The heart of Ther'avare! Join in the conversations and make yourself known amongst your clan, and participate in its life, culture, and art!

Re: LA: Day 14 MidDay: Morale Boost & Demo = They Surrender

Postby Kir'ima on Fri May 23, 2008 2:03 am

Christine wrote:the GM made snickering sounds and comments that indicated it would be harder than expected; ::snip:: I knew enough of how he played to know to pay attention when he comments on plans.

You should play poker with your GM. You could win a lot of money. :U

When I was a GM, the first thing I would do if the players were "reading" me was to change my tells.
But then I am a bastard.
Kir'ima
the scout

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby Hetros on Fri May 23, 2008 5:20 pm

Kir'ima wrote:
Christine wrote:the GM made snickering sounds and comments that indicated it would be harder than expected; ::snip:: I knew enough of how he played to know to pay attention when he comments on plans.

You should play poker with your GM. You could win a lot of money. :U

When I was a GM, the first thing I would do if the players were "reading" me was to change my tells.
But then I am a bastard.

oh, I let my players know my tells early on, they basically are summerized as this:
I get really ticked off when my players do any of the following, and thus will inform them by making really bad stuff, or truly boring stuff, happen to them.
1) Know the Lore, use your damn knowledge checks for more than making stuff.
2) Use common sense, don't toss a sword to a friend when it's close enough to grab, don't use a complex spell where a simple one will do unless that's just how your character is.
3) Your character is in character at all times, I don't mess around with that, you have your character make an anachronism, I'll usually work around it unless it's huge, but have him doing damned fool stuff is just stupid.

That's about my only tell ^^ oh, and evil demonic laughter, I still make some of my closer D&D buddies cringe with that.

What this all means: Listen to the GM, he's trying to make this fun for everybody, even if you can't tell through your own illogicalness :P
Hetros
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Chronx6 on Fri May 23, 2008 11:28 pm

So now its clean up and we need to decide how our clan does burial rites. Fun.

Of coarse theres a lot of other things that need to be done now. Mainly question the slavers and figure out what to do with them. Trust them if they say the right things to join us as 'Mercenaries'? Use the Slave Master's time to break them and make them slaves? Kill them? Or do something totally diffrent?
Chronx6
Summoner

Postby Thalar on Sat May 24, 2008 12:06 am

I was going to argue that we could still salvage the situation, but with one dead, and two on the brink, I'm just gonna concentrate on my work.
Thalar
Melon Berserker

Clan: Jaal'darya

Re: EA Updated - Day 14 Late: New Items, & RIP OC Quel'ianthiss

Postby Tohya on Sat May 24, 2008 1:20 am

The Tiktikkis look like more like Prairie dogs than reptiles. :p

This went about as well as one could expect. And we won't have to worry about anyone coming after the slavers, or them coming back with friends should one escape. Now we wait to see what the fate of the slavers will be.
Tohya
Vel'akar

Postby Novusod on Sat May 24, 2008 2:19 am

The only thing that went really bad was Quel died of his injuries. I think a proper funeral and burial will be in order for one of the clan's finest.

The slave quarters are going to be pretty busy processing these prisoners into slaves. However, they seem pretty well cowed already. Maybe bringing that building down on them had something to do with it or perhaps they were only putting on a brave facade before. They all stripped down to nothing without incident are in the process of being interrogated. The three slavers captured on the lizard raid will also have to be strip searched. I feel these prisoners have a debt to repay the clan so after the interrogation is over I would like to put them to work. The food and their clothes can be used as a bit of a carrot to motivate them since we have decided to forgo the torture stick. The clan is too small to have an extra 20+ useless eaters around. This will be a working slave encampment where those who do not work will not be fed or clothed. The more they work with us the better they will be treated.
Novusod
Demon

Postby Chronx6 on Sat May 24, 2008 2:29 am

Heres the thing about making them slaves. They seemed no better, if not worse, off than we were. I know I was for killing them but thats when the chance for them to charge was immanent. I'm also not saying go 'Yay we can be friends now!' but perhaps we should wait until after they answer our questions to start going 'You slave. We owner.'

