The heart of Ther'avare! Join in the conversations and make yourself known amongst your clan, and participate in its life, culture, and art!

Postby Madea on Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:14 am

AuroraDragonKaya wrote:Hmm... not sure how well that'd take to Drow society, for several reasons.

Here's a big one- the male and female making one unit is something that comes from a very human, mainly heterosexual mind. Thus, Male and Female are linked together as two parts that are attracted, form a whole, etc.

Whereas the drow are primarily bisexual. So, why not Female female, or male male?

Being an aspect of unity, because she united those escaping to the underworld, makes sense... though I think her primary aspects are protection and anti-demon-ness.

However, right now, we should be discussing options for what's next.

Don't you think the drow would have male/female being one unit solely because that's how babies are made? I heard a theory once that humans are mostly bisexual ourselves - that is to say, capable of having erotic feelings for the same gender - and it is cultural programming which forces those who would otherwise be indifferent into a purely heterosexual bend.

I think Indri's idea is quite funny, but in general, most of these ideas feel very restrictive in the sense of beliefs and whatnot.

Likely, what we heard is that Sharess detached her aura - a feat unheard of - and entered the nether realms to seal the gates from the other side. This would make her an ascendant deity; having arisen from mortal origins, rather than a prophet or deific incarnation. She was real and mortal, just like the rest of us, and she transcended.

However we choose to represent that later, as an ethereal being watching over, having purchased the time needed to flee to safety, is open to vast interpretation. I'm sure, even within our small city, there are several different ideas on how to think of Sharess, without really getting to gung-ho into it.

As for discussion as to what's next, there are now threads for the council. Cheers!
Madea
Pineapple Warmaster

Location: In EVA above Green Ball, surrounded by Space Kitties!
Clan: Sharen

Postby Q on Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:34 am

Frost Indri wrote:How about the belief that a threesome is necessary for a biologically sucessful "coupling." That is, for there to be a child there needs to be two mommies and a daddy, or two daddies and a mommy.

for some reason I like this idea :)

but it would be two girl and one guy....

Because drow females are more important, they would have the majority !

Of course !!!

*cough*
Q
Demon

Postby Lady Tenkage on Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:43 am

*whacks Q* Men! Hmph! Personally, I'm not all that partial to the idea. Nothing against threesomes, but it just doesn't feel right. I should think that, it would not matter who the parent were, be they both female, both male, or whatever, but I think that, when thinking of producing a child, the party looking to be a parent would formally ask the member of the opposite gender, and being asked would be considered a great honor, as you would be the embodiment of what the asker was looking for in the traits they'd like to have in their child. Threesomes would occur when the asker had a mate, and the mate would participate in the act, so there would thus be three parents, instead of just two... Is any of this making sense?
Lady Tenkage
Demon

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby AuroraDragonKaya on Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:57 am

Mmm... I don't think the threesome thing makes much sense either. :P I was talking about sexuality, not making babies, and I think pretty much everyone knows that takes a guy and a girl. >;P

Anything from threesomes to orgies.... well, in Chel they aren't a big deal, and I rather like how.... open it is. I, for one, wouldn't want our clan to become Kyorl's 2, so... I'd like to steer away from rigidness.

Madea- you're right about transension. :3 Sharess is more of a Drow Buddha. :D
AuroraDragonKaya
Demon

Clan: Illhar'dro

Postby Q on Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:01 am

Makes a lot of sense...

Personally what I thought in all seriousness this time. Is only one parent, and then a helper.

Drow being individualistic, I see more a mating occure, and no marriage or no sense of an actual couple that lasts... They might mate, but they are not a couple.
So in the case of a baby being born... One is chosen as a parent ( usually, the women choses if she wants to keep the child for herself or not ) and this one is considered the real parent. And of course, he or she might have help in raising the kid. But he'll never really have a mommy and a daddy, since the second parent would be more absent than anything else.
Of course there is always exceptions where both parents are in love, stay as a couple, or neither of them wants to leave the kid, and they both keep watch, but that would be the exception, not the rule...
Since Drow live in a dangerous environment, I think that even if there is a couple, it would be seen as normal ( by society at least, maybe not individuals ) to get a mate outside of the couple to make a strong kid.
( I can think of woman looking for a strong male for her, or even strange situations like a woman asking her older sister to mate with the male she's presently in couple with, for the sake of raising a strong child in the case where she look up to her sister )
Q
Demon

Postby Meska369 on Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:49 am

Dang it, I should have said "like Buddha" before.

I purposly did not because I didn't wanna be thought to be drawing too much from "human" crap.

Unions of a family unit are made howver it feels best to do so. There have been so many types, numbers involved, how and wherefores that have come before us. I just like the openng of the idea of family to discussion... But having said that, we should take this off this thread and into a new one.
Meska369
Dragon of the Nether

Location: When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. - Mark Twain

Postby Frost Indri on Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:13 pm

AuroraDragonKaya wrote:Mmm... I don't think the threesome thing makes much sense either. :P I was talking about sexuality, not making babies, and I think pretty much everyone knows that takes a guy and a girl. >;P

Anything from threesomes to orgies.... well, in Chel they aren't a big deal, and I rather like how.... open it is. I, for one, wouldn't want our clan to become Kyorl's 2, so... I'd like to steer away from rigidness.

