The heart of Ther'avare! Join in the conversations and make yourself known amongst your clan, and participate in its life, culture, and art!

Re: EA Updated- Day 15: Rock/Metal Low & Large Creatures Sighted

Postby Tohya on Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:17 pm

Aww... that's no fun.

:p
Tohya
Vel'akar

Postby horusre on Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:52 pm

Meska369 wrote:yeah, I'm going to have a good look at em while I send back word to the others. I might even put the bar back and go back to have a pow-wow with all the ranked about our next move. We have proven we can open the door. I mean the only real goal I had for going to the golems was to see if they worked and what they did.

Exploring the mine REALLY needs to be done carefully and with full knowledge of all in power of our clan. I don't want to release a horde of mice-men on us all because I wanted to go play in the mines without backup. We do have two warriors with us, but I think this is definitely a combined power thing and I'm not risking the life of the people with me to poke about in the unexplored territory.

Goddess bless the fact our ranked have more sense than the moral majority.

*bows*
Bellum omnium contra omnes. Ceterum censeo Carthaginem delendam esse. Inter arma enim silent leges. Sic semper tyrannis. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Nuff said?
horusre
Summoner

Clan: Sharen

Postby Jeriah on Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:07 pm

Meska369 wrote:yeah, I'm going to have a good look at em while I send back word to the others. I might even put the bar back and go back to have a pow-wow with all the ranked about our next move. We have proven we can open the door. I mean the only real goal I had for going to the golems was to see if they worked and what they did.

Exploring the mine REALLY needs to be done carefully and with full knowledge of all in power of our clan. I don't want to release a horde of mice-men on us all because I wanted to go play in the mines without backup. We do have two warriors with us, but I think this is definitely a combined power thing and I'm not risking the life of the people with me to poke about in the unexplored territory.

((I don't feel Kern would give us a new area to explore only to make it completely unsuitable to be explored (eg horde of rabid mice men or other hostiles). Going back to the ruins to discuss among the ranked rather than discussing the matter OOC will only serve to delay the opening of the mine by 2+ turns. I'm sure the general consensus will be "Hey, let's open the mine, but be careful so we don't blindly walk into a trap and ready to reseal it in the case of a horde of weremice." We should be able to assume something as significant as unveiling the access of the mines, the scouts would mana signal the warriors at headquarters. So if you want backup, they'd be able to respond appropriately in game, without requiring waiting an additional 1+ turns.

Also, I thought a previous EA (page 44) mentioned that the golems weren't in the exact same place. Meaning someone had used them within the past 80 hours (From Day 11: Late, EA Page 33.). So likelihood of an awaiting hostile horde of creatures should be relatively low. However, the likelihood that someone will discover once we've intruded the mines will be high. Not a matter of if, but when.

So do we want to take over the mine and apply force (As we have with everything else) when the owners find out or negotiate terms in having access to the resources the mine offers, but at a price for peace? Given our usual bloodthirsty nature, I suspect the former.))
- Ank'iseth Samarrikh
Jeriah
Vel'akar

Postby Novusod on Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:48 pm

Well returning to the ruins will give you a chance to bring up extra warriors and scouts too if they are willing. We could also question the mining slave about possible dangers both in regards to the mine owners reacting to us using the their mine and possible dangers in the mine itself. We could also send the mine slave into the mine alone to check for traps. It is a calculated risk in of itself but it would minimize the danger to Tei'kaliath lives.
"A pessimists looks at the wind and complains. An optimist looks at the wind and believes the wind will change. A leader looks at the wind and trims the sails."
Novusod
Demon

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby Writer on Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:03 pm

Having a builder along would also mean the builder would be able to assess the state of the mine (does it need repair? Is it dangerous?) and to check if higher-quality stones could be excavated along with the normal ore as building material. Maybe anyone could do that, but eh. I like the idea of a joint ranked action to explore the mine, as it sounds like a thorough plan where we're both well-protected and definitely able to take advantage of the different skillsets of the clan should they be needed.

Heck, I'm supportive of nabbing one of the healers along as well, just in case, and one of the smiths, to judge the availability of metal ores. Yes, these are all things that can be done by the scouts...But come on. It never hurts to be prepared or to have expert help.

Also...Anki'seth. Bloodthirsty? Pot, kettle, black. 8P (Oh, I know, I know. Just poking fun. I just honestly don't regard the Tei'kaliath as very bloodthirsty. For drow they're very pragmatic, and 'nice'.)
Due'gar Tolmen Tei'Kaliath - A busy builder.

A day at work. - "I wish...Um. Nevermind."

Thoughts are like arrows: once released, they strike their mark. Guard them well or one day you may be your own victim. - Navajo proverb.
Writer
Vel'akar

Postby Jeriah on Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:59 pm

The warriors and scouts can head to the mine in their next turn. They don't need the mine group to return first. As for questioning the slave, I can't say asking them how the owners would react to us commandeering their mine would elicit anything but a negative response. In other words, that'd be a question we should already know the answer to. As for dangers, other than the standard dangers mines possess, it has been implied that he would have no knowledge of that as he mentioned that he had no idea why the mine was closed down.

