The heart of Ther'avare! Join in the conversations and make yourself known amongst your clan, and participate in its life, culture, and art!

Re: LA: Day 17 - One page a gameday

Postby Jeriah on Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:10 pm

Kir'ima wrote:*scribble scribble*

I have proof of everything.

I'm not too sure I'd put much faith in the diaries of a mad stalker.
- Ank'iseth Samarrikh
Jeriah
Vel'akar

Postby Bel'xullyn on Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:02 am

*Why not take a look beyond those huge doors ? i'm curious.. (page 31) * <- you can click the link to see what i'm talking about *heehee*
"Eh bien.. this one was from moi.. but given the situation i guess it was'nt a good idée.. i should have waited for the right people to get back.. unless we have some kind of secret tool i don't know about.. or force our way in.. :0 .. .. here i thought we could have find a place were weapons, treasures or books had been secretly locked away..

*sigh*
probably someone will ask this later at a better moment."

*The able bodied Tei'kaliath should help gather Alguae.*
"Je thought that already lots of people were already gathering them.. *ooo* do we really need more ?" *scratch her head* *upset*

*Enhance your image. Stop slouching. Adopt a confident, charismatic posture.*
"Our Ill'haress sure might not always look at her parfaite confident/charismatic posture.. *wutno* i think it shall change si given time.. (it's only 17 days .. so) she has a lot of stuff to think about and to order around...must not be easy." :c

"appoint a miner for safe and efficient use of the mine"
"Oh, so we should open a new Miner job ? Fantastique ^^ maybe we can hook some jobless people to apply for this one :D .. but i don't know what a miner can do except ... huh ...mine rocks ! :P .. is there a place to get more info on this ? i'm still curieuse.. even if i get soaked in the process" XD

-------------------------------------------------
So this is my opinion :3 i might be wrong about some of them.. so if oui, just explain them to moi *bigsmile* i'd like to talk about them 8)
Bel'xullyn
Vel'akar

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby Jeriah on Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:44 am

((Well, with the 'Enhance your image. Stop slouching' option, I don't believe she will change by herself if given time. We 'customize our leader' and 'make her grow and learn through our decisions, gaining a personality in the process.' according to the New Reader Guide. She's learned to slouch and will not change unless we 'teach' her not to. She's our leader and we recently acquired the title 'Unknown Clan', so I would like her to present herself more like a leader of a Clan, even if it's unknown; especially during diplomatic moments. If you look at our past instances, An'jhali had a slovenly posture during both instances (LA Pages 30, 31, & 43) and it doesn't help her already bold claim of being an Ill'haress. One can argue that this isn't a fair comparison, but do you see Quain'tana or Zala'ess slouching when they meet guests? Because 'proper' posture helps people take others more seriously. The proverb goes 'Don't judge a book by its cover' but we all know that people do otherwise.

If I want, I could even argue that everyone in the Clan slouches because they're imitating An'jhali. Or perhaps even the other way around. Regardless, if we don't voice the matter, she'll continue to slouch and I would prefer she not if she'll be handling the diplomatic matters from now on.))
- Ank'iseth Samarrikh
Jeriah
Vel'akar

Postby Tohya on Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:34 am

Bel'xullyn wrote:*Why not take a look beyond those huge doors ? i'm curious.. (page 31) * <- you can click the link to see what i'm talking about *heehee*
"Eh bien.. this one was from moi.. but given the situation i guess it was'nt a good idée.. i should have waited for the right people to get back.. unless we have some kind of secret tool i don't know about.. or force our way in.. :0 .. .. here i thought we could have find a place were weapons, treasures or books had been secretly locked away..

*sigh*
probably someone will ask this later at a better moment."

This is not something the unskilled clan members can accomplish on their own. Anjhila can request that the ranked members make an attempt to open it though.

*The able bodied Tei'kaliath should help gather Alguae.*
"Je thought that already lots of people were already gathering them.. *ooo* do we really need more ?" *scratch her head* *upset*

This is the one way are able to draft the faceless to help out the clan. They are limited to simple tasks such as gathering resources though. The Supply Master is using people elsewhere this turn and was only looking to hold our food supplies at their current level, this should allow us to stockpile more food instead.

*Enhance your image. Stop slouching. Adopt a confident, charismatic posture.*
"Our Ill'haress sure might not always look at her parfaite confident/charismatic posture.. *wutno* i think it shall change si given time.. (it's only 17 days .. so) she has a lot of stuff to think about and to order around...must not be easy." :c

This is a valid assertion, we are allowed to influence her development. We could even make her try on different clothes and then have a vote on which one she should wear.

