The heart of Ther'avare! Join in the conversations and make yourself known amongst your clan, and participate in its life, culture, and art!

Ar'Lein's Department of Engineering

Postby Meska369 on Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:04 am

This is the new Engineering thread and I, Ar'lein, am it's first Postmistress and Head Gonzo.

Here, we think, create, argue, arm-wrestle, throw darts, drink WAY too much Caffeine and generally hash out new/old ideas for new/old problems.

There are no rules other then no name calling and possibly every other days a new person has to bring the doughnuts.

OK, Kids.... What shall we create today?

Current Projects in the cue (No real order of importance):

Mining Masks
Crossbows
Sanitation
New water pump for harvesters
Mining Elevator

Will update this list as things are made and items needed/desired are requested.
Last edited by Meska369 on Tue May 12, 2009 5:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Meska369
Dragon of the Nether

Location: When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. - Mark Twain
Clan: Tei'kaliath

Re: Department of Engineering

Postby Meska369 on Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:09 am

The terraced tank water system is actually the first idea I had with a series of holding tanks atop the structures and gutters taking water places.

First thing to do will be to have a sit down with the other ranked and hammer out what they want and offer assistance. We can figure out anything, no matter how hard here.

I plan to have several projects in the fire unless a single thing needs to be done ASAP. Having solutions and projects completed at regular intervals and differing time frames will help keep us busy and not bored as we do them.

Any ideas? Other then the usual plotting to take over the underdark ones. ALL ideas lead to that eventuality... *winks*

Falling rocks are good defense and weapon research IS going to be a venue we shall be going down, love Ballistas, even if that venue is simply theoretical.
Meska369
Dragon of the Nether

Location: When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. - Mark Twain

Postby kirio on Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:38 am

Let's see if that mysterious ore Katralya found is suitable for a golem power stone.
kirio
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Hetros on Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:33 am

I'll still work at the forge, but I hope you don't mind my input any way :P

ideas for contemplation:
1) getting the water pump working again.
2) immobile defensive structures along edge of cliff/at choke-point by the river.
3) clockwork golems (AKA: Automatons)
4) automated or at least mechanically assisted transport for suppliers (Conveyor belts may not hold enough, what about trollies or mine-carts?)
5) Getting that be-damned gate open somehow.
6) Mechanical/mana powered devices to make fortress in general more efficient.

edit: seconding Kiro's idea. oh... and here's the doughnuts *puts a box of Mesh's doughnuts on the slab of rock being used for a table*
Hetros
Dragon of the Nether

Postby kuma on Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:25 am

Any chance on a destillation apparatus :3
in the further
Alaun'ae wants to make alcohol from mushrooms...
and mushroom beer *beer*
kuma
Tainted

Postby kirio on Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:01 am

I think you're getting a bit ahead of yourself there. We need to cultivate the mushrooms first. Then brew the beer. Then you'll need a still to make spirits.
kirio
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Frost Indri on Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:38 pm

*cough* Your waterworks are a huge undertaking. You KNOW we don't have the means to do it right now, so why don't you see about getting what we do have working? And don't forget that if you want a sufficient amount of working ceramic pipes you're going to need to get two things made-- an extruder and a better kiln. I've not had opportunity for the latter yet, so right now all we've got is the impermanent solution of me making tubes and firing them with our current process.

BTW... A screw made from ceramic would be exceedingly difficult and time consuming. Not impossible, but I would consider it a last choice. I'd probably have to carve it out while at leather-hard like I was carving stone.
Frost Indri
Dragon of the Nether

Postby kirio on Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:59 pm

If we can get approval from Katralya, we could use the material from the tents to build the screws.

If the mysterious ore can be made into a mana stone, we could test the original pump and see if it's salvageable. If it can be made to work our next step would be to check the original system for leaks.
kirio
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Hetros on Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:00 pm

Frost Indri wrote:*cough* Your waterworks are a huge undertaking. You KNOW we don't have the means to do it right now, so why don't you see about getting what we do have working? And don't forget that if you want a sufficient amount of working ceramic pipes you're going to need to get two things made-- an extruder and a better kiln. I've not had opportunity for the latter yet, so right now all we've got is the impermanent solution of me making tubes and firing them with our current process.

