The heart of Ther'avare! Join in the conversations and make yourself known amongst your clan, and participate in its life, culture, and art!

Re: Leader's A. Updated - Day 10 Mid-Day: VIC-TOR-EEE!

Postby Hetros on Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:37 pm

hmmmmm.... sounds good, you thinking about applying for the miner position Tana?
Hetros
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby Serantis on Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:32 pm

Event Archive Updated, The ruins are clear and ours. And Mari'ciel's bedside manner needs work =P
Serantis
Demon

Postby Hetros on Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:33 am

Q-Q
oooooooooouch... now yall understand what Hetros and the other blacksmith assistants go through each day. :E

anyway, time to move in and recruit an Architect ehn?
Hetros
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Serantis on Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:41 am

Up to Y'all im packing up and heading north to scout around and expand our zone of influence.
Serantis
Demon

Re: EA Updated - Day 10, Late; Moving Inside

Postby tanarill on Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:26 pm

Hetros wrote:hmmmmm.... sounds good, you thinking about applying for the miner position Tana?

>.< Sorry to have to do this to you, Hetros, but it was bound to happen eventually. You just got unlucky :P tanarill the person has no caps, and is abbreviated tan (as in what you get if you spend a lot of time in the sun). Tanarill with a capital letter is a city (which only exists in my head). Please try not to confuse the two XD

As for me being a miner . . . No XD Nothing in Ardune's past would give her any experience with it, and I'm sure there are persons better suited to it. Besides, Ardune is having fun learning where and how hard to hit to hurt someone without actually damaging them. I mean, first aid and nursing.
tanarill
Summoner

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Postby Meska369 on Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:12 pm

*smiles at Tanarill*

Goods Ideas , all of them.

If we do mine, we certainly will want to use the materials we have available for now. Remember we are assuming the local stone is going to be suitable.

If not suitable then it will only be useable for "patch filler" untill we can get something better... close up the blairing gaps in the ruin walls and such just so we can keep out small crawlies, the wind (yes there is wind in here, calm though it might be), and boost morale. Mining close to our home is good in simple efficiantcy terms, less stone and clay movement the better but we need to make sure we do not endanger the fortes by mining too closely. Planing planing planing...

If we need to go far afield for our materials, then having able bodied slaves is the best as they are used to laboring and are pretty good at it if kept healthy, working in shifts with breaks (as in rotating them in and out of work to keep them rested enough to be truly streamlined), and well treated as opposed to the whips and screaming methods. We still might find a quarry in the cavern or an honest-to-god mine(dreams) in the cavern, so getting the place scouted is a great idea.

As for what to build first... Two major projects will need to be first as I see it.

Ruins and more importantly an encircling fortified Wall with lookout areas. We can dig out trenches for a dry moat and if that rock is not structural enough then use it as filler for the wall with structural rock forming the outer surfaces. Mix the filler stone and dirt with "bad" clay and it should harden into a suitably firm mass untill we decide to replace it with something more permanent. Remember, this is how the Great Wall of China was essentially formed. Takes less work to build and is pretty structurally sound too.

I'm thinking of applying for the Builder if it comes up and will DEFIANTLY be going for Mining Engineer if that ever makes it to a ranked position. For the foreseeable future though, I will offer my skills to our Supply Master and if I don't get the job then will work closely with our new ranked Architect /Building Lady/Lord. Plans, oh Goddess do I have plans....

*goes and plans some more.*

Hee hee hee... Who wants to form a chain gang? *grin*
Meska369
Dragon of the Nether

Location: When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. - Mark Twain

Postby Hetros on Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:07 pm

o.o
*runs and hides at the old forge*
Hetros
Dragon of the Nether

Postby tanarill on Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:31 pm

[looks at Meska] I can see that someone knows his (or her?) historical building techniques. Thirty-foot-thick castle walls were built the same way. They built two three-five foot thick stone walls and filled the area between with packed rubble, dirt, and mortar. Every few vertical feet they'd lay a thin course of stone, for structural rigidity and to ensure that the wall was straight. So even if the local stone is soft, we will still be able to make use of it.

I agree that we should not make it possible to sap our own fortress. We need to find out what kins of stone we're dealing with, sandstone or granite of mica or what.

If we need to go farther afield, then we should in addition set up something like ancient Egyptian pyramid-stone haulers competition. The pyramid-workers were all free, but the principal is the same: they had friendly competition going to see who could bring the most twelve-ton blocks of stone to the pyramid site in a day. The Egyptians did not use wheels, only sledges and sweat, so the fact that they laid around 300 stones per day is impressive. We could offer a carrot, like an extra work shift off, to the team that brings in the most stone on any given day. Of course, we'd be using wheels as well.

As for the ruins/wall idea . . . I personally think it is more important to get the ruins fixed, and have a defensible home. As I see it, it already has pretty good fields of fire (from the pictures) and it was probably built originally to be very defensible. Indeed, the sheer number of stairs make it look like rushing the fortress is supposed to be very exhausting. Coupled with a few of the nastier setups from Eurpoean and Japanese castle gatehouses, we could probably make this thing well-nigh unassailable.

I'm having fun talking about these Plans.

EDIT: Spelling and grammar only.
Last edited by tanarill on Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tanarill
Summoner

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Postby Serantis on Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:01 pm

Cool now draw up some drafts for the wall and such :3
And im already part of Quels chain gang sorry }:3
Serantis
Demon

Postby Meska369 on Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:06 pm

wall sketches.....

*pulls out her drawing stuff and prays her skills have not decreased*

Ok, I WILL!

*evil grin*

I think I will do some basic structural ones and then worry about flourishes later... So no gripping about how they look for now.

*winks at Tanarill*

I'm a her. VERY her. *Chuckles*

My dad is a General Contractor and builds things like Skyscrapers and certain hurricane/fire/earthquake/tornado/blast resistant buildings. I grew up spending most of my free time on his sites and can pretty much build anything I want given the materials and time. *hugs her dad* I was the son my Dad always wanted... Tomboys. Who knew? Oh and I DO love power tools...*sinister grin* though a good stone drill or hand planer for wood have places in my heart.

At least we will not throw our dead into the wall... too wasteful and it's not like we need to hide the amount of people who die building OUR wall. Nope, no ones dies because the Ill'Haress has not given them leave to do so and if they DO then "I" will resurrect their sorry butts and kill them over again for all the headache they will have caused.
Meska369
Dragon of the Nether

Location: When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. - Mark Twain

Postby Tohya on Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:21 pm

While building two walls and filling the space between with rubble makes it easy to build impressive looking fortifications. We would have to deal with earth sorcery or mana powered siege engines. Not to mention the dwarves, who use cannons, against which medieval walls are ineffective. Drow walls are likely