, circling around until she had worked herself into a flank position, watching with a kind of contained tension as the bard delayed and wrongfooted the beast with honeyed words and the great monstrous man drew its attention with a challenge. From her well-concealed position, she nocked a viciously barbed arrow and aimed for the spinx's exposed eye. When in doubt, go for the eyes, she mouthed to herself, remembering her teacher's sayings. The bowstring stayed where it was, as the hobgobliness had no idea how long the exchange might take before it got ugly and didn't want to tire out her arm, or worse, let go prematurely, by drawing and holding a drawn bow. But regardless she was ready to draw and loose in an instant should she need to, and this close, on an unwary foe, she seldom missed...

But for now, she'd wait. Slaying a Sphinx would be a mighty deed, but she would be more than happy to bypass the creature without a fight. Monster though it was, Valnir'meral was far more important to her. If worst came to worst and her arrow failed to harm the creature when it attacked the rest of the party, well... it hadn't seen her yet. She always reserved the right to slip off while it was busy with the others.
The Watcher
Summoner

Postby Zickman » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:17 am

The Sphinx tilted its head towards the bold bard, a slow smile steadily spread over its face. The sheer audacity, the sheer cheekiness of this bard just made her happy. Shame that this could end in no other way but his death. With a great growling laugh the Sphinx spoke,
"You are brave small one," It chuckled. "So tell me bard, what do I gain should I answer your riddle? What is it that you possess which you can give me that I cannot simply take from you?" She purred the last bit looking extremely excited. Her tail flicked back and forth in its mesmerizing pattern.

Zaen turned around to examine his so called companions, the Dark One was there; a little distance back and sitting upon his demon glowering up at the Sphinx. Well at least Zaen thought he was glowering, he couldn't see through the helmet. Zaen noted that the Northern Monster had not yet drawn his weapon. Then of course there was the bard, his hand running up and down the Feral's ankle in some sort of massage, he was looking so calm. Was he a fool? Did he not appreciate the danger they were in? Zaen continued his search looking for Zahra, he saw her horse and cart but the Goblin herself was nowhere to be found. Zaen took a ready stance, it was up to him. He would attack as soon as the bard lost the game, which was inevitable. This was it, if Zaen was to die he would die in a blaze of glory. Nothing else would suffice.
Zickman
Summoner

Postby Maria » Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:30 am

The bard closed his eyes, seeming to focus on something known only to himself. Letting slip a sigh he looked back at the Sphinx with a tired but whole-hearted smile. "Wot do you get?"

He reached into his pack, not waiting for an answer. The man pulled out a small dagger, held it in one hand for a moment before rolling up the sleeve of his other hand. He showed both hands to the Sphinx to assure her he wasn't going to try anything, and without warning, dug the blade into his left wrist. Stribor's eyes rolled back as he bit into his bottom lip.

In a moment it was over and he pulled the blade out, wiping it off the thigh of his pants. The blood was a murky red, and ran thickly. He outstretched his left arm to the Sphinx. "This." The bard stated quite plainly, as if it were a normal day occurance. The purpose of the blood was something only felines would notice, as it mimicked the potent scent of Nepeta Cataria. Catnip, and a strong one at that.

If she were to kill him, the composition of his blood would return to being like any other.
Maria
Vel'akar

Postby Zickman » Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:45 am

The Sphinx began purring deep in its throat. The sound causing the earth to tremble. But when she spoke her voice was cold.
"I must admit that your blood is most pleasant smelling." The Sphinx sated. "But I asked for something that I cannot have by force, how exactly do you plan to stop me killing you and spilling all your blood should I have a mind to?"
She cocked her head at the bard waiting for a response. Then for the first time the Sphinx eyes darted around from the Feral on the ground at the bard's feet, to the Faun who standing a little distance behind to the duo struggling to fight against obvious fear, then finally to the Chaos Warrior at the very end who sat astride his demon mount staring back at her impassively.
"A Chaos warrior," The Sphinx said in apparent surprise. "And a follower of Tzeentch nonetheless. Curious."
The Sphinx then returned her gaze to the bard. waiting for an answer.
Zickman
Summoner

Postby Maria » Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:51 am

"Kill me and the blood will be as pleasant as chewing on dirt. It is with my own conscious effort that I do this. Though...something tells me that a lady of your class enjoys things far more appealing than dirt."

Smiling again, he inched a bit closer to the Sphinx. "Give it a try now if you wish, love."
Maria
Vel'akar

Postby Zickman » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:15 am

"Ahh," The Sphinx said taking a deep sniff. Quick as lighting a long thick purple snakelike tongue lashed out of her mouth and struck the bard's left arm with all the force and speed of a cow whip. "I knew I smell the scent of the forest people upon you. You are part Dryad, very interesting. Obviously some new trick of the living trees."
The Sphinx fell silent for a few seconds. Then finally it spoke out.
"Okay bard, you have convinced. I have a deal for you. You may ask me one riddle, should I answer it I will kill all your friends," she looked around at the other hungrily. "And spare you for the sole purpose of draining your sweet tasting nectar every couple days. Should I somehow answer wrongly, I will allow you to live."
The Sphinx gave a devious smile.
"In addition to this I shall still ask you a riddle of my own, should you get it right I will give you invaluable information regarding your impossible task. The slaying the Eternal Wyrm, the mighty Vanir'Meral. Should you get it wrong you shall swear to do me one service. This is optional."
The Sphinx smiled smugly as she waited for an answer. That would definitely give them something to chew on. The Sphinx thought for a moment then decided, this bard seem to be too confident. Why take chances? "I will ask my riddles to the Feral." It said suddenly. "She and only she will speak for the group." It looked hungrily upon the catlike figure crouched at the bard's feet.

Zaen was stunned. How did the monster know of their task? How was that possible? He glared around at his companions, the only answer was that there was a traitor among the ranks! He should have expected this traveling with monsters and demons. Anger erupted in Zaen's blood, chasing the fear away.
"As far as I remember we are a group." He finally growled. "And I don't remember agreeing to placing my life in the hands of a bard." He turned around to glare coldly at the hybrid.
Last edited by Zickman on Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zickman
Summoner

Postby Sir Malifact » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:41 pm

Skalvard laughed, a harsh, brutal sound, leaning back in his crude leather saddle to stare at the Sphinx through the pitted sockets of his helm. "An interesting offer. But what is to stop us from, say... killing you and carrying on our merry way?" The Norseman shrugged, before turning to look at the bard, the tatoo's inked against his bare chest writhing sibilantly beneath the corpse-white skin. "Fail this little riddle, halfbreed, and I'll end you before that Mutaskraag does." His voice was colder than the sub-zero temperatures of the frigid north, bearing with it a chilling conviction: if the bard failed this little riddle, then he would make good on his word, and rip the idiot limb from limb before dealing with the neomorphic creature. Neither of which, he was sure, would be very difficult.
Sir Malifact
Demon

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby Blue » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:51 pm

'M-Me?' Ann stuttered. Why her? Why had the beast chosen her? She looked around at the rest of the group. No one said anything. She swallowed deeply. 'We are still allowed to confere thought?' The dragon nodded slowly.
Ann turned around and tried the catch the eyes of the people around me. Trying to say without words that she was at this point freaking out ever so slightly. Trying to get someone to offer up their help, or advice, or anything that could help for that matter. But she felt time running out and the need of a reply.
She took a large gulp of air before she answered; 'Allright then. We are ready for your riddle.'
Blue
Tainted

PreviousNext

Return to Game Tavern