The heart of Ther'avare! Join in the conversations and make yourself known amongst your clan, and participate in its life, culture, and art!

Re: Event Archive, Day 22

Postby Thalar on Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:04 pm

Jeriah wrote:((I believe I'm fairly careful about when and when I don't use the OOC indication of double parentheses. I don't think I've unintentionally missed them. Double parentheses for OOC chat and none of IC chat. I don't know if there's a real convention for them, but that's how I do it.))

The Roleplay subsection is the only place where IC is expected. While some might find it interesting to argue IC in the various ranked threads, the whole Path to Power forum except for the Roleplay subsection, is OOC. There is no need for double parenthesis, or any other signifier that you're not in character.
That is not dead which may eternal lie, and with aeons even death may die.

Tar'shay Nimaraidh Tei'kaliath, on a boat, throwing things on the ground
Elif Nimaraidh Tei'kaliath, Colony Administrator, Tei'kaliath Prime Healer and Phantom Summoner
Thalar
Melon Berserker

Clan: Jaal'darya

Postby Thalar on Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:16 pm

Ihaveninjas wrote:Now that I think about it, could the ruins be the old Nal'Sarkoth fortress?

It is doubtful, as the ruins are very old and there were suspicions that they weren't even built by drow. (I belive that was said in one of the event archive pages) It could be an old dwarven ruin. like the Sarghress fort, only much more decayed/vandalized.

Novusod wrote:We have nothing to offer the merchants except for varying degrees of inconvenience.

51 units of baked algae and 24 units of seafood say otherwise.

We know that people in Chel'el'Sussoloth are malnourished, so I think it's fair for us to assume that they are in need of food. We produce more food than the clan can consume at the moment. While that in itself doesn't necessarily provide the basis for a long-term trade agreement, it should certainly be enough for a one-time deal at the very least.

Of course we shouldn't trade everything away, but the seafood can only be stored so long before going bad, and food -is- a tradeable resource, the only resource we have at the moment which can be said to be "plentiful".

Elif Nimaraidh Tei'kaliath, Colony Administrator, Tei'kaliath Prime Healer and Phantom Summoner
Thalar
Melon Berserker

Postby Kir'ima on Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:23 pm

Thalar wrote:It is doubtful, as the ruins are very old and there were suspicions that they weren't even built by drow. (I belive that was said in one of the event archive pages) It could be an old dwarven ruin. like the Sarghress fort, only much more decayed/vandalized.

I've always wondered about this because the ruins appear to be built to drow-scale instead of dwarf-scale.
If dwarves had built the ruins, wouldn't the stairs and other features be a lot smaller?
waiting patiently for my next chance at Sayatt
everyone stay clear of my blast radius
Kir'ima
the scout

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby Thalar on Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:31 pm

Kir'ima wrote:
Thalar wrote:It is doubtful, as the ruins are very old and there were suspicions that they weren't even built by drow. (I belive that was said in one of the event archive pages) It could be an old dwarven ruin. like the Sarghress fort, only much more decayed/vandalized.

I've always wondered about this because the ruins appear to be built to drow-scale instead of dwarf-scale.
If dwarves had built the ruins, wouldn't the stairs and other features be a lot smaller?

Well, the Sarghress fortress was built by dwarves (as far as we know) and is large enough for Quain'tana to walk around comfortably. I doubt they rebuilt much of it (although I do believe they redid the throne room), however it is certainly possible they did. It hasn't really been clarified anywhere that I'm aware of.

Thalar
Melon Berserker

Postby Tohya on Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:41 pm

The dwarves would have no reason to build things any higher than needed for their own needs. So the ruins having high ceilings even for drow would mean it could of been built by slave labor, or every other floor was removed to make room.
Tohya
Vel'akar

Postby horusre on Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:12 pm

On the step issue, Dwarves most likely wouldn't build steps any differently, on the average, than a human; or by extension on the concept, a Drow or beings standing a little taller than humans. In most cases the same size of step is comfortable for both sizes of humanoid. There was a person with Dwarfism (and I wish I could remember the name of the condition, there are two I believe and the names slip my mind at the moment) at my college and I remember watching her traverse the steps of the campus. She did fine, they weren't a problem for her, no more so than walking was I'm sure. Those hips just were not designed for a stride, which is why they tend to waddle. Walking is a chore, I didn't see steps being any more so.

And it could be true that Dwarves might make scaled down steps, just as it is true that I've been inside buildings with steps that were scaled up, and a total pain to ascend. No accounting for design styles or wacky builders. But step size could be uniform between races and not have to be specifically tailored to a species stride. Well, unless comparing giants and faeries, then there will certainly be a shift in scale on the average. heh

And meta-gaming time again, hasn't it boggled your mind that in almost EVERY fantasy setting Dwarves build structures on a scale so massive that it could almost be used by giants? They create uniformly huge halls, and rooms with ceilings that vault well above a human head. The cave troll in LoTR comes to mind.

