The heart of Ther'avare! Join in the conversations and make yourself known amongst your clan, and participate in its life, culture, and art!

Re: EA Day 31, Mid-Day: Situation at the mine

Postby Finish on Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:21 pm

Trap them in the mine doesn't sounds bad but (Yeah I know there's always a but) let us assume the bring more miners with them and hire people/guards from Chel then it would be even harder to get them out.

Indeed we could let the ceiling collapse or use the dead Kiri'su but they could escape throughout the tunnel to the Sarghress or the underwater pool. And then they will be pretty pissed. If we could look the escape routes it might work, but otherwise we'll fail with that plan.

Furthermoore they will probably place some guards around so that we must act careful to caught them by surprise.

And if Mr. Rose isn't at the mine if we take her back, we only got save a bit time before he comes back.

However we should keep that plan in mind, perhaps that's a good solution to get ride of those guys without losing lives. However if we took to much time it might be to late for us to get back the mine without even more loses.
Finish
Merc on vacation

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Postby Novusod on Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:33 pm

A new update posted and looks like they might want to negotiate but the question is are we ready to negotiate. I think it is in our best interest to to do some form of negotiation here since he claims to have the backing of the Svartelos clan and a contract with the Dra'yral clan to use the mine.

The offer is to buy the contract for 900 Ada. Problem is we don't have that much. My proposal is that we should offer to give them the Ada we have now along with some of the gold and tell them to come back later when we have the money to buy the mine out right.
"A pessimists looks at the wind and complains. An optimist looks at the wind and believes the wind will change. A leader looks at the wind and trims the sails."
Novusod
Demon

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby Jeriah on Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:43 pm

((~3% of the asking price as a down payment is pretty low. So low that we might as well not bother as it would betray exactly what sort of financial status we're in.

The Dra'jyal Clan papers is just a receipt that they bought golems from them. Not necessarily a pact of any sort to use the mine. Such receipts could be used as evidence that they're the previous owners of the mine assuming the details match accordingly.))
- Ank'iseth Samarrikh
Jeriah
Vel'akar

Postby horusre on Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:45 pm

((Could sell them Raeth-Zar... I think there are some people that wouldn't miss my presence here. ;) And no, I'm not just saying that to be glib, although that is part of my reasoning. But honestly, what is a good slave worth? And would that be a worthwhile offer of payment in lieu of ada? Could probably get a few hundred knocked off for Raeth and a few others of that nature.

Or, perhaps, they are willing to take payments (probably at an interest rate so disgusting that it will take forever to get out from under the umbrella of that debt) after a down of the ada that is in our possession?

Sometimes a ruling body has to make unsavory deals to prosper and improve. I advocate a peaceful resolution to this matter.))
Bellum omnium contra omnes. Ceterum censeo Carthaginem delendam esse. Inter arma enim silent leges. Sic semper tyrannis. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Nuff said?
horusre
Summoner

Clan: Sharen

Postby Novusod on Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:02 pm

Our wealth is in our people not our coins. The Tei'kaliath are a hard working and resourceful people. We have turned the ruins into a fort practically overnight and made a dilapidated mine useful again. Temporary usage rights are more important than out right ownership. We are not buying the mine for 3% of its value, we are buying time to use the mine until we can purchase the mine at 100% of its price.
"A pessimists looks at the wind and complains. An optimist looks at the wind and believes the wind will change. A leader looks at the wind and trims the sails."
Novusod
Demon

Postby dukeant on Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:33 pm

Not sure if anyone else has had thought of this yet but to me it really sound slike their trying to take advantage of our situation. Up until we came in and took over the mine they had just left it deserted, with only the two golems left their to open the gate. Event heir mine workers had escaped. It looks as if they found the mine either to far away to work effectively or to costly to keep operating. But now that someone else has taken an interest in it they see an oppurunity to make some ada and have jumped in to do so, even going so far as to bring all these documents to show that they at one time possesed the mine.

Still I would like to see this end peacefully so I hope we can think off a practical solution.
Actually, would it be possible to rent the mine?
dukeant
Summoner

Postby Tohya on Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:43 pm

An interesting turn of events.

If you take what he has said at face value, he is from a small to moderate sized clan. Chances are they would have the man power to kick us out, but they may be locked in power struggle with one of their neighbors. Which could be a reason for them abandoning the mine, it was not worth the risks to continue to operate it.

And if they are indeed locked on a power struggle, which would be typical for Chel, that other group could be our introduction to the local politics. This is of course just idle speculation on my part, we won't know what they are really up to for a couple of updates.

The poor/derelict condition of the golems would suggest that they do not have an abundance of Ada either, and may be hoping for a wind fall. In any case, the mine golems were in such a poor state when we encounter them that their price should be deeply discounted should they be attempting to include them in the price of the mine.

We'll have to reject the 900 Ada offer, but further negotiations are still a possibility. We'll have to see what other agreements or pacts would be acceptable to them.
Last edited by Tohya on Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tohya
Vel'akar

Postby Finish on Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:46 pm

I'm glad that they are willing to talk. :) However, we should keep in mind that they may not told us everything. The biggest question is: why they are offered to sell the mine? They wouldn't do that if the mine has a use for them or if there would be a greater advantage in keeping them. If have a few theories about that:

a) They have no resources to continue working on the mine - that means the Clan is in trouble and they need money now.
b) The price is far highter than anybody in Chel would ever pay for it. Yeah they are landlords so they might know a bit about how to fleece foreign people who don't know the values of things in Chel.
c) The mine is worthless for them. Yes there are ore inside but perhaps the costs topping the use (at least for them - they are a Clan we are nobodys who could need that stuff)
d) The Sarghress know about the back entrance so they want to get ride of it so that they don't have the trouble with them. Alternatively some other larger group could cause trouble if they keep the mine.