And what does burial for us mean? We were pretty apart from everything so we could totally make up this portion of our culture on our own. Maybe we do burn them? Maybe we bury them? Do we have a chant we use to send their soul to the moons we no longer see? Do we commit them to the earth we live in? The little water that flows through? To the air that eventually leads out? What do we do with our honored dead? Or maybe we recycle all dead as a necessity.
Chronx6
Summoner

Postby Jeriah on Sat May 24, 2008 2:48 am

I know this probably won't be a popular option, but I would suggest no more than a wake. Reason being that his body possesses resources we can use
(But perhaps this is my limited harvester background talking). If nothing else, as tiktikki feed as I'd prefer to use the 'food' many would be squimish about eating rather than our 'good' food, like our fish and algae.

Although the slavers seem 'cowed,' I'd recommend not dropping our guard. One could speculate they believed us cowed right before we ambushed them.
Jeriah
Vel'akar

Postby Novusod on Sat May 24, 2008 3:11 am

Chronx6 wrote:Heres the thing about making them slaves. They seemed no better, if not worse, off than we were. I know I was for killing them but thats when the chance for them to charge was immanent. I'm also not saying go 'Yay we can be friends now!' but perhaps we should wait until after they answer our questions to start going 'You slave. We owner.'

One of the things I would like to learn from the prisoners is why they felt the the need to threaten us and mock our Ill'haress. That was stupendously dumb on their part and for that mistake Quel is dead and we have many other wounded. For that they now owe us a debt. However, I do not see that debt as infinite. There is no need for them to be slaves forever. If they work hard and give us no trouble I have no problem letting them go free after they worked off some of that debt. In a way they could be even more valuable to us freed than as slaves. We as clan have a lot to offer over their past lives in Chel so maybe they get the will get Stockholm syndrome and stay with us. But this is something that cannot happen over night.

And what does burial for us mean? We were pretty apart from everything so we could totally make up this portion of our culture on our own. Maybe we do burn them? Maybe we bury them? Do we have a chant we use to send their soul to the moons we no longer see? Do we commit them to the earth we live in? The little water that flows through? To the air that eventually leads out? What do we do with our honored dead? Or maybe we recycle all dead as a necessity.

Those are good points. Now might be a good time to explore a bit of the clan's religious beliefs. Maybe we end up going cannibal and eat him so his strength can become our own. We have been on starvation rations since the fall of the city and have been eating nothing but algae and the little fish in the stream so a little real meat would do us good. Would it be done out of honor or out of pragmatism or could it be both. Ritual eating of the honored dead was practiced in almost every society at some point in time.
Novusod
Demon

Postby horusre on Sat May 24, 2008 3:18 am

Fluid morality never ceases to amaze... at least a deity as capricious as Lloth would approve. ^^ And I'm with Jeriah, practicality should be a little more important than something as absolutely fruitless as ceremonial burial. Maybe it seems sick to humans, but it shouldn't even cause a moments hesitation for a Drow... even highly moral and self-righteous Drow. The scouts and maybe the warriors should gather to honor his name but the rest of us should stay busy, time has been lost and with the new resources we have an opportunity to make up for that. Hardly the proper time to drop everything for some gathering for one lost member.

If it's an issue of honoring the dead, have one of the architects or crafters carve his name on a wall somewhere... a place where the names of all the fallen can be recorded. If we are going to lay claim to the place as ours what better way to show we have no intention of ever leaving. Nothing says "I'm not moving" like marking territory with the names of the dead! Just ask the Egyptians. ;)
horusre
Summoner

Clan: Sharen

Postby Kir'ima on Sat May 24, 2008 3:28 am

Novusod wrote:they now owe us a debt. However, I do not see that debt as infinite. There is no need for them to be slaves forever. If they work hard and give us no trouble I have no problem letting them go free after they worked off some of that debt. In a way they could be even more valuable to us freed than as slaves.