"appoint a miner for safe and efficient use of the mine"
"Oh, so we should open a new Miner job ? Fantastique ^^ maybe we can hook some jobless people to apply for this one :D .. but i don't know what a miner can do except ... huh ...mine rocks ! :P .. is there a place to get more info on this ? i'm still curieuse.. even if i get soaked in the process" XD

The chances of a Miner being able to pull in new players to work for them is low, as just about everyone that is active already has a job. If the new rank goes through they will probably have to steal workers from the other ranks.
Miners dig tunnels, and generally hope to remove something valuable while digging them.
Tohya
Vel'akar

Postby Writer on Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:24 pm

Miners could also help out the architect and/or the engineer in certain projects, as Ves'xile suggested.

How-ever. Jeriah, I understand your point. And I feel that while the Ill'haress behaving and acting properly in relation to outsiders is fine and dandy, but with regards to ourselves, she shouldn't feel like she has to look rigid around us, her clan. She's not a doll or a figurehead that has to look pretty or 'right', she's our leader, one with the burdens of the clan on her shoulders. No wonder she slouches. If we really want to stop her slouching, we should cheer her, support her, and all that jazz. D'ye get what I'm trying to say?

And then there's the fact that Reza may simply be in the habit of drawing people slouching and we're reading too much into all this.
Due'gar Tolmen Tei'Kaliath - A busy builder.

A day at work. - "I wish...Um. Nevermind."

Thoughts are like arrows: once released, they strike their mark. Guard them well or one day you may be your own victim. - Navajo proverb.
Writer
Vel'akar

Postby Jeriah on Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:11 pm

There's been a trend with her posture. She's depressed, she slouches, she's annoyed, she slouches, she's addressing the slaves, she slouches, she's addressing the slavers, she slouches, she's embarassed, she slouches, she's happy, she slouches, etc. D'ye get what I'm trying to say?

Her emotional state has little to do with her posture, according to that trend. You can support and cheer her up until the moons reappear and it won't change her standard posture. Carrying oneself with a 'proper' posture isn't being that rigid. Once you learn it, it comes naturally and easily; just like slouching. (And I speak from personal experience)

((As for habit of drawing, Reza draws her with 'correct' posture as well, so it's not like it's beyond his capability. Just one more detail he'd would have to keep in mind from now on. He does such a fantastic job keeping track of details of the faceless, I doubt it'd be that much of a problem for him to add one to the main character.))
- Ank'iseth Samarrikh
Jeriah
Vel'akar

Postby Writer on Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:03 am

Jeriah wrote:There's been a trend with her posture. She's depressed, she slouches, she's annoyed, she slouches, she's addressing the slaves, she slouches, she's addressing the slavers, she slouches, she's embarassed, she slouches, she's happy, she slouches, etc. D'ye get what I'm trying to say?

Her emotional state has little to do with her posture, according to that trend. You can support and cheer her up until the moons reappear and it won't change her standard posture. Carrying oneself with a 'proper' posture isn't being that rigid. Once you learn it, it comes naturally and easily; just like slouching. (And I speak from personal experience)

((As for habit of drawing, Reza draws her with 'correct' posture as well, so it's not like it's beyond his capability. Just one more detail he'd would have to keep in mind from now on. He does such a fantastic job keeping track of details of the faceless, I doubt it'd be that much of a problem for him to add one to the main character.))

It may not be beyond Reza to draw her straight, but has the drawing of slouching been deliberate on each occasion to illustrate a behavioural point? I'm not so sure. And I'm still worried we're adding another layer of responsibility to An'jhali (that dratted responsibility of always being spotless and perfect that most people seem to expect of leaders), one we may not strictly need to point out, or expect of her in every situation, in the first place. Leaders are seldom perfect, and if we've got one who's most noticable fault is simply slouching, I'd be grateful.

That said, I'm sure you have plenty of voters on this issue. I'm not gonna go for it, though. It just seems too much to expect, asking her to be all up and tight, even around fellow clan members. Though I suppose a drow leader may have to be...Bah. BAH! Now I'm all morose on her behalf. :(

Thoughts are like arrows: once released, they strike their mark. Guard them well or one day you may be your own victim. - Navajo proverb.
Writer
Vel'akar

Postby kirio on Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:40 am

Jeriah wrote:There's been a trend with her posture. She's depressed, she slouches, she's annoyed, she slouches, she's addressing the slaves, she slouches, she's addressing the slavers, she slouches, she's embarassed, she slouches, she's happy, she slouches, etc. D'ye get what I'm trying to say?

I thought you might be exaggerating again, so I went back and checked the last 10 pages in the LA and the last 11 in the EA. In the LA she is clearly slouching while standing or sitting 14 times but standing or sitting straight backed and square shouldered 22 times. She doesn't appear at all in the EA in the last 10 pages. 11 pages ago she was straight twice and slouching once with one image only showing her head and thus ambiguous.
So, the slouching is a bit of a problem, but it's nowhere near as serious as you're making it out to be.