Madea- you're right about transension. :3 Sharess is more of a Drow Buddha. :D

Actually, it makes a lot of sense. Follow:

1. Drow do not have an easy time of having children. They don't need a contrareceptive, they won't get pregnant for years at a time.

2. The woman is the focal point of getting pregnant.

3. Orgasm does help pregnacy occure, and the amount which this helps can be mythologised. In Elizabethian England, there was the belief that a female orgasm was NECESSARY for pregnacy to occure.

3.a. While there is magical healing of the body, and there are plenty of body parts flying around and being cut open in battle, there is not an organized study and observation, aka a scientific method, being applied. People see bits and pieces but the whole isn't studied, except by a clan we've never heard of.

4. Anyhow, so the idea is that the more a woman has pleasure at the time of her receptivity, the more likely she will get pregnant. With two men as partners, there is probably some turn taking so that the father isn't predetermined (idealy).

4.a. Between two women and a man, the women are exploiting the full nature of their sexuality and one woman is focused on at a time. Sometimes only one woman is reproductivly receptive at a time in these trios, and that woman is focused on.

Anyhow, this would be a specific TRYING TO GET PREGGERS sort of belief. Not a nuclear family so much, though all three are considered parents and probably (though not always) have some hand in raising the child. Esp. with two guys actual genitic heratige wouldn't be determinable, so lines progress down the womb mothers's side.

It wouldn't be a limiting factor between merely two drow having sex, or more than three, since it's only for having a family which is much more... ah, fluid in Drow culture than it is ours. Certainly if a threesome is good for babies, an all out oragy would be as well. (Brings a whole new meaning to the term Baby shower!)

-------------
As for Sharess =Budda thing:

Maybe Sharess is depicted in a much much more abstract way then? Like as a collection of etherial lines or vine-scroll decorations? Sometimes the body is more represented, but most of the time there are just lines and swirls...
Frost Indri
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Madea on Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:09 pm

Frost Indri wrote:3.a. While there is magical healing of the body, and there are plenty of body parts flying around and being cut open in battle, there is not an organized study and observation, aka a scientific method, being applied. People see bits and pieces but the whole isn't studied, except by a clan we've never heard of.

Actually, the Jaal'darya are focused on bio-sorcery, but there's actually likely to have been a great deal of study of bodies; just because the average drow doesn't possess much knowledge, empaths, blood sorcerers and bone sorcerers would likely have complied a great deal of knowledge on the matter... not to mention the occasion cook or crackpot. :3

Frost Indri wrote:As for Sharess =Budda thing:

Maybe Sharess is depicted in a much much more abstract way then? Like as a collection of etherial lines or vine-scroll decorations? Sometimes the body is more represented, but most of the time there are just lines and swirls...

That was my original comment, I believe, is that our representations of Sharess would be far more abstract, as we were far removed from her as a person, and heard about her ascendancy from others.
Madea
Pineapple Warmaster

Postby Nerev on Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:47 pm

Servants of the false God-Empress will fall before the Dark Gods of Chaos!
Nerev
Summoner

Location: If only my gi was oranger I could grow a monkey tail.
Clan: Vloz'ress

Postby Madea on Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:53 pm

Nerev wrote:Servants of the false God-Empress will fall before the Dark Gods of Chaos!

Back to the worldsetting, you! >:3
Madea
Pineapple Warmaster

Postby Lady Tenkage on Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:33 pm

*whacks Nerev again* Enough Warhammer!

I've been thinking, and I think I've gotta speech comin' in the Council RP thread, weird since Ys'sa's not exactly articulate. But I'll address my thoughts there.
Lady Tenkage
Demon

Postby Madea on Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:10 pm

You know, I just had a thought today about how, in keeping with the idea of an abstract deity bells would have a religious significance to us. Not big booming bells, really, because in the underworld that would suck... but things like Ves'xile's earrings. Small chimes to remind us of the goddess' presence.

Just wanted to throw that one out there before it got lost in the deluge.
Madea
Pineapple Warmaster

Postby Meska369 on Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:34 pm

Yes, that is a good point. Not an overt religion, subtle and family based instead.

The earings are a great representation.

I was thinking about certain tatoos of significance that would indicate dedication rituals but would also mean our cities' cultural emphasise. Like the moons that adorn so many of the Drow Tales clothing. would have multiple meanings.

Ways we do our hair, like our potter's. Styles of dress.... well whenever we get styles of dress.
Meska369
Dragon of the Nether

Location: When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. - Mark Twain

Postby AuroraDragonKaya on Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:19 am

I like the little symbolisms... :3

However.... family centered? This is STILL drowtales.....

However, I again say perhaps this needs its own thread to be discussed.
AuroraDragonKaya
Demon

Clan: Illhar'dro

Postby kirio on Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:01 am

I'm really happy to see the religion idea being discussed, but I think it really needs it's own thread.

Meska,
This is originally your idea. We've been PMing back and forth about this for awhile, but I don't know how much you feel is ready to be put up as a proposal on a separate thread. I saved everything if you don't have it. I can put up a summary if you want.
kirio
Dark Chibi Demon

PreviousNext

Return to Community Centre