The heart of Ther'avare! Join in the conversations and make yourself known amongst your clan, and participate in its life, culture, and art!

Re: Leader A: Day 14, Early - Lizard Raid & Bloody Ambush

Postby Frost Indri on Wed May 14, 2008 1:25 am

I'm agreeing totally with Jeriah. I think something that we don't talk about is the fact that we are building a community. When someone volunteers, we reward that action in such a way as to draw them into that community.

I wish we could get that "how to play" page up.

I think one of the difficulties is that we ranked members would prefer that people volunteer here in the forum. After all, we can be assured that we aren't going to miss the volunteer by either a busy shout-box or a busy life schedule. I wish that there was a way to ping ranked members from the page, but that's just not going to happen.
Frost Indri
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby Kir'ima on Wed May 14, 2008 2:06 am

I wish we could get that "how to play" page up.

Medea seemed to indicate that it was a matter of funding and funding priorities.
How much funding are we talking here?

I think one of the difficulties is that we ranked members would prefer that people volunteer here in the forum. After all, we can be assured that we aren't going to miss the volunteer by either a busy shout-box or a busy life schedule. I wish that there was a way to ping ranked members from the page, but that's just not going to happen.

The best way is probably a forum post combined with a PM, but the problem is that it can be confusing to try and figure out who is what character without spending significant time on the forums. This can discourage newer members and casual players, who are the ones we are trying to get to contribute. At the very least it does not facilitate their participation. Is it possible to include a "Tei'kaliath clan status" field to the user profile at the right of each post? Can we suggest that the "Location" field be used to indicate character name and clan status? It would really help to identify each other and facilitate communication.
Kir'ima
the scout

Postby Tohya on Wed May 14, 2008 2:16 am

Lord Stone wrote:Personally I still think the voting options should be monitored for options that simply do not work in the game mechanics. Sometimes I'm like "But I'm a warrior... of course I'm behind the Warmaster, it's where I'm supposed to be. I am a warrior" This dilemma pops up whenever the voting options become participation options.

This game works a little like the TV series Lost when it comes to where the people stand. There are a number of characters who have a role. They are the Ill'haress, the ranked members and perhaps even the members with jobs. Then there is this mass of people who are never really important to the series, but they are there nonetheless. They sometimes help out with specific tasks, but otherwise you never know what they are doing (but this doesn't mean all of them are actually doing nothing... just nothing worth mentioning for the story).

The Leader archive is where we get to advise Anjhali, even with the new mechanic of being able to accomplish simple tasks. She still has the authority to stop any action she disproves of.
Tohya
Vel'akar

Postby Kir'ima on Wed May 14, 2008 4:56 am

Jeriah wrote:
Hetros wrote:Thats still why I vote that each rank has a cap on the number of helpers it gets and those are filled out of our work pool. These are effectively just faceelss until somebody says "hey, I'm one of those".

That takes the value out of contributing to a profession though. If there's someone there performing the function (eg, a faceless NPC) and all I do is say 'Hey, I'm one of those now', there's no change other than a editing a name on a roster since the slot was already filled, but by an NPC. By forcing players to actively sign up for a profession, they're impacting the clan, not just acting as ornamentation.

Well, Kern just stated clearly in the shout box:
God wrote:No you may not control other people's characters, conscript or not.

Which settles the question for once and for all.
If we want more characters helping, we have to get more people participating.
Kir'ima
the scout

Postby Christine on Wed May 14, 2008 4:08 pm

If there is no funding or time to make a "how to play" comic page then whey not make just a pure text "how to play" guide. It could be like the "question and answers" page for Path to Power but with an index. It would also be easier to update the rules on then a comic page.
Christine
Tainted

Postby Lady Tenkage on Wed May 14, 2008 4:34 pm

Why don't we compile the rules, ourselves? Set up the basics for it, maybe even have some of our members creat the set-up themselves? Then, all Kern & C. wwould have to do would be to put the completed compilation on the main page. I mean, this is our community, and we want tom contribute as much as we can, don't we?
Lady Tenkage
Demon

Postby Jaibyrd on Wed May 14, 2008 5:01 pm

Lady Tenkage wrote:Why don't we compile the rules, ourselves? Set up the basics for it, maybe even have some of our members creat the set-up themselves? Then, all Kern & C. wwould have to do would be to put the completed compilation on the main page. I mean, this is our community, and we want tom contribute as much as we can, don't we?

I agree, then maybe I could draw something to go with it and someone else could color it. But I wouldn't mind taking on such a project to help out! *bigsmile*
Jaibyrd
Vel'akar

Postby Zorlond on Wed May 14, 2008 5:59 pm

While a good idea, I'd like to advise getting Kern's official 'OK' on this, both the basic idea itself and the final text to be included on it. Don't want to do a whole lot of work for something that turns out completely unsuitable.
Zorlond
Vel'akar

Postby Lady Tenkage on Wed May 14, 2008 8:34 pm

Yeah, you're right...
Lady Tenkage
Demon

Postby Christine on Wed May 14, 2008 9:27 pm

We could also use scenes from the comic as pictures instead of having all newly drawn ones. Like the one in the latest comic of refugees getting attacked by slavers to reinforce the idea that submitting individual actions in the leader archive instead of working as a team is a bad idea. It could be contrasted against the successful lizard raid picture with an explanation of why one succeeded and the other failed.

So who is going to ask Kern?
Christine
Tainted

Postby Jeriah on Wed May 14, 2008 9:39 pm

Well, although you may need permission from Kern to have something posted officially on the PtP page, there's nothing stopping anyone from starting a new thread focusing on the discussion of what you'd like to see on it (EG Things I wish I knew when I first played PtP). If it gets approved, it could be stickied, at the least.
Jeriah
Vel'akar

Postby Thalar on Wed May 14, 2008 9:59 pm

I concur. Start a thread, discuss what the important points are and try to compile a list, which we can then have as a sticky here on the forum.
Thalar
Melon Berserker

Clan: Jaal'darya

Postby weilong on Wed May 14, 2008 10:29 pm

anybody gonna volunteer to start the thread?
weilong
Demon

Postby Lady Tenkage on Wed May 14, 2008 11:22 pm

Workin' on it!
Lady Tenkage
Demon

Postby Miburo on Thu May 15, 2008 7:09 pm

YAY, slave equipment !!! I get usefull stuff *lol*