The heart of Ther'avare! Join in the conversations and make yourself known amongst your clan, and participate in its life, culture, and art!

Re: LA Update: Day 16 Mid-Day - Learning about Chel'

Postby Nagimalice on Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:39 am

Part of my though was that they would be gathering Rock and Clay as well as metal ores. And the time to have the person get setup and more adjusted and hiring people to working in the rank may take an action or two.

Even if the mine isn't ready then they could begin work on gathering the clay and rocks. (If i remember there is a spot to gather clay, it's just that no one has been back there to gather it.) We don't need to rush to decide but theres no harm in getting ready at the same time.
I don't wanna work.. I wanna sit around and bang on the forge all day."
Nagimalice
Vel'akar

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Re: Event A. Update: Day 16, Late

Postby weilong on Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:40 pm

maybe the Ill'haress should have at least 2 guards one thats visible and one that stays in the shadows from a distance this can provide with an excellent range ability to kill attackers as well as seeing the whole area while protecting the Ill'haress
Haichun of the Harvesters used to be a scholar but not much to read or teach atm so what can you do really? OOO THERE GOES A LIZARD!!!
weilong
Demon

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby Tohya on Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:19 am

The golems and carts make mining much easier, you'd only need about 4 people for one team. Two diggers assuming that there isn't a working digging golem, and that we have to use a sledge hammer and chisel. And two to fill a cart and run it out. If we ran two shifts so we don't wear the workers out, that would only tie up 8 harvesters.
Tohya
Vel'akar

Postby Hetros on Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:56 am

why use up harvesters at all? 2 slave masters aren't that much to add to the list... and that way we use slaves for mining instead.
Earth,fire,wind,and water all come together in perfect balance inside of a Smith's forge, this perfect harmony of elements can rarely be found anywhere else in existence.
~Hetros' Mentor
Hetros
Dragon of the Nether

Postby kirio on Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:09 pm

Someone qualified still needs to tell them where to mine and what to mine. And, unless you WANT to kill them, someone will have to teach them HOW to mine it. Otherwise the slaves (or former slavers) will be killed in a ceiling collapse. ^^;
Mana allows us to feel our connection to the world through the elements. Become one with that which thou wouldst change and the magic becomes effortless.
Cloudless Mind
kirio
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Pariel on Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:26 pm

kirio wrote:Someone qualified still needs to tell them where to mine and what to mine. And, unless you WANT to kill them, someone will have to teach them HOW to mine it. Otherwise the slaves (or former slavers) will be killed in a ceiling collapse. ^^;

Isn't Ar'lein a mining engineer by background?
"Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one." - Marcus Aurelius.
Pariel
Sharen Errand Boy

Clan: Sharen

Postby Miburo on Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:38 pm

if I can get those slavers to break mine work is something low enough at the bottom to start, altough that would mean they could get their hands on equipment you could severly hurt someone with.
We could also have the 9 slaves work the mines and promote the ex-miner slave to foreman, if he has the skill he would be responsible for the safety of his fellow slaves, that seems like a good motivation.

since there is a very big request for rocks and ore from the mine the good slaves would have a fulltime job there leaving us with 10 "bad" slaves that aren't broken yet or even if we can break them, can't be trusted yet. So there isn't going to be much I would trust them with for the first days.
Miburo
Vel'akar

Clan: Vloz'ress

Postby kirio on Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:57 pm

Pariel wrote:
kirio wrote:Someone qualified still needs to tell them where to mine and what to mine. And, unless you WANT to kill them, someone will have to teach them HOW to mine it. Otherwise the slaves (or former slavers) will be killed in a ceiling collapse. ^^;

Isn't Ar'lein a mining engineer by background?

Yes, but in the game she can only access her engineering skills unless she switches to a rank of miner. *tear*
Mana allows us to feel our connection to the world through the elements. Become one with that which thou wouldst change and the magic becomes effortless.
Cloudless Mind
kirio
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Tohya on Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:13 pm

Looks like the votes split too much again for a new rank, and the vote on whither to switch to 1 day updates may have worked better as a forum poll. As options besides the vote for the time slice change will dilute the results.

