Tei'kaliath clan discussion and announcements.

Re: Clan Resources

Postby Rulishia on Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:26 pm

kirio wrote:BTW, the word 'adamantium' is actually derived from a word meaning diamond. The stuff in Drowtales is a decendant of the stuff in D&D which itself is from Marvel Comics (thank you Fantastic Four) *rolleyes* and is somewhere between a crystal and a metal and thus not diamond. In this situation diamond tools would be an inferior substitute for ada tools. *lol*

Umm... Don't you mean "X-men"? Wolverine is the one famous for adamantium (his skeleton and claws), but there's also Captain America and his famous shield...
I think the X-men 2 movie helped to define adamantium as a metal. Being that, once hardened, it was completely unbreakable. Necessitating keeping it in a liquid form for storage.
Rulishia (formerly of the House of Mithran)
Squad Cute... wait, no... WYVERN!!! - Dini Nidinas, Nar'kaller, Yasha, Ys'sa (the Originals)
ImageMy little Ceru! ^.^ Image Serene! Image Leon!
Rulishia
Demon

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby kirio on Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:44 pm

Rulishia wrote:
kirio wrote:BTW, the word 'adamantium' is actually derived from a word meaning diamond. The stuff in Drowtales is a decendant of the stuff in D&D which itself is from Marvel Comics (thank you Fantastic Four) *rolleyes* and is somewhere between a crystal and a metal and thus not diamond. In this situation diamond tools would be an inferior substitute for ada tools. *lol*

Umm... Don't you mean "X-men"? Wolverine is the one famous for adamantium (his skeleton and claws), but there's also Captain America and his famous shield...
I think the X-men 2 movie helped to define adamantium as a metal. Being that, once hardened, it was completely unbreakable. Necessitating keeping it in a liquid form for storage.

No, I'm talking Fantastic Four back in the 1960's. I think it was first introduced in a story about Dr. Doom back when Jack Kirby and Stan Lee were still doing it. Adamantium was around LONG before the character Wolverine made his first appearance in the Incredible Hulk in 1978 (thank you John Bern). It definitely predates the creation of D&D in 1975 by around 10 years. Captain America's shield started out as a one time 'unique' material and that one wasn't defined as a substance until Stan Lee took over around 1960. If you want to go back to the original then your talking the early 1940's for issue 1 of Captain America. *lol*
Mana allows us to feel our connection to the world through the elements. Become one with that which thou wouldst change and the magic becomes effortless.
Cloudless Mind
kirio
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Thaluka2 on Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:59 pm

The DT universe has fantasy metals like adamatium in it? :x Didn't know that. Is there mithril too?
Ziakas Tei'Kaliath - Scout of Ther'avere
Thaluka2
Vel'akar

Postby kirio on Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:02 pm

Thaluka2 wrote:The DT universe has fantasy metals like adamatium in it? :x Didn't know that. Is there mithril too?

No mithril, ada is short for adamantium, although I think Kern only uses the shortened form of the word in Drowtales. It's a holdover from when Drowtales was an illustrated AD&D adventure.
Mana allows us to feel our connection to the world through the elements. Become one with that which thou wouldst change and the magic becomes effortless.
Cloudless Mind
kirio
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Thaluka2 on Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:03 pm

So drow currency is made out of adamantium?
Thaluka2
Vel'akar

Postby kirio on Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:07 pm

Thaluka2 wrote:So drow currency is made out of adamantium?

Yep, that's why we were discussing using ada coins to make gem cutting tools at one point. XD
Cloudless Mind
kirio
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Thaluka2 on Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:10 pm

Oh god.

*calls in retcon airstrike*
Thaluka2
Vel'akar

Postby kirio on Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:13 pm

Thaluka2 wrote:Oh god.

*lol* That was before we discovered a bar of ada in the tomb. The tools were made from that instead. :P
Cloudless Mind
kirio
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Rulishia on Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:22 pm

Thaluka2 wrote:Oh god.

*activates Phalanx CIWS* HEY!! No air strikes in my Thread! Unless I call them... >.>
Squad Cute... wait, no... WYVERN!!! - Dini Nidinas, Nar'kaller, Yasha, Ys'sa (the Originals)
Rulishia
Demon

Postby Kiro Kiemi on Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:12 am

WE GOT A DIAMOND! WE LOST GOOD BRAIN CELLS FOR THAT ROCK! YOU HAD BETTER LIST IT!

Yaaaay diamond. :D First shiny thing to come out from the mine~ *excited*
Renn'lir Joural Tei'kaliath: Miner, Enemy of ceak, continuously on "Odd-duty"
Kiro Kiemi
Summoner

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Postby Rulishia on Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:22 am

Kiro Kiemi wrote:WE GOT A DIAMOND! WE LOST GOOD BRAIN CELLS FOR THAT ROCK! YOU HAD BETTER LIST IT!

Yaaaay diamond. :D First shiny thing to come out from the mine~ *excited*

Calm down Ceak Boy!
I'm not sure you miners even had those brain cells before you got gassed...
Rulishia
Demon

Postby Idunyken on Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:34 am

Way I see it, our clan isn't fully aware of what kinds of gems are worth what in the Chelian market. Might be able get what we have valued by the chubby merchant or by taking them to a Jeweller in chel.
PtP - Iduken'di the hoodie-wearing brickie!
"Badai lost his arm intentionally, to give the rest of the world half a chance"
Idunyken
Vel'akar

Location: In a log cabin with beers cooling in the snow outside...livin' the dream!

Postby Rulishia on Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:43 am

Apparently you do not see the FOCUS of the problem here.

We have a PILE of (12) Gemstones that are UNDEFINED.
A Diamond is simply another gemstone. If we are defining this gemstone, then why are we not defining the others?
I do not care as to what their end run value or use is.
I want to know:
WHY is this getting defined?
WHY is it special?
WHAT are these other gemstones (there might be a diamond among them).

The only other thing that I can of as a use for a diamond is as a Demon Prison. In the Symphony of Ages book series Diamonds were revealed as powerful prisons for Demons. The larger the diamond, the more powerful the demon it could contain or the larger the amount of smaller demons it could imprison. But this is not that book series, and that diamond is hardly large enough for anything beyond decorating a wedding band, once refined and cut.
Rulishia
Demon

Postby Idunyken on Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:55 am

How am I missing the focus of the problem? You want a definition of those gems and of the diamond's potential uses right? So I suggested how that info could be obtained...Kern ain't gonna tell us OOC anymore so we've gotta find out ingame.
PtP - Iduken'di the hoodie-wearing brickie!
"Badai lost his arm intentionally, to give the rest of the world half a chance"
Idunyken
Vel'akar

Location: In a log cabin with beers cooling in the snow outside...livin' the dream!

Postby Rulishia on Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:06 am

Yes. The answer I got, A LONG TIME AGO, stated that the types of gems did not matter since Drow do not regard them as a valuable resource (so I could not get a monetary value) and that Drow use gemstones primarily as powerstones (because they hold mana) and as jewelry (cause they look nice).

I provide the entire list of possible gemstones that I provided earlier when I requested them to be defined MONTHS ago. I included diamonds, amber, etc. and received the answer that I just gave you.

So now, the mystery is: Why after months of ignoring my requests to define the gemstones (and other items), is this one tiny rock getting called out?
Rulishia
Demon

PreviousNext

Return to Path to power