The heart of Ther'avare! Join in the conversations and make yourself known amongst your clan, and participate in its life, culture, and art!

Re: Leader Archive, Day 34 Late

Postby Idunyken on Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:26 pm

New update...give me a few hours and i'll stop laughing and have something useful to say XD
PtP - Iduken'di the hoodie-wearing brickie!
"Badai lost his arm intentionally, to give the rest of the world half a chance"
Idunyken
Vel'akar

Location: In a log cabin with beers cooling in the snow outside...livin' the dream!
Clan: Tei'kaliath

Re: Leader Archive, Day 34 Late

Postby Lordpanther14 on Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:02 am

To see what's attracting the Kirisu, you could try and have one of the scouts track one.

Also I really like the rpg of taking out the kirisu. Level up ftw *wee*
LordPanther, Lord of the Roster
Former Leader of the Relic Hunter Squad, the Fen Wolves: Bro'toh
Owner of Tab'irre and Xy'tin
Lordpanther14
Vel'akar

Re: Event Archive Day 35

Postby Idunyken on Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:30 am

Best thing about that update was your new band tbh LP14 XD way to enter PtP in style!
Idunyken
Vel'akar

Location: In a log cabin with beers cooling in the snow outside...livin' the dream!

Postby kirio on Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:26 am

My guess would be that what is attracting the kiri'su is the smell of the dead one.

XD
GO HETROS!! Is that the smelting ladle you've got there? hahahahaha

:D
Oru, Level up!!!

*beer* *boogie*
Hooray for salted fish!!

Map
It looks like the Svartelos are nearly underneath the Beldrobbaen fortress. Old map link
It also looks like we have a housing development right outside our front door so to speak.

With all of those drow living between us and the Svartelos, it makes me wonder how influential they are in that housing area to have been able to maintain any sort of claim to the mine. I'd like to know what other minor clans and independent houses are in that area.
Mana allows us to feel our connection to the world through the elements. Become one with that which thou wouldst change and the magic becomes effortless.
Cloudless Mind
kirio
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Meska369 on Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:05 am

Maybe the bugs are the babies of the big one?

"I would love to lay pipe... but I have no pipe to lay" - Meska369
Meska369
Dragon of the Nether

Location: When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. - Mark Twain

Postby tanarill on Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:08 am

Okay, questions:

1. The Chel map confuses me. Do we have a full Chel map to which we can compare it?

2. On the wall, how thick is it going to be? Because I hate to say it, but walls less than twenty feet thick aren't really worth building in a defensive sense. Historically, they're more towards thirty or even forty feet thick. (See Jericho, standard Roman walls, castles, Chinese city walls, etc.) Wall building really only fell out of style with the advent of cannon, so no problems there, but if we plan to build defenses, let's build something useful. (Note: A "wall" is not solid stone all the way through. It's packed earth and rubble, between two stone/brick "guide" walls. We have lots of rubble and earth, especially if we plan to demolish building and then rebuild with a better plan.)

3. Are we going to follow one of the kir'isu to see what's drawing it? My guess is to eat the foul meat as well.

4. Are we switching off groups of fighters so they can all get experience from killing them? I mean, as long as they keep coming back, why not get some practice in, no?

5. Is the small kir'isu meat foul and inedible, or is it something that happens as they get older? We know they have acid, which I think we should weaponize or, if it is strong enough, use as an etchant.

6. We're planning on using the chitin first to make scout armor, which makes sense. It occurred to me that, if they really are like beetles and such, they molt occasionally. So there should be old shells in the area as well. Even if they are not useful for armor, the old shells would make good fertilizer or dye-binding agents for those dyes we found earlier. Without nasty meat scraping.

7. Also, I read a few pages back on the crafter thread that we might make glass. I think this is a good idea, but have to ask how many dyes do we have? Dye does strange things when heated that hot. On the other hand, simple glass blowing, for making bowls and stuff, will give us a wide range of possible trade goods. Glass was, for a long time, a luxury good because of how hard it was to make, so in the drow world it would even be a somewhat valuable trade good. On the other hand, in addition to sand, we need soda ash (obtained from burning seaweed or algae), lime (obtained from burning limestone, which we can hope is in the area) and magnesium (which should be dissolved in the water around here, being an underground mineral-rich river); we'd also probably want lead to make the glass clearer and sparkly; and finally, a glass "melt" takes temperatures of 1500C. So it would definitely take some work, if the crafters want to tackle that.

That's all for right now.
tanarill
Summoner

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Postby kirio on Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:52 am

tanarill wrote:Okay, questions:

1. The Chel map confuses me. Do we have a full Chel map to which we can compare it?

I put a link to a full map of Chel in my previous post. It makes it a little easier to figure out where everything is on our map.
Mana allows us to feel our connection to the world through the elements. Become one with that which thou wouldst change and the magic becomes effortless.
Cloudless Mind
kirio
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Hetros on Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:13 pm

I have no idea what my char is playing, XD but it's awesome.
Earth,fire,wind,and water all come together in perfect balance inside of a Smith's forge, this perfect harmony of elements can rarely be found anywhere else in existence.
~Hetros' Mentor
Hetros
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Idunyken on Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:45 pm

tanarill wrote:Okay, questions:
<<<WALL OF TEXT (sorry post got too long!)>>>

Hooo boy *deep breath*

1. See Kirio post

2. The walls are currently being built with the idea to deter small-time attackers from raiding our home rather than fight off a big clan army with seige weapons. To build a wall of 20 feet thick or more isn't necessary imo. If we take another look at the cavern lockdown walls that were discussed several pages back in this thread, those kind of thicknesses would be justified.