BTW... A screw made from ceramic would be exceedingly difficult and time consuming. Not impossible, but I would consider it a last choice. I'd probably have to carve it out while at leather-hard like I was carving stone.

erm... I really do agree with this, let's try fixing the current one... if the stone is good for a golem power stone, it may reactivate the golem in the current machine.
Hetros
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Tohya on Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:59 pm

This was the plan that won so we should at least explore its construction. Though for the amount of work that would be needed to build the screw system, it would be far easier to just hang a bucket from a rope over a hole in the ground. But that isn't much fun, unless you used a golem powered winch to raise and lower the bucket. Power stone on the left to lower, on the right to raise. :p

Meska369 wrote:The terraced tank water system is actually the first idea I had with a series of holding tanks atop the structures and gutters taking water places.

First thing to do will be to have a sit down with the other ranked and hammer out what they want and offer assistance. We can figure out anything, no matter how hard here.

I plan to have several projects in the fire unless a single thing needs to be done ASAP. Having solutions and projects completed at regular intervals and differing time frames will help keep us busy and not bored as we do them.

Any ideas? Other then the usual plotting to take over the underdark ones. ALL ideas lead to that eventuality... *winks*

Falling rocks are good defense and weapon research IS going to be a venue we shall be going down, love Ballistas, even if that venue is simply theoretical.

While open water systems may look nice, they have the disadvantage of things can fall into them. And then possibly grow or die depending on what it was.

Since Kern prefers that you only take one action each turn, attempting to juggle several projects at once probably won't work to well. Though if one project is stalled for some reason we could certainly work on another one while waiting for the roadblock to resolve itself.

The original pump should be inspected first, and repaired if needed/possible. The next step after that would be looking for a suitable power stone. Followed by tracing and repairing the plumbing.
Tohya
Vel'akar

Postby kirio on Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:53 pm

Tohya,
When you inspected the original pump, wasn't the only thing obviously wrong with it that the power stone was missing?
It's possible that the mysterious ore that Katralya found is a raw material for mana stones. Maybe our first project should be to test that material for that possibility.

Some other general comments:
The screw pump can work without fully closed pipes. High sided gutters shaped like a 'U' can get the job done as well and are much easier to manufacture.
We can test the pipe system before we get the pump going very easily. Just carry some water up to the fountain and dump it in. If the pipes are still in good repair, the water will flow down to the pump.

Meska,
We should probably start by testing the existing system first. And, Tohya is right about ranked member actions. This is also true in the Leader Archive but is more strict in the Events Archive for ranked members. Only One Action At A Time may be entered in the Ranked members' vote box. You can build up the activities over several weeks (Katralya is forced to) to the maximum number of things you and we, your assistants, can manage. :)
kirio
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Tohya on Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:04 am

Was only able to do a surface inspection of the pump. If there is any debris in the pump, which is likely, you would run a high risk of damaging the pump by starting it.

I agree that the mysterious ore has a high possibility of being suitable for power stone use. But we should check the pump for the above reasons first. Only if the pump appears to be in working condition and we don't see any large holes in the plumbing would we need a power stone right away. If we have to make repairs the power stone can wait until we are ready for it.
Tohya
Vel'akar

Postby kirio on Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:37 am

Well the first order of the day would be to dismantle the pump and clean it. Once the pump components are removed, we could do the test of the pipe system I suggested above. :)
kirio
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Frost Indri on Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:50 am

You know, I think there's something that everyone lost site of in the voting. The plans were for a long term solution. The short term solution is already in place- an already functioning pump minus the power stone. Just add batteries.

I appreciate your interest in doing this project, Toyah, but as a potter who's not even got a decent kiln yet just let me say, you really need to get the basics done before you can get to a real project like this. Trust me, if you try for it now, you're going to waste turns. Still, I look forward to see What Ar'lien chooses to do. :)

Of course, if you're just planning for the sake of being prepared for when you can get it done in the future, by all means go at it. :) Its a fun project.

I just wish I had other people to discuss my kiln needs with. *sniff* ;)
Frost Indri
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Tohya on Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:07 am

Even as a long term solution the screw isn't very efficient. And due to the work amount of work involved to construct it, we should start making plans for it now.

If I was to try making it, I would use flat sheets of clay. Cut a circle out of it, put a hole in the middle for the shaft. Slit it and lift one end to make a spiral and wrap that with clay. Repeat until you get the length you want. The trick will be in getting everything to stick together.

And if we need to fire a large amount of clay, you'll probably end up getting a new kiln.
Tohya
Vel'akar

Next

Return to Community Centre