The heart of Ther'avare! Join in the conversations and make yourself known amongst your clan, and participate in its life, culture, and art!

Re: LA Day 44: Alliance for now; & its an attractive wall

Postby Finish on Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:06 am

I would try to built any kind of wall until we are 100 % sure not to stepping on the toes of any of the great Clans. That one of them would causing troubles if we block of the Tiktikki area is very unlikely, however, before we start to work and waste a day we should be sure that our assumptions are right.

So until then we should just have some guard posts. We could place them before the pillar but our guards would be very lonesome there and if some people making troubles they have to hold on until back-up arrives. Especially since the pillar blocks our view, so the scouts would have to send a emergency flare first. Therefore it would better to place a post behind the pillar within sight of Ther'Avar. That way the scouts are also the frist who spot possible introuders and can tell the warriors what they have to expect.

Also I thought about the wish of the Nal'Sarkoth to send a messenger to use. Perhaps because the traders mentioned us and they hear about our battle. But maybe there's another intention, too. We know that the seafood decrase because of an unknow reason and thanks to our scouts we learned that there's a underwater passage to a cavern probably owned by the Nal'Sarkoth. Maybe they spotted our scouts and discovered there secret backdoor entrance or they knew already about it and that's the reason they want to speak with us. Or it has something to do with or new food shortage, perhaps they are affected, too.
Well what I try to say is that we shouldn't expect that they only want to talk with us about a possible alliance. :)
Finish
Merc on vacation

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Postby Nasfors on Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:10 pm

That might actually work.. what if we build a road, and then "damage" the rest of the cavern entrance? (potholes and palm-sized sharp rocks) It won't be noticeable enough for Chel to care, but would funnel traffic to where we can watch it more easily.
Nasfors
Vel'akar

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby thatguyvex on Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:15 pm

Constructing an actual roadway through the cavern could probably be done without provoking anyone, as its not obstructing passage but helping traffic along...just along a more controlled route that we can set up our checkpoint/watchtower/mini-wall/whatever on or near so we can have some direct control over who's coming into the cavern.

I'll be interested to see what the Nal'sarkoth have to say, as at this point it really could be anything from a simple formal 'hello neighbor' to any number of significantly more complex matters. We won't know until this ambassador shows up.

Hmm, looks like we've kicked out the vast majority if not all of our loiters, which is good. Shows that even in great numbers it shouldn't be hard to clear out such groups if we want to. Question is, have we come to any conclusion as to whether or not we intend to also try and tap into this potentially useful but also potentially pain-in-the-butt labor resource? It was stated by Kern we'd need to be specific on what kind of skills we were looking for, and I'm wondering if just 'manual laborer/craftsmen' is specific enough; because that seems to be what we mostly need.

Oh, and just restated in case it was missed; still need to decide on what to do with our prisoner trio. Put them to work, send them home, dress them in drag and make them dance with hula-hoops, something. ^^;
There is a fine line between awesome and ridiculous. Badai uses that line to floss his teeth.

Kazdrin's Random Link: Bizzare. Amusing. Ruby Quest.
thatguyvex
Vel'akar

Postby Nasfors on Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:53 pm

As I understand it, the ranked will simply employ them when they have the need. The rest of us don't need to worry about it too much.
Nasfors
Vel'akar

Re: Event Archive Day 45

Postby Miburo on Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:14 pm

Anyone who wants to have a say in the matter of the prisoners please report to the slavequarters
Miburo
Vel'akar

Clan: Vloz'ress

Postby Picanet on Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:16 pm

*nudge*

From the shoutbox:

We have an ambassador coming, it would be nice to have a formal reception area for such tasks since we may be frequented with them. Possible decorations to be pulled from the tomb? Two items were mentioned on day 23 when the tomb inventory was taken.

Sidenote/idea:

Since we don't want to appear 'threatening' with our watch tower and cannot build a wall, why not construct a road to and past Ther'avare? This would make it easier for merchants to pass our way. We already know that the Nal'Sarkoth use one of the exits in the cave - if we make it more accessible I can imagine they would be more likely to come. People like to follow roads - so it also might help with traffic control.

Just a thought.
- Somebody that you used to know
Picanet
Vel'akar

Postby Idunyken on Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:25 pm

Reception area - I like it. Would be a good way to find out what the items are and put them to use.

Road - Do you think a road should be built first and a watch post/tower placed afterwards?

