The heart of Ther'avare! Join in the conversations and make yourself known amongst your clan, and participate in its life, culture, and art!

Re: Event Archive: Day 42 - Back Home

Postby thatguyvex on Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:47 pm

Bamawing wrote:I'm not sure how the scouting squads work... could we investigate more than one area at a time? I really would like to know who our neighbors are.

Thus far as much as I'm aware we Scouts can only focus on one target at a time in terms on information gathering, so if we are to do some investigating we'd have to pick and choose what our focus would be to start off with. As it stands from what I read in the Scout thread earlier our plans didn't involve any investigation over the next few turns. But I don't think anything is set in stone on what we're doing yet.
There is a fine line between awesome and ridiculous. Badai uses that line to floss his teeth.

Kazdrin's Random Link: Bizzare. Amusing. Ruby Quest.
thatguyvex
Vel'akar

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby Frost Indri on Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:53 pm

Just adding my two scents to the conversation that I'm not really able to keep up with at this time-- I think its guaranteed that the Svarts are going to try to screw us in the future. That's just how things work. However, that being said, I think we should be open to screwing them as well-- just so long as we gain more than we loose by doing so. >:}
Ka'hab, the potter.
Frost Indri
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Picanet on Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:59 pm

Warriors are welcomed home
Clan takes a small, well deserved break
New couples shown and baby-talk (fine - but YOU carry it)
Chel strays make their way to Ther'avare "Give me money," "take care of me," kill my landlord."

Before we're swarmed, I'd be tempted to set up a booth or a count, get the names of the people coming and what they bring with them, be that things to sell/stores/labour/grunt work/knowledge. Do we set standards as to who can join? Do we shut them all out? Do we take advantage of the resource that may be available to us, but is going to take some careful planning to be helpful at all?

I can see resources being an issue in the food department, but if we give the first fifty or so to the harvesters to plant and tend mushrooms and such all day... is that even an option?
- Somebody that you used to know
Picanet
Vel'akar

Postby Siv'Wilroz on Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:07 pm

Frost Indri wrote:Just adding my two scents to the conversation that I'm not really able to keep up with at this time-- I think its guaranteed that the Svarts are going to try to screw us in the future. That's just how things work. However, that being said, I think we should be open to screwing them as well-- just so long as we gain more than we loose by doing so. >:}

They already did, they made us attacked and killed innocent people who were just tring to defend themselves. :S

Lets just not doing it again ok guys? ^^;
Siv'Wilroz
Demon

Postby Finish on Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:22 pm

Support, the support of the supporters... ;) ^^; It's nice to see a page where our brave warriors, scouts and nurses can relax from the battle.

Nice we don't have to collect the food any longer, the food move to us... just kidding :D Mhh I guess some of them could be useful. Of course, we should make sure that we don't take everyone.
And we have to watch them carefuly. Maybe some of them are troublemakers who could start fights, steahl things or worser. But if they can give us something we can give them something, too.
And people who just want money, protection our death landlords for nothing should get a fist in the face. ;)

Oh and I'm trying to bring up the mate issue again. We all agree that our Illharess need a heir - no matter if it's her own child our adpoted. But I just want to make a "careful" attemept to talk
with her about her exceptiosn on a mate - in a way she hopefuly don't think the worst of the male Drow population in the whole underworld. If you think this is a good idea and the other options don't
need your vote to get through, it would be nice if you support me. :)
Finish
Merc on vacation

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Postby Dice Warwick on Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:38 pm

so now the next problem is dealing with a flood of freeloaders, AI say we beat them out with a stick, but we don't have sticks, and Shana's hands are busy with Rulishia's shoulders. }:3

A more interesting Idea would be to put them to work in exchange for shelter and or food. but that might be harder then it sounds. but for the most part I think we should filter them out, get rid of the riffraff first.
Relic Hunter Dal'Len, Leader of the Squad Crossroads.
Dice Warwick
Morrock Oracle

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby thatguyvex on Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:39 pm

Hmm, wasn't expecting people to start showing up on our doorstep right on the heels of our warriors coming back from the battle. Word travels very fast in Chel it seems.

Well, I'm more than willing to see what we can do to help these folks out but we should take this slow. As Picanet said we ought to get a count of them, gauge their skills, figure out if they are willing to work for us in exchange for the shelter and food they want. I'd be less cautious if our own food situation wasn't in question; but I'm not sure how we're standing on keeping our Clan fed via the river resources at this point.

It may be possible that if we decide to take some vassals on that the work those vassals do for us can provide enough additional production (either in ore, crafts, whatever) to allow us to consider bringing in the food we'd need from merchants in Chel. Perhaps the Nal'sarkoth could be approached about such an arrangement?
There is a fine line between awesome and ridiculous. Badai uses that line to floss his teeth.

thatguyvex
Vel'akar

Postby Picanet on Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:57 pm

On that note vex, what if we picked a set number of people to allow within the city walls? A test group of sorts. to try for a week or so to see if we can support the influx of people. First group to be harvester minions to see what kind of food intake we can bring in and see if we can support the sudden growth in population - by using them to do so.