In page 50 of the LA, she never slouches, but is drawn by Donny not Reza.
Mana allows us to feel our connection to the world through the elements. Become one with that which thou wouldst change and the magic becomes effortless.
Cloudless Mind
kirio
Dark Chibi Demon

Re: EA: Day 18

Postby Tohya on Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:23 am

Two skeletons found in a collapsed part of the mine, that apparently is abandoned with the active mine further in. Although why the bodies were visible and not buried makes you wonder how they died. Though give the poor condition of everything in the mine, the stability of the mine shafts probably isn't all that great. While we continue the mine exploration, reworking the poor mining tools found into better tools should be considered.

Two of the wounded slavers died, which isn't too surprising. We were into the third day without food or water, which is the limit for humans though drow should be able to last longer. Their injures had weakened them too much. But the remaining slavers do appear to be quite broken now though.
Tohya
Vel'akar

Postby Jeriah on Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:56 am

The skeletons are in a relatively isolated part of the mine. It's likely that they died elsewhere and the bodies were dumped 'conveniently' away from the main dig site. If you've tried digging a grave before, you might understand the appeal of throwing a corpse aside rather than burying it. The earth around here isn't exactly soft.
- Ank'iseth Samarrikh
Jeriah
Vel'akar

Postby Finish on Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:17 am

Jeriah wrote:The skeletons are in a relatively isolated part of the mine. It's likely that they died elsewhere and the bodies were dumped 'conveniently' away from the main dig site. If you've tried digging a grave before, you might understand the appeal of throwing a corpse aside rather than burying it. The earth around here isn't exactly soft.

Sounds possible, but I wonder why they had keept them in the mine? Dead bodies smell bad and lure all kind of animals to the mine. Perhpas they were locked in as the mine closed and forgetten.
Or perhaps they are... UNDEAD... the typical monster you encounter during a dungeon crawling are skeletons, aren't they? ;)
Finish
Merc on vacation

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Postby Moonfire on Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:41 am

On the subject of dead things, I'll repeat what I said in the shoutbox. Dead slaves are no good to anyone. We need to feed them, water them, dress their wounds and for the love of Sharess, get them better living quarters! If morale sinks any lower they'll be worse than useless, so I'd vote against using the corpses as another source of raw materials. Give them an unmarked grave and be done with it.
Muna Nimaraidh, Tei'kaliath warrior and protector, Captain of squad two! Until everything gets re-done in 2.0 anyway...
Moonfire
Summoner

Postby Writer on Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:56 am

Finish wrote:Sounds possible, but I wonder why they had kept them in the mine? Dead bodies smell bad and lure all kind of animals to the mine. Perhpas they were locked in as the mine closed and forgetten.
Or perhaps they are... UNDEAD... the typical monster you encounter during a dungeon crawling are skeletons, aren't they? ;)

Or bone golems. But dream on, Veros. Dream on! :)

I guess the easiest way to figure out why the skeletons died would be to investigate them. Fixing up gear will also be a requirement. Safety in mines are a big issue, after all.

It's a shame the other scouts didn't get to find out more about your neighbours, though. Maybe use a full action on it, once you're done exploring the mine, Kir'ima?

I vote for using the bodies....IF we happen to need bone handles or somesuch. The ex-slavers are dead anyway, and even if the slaves see us cutting 'em up for resources, that would just be another blow to their will to run away. Since, hey, obviously they're useful for us, alive OR dead, and we've just proved that we're willing to let them die if they don't make themselves useful when alive.

Writer
Vel'akar

Postby Kir'ima on Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:05 am

Regardless of how they died, the skeletons are a resource. If the tools were used by slaves, then it is reasonable to assume that the skeletons are dead slaves. The may have died (or been fatally injured) in the collapse, and just left there because it wasn't worth carrying the bodies out of the mine. Because, well... you know... slaves.

Moonfire-
Any of the slaver prisoners that submit and become slaves will be fed and treated. I don't think that is up for debate. As for the ones who died, it might be interesting to scavenge the bodies for resources. Think of the message it would send the others: "You will serve us either alive... or dead. Your choice." *evileye*

Writer-
Yeah, I'm also pretty surprised that the scouts did not keep the lookout at our new neighbors, especially when I specifically said so in my action, but that's life. Maybe it is another hint not to split up one's group. I will probably have some scouts watch for a day and report when other scouts are taking a day rotation in the ruins to rest so that it does not completely wipe out an action.
waiting patiently for my next chance at Sayatt
everyone stay clear of my blast radius
Kir'ima
the scout

Postby Jeriah on Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:32 am

((I think the lack of details on the neighbors is an unwritten 'Nothing to report'. You had so much detail with investigating the mine that using up more text could indirectly interfere with your scouting of the mine (which obviously takes first priority).))
- Ank'iseth Samarrikh
Jeriah
Vel'akar

PreviousNext

Return to Community Centre