Wouldn't it make more sense, if your were a Dwarf, to make most of your structure scaled to your size? With ceilings only a few feet higher than your head. So that if you were invaded the attackers could only efficiently utilize the area specifically designed to house such beings. This is a simple defensive strategy, but that isn't how fantasy Dwarves seem to operate. Not in Tolkien, not in D&D, not in any story that is losely based on such sources, certainly not in Warcraft or WoW. heh heh In any typical fantasy situation Dwarves like GRAND scale.

So what's my point? *scritches head* Ya know, I don't think I have one. I just like pointing out that fantasy Dwarves seem to be totally dense where defensive fortifications and architecture are concerned. *wee*
Bellum omnium contra omnes. Ceterum censeo Carthaginem delendam esse. Inter arma enim silent leges. Sic semper tyrannis. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Nuff said?
horusre
Summoner

Clan: Sharen

Postby Jeriah on Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:15 pm

((Not dense, just overcompensating. Heh.))
- Ank'iseth Samarrikh
Jeriah
Vel'akar

Postby Serantis on Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:48 pm

Jeriah wrote:((Not dense, just overcompensating. Heh.))

For once i agree :)
It's all fun and games,..........Until flying monkeys ATTACK!
Serantis
Demon

Postby DarkVolt on Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:34 pm

I think building a room with a defined high of the ceiling is simply a matter of taste, recources and comfort.
Doors on the other side are only for practical use, not to mistake with gates, those are there for big masses and impress. :D
Fel'lor Tei'kaliath
DarkVolt
Summoner

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby Kir'ima on Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:12 pm

New update.
Friendly relations in the process of being established.

Oh, Thank. The. Goddesses/Moons. ^^
waiting patiently for my next chance at Sayatt
everyone stay clear of my blast radius
Kir'ima
the scout

Postby Jeriah on Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:30 pm

Heh, I wonder how much imported goods will cost? I'm a supporter of local goods myself. Although one could ask what we'll trade after we use up the ada and gold we have, the next best resource would probably whatever we can get out of the mine. Especially if we can begin extracting the gems.
- Ank'iseth Samarrikh
Jeriah
Vel'akar

Postby Thalar on Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:39 pm

Jeriah wrote:Heh, I wonder how much imported goods will cost? I'm a supporter of local goods myself. Although one could ask what we'll trade after we use up the ada and gold we have, the next best resource would probably whatever we can get out of the mine. Especially if we can begin extracting the gems.

We still have, according to the resources tab, 51 units of baked algae and 24 units of seafood.

And here I thought it was you who advocated looking at more solutions than the obvious ones and not forgetting about how food can be an important resource. Guess I was wrong.
Not like trying to trade food to a city constantly on the brink of starvation could be a good idea, heh.

Thalar
Melon Berserker

Postby Jeriah on Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:44 pm

Thalar wrote:We still have, according to the resources tab, 51 units of baked algae and 24 units of seafood.

And here I thought it was you who advocated looking at more solutions than the obvious ones and not forgetting about how food can be an important resource. Guess I was wrong.
Not like trying to trade food to a city constantly on the brink of starvation could be a good idea, heh.

((I haven't forgotten about the food, but after trying to pitch it as a resource with a good demand and others refusing to acknowledge it, I've given up on advocating it until the other NPCs say 'Wow, this is some kick arse seafood. Can we trade for it?". You can bring a horse to water, right? I'd like to remain creative, but it's lost on some people. So now I'm targetting resources people can put into a better frame of reference with RL. Metals and gems.))
- Ank'iseth Samarrikh
Jeriah
Vel'akar

Postby horusre on Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:49 pm

((With any luck we can get some items that will help production - macro game being what it is there no need to be too specific, I hope - and then kick the production and industry into a higher gear. High time our production castes started to produce without having the nagging worry of turning around immediately to renew the supply of raw materials. Shouldn't be too much longer before the Tei'kaliath has enough to offer to make a stop along the way a benefit to the trade caravans.

Deal with the ramifications from "higher powers" when/if that arises. ^^;

The Trade Speaker is a bit creepy, ain't he? heh heh Devouring Ayame with you eyes, for shame you dirty old man. ;)

And what is that the orc is offering Oru? Go on man! Eat it! Never know until ya try. ;) *chuckles*

- edit: Oh, probably the grains. Well, it's funnier to look at it as "Orc Chow" isn't it?))
Bellum omnium contra omnes. Ceterum censeo Carthaginem delendam esse. Inter arma enim silent leges. Sic semper tyrannis. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Nuff said?
horusre
Summoner

Clan: Sharen

Postby Lt Anders on Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:52 pm

That leads to something interesting. Since their males, and just home, perhaps some "home warming" for a few specialties?

Never know until you try!

Plus, since their from the lands above, that means they have rare items that might be very useful.
Loyalty is not bought, but earned.-Me
Vae Victus-Woe to the vanquished.
Best. Song. Ever.
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q267 ... s/Maiq.png
Tei'Kaliath: M'aiq(My-eek), Mine Manager
Lt Anders
Vel'akar

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

PreviousNext

Return to Community Centre