3. Following one might be an idea, might find we can't if they go through tight spaces tho...OOOOH! Brainwave! We should train tracker tiktikki! :3

4. The exp thing is a joke drawing on the final fantasy series...Oru hasn't really gained +1 agility XD still, could be good target practice once them bowmen are given the ammunition they need (it's that or shoot tiktikki and feel reeally reallly guilty :[ )

5. Kirisu blood clay grenades are under consideration by the crafters

6. Mabye, tho in the underworld it the molted shell might be quickly eaten by hungry critters

7. I've seen the lime requirement at least mentioned already, Frost Indri is a potter irl and seems to know a lot about the crafts his character does!
Idunyken
Vel'akar

Postby tanarill on Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:22 pm

2. Ah, in that case thinner walls make sense.

3. Well, I meant through the ruins, not to see how they are getting in. I'm just curious where the are going.

4. No, I know, I play those games all the time. (Tales of the Abyss! Tales of the Abyss!) But just having the groups train against an enemy, however weak, has to help with their teamwork. So rotating different groups in and out makes a kind of sense?

6. Oh, this is true. Chitin does have plenty of carbs if your physiology can digest them out, and they would.

Now I wonder if kir'isu are trainable if you get them young enough. And what we would have to do to get one young enough >.>
tanarill
Summoner

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Postby Frost Indri on Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:10 pm

tanarill wrote:
7. Also, I read a few pages back on the crafter thread that we might make glass. I think this is a good idea, but have to ask how many dyes do we have? Dye does strange things when heated that hot. On the other hand, simple glass blowing, for making bowls and stuff, will give us a wide range of possible trade goods. Glass was, for a long time, a luxury good because of how hard it was to make, so in the drow world it would even be a somewhat valuable trade good. On the other hand, in addition to sand, we need soda ash (obtained from burning seaweed or algae), lime (obtained from burning limestone, which we can hope is in the area) and magnesium (which should be dissolved in the water around here, being an underground mineral-rich river); we'd also probably want lead to make the glass clearer and sparkly; and finally, a glass "melt" takes temperatures of 1500C. So it would definitely take some work, if the crafters want to tackle that.

Actually, if you use the right fluxes you can get glass to melt at a lower temperature. You can melt soda bottles in a camp fire (just please do it slowly or the glass will explode from heating up unevenly). Ash (a great flux and when you get it to ∆10 a great glaze in and of itself) is available through collaboration with the healers. We burn all the used bandages. Yeay! We potters just use wood ash normally, though seeweed ash does have some signifigant differences (that we LOVE!) I'm wary as hell on using lead, mostly because I don't understand the process that allows people to make "crystal" ware and claim it safe. That's just leaded glass, and all my glaze experience says don't use lead at all. Acids as mild as a tomato or wine will cause the lead to seep into the food and then you have hurt your customers. If you can explain the process to me (preferably in the crafter thread) I would LOVE to hear it. (And then maybe feel more comfortable when faced with crystal glasses.)

As it is, temperature and these details doesn't really matter that much. I mean, it takes an extra day of game time to fire, but when it comes down to it the GM just doesn't care that much, so everything gets smoothed over. It annoyed me a bit in the summer, but now I'm in my winter blah and see it as a remarkable tool to abuse. :) I'm sure the gm is glad to not be educated so much as well. :/

Still, I want to make a glory hole and get some glass blowing up and running. It'll let us make some useful tools...
Ka'hab, the potter.
Frost Indri
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Novusod on Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:30 pm

On the subject of walls it seems the drow here are bit better at stone working than IRL Medieval humans. Going by some of the artwork of Chel architecture they have some moderately tall skyscrapers of 30 to 50 floors high. This leads me to believe drow stone work is more equivalent to modern reinforced concrete. In that case a 3 foot thick wall of modern reinfoced concrete design would be just as effective as a 30 thick medieval style city wall.

Anyway I think we should accept the deal with Svartelos by meeting with Illhar Rhinn'elos. It is a one time battle that may never happen sometime in the future. No fighting for now and if it does come we have a good deal of time to build up our army to be able to fight it.
"A pessimists looks at the wind and complains. An optimist looks at the wind and believes the wind will change. A leader looks at the wind and trims the sails."
Novusod
Demon

Re: Leader Archive Day 35

Postby Meska369 on Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:14 am

*waves at everyone while wearing part of her fruit jam she just made*

Wow, I had forgotten how much fun it is to can stuff. I suggest you try it. Great skill to learn for keeping food good and GREAT as Christmas/Hanukkah/Kwanzaa/Solstice/whatever the heck you celebrate gift. Food is the BEST gift if you made it yourself and it doesn't kill people. I stay safe and stick with Fruit, Pickle and cookie mixes.

*dives back into wrapping and mailing out her gifts*

Sorry, had to share.

"I would love to lay pipe... but I have no pipe to lay" - Meska369
Meska369
Dragon of the Nether

Location: When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. - Mark Twain

Re: Event Archive Day 36

Postby kirio on Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:30 pm

Update!!
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
I love that thought balloon! Ar'lien! Steam punk Queen!! *wee*
That walker rules!
Cloudless Mind
kirio
Dark Chibi Demon

Re: Event Archive Day 36

Postby Lt Anders on Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:35 pm

I'm happy my miners are bossing them warriors around. Fel'lor looks just pleased working under my SiC!
Loyalty is not bought, but earned.-Me
Vae Victus-Woe to the vanquished.
Best. Song. Ever.
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q267 ... s/Maiq.png
Tei'Kaliath: M'aiq(My-eek), Mine Manager
Lt Anders
Vel'akar

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

PreviousNext

Return to Community Centre