A bit of input from a warrior standpoint would allow us to move the discussion about the cavern entrance forward to an actual design
PtP - Iduken'di the hoodie-wearing brickie!
"Badai lost his arm intentionally, to give the rest of the world half a chance"
Idunyken
Vel'akar

Location: In a log cabin with beers cooling in the snow outside...livin' the dream!

Re: Leader Archive Day 45: Anjhali meets with Rhinn'elos

Postby Picanet on Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:20 am

At the moment, we've been putting patrols out in the 'general' entrance area. A non - threatening survey tower would be a good stop point to be able to send them. It would also provide a place to explain to people what we're doing "building a road wot wot!" at the same time - if there's nothing but a tower there - they may wonder what the heck we're guarding.

There's pros and cons to both - I'm not seeing any sever repercussions if we decided to go one way or the other. I'd lean more towards the road - that way we're 'inviting' and 'connecting' before we're placing boundaries.
Picanet
Vel'akar

Postby Thorn on Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:29 am

Would a road be useful? I mean...its a pretty flat surface as it is, and nothing getsi n the way, it would all be just fluff, wont it?
Thorn
Demon

Postby Kir'ima on Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:33 am

It's probably not all flat, and more importantly, it would be a marked path (with the implication: "Stay on the path"). If nothing else, it should make us look better, and help us to manage traffic into and out of our cavern. I would say start building the road, then add a checkpoint/reception guardhouse, and then finish building the road.

But before that I think sprucing Ther up for the Nal ambassador, and helping the Slave Master with her slave quarters (if requested) probably have priority.
waiting patiently for my next chance at Sayatt
everyone stay clear of my blast radius
Kir'ima
the scout

Postby Picanet on Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:41 am

It's not all flat; a road could provided a clear and stable path for travelers/merchants/messengers to reach Ther'avare. Roads are ways to connect in comparison to walls which create a buffer. Travel should be easier. I do agree with Kir'ima though that sprucing up Ther'avare a bit before the Nal ambassador comes and the slave quarters should take priority.
Picanet
Vel'akar

Postby Durlyn Val'Sarghress on Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:33 am

I definately don't trust Rhinn'elos after learning that the cavern she had us fight HER enemies for turns out to be full of toxic gas or some other substance. She's the only one benefitting from our alliance so far it would seem, hope we can make effective gas masks. I think I heard it being said that her clan had been spreading the news we were allies with her, right? I think we really need to stay on good terms with the Nal'sarkoths because otherwise we may find making alliances with other clans difficult if the Svarts are REALLY unpopular.

I agree that a room should be cleaned, decorated, and prepared for the ambassador meeting, either the conference room or the throne room. I believe someone also suggested we should do a general clean up of Ther'aver to make a good impression as well. Should we offer the ambassador entertainment or perhaps a feast (not sure if we have enough of anything that be good enough to satisfy the appetite of a Val though...). A tir'ay tournament or exhibition match might be enjoyable for the ambassador to watch, plus our unique fighting style may convince them that we might make good mercs for hire (seeing as that the Nal army is basically all mercs).

hhhmmmm...But if we do open up trade with the Nals, what on earth could we give them besides our services as soldiers? If the gas masks work and we find that our mine has something valuable inside perhaps we could trade them some of whatever we dig up?

P.S. I'm guessing we're too poor to afford sending even a kid to the Orthobae, right? Pity, since our golem technicians could probably learn alot there, plus we could improve our mana abilities to help in defense of our turf (sooner or later we're gonna have to face people with sorcerers on their side).
Durlyn Val'Sarghress
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Sarghress

Postby Picanet on Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:42 am

We're not entertaining a Val, we're accepting an ambassador. We don't have to show off anything, but we should try to have a customary meeting area for these kinds of guests. The ruins are slowly being pulled together - but we don't have to put on a show. We don't have the same funds or resources to have wine and a bowl full of apples for them to 'nick' while waiting to speak with Anj - if we make them wait at all.
Picanet
Vel'akar

Postby Cayen on Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:48 am

right now we have 100 ada to our clan and a mine. We can mine the main areas of the mine till we get a gas mask that will allow us into the deeper reaches. I think even that limited access can give us sellable material. I think though we should start training half our slave force to work down in the mines. It's brutal work and it'll start taking a toll on our miners if we're not careful.

We can offer weapons, though we aren't sure how our quality of weapons matches to other clans at the moment. We can offer services, repairing things, building things. Eventually we'll be able to get more into the slave trade.
You can always rage quit....
Cayen
Vel'akar

Postby Picanet on Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:49 am

We don't even have enough weapons and armor for our own warriors Cayen...... ^^;
Picanet
Vel'akar

PreviousNext

Return to Community Centre