The heart of Ther'avare! Join in the conversations and make yourself known amongst your clan, and participate in its life, culture, and art!

Re: Event Archive - Day 30

Postby Frost Indri on Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:55 pm

Yeay! The ruins are named Ther'Avare. :) I'm really happy with that because it was more than one person coming up with the name. (Though, that I helped with it didn't hurt either. ;p )

And the motivation was funny. However, I could see that being her only tactic as being a problem in the future. :/ So it was a good illustrations of both the pros and cons of her current training. A really funny display. Rar.

I'm holding off on my training offer to her for at least a week since the slings we're going to be making this week are likely going to be needed. I feel a bit bad though because I want to offer her some options, and its likely going to be a while before we get the opportunity again. :/
Ka'hab, the potter.
Frost Indri
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby Tohya on Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:14 pm

78 voters, a fairly good turn out.

I liked Ther'Avare as well. ^^

Heh. People should know by now, not to criticize Anjhali's posture and leadership. She has attacked everyone that tried it. :p
Tohya
Vel'akar

Postby Jeriah on Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:40 pm

((Given that most of her training is aggressive and related to the physical realm, it comes to little surprise. How she interacted with the slaves in the LA is a good litmus paper test about where she stands. Her verbal communicative skills are subpar and when they fail, she resorts to communicating non-verbally. All in all, she's a pretty good student. It's just the teachers that could use some readjusting. Heh.))
- Ank'iseth Samarrikh
Jeriah
Vel'akar

Postby FSEffect on Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:46 pm

Jeriah wrote:((Given that most of her training is aggressive and related to the physical realm, it comes to little surprise. How she interacted with the slaves in the LA is a good litmus paper test about where she stands. Her verbal communicative skills are subpar and when they fail, she resorts to communicating non-verbally. All in all, she's a pretty good student. It's just the teachers that could use some readjusting. Heh.))

They're slaves? I think there's supposed to be some degree of aggression towards them, particularly since the ones in question attacked us.

EDIT: If that was a litmus test, that would be a litmus paper rather than a comprehensive pH test.
"People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people"

Clan's designated marksman
Kerr Nigit

Kerr's sister and relic hunter
Kay Nigit
FSEffect
Vel'akar

Postby Jeriah on Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:51 pm

FSEffect wrote:They're slaves? I think there's supposed to be some degree of aggression towards them, particularly since the ones in question attacked us.

((I think you may have missed the point, FSEffect. I'm not complaining that she was unduly aggressive. I'm citing the fact that her non-verbal training is bearing its fruit. Her verbal communicative skills were not sufficient to convince them to obey her orders, despite being 'broken'. She had to make up for her shortcoming with something else that we've been teaching her.))
- Ank'iseth Samarrikh
Jeriah
Vel'akar

Postby FSEffect on Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:57 pm

Jeriah wrote:((I think you may have missed the point, FSEffect. I'm not complaining that she was unduly aggressive. I'm citing the fact that her non-verbal training is bearing its fruit. Her verbal communicative skills were not sufficient to convince them to obey her orders, despite being 'broken'. She had to make up for her shortcoming with something else that we've been teaching her.))

Can you still be sure that this is indicitive of her ability, when this is a chibi portion? More likely those 3 panels were for shits and giggles, and clearly isn't a true indicator.
If Kern wanted her portrayed as inept in the verbal communications department he wouldn't have it chibified.
"People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people"

Clan's designated marksman
Kerr Nigit

Kerr's sister and relic hunter
Kay Nigit
FSEffect
Vel'akar

Re: Leader Archive: Day 30 - Ther'Avare, overseer chibis

Postby Frost Indri on Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:14 pm

*shrugs* Its funny, but that doesn't mean that the information given is just silly and not pertinent.

Anyhow, no need to get all riled up about it. Those of us who feel she should broaden her horizons will put it before the can in the proper voting place. :) If you disagree don't vote for it, and the clan shall speak. :)
Ka'hab, the potter.
Frost Indri
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Madea on Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:00 am

I think the term "verbal communication skills" is a pretty broad, misleading label. Her ability to get a point across isn't lacking, nor is her ability to lead us (because we're willing). It's confidence and command presence that she's not doing so well with and the environment was the issue.

Note that she wasn't feeling very in control in the task, so her initial result was lackluster until she was goaded into forgetting about her insecurity. She resorted to violence, which worked for the time being but was an inelegant solution (not to mention indicating she needs to pick up on the discipline part of her tir'ay lessons, not just the "learning to kick peoples asses" part). The problem with that resolution is that she will have to continuously escalate in the use of force unless she learns other techniques in exerting her will. She's done this in the past, when she's had to, without being asked and has done well.