I asked the same thing in the past about slaves working off their debt and becoming free clan members, and was told that freeing a slave essentially loses us the resource, since as slaves we can direct their labor, but as NPC clan members we cannot. So as far as I am concerned, they are our prisoners/slaves and will work for us until we decide to sell or otherwise dispose of them.

Maybe we end up going cannibal and eat him so his strength can become our own. We have been on starvation rations since the fall of the city and have been eating nothing but algae and the little fish in the stream so a little real meat would do us good. Would it be done out of honor or out of pragmatism or could it be both. Ritual eating of the honored dead was practiced in almost every society at some point in time.

I actually like this idea. To take the fallen into ourselves so that they live on within us, and at the same time are able to continue serving the clan even in death as a vital resource. I think a simple ceremony that included marking the names of our honored fallen on a wall in our great hall would be quite fitting.
Kir'ima
the scout

Postby Novusod on Sat May 24, 2008 3:48 am

Kir'ima wrote:I asked the same thing in the past about slaves working off their debt and becoming free clan members, and was told that freeing a slave essentially loses us the resource, since as slaves we can direct their labor, but as NPC clan members we cannot. So as far as I am concerned, they are our prisoners/slaves and will work for us until we decide to sell or otherwise dispose of them.

Yes that is a bit of downside based on the mechanics of the game. There is one way around this however. The slaves can become player controlled characters upon their release. Imagine if 'Q' comes back but because Quel is dead he would have no character in P2P. Suppose he decided to take over control of the Jokerlady. At that time she would be released from the slave quarters and turned over to control of 'Q' as his new character. This gives us a way to deal with player death if and when it occurs as well as allow us to expand the clan for new incoming players.
Novusod
Demon

Postby weilong on Sat May 24, 2008 3:54 am

actually for that to work we can't use any of the slaves we currently have. However your character could have been a slave from our homeland and have now started out free I know that some of the member characters are ex-slaves but the slaves we currently have and will have cannot be made into characters later on
weilong
Demon

Postby Kir'ima on Sat May 24, 2008 4:48 am

Novusod wrote:Yes that is a bit of downside based on the mechanics of the game. There is one way around this however. The slaves can become player controlled characters upon their release. Imagine if 'Q' comes back but because Quel is dead he would have no character in P2P. Suppose he decided to take over control of the Jokerlady. At that time she would be released from the slave quarters and turned over to control of 'Q' as his new character. This gives us a way to deal with player death if and when it occurs as well as allow us to expand the clan for new incoming players.

No, that is also a loss of resources. If a person joins P2P, then we gain a new clan member. However, if a person joins and takes the character of a newly-released slave, then we still gain a new clan member, but we lose the slave, so it is a net minus.
Your character's situation is a bit special in that the clan had already decided to free those slaves before we were aware of this mechanic. As a result, we currently have a number of faceless freed-slave NPCs who do not contribute or appear in the comic (unless someone takes them as a character).

In short, freeing a slave to become a clan member means loss of a resource with no commensurate gain.

And the image of 'Q' coming back as the person who killed him is... disturbing.
Kir'ima
the scout

Postby kirio on Sat May 24, 2008 5:04 am

Ves'xilé and Ar'lien are members of one of the many Moons' Cult sects of the old city. (Ar'lein is a priestess) I wrote a funeral rite for them to say over the two slaves they buried on day 11. If you guys like it, we could say it for Quel.
White (both) Green (Ar'lien) amber (Ves'xilé)

Like bubbles on water these auras have burst, Mana's gift lost, and all that remains is a memory slowly fading.
Be thou at peace!
Thy struggles are ended.
Be thou at peace!

Thy suffering ceased.
Be thou at peace!

Thy vows untied.
Be thou at peace!

Thy chattels lost.
Be thou at peace!

From thy body shriven.
Be thou at peace!

Thy aura dispersed.