Also if we go to one update a day, the Ambassador and Merchant ranks should probably go to NPC's, as one update per day makes meaningful negotiations impossible. As the dialog that would normally take hours becomes days, if shown in the comic.

Time should advance at whatever rate the current situation allows for.
This means that Kern is free to set the time interval depending on what is happening in the comic. If he needs to slow things down to handle an encounter, fine. If he wants to speed things up he can have one day pass per update or even a week per update if warranted. Since the Leader Archive ends each time slice, Anjhali can simply announce how much time will pass in the next update when variations occur.
Last edited by Tohya on Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tohya
Vel'akar

Postby Novusod on Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:01 pm

Agreed Tohya, the time frame should go on as needed NOT as a vote. The fewer votes this gets in either direction the better. There are more pressing issues than wasting a vote over the clock.

If we are to contact Chel traders in the near future we need that diplomat or emissary might better word. The emissary would be responsible for dealing with merchant traders as well as negotiating with more hostile adversaries such as the owners of the mine. The emissary would be a lighter rank than a full on ambassador that the Ill'haress thinks we are not quite ready for yet. The emissary could always be upgraded to an ambassador at a latter time.
"A pessimists looks at the wind and complains. An optimist looks at the wind and believes the wind will change. A leader looks at the wind and trims the sails."
Novusod
Demon

Re: Leader Archive: Day 16, Late

Postby Thorn on Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:36 pm

I'm mostly concerned about most of the clan members not doing a crap.

I mean, I know they are just readers of the comic but....

Perhaps a draft system would be needed? *hmmm*
Thorn
Demon

Postby Novusod on Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:48 pm

Thorn wrote:I'm mostly concerned about most of the clan members not doing a crap.

I mean, I know they are just readers of the comic but....

Perhaps a draft system would be needed? *hmmm*

It also concerns me greatly that more than half our clan is inactive. As said in the three page discussion we had last week a draft had been ruled out as unfair to players who actively create characters and participate.

I think ultimately we need a flagging system so random players who don't read the forums or shout box and be hired as full assistants. However, this will require the use of a programmer but I think it would pay off in the long run. Here is a mock up of how players would be lured to flag themselves for hire.

"A pessimists looks at the wind and complains. An optimist looks at the wind and believes the wind will change. A leader looks at the wind and trims the sails."
Novusod
Demon

Postby weilong on Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:59 pm

Just want a 5 second drool feast on my part! I WAS IN THE PICTURE!!! And Dang! Do I look Hot!!! Kudos to the artists!!! Thanks for getting my good side ;)
Haichun of the Harvesters used to be a scholar but not much to read or teach atm so what can you do really? OOO THERE GOES A LIZARD!!!
weilong
Demon

Postby Meckruco on Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:07 pm

I dont think the draft was ruled out. I just need to spin it in a way so that people will vote for it.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum" If you desire peace, prepare for war.
House the of Will of Fire
Fourth Tir'ay Champ is Meck the bear killer.
Meckruco
Vel'akar

Postby Jeriah on Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:35 am

Tohya wrote:Looks like the votes split too much again for a new rank, and the vote on whither to switch to 1 day updates may have worked better as a forum poll. As options besides the vote for the time slice change will dilute the results.

You could combine the votes for both ranked proposals and it would probably still fall short of getting enough support. As for the forum poll, changing to 1 day per turn is a clan wide affecting decision. Although the majority of the people voting probably have a forum account, it would be mildly discriminatory to only have a forum vote decide the matter.

Tohya wrote:Also if we go to one update a day, the Ambassador and Merchant ranks should probably go to NPC's, as one update per day makes meaningful negotiations impossible. As the dialog that would normally take hours becomes days, if shown in the comic.

I can't say I agree with this. It is true that the players wouldn't be able to see the exact conversation of what is being negotiated or traded. Just whether the attempt was successful or not. However, this is very much like how the ranked are currently portrayed. They get one frame to sum up their actions and a text box describing the degree of success or failure. The dialog may only take a few hours, but they should be susceptible to the same gains or secondary/tertiary actions as the rest of the ranked. However, given the lackluster support, this isn't all that much of an issue.
- Ank'iseth Samarrikh
Jeriah
Vel'akar

PreviousNext

Return to Community Centre