As for me being a pot calling the kettle black, all I did was voice the opinion of the Clan. Although I was one of the few proponents for a diplomatic solution, when I'm outnumbered by more than 10 to 1, there's not much I can do. I don't believe I'm so set my ways I can't see alternative solutions to a problem because they don't adhere to my 'ideal' conditions. Meaning I don't seek a violent resolution unless that's the best course of action. Given the sentiments of the Clan at the time, I acted upon that course as a peaceful approach was no longer viable.
- Ank'iseth Samarrikh
Jeriah
Vel'akar

Postby Novusod on Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:57 pm

If we do come across another chance to talk to our next adversary I would like to give diplomacy a very solid chance. Something more than just kill them all if they don't give into our immediate demands. Before someone says we don't have anything to offer them. We could offer to run/lease the mine from the owners in exchange for a share of the crafted goods and gems that come out of the mine. With a steady supply of metal we would could easily spare a few fine Tei'kaliath blades. Build a reputation of master crafters in Chel so maybe long term merchants would seek us out. This is opposed to trying to conquer every adversary we meet.
"A pessimists looks at the wind and complains. An optimist looks at the wind and believes the wind will change. A leader looks at the wind and trims the sails."
Novusod
Demon

Postby Kir'ima on Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:08 am

Agreed, and that also makes sense in terms of pure logistics.

The latest EA page shows all the warriors returned to the ruins, and while I cannot see the warriors leaving the techs unprotected like that, it is dangerous to assume that it is just a comic mistake. We also do not know exactly where the two scouts are, since they do not appear in the panel with the techs/golems. If they have also returned to the ruins like I said in my action, then the techs are unprotected and do not even have lookouts, which again I just can't see happening. The only good thing about this would be that the clan knows of the situation and can send a full exploration team that way this next turn.

On the other hand, if the two scouts are still there at the golem gate, then we need to let the clan know what is happening before rushing into the mine, and our current signals do not allow that. This means a turn of running back and forth between the ruins to bring back at least a couple of warriors and hopefully other team members as well. Otherwise, having the two scouts enter the mine this next turn would again leave any techs remaining outside unprotected and the cavern entrance with no lookout.

So either way I do not see anyone actually entering the mine this next turn.
Kir'ima
the scout

Re: EA Update: Day 16, Mid-Day

Postby Christine on Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:12 am

Sounds like a good plan though the mine was mentioned as being abandoned earlier so there might not be much in it and the owners might not care if we mess with it. Though the abandoned part might not be true since the golems must have moved for some reason.
"That which does not kill you makes you stronger"...
"That which does not kill me better hope it can run faster scared then I can mad"
Christine
Tainted

Postby Jeriah on Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:38 am

((If it was specified that the techs had warriors/scouts protecting them, then although the warriors/scouts may no longer be there, I believe the macro effect of them being protected from avoidable harm should remain. Meaning that Kern isn't going to put them into unavoidable danger that the warriors/scouts would be able to prevent in spite of there being explicit directions for that not to happen. So let's take it as a good thing and consider the Clan informed of the most recent events and continue from there without needless deliberation.

Not too long ago, people were singing the accolades of 'speeding up progress' by making each turn 1 day rather than 3 turns a day and now it seems like we're shuddering back into wanting to slow things down again. I would like to remind us that each turn spans circa an 8 hour period. Sending a runner back and forth would be the easiest explanation for meta-game knowledge of events, so let's make a decision in the forums and post the results in the subsequent ranked actions rather than forcing the archives to 'waste' a turn deliberating the same matter, only to come to the same conclusion. As for the mana flare, although you only had basic signals in mind, it was only explained in the EA as 'how to communicate at long distances'. Meaning it could be a form of morse-type code and not 1 blink for 'Aw crap' and 2 blinks for 'All's clear'.))
- Ank'iseth Samarrikh
Jeriah
Vel'akar

Postby Freihage Vyrle on Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:36 am

So who wants to take bets on how long it'll take before the owners find out?
Freihage Vyrle
Nether Seed

Postby Christine on Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:15 am

Freihage Vyrle wrote:So who wants to take bets on how long it'll take before the owners find out?

We have seen no sign of anyone going to the mine so if the leader archive is kept busy then it could take more than a week of game time. However if there is nothing to vote about in the leader archive then it would probably happen much sooner just to keep things busy.
Christine
Tainted

Postby Jeriah on Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:25 am

I thought the scouts reported that the golems were moved ((EA Page 44)). So unless they have a remote source of power to displace them, one may deduct that someone else used the golems at least once between the period that they last noted the positions of the golems ((Golems last checked on Day 11, EA Page 33)). Presumably, the owners of the mine. However, although there have been signs of use, there is no guarantee that they'd check up anymore often than once a week, if not longer. Here's hoping it's an annual thing.
- Ank'iseth Samarrikh
Jeriah
Vel'akar

Postby Tohya on Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:32 am

I hope it doesn't happen too quickly, we can use some time prepare. That and the pace of PtP is rather slow atm. So it would be a couple months of updates before our next encounter anyway, unless there are groups are queuing up at the cavern entrance to visit us. :p

The slow pace of updates is fine for encounters or exploration of new areas like the mine. If we were to speed things up, it would work best as a variable time interval that Kern would set by leaving a message at the end of an Leader page stating how much time will pass in the next pair of updates. The time interval could then be set to anything from 1 hour to 1 month. Though the longer intervals present more of a problem on how/what to show in the update.

And now that we have claimed the mine as ours, we really should ask the ex-miner for more information about who ran the mine when he worked there.

We should also pick a Ambassador so Shiir isn't the one talking to the previous owners if/when they show up.
Tohya
Vel'akar

Re: LA Update: Day 16 Mid-Day - Learning about Chel'

Postby Novusod on Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:36 am

I think the Ill'haress could be in danger out by the mine like that. Shows how quickly an innocent suggestion can be turned against us. Whatever is in that mine is not worth risking our leader like that. Though if the owners show up this will be the only way we could try diplomacy since we have no diplomat. Problem is going by her last comment she doesn't seem to diplomatic. This could turn ugly real quick if the owners show up.
Novusod
Demon

PreviousNext

Return to Community Centre