I chalk it up to leadership inexperience and, if you're going to try and improve it, focus on that instead of public speaking; she's made plenty of rousing speeches before and we're more than willing to go where she wants us to.

I'd suggest Khan'zhalika entering an option to teach the Ill'haress the more subtle methods of control (Be confident. Never show weakness. Never threaten emptily. etc, etc, etc; standard psychological stuff) and let that be a training session. It needs to be specific; the last option was an open and unguided invitation not a focused session with a stated goal.
Madea
Pineapple Warmaster

Location: In EVA above Green Ball, surrounded by Space Kitties!
Clan: Sharen

Postby Robert_Frazer on Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:13 am

focus on that instead of public speaking; she's made plenty of rousing speeches before and we're more than willing to go where she wants us to.

Not everyone she addresses is going to be loyal, willing and receptive, though - as her lack of impression on the indolent slaves this week shows, she is less able to manage a hostile audience. She's gentle and persuasive with Ros'ij - but not everyone she speaks to privately is necessarily going to be meek or a friend.

This week's indicative of how An'jhali has less ability to remain authoritative in adversity (the incident with the slaves is a minor event, but better see it now than when there's an army at the gates). That's why I feel that some formal instruction in public speaking would still serve her well.
Last edited by Robert_Frazer on Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
A clerk thought that Curzon's memorandum was balls. But he was afraid to say so directly, so he wrote faintly in the margin "Round Objects". Lord Curzon replied in a note: "Who is Mr. Round, and why does he object?"
-Sir Alan Lascelles
Robert_Frazer
Demon

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Postby Jeriah on Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:26 am

((There is more to 'verbal communication skills' than just what words are spoken.))
- Ank'iseth Samarrikh
Jeriah
Vel'akar

Postby Tohya on Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:41 am

Jeriah wrote:((There is more to 'verbal communication skills' than just what words are spoken.))

So who want to volunteer to face Anjhali's wrath by bringing up the p word. *cough*Posture

:3
Tohya
Vel'akar

Postby Writer on Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:43 am

Frost Indri wrote:Yeay! The ruins are named Ther'Avare. :) I'm really happy with that because it was more than one person coming up with the name. (Though, that I helped with it didn't hurt either. ;p )

*high-fives Ka'hab*

Happy times! I'm glad we got Ther'Avare, too. It was close and even, though...78 votes, and each one mattered! Kudos to everyone for taking part and being so vote-happy, and to Robert for taking his loss so okay.
Due'gar Tolmen Tei'Kaliath - A busy builder.

A day at work. - "I wish...Um. Nevermind."

Thoughts are like arrows: once released, they strike their mark. Guard them well or one day you may be your own victim. - Navajo proverb.
Writer
Vel'akar

Postby PenDragon on Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:46 am

Madea wrote:I'd suggest Khan'zhalika entering an option to teach the Ill'haress the more subtle methods of control (Be confident. Never show weakness. Never threaten emptily. etc, etc, etc; standard psychological stuff) and let that be a training session. It needs to be specific; the last option was an open and unguided invitation not a focused session with a stated goal.

That's a good idea, Madea, and I'll be sure to mention it to Miburo next time we invite her to an Overseer-session. ;)

However, I hope that the other ranks try and follow our example in the future. Khan'zalika can certainly teach some very valuable lessons that go in line with the role of an Ill'haress, but that doesn't mean that other Ranks besides the Slave Master have nothing to teach as well.
If something seems too good to be true, you're supposed to shoot it just in case.
- Fiona Glenanne, "Burn Notice"

FYI: No, I have not made 16 million forum posts; that number is the result of a glitch. Don't ask.
PenDragon
Shard of the Old God

Postby Miburo on Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:54 am

Madea wrote:I'd suggest Khan'zhalika entering an option to teach the Ill'haress the more subtle methods of control (Be confident. Never show weakness. Never threaten emptily. etc, etc, etc; standard psychological stuff) and let that be a training session. It needs to be specific; the last option was an open and unguided invitation not a focused session with a stated goal.

I would say having her adapt a more confident posture but we all know how that ended last time.
I'm going to leave it at this for a few turns, public speaking or singing seem like good enough options for the next turn but I'll be sure to get back to this.
I'm actually happy to see clownface again :w
Miburo
Vel'akar

Clan: Vloz'ress

Postby hedrah on Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:29 pm

Which to fear?

The meek speaking king with the massive army?

or

That crazy mercenary bastard leading a squad of fifty, that gave a detailed description as how to skin someone with a wooden spoon?

For all military purpose "If there is something scary at the front, put something even scarier in the back."
hedrah
Summoner

Location: Ja'niike The Harverster of Food! (what? Expected Sorrow?)

PreviousNext

Return to Community Centre