Course, we're going to have to guard our resources at this point to keep any loiters outside the gate from using our river at their whim. It would be easier if we knew the number of people that had come to Ther'avare...
Picanet
Vel'akar

Postby thatguyvex on Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:19 pm

That's one of the reasons I put up the vote option to gauge the refugees first. I'd like to know their numbers, their skills, and get an idea of their disposition. A test group is a good idea, to see how we can handle the addition. I'm also wondering what our housing situation is in Ther'avare. How much space is our Clan actually taking up in the town and how much, if any, spare space is available? We're still working on getting Ther'avare into shape as a proper town. These folk might be able to help with that by acting as additional labor, or might hinder that if they're not reliable.

thatguyvex
Vel'akar

Postby Thaluka2 on Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:21 pm

These people are all still alive, they have their own ways of geting food. So we don't have to feed them. If some do need food then we just turn them away, because we don't have enough. Also we cannot pay them in ada. But if they just need a place to live that doesn't charge them so much in rent, but otherwise have some income and way of obtaining food, we can let them live in the ruins and under the protection of our standing army. This would be especially true for merchants. They can rent space in the ruins, have protection, do business there, and pay taxes to our clan. Homeless people and other riff raff we don't need, even if they're willing to work. Our food sources are kind of fixed at the moment. But if we start getting ada coming in from useful tenants, we can turn around and use the ada to pay some of these people to work in the mine, as harvesters, crafters ect.

Let's sort through them to see if we can find useful people.

Edit: A lot of the options people are throwing up are similiar. I guess I like the "guage" option best. With an eye towards only letting in the productive ones (if any) as suggested by the other option currently up.
Ziakas Tei'Kaliath - Scout of Ther'avere
Thaluka2
Vel'akar

Postby Picanet on Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:29 pm

There is still a large area of housing that has not been fixed up yet. It was too big a task for the builders to take on by themselves - but if we tell these people that if they fix a place up and set up shop, they can use that area - it may take them a while, but it would be much faster than diverting builder resources to something as simple as fixing up a house.
All of this still, hinges on what kind of people are coming and what they are willing to do, and how we are actually able to provide for them and them for us.

I agree that it would be well worth our while to gauge who wants in - and to control who does go in or out. As long as the proper controls and limitations are set, surely we can do more than just send them away. It probably wouldn't hurt for An'jhali to have some input (aka - get a hint) as to what kinds of people would be beneficial to let into the city. We might worm out a warning or two if we're headed in the wrong direction at the same time.
Picanet
Vel'akar

Postby Novusod on Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:38 pm

Picanet wrote:I'd be tempted to set up a booth or a count, get the names of the people coming and what they bring with them, be that things to sell/stores/labour/grunt work/knowledge. Do we set standards as to who can join? Do we shut them all out? Do we take advantage of the resource that may be available to us, but is going to take some careful planning to be helpful at all?

This so called booth you are describing should fall under the Office of the Emissary. A clan representative to meet with the outsiders on an everyday basis. I don't see how any of this can be micro managed through the Leader archive nor do I think any of the current ranks could run a customs booth long term. Swarms of outsiders with minor issues will be coming and going everyday now. Every time the topic of the Emissary comes up no one votes for it and now it maybe too late /sigh
"A pessimists looks at the wind and complains. An optimist looks at the wind and believes the wind will change. A leader looks at the wind and trims the sails."
Novusod
Demon

Postby PenDragon on Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:29 am

So now we've become the last resort for the scabs who can't make it in the city? ^^;

I suppose we might be able to find a use for them, but I'm extremely leery of having them around. We have enough problems to deal with and are facing a shortage of food, so unless these people are willing to work for their food and shelter then I say we should turn them away.

One thing is for sure, don't let them inside Ther'avare. We can't keep an eye on all of them and we don't know if they can be trusted or not, so if we set up a living area for them we should pitch tents outside the walls.

Frost Indri wrote:Just adding my two scents to the conversation that I'm not really able to keep up with at this time-- I think its guaranteed that the Svarts are going to try to screw us in the future. That's just how things work. However, that being said, I think we should be open to screwing them as well-- just so long as we gain more than we loose by doing so. >:}

This is exactly what I was thinking the whole time as well, but alot of people really seem to disagree. XD
If something seems too good to be true, you're supposed to shoot it just in case.
- Fiona Glenanne, "Burn Notice"

FYI: No, I have not made 16 million forum posts; that number is the result of a glitch. Don't ask.
PenDragon
Shard of the Old God

Re: L. Archive: Day 42 - Resting, Relaxing, Fun, .. & scavengers

Postby Catriana on Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:59 am

Holy crap where'd all these folks come from so fast?! Go away, we're trying to relax! XD

On a serious note:

"Give me money."

We ain't got it.

"Take care of me."

No. We're struggling to take care of our own.

"Kill my landlord."

We're not Mercs damnit!

If we want to NOT become a merc clan or continue to be taken advantage of, we need to turn these guys away. AWAY. If we start feeling sorry for these folks we're going to put ourselves in a bad situation. We cannot help these people. We cannot take care of them. We don't have the resources or money to do so. We were hired killers once because we needed to do so to survive (ie: keep the mine). These opportunists can go find another door to knock on.
“The most I can do for my friend is simply be his friend." -Henry David Thoreau
Catriana
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Idunyken on Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:08 am

PenDragon wrote:

This is exactly what I was thinking the whole time as well, but alot of people really seem to disagree. XD

...could've fooled me the way you were talking last week... :|

Definatly don't appease the beggers but I'm all for picking out the useful ones and seeing how that goes. No free handouts, put them to work. If this goes well we could have our own little town to tax *wee*
PtP - Iduken'di the hoodie-wearing brickie!
"Badai lost his arm intentionally, to give the rest of the world half a chance"
Idunyken
Vel'akar

Location: In a log cabin with beers cooling in the snow outside...livin' the dream!

PreviousNext

Return to Community Centre