Tei'kaliath clan discussion and announcements.

Crowdsource: polish for the voting dropdowns

Postby Vilx- on Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:43 am

The current voting dropdowns were designed by me and as a result are pretty plain. I think that they can be made prettier by someone who has the talent. Since this is completely optional polish, I don't want to bother Kern or other official Drowtales artists - they have their hands full already with more important stuff. So I'm asking you, the Drowtales community, to help me out with some design ideas. :)

As usually, there is no reward, short of seeing your work on the PTP page. :)

Here's a short functional description of the dropdown contents:

The dropdown has only 1 mandatory part - the turn number. The rest is optional: a turn name; a turn description; a message (1 of 4: turn locked/please log in/please create character/upgrade for more power); a list of options with details (description, author, datetime) and an optional checkbox for each option; and last a textbox for entering the opton text, with either an "Insert", or "Update" and "Delete" buttons.

The scrollbar cannot be styled (OK, it can, but it's such a pain in the a**, that I don't want to do it).

Here are some screenshots illustrating most of that:

Vilx-
Summoner

Clan: Valley'gurl

Re: Crowdsource: polish for the voting dropdowns

Postby Shoedrinker on Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:59 pm

Kind of related to this subject, a couple of questions that are making rounds in my mind: is there a way to know how many votes has each of the options received so far that I am not aware of? And if not, it would be possible to do so?

Mainly to avoid situations where one main proposal concentrates all the the votes at the expense of other interesting projects or important activities ("Take the Il'haress to Sha'shi to discuss trade agreements: 75 votes", "Bring the stuff we are going to trade and the golem to research: 0 votes") or ensuring a vital step is not ignored because each person thinks that surely others will vote for it ("Protect An'jhali of the coming attack!: 0 votes", "Save the rare mana flower: 157 votes").
Shoedrinker
Summoner

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Re: Crowdsource: polish for the voting dropdowns

Postby Vilx- on Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:57 am

This question would fit better in the "PTP technicalities" topic, but OK. No, there is no way to find out and that is intentional. What we're trying to avoid is the other extreme - everybody voting for the same thing in order to avoid supporting a lost cause. It is pretty much experimental, so we'll just have to wait and see how things turn out. If we run into the problems you mention, we'll add back the vote count or something.
Vilx-
Summoner

Clan: Valley'gurl

Return to Path to power