However, it's time for negotiations. :)

Edit: They said the bought the golems for the Draj'yal Clan.
Well there's no Dra'jyal Clan in the Wiki but there's Dra'jyal Kal'Yantra of the Kal'Yantra Clan: The schoolfellow of Ariel from a minor Clan which makes golems. Perhaps Draj'yal is Kal'Yantra or there's a connection between them. However this could be just an fortuity.
Finish
Merc on vacation

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Postby Siv'Wilroz on Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:03 pm

Whatever happen, I have a bad feeling about this.. :0
Siv'Wilroz
Demon

Postby Jeriah on Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:07 pm

((Call me misanthropic, but just the fact that he's willing to negotiate so easily makes me suspicious.

Even if we had the 900 ada lying around, I wouldn't recommend parting with it. Are we going to hand out 900 ada to every group of people with some papers that we come across? Like I had Ank'iseth imply in the shoutbox, my first suspicion is that they're conmen (But perhaps it's just more amusing to think of them that way to me). If we take Frau'drem's testimony to be true, there are no official papers. No seals nor hard copy evidence that can really authenticate ownership.

He has some documentation (assuming it's not counterfeit) that may state the Svartelos once owned the mine, but how do we know it hasn't been sold to someone else already? Meaning we can pay him, but then we'll have the same encounter later, but with a different group. We'll feel rather red in the face then. Even if they're legit, there's nothing binding them to any contract nor pact other than their word. So if we agree to pay 900 ada, they can easily take the money and turn around to retake the mine later.

Also, I find 900 ada suspiciously cheap. If they truly know what's in the mine, (because it was allegedly once theirs) it's hard to believe they'd be willing to relinquish ownership for so 'little'. As they say, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

If the Clan wants to make a deal with them regardless in order to avoid conflict, I would recommend a 10% cut of what we produce. If they're conmen, losing 10% over a short period of time isn't a huge loss to us and if they're legit, then 10% over a long term would be to their overall benefit.))
- Ank'iseth Samarrikh
Jeriah
Vel'akar

Postby Catriana on Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:38 pm

I'm curious as to why he has another half of his group sneaking around while trying to 'strike' a deal.

And furthermore, how do we even know his clan exists? How do we know he even works for an Ill'haress? I might be wrong but do we know anything about all the houses in Chel?

Some guys show up all of a sudden claiming they have papers for golems that were abondoned and in bad shape (they don't even run) and we're supposed to give them 900 ada to appease them? I'm not saying we should resort to violence, but I have a feeling he's blowing smoke up our arse. The guy is from Chel, I have a feeling that they're just trying to make us do the work and reap the benefits of it. It's interesting how they have papers for golems but none for the mine.

I say we don't trust them. They're being sneaky, shady, and obviously slippery about their claims. I don't think our clan would win out if we paid them (even if we did have the ada, which we don't) and while battle doesn't look favorable because of this supposed clan, being cowardly to Chel folks really isn't going to make us any friends. If anything, they could go back and create more 'rumors' about how we're the clan to push around.
“The most I can do for my friend is simply be his friend." -Henry David Thoreau
Catriana
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Lt Anders on Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:43 pm

smash them into pieces. They are far to suspicious for me.
Loyalty is not bought, but earned.-Me
Vae Victus-Woe to the vanquished.
Best. Song. Ever.
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q267 ... s/Maiq.png
Tei'Kaliath: M'aiq(My-eek), Mine Manager
Lt Anders
Vel'akar

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby Nagimalice on Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:04 am

I'm suspicious of their claim as well, I would suggest the we have a meeting with their Illhar first as well, this will give us to points.

One, We can tell if they are really owners of the mine. perhaps informing them that we not use the mine until the meeting. ((however ther will be the whole watching use watching them until their illhar joins possibly.)) But then as well they could simply higher more guards to try and take it.

Then again we could find that they are con men and at the possibility of real clan negations they attack...

Two, it gives us time to figure out if we would need to buy the mine then what we can use to sell to get enough ada as well.

There is an interesting dynamic here. Because we are so isolated from the nearby clans we are in the dark as to who is nearby or what their strengths are. Perhaps it more than time to go meet the neighbors. Perhaps a few trade goods and a few numbers. After all the relic hunters and traders made it over to us, so there bay be some path or road the can travel to the nearest village settlement?
I don't wanna work.. I wanna sit around and bang on the forge all day."
Nagimalice
Vel'akar

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Re: LA Day 31 Mid-Day: $900 Ada to buy ownership of mine

Postby Merlune on Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:24 am

I am hoping that is will work out, somehow. We could give them some of the golems, that should bring the price down to a lower level, we just want the mine. Also those golems were so bad shape that they are now better then as rose man left them. And another thing how much is the ada bar worth? That might be enough to pay for the mine and then some.

But there is something funny going on, however it feels like we are going in circle trying to guess what it is.
Merlune
Summoner

Re: LA Day 31 Mid-Day: $900 Ada to buy ownership of mine

Postby Lt Anders on Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:29 am

Why guess, and not go out on a limb. Say "No" flat out. Who cares for negotiations, they gave us their offer, we give em ours.
Loyalty is not bought, but earned.-Me
Vae Victus-Woe to the vanquished.
Best. Song. Ever.
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q267 ... s/Maiq.png
Tei'Kaliath: M'aiq(My-eek), Mine Manager
Lt Anders
Vel'akar

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

PreviousNext

Return to Community Centre