The heart of Ther'avare! Join in the conversations and make yourself known amongst your clan, and participate in its life, culture, and art!

Re: EA Updated- Day 15: Rock/Metal Low & Large Creatures Sighted

Postby Novusod on Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:23 am

The ranked members will have to think more in a macro sense as much of the trial and error plans we have been using won't work on a faster time scale. The unintended consequence of this is that it will bring the next crisis forward all that much faster without much time to develop anything else. It also reduces our reaction to when a crisis does pop up. Say if the slavers try to escape again it will be a whole day before we could react to it. I do think there is also a lot to gain from a faster time frame. Projects will go much quicker. If done right instead of spending three turns opening the doors in the basement it could be done in one turn. Similarly we could also open the mine faster and have the crafter and forge produce more goods for us.

Overall I have mixed feelings with this. I am all for trying the faster time scale but we should realize it won't solve all our problems such as the unemployment issue. Only spending real time and attention on this will solve it.
"A pessimists looks at the wind and complains. An optimist looks at the wind and believes the wind will change. A leader looks at the wind and trims the sails."
Novusod
Demon

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby kirio on Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:43 am

Up to this point I think the third of a day pages were necessary, but now that we have control of this cavern and a plan to exploit it, one day one page makes sense. It'll will also help us think of the big picture rather than get bogged down in details. Eventually, it would probably make more sense for each page to cover a whole week and only touch on highlights or important events that occurred rather than try to illustrate every moment.

Novusod, if we try to play out every moment the Tei'kaliath will never gain even minor Clan status in the course of the game. We've been going over a year and barely two weeks have passed. If we ever want to reach the point that the citizens of Chel will recognize An'jhali as an Il'har (let alone Ill'haress) the game time flow will have to be faster not slower than RL time. We have already had trial runs of two different ways of the faceless being recruited (drafted) for jobs: the 29 former slaves emancipated by Elif :D and the voting options for volunteers (in which most of the votes were cast by people already working as assistants and amounted to each one drafting one faceless to join the work }:3 )
Mana allows us to feel our connection to the world through the elements. Become one with that which thou wouldst change and the magic becomes effortless.
Cloudless Mind
kirio
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Jeriah on Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:08 am

((This is assuming that with the expedited time, progress is expedited as well. Nothing stopping the change from being purely cosmetic to make it seem like things are progressing more quickly.

However, assuming that it is the former, does Kern intend to triple the passing of time and allow ranked members to submit triple the actions? Or will he just triple the output and keep the number of allowable actions the same? I'll assume the latter since the former would be three times the headache for him to wade through.

If that's the case, then a con for speeding time up is if a ranked member misses an update for any reason, it'll hurt three times as much.))
Last edited by Jeriah on Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Ank'iseth Samarrikh
Jeriah
Vel'akar

Postby Kir'ima on Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:46 am

Likewise if a ranked member (I am specifically thinking of the techs, builders and crafters here) submits a trial-and-error type action that results in an early error, or attempts to do something that is not allowed for some reason and ends up losing the rest of the action.

In any case I think tripling the actions per turn (as opposed to just the output) will be too much micro-management, so there probably needs to be some leeway or back-and-forth in these cases.
Kir'ima
the scout

Postby kirio on Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:51 am

Jeriah wrote:apt and pointed observation

*sweatdrop*
I really, REALLY hope you're wrong... but... *tear*

I've said far too much about things like this in the past. I'll shut up now. ^^;
Mana allows us to feel our connection to the world through the elements. Become one with that which thou wouldst change and the magic becomes effortless.
Cloudless Mind
kirio
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Zafia on Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:32 pm

It would be be nice if we could get time to go faster in-game. Perhaps if the ranked members could get it so that they only really need use one trial-and-error method per turn, and find something more definite to do for the other 2 turns, then we would still be able to experiment, it would just take longer, and be harder... but we would get places faster.
Zafia
Tainted

Postby weilong on Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:35 am

how does the current system work exactly?
Haichun of the Harvesters used to be a scholar but not much to read or teach atm so what can you do really? OOO THERE GOES A LIZARD!!!
weilong
Demon

Postby Zafia on Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:28 pm

weilong wrote:how does the current system work exactly?

It's currently that we have three updates per day, at the three different times of day, early, mid-day, and late. This system gives ranked members 3 opportunities per game day to submit actions and see their results. The movement to 1 update per game day takes a toll on any trial-and error methods used, as it usually doesn't take long just to see if something works or doesn't work, but if you have the rest of your action depending on it working and it ends up not working than the rest of your action is royally messed up. It would be increasingly hard to experiment with new things for the clan if we moved to the 1 update per game day.

I think that's the gist of it.... *wutno*
Last edited by Zafia on Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zafia
Tainted

Postby Chronx6 on Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:14 pm

And the members couldn't come up with an alternate action or two to tack onto the bottom if the may one goes wrong? Kind of like how we include a secound and third possible action now?

The main problem i see with changing is just how long of text the ranked would submit. They'd have enough actions to fill a day, plus backups if something goes wrong with the main one.
Do the best you can with what you have.
Chronx6
Summoner

Postby Hermil on Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:46 pm

Speeding things up a little seems like a good idea to me, it won't take as long for us ex-slavers to earn the clan's trust with one day completed per update. *blush* :D
And if I understood the page right, the patients need to rest to recover now, including Hermil'ion, so if we speed things up he will recover sooner and then be able to join a job of some kind. 8) 8) (I don't know if any of the other wounded are just faceless or not?)

But the ones really affected by it are the ranked, I'm not sure how that works. Would it just be the same as before, except their action happens over a longer stretch of time?
Hermil
Nether Spawn

Postby Zafia on Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:58 pm

Chronx6 wrote:And the members couldn't come up with an alternate action or two to tack onto the bottom if the may one goes wrong? Kind of like how we include a secound and third possible action now?

The main problem i see with changing is just how long of text the ranked would submit. They'd have enough actions to fill a day, plus backups if something goes wrong with the main one.

That's a problem people are seeing in this, the ranked members don't want to submit walls of text to Kern for their actions, it would just give everybody involved a headache...
Zafia
Tainted

Re: EA Updated- Day 16: Mines are open

Postby Novusod on Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:18 am

With the golems opening the door it appears we have a new area for exploration. It is still listed as a possible threat so it would be prudent to proceed with caution. Always weary of trick doors being traps in these types of settings.
"A pessimists looks at the wind and complains. An optimist looks at the wind and believes the wind will change. A leader looks at the wind and trims the sails."
Novusod
Demon

Postby Zafia on Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:31 am

Novusod wrote:With the golems opening the door it appears we have a new area for exploration. It is still listed as a possible threat so it would be prudent to proceed with caution. Always weary of trick doors being traps in these types of settings.

Even if it has since changed to not being a possible threat we couldn't know, the map hasn't been updated for a while now. But I do agree, caution is extremely important, we never know if someone is going to unexpectedly come up from Chel or even what made the mine close down.
Zafia
Tainted

Postby Jeriah on Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:46 am

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. What else are we going to do?
- Ank'iseth Samarrikh
Jeriah
Vel'akar

Postby Novusod on Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:24 am

By caution I mean use the scouts to search the mine for traps. This mine should be treated as opening a door in a dungeon. You have scouts with you on the scene why not use them?
Novusod
Demon

PreviousNext

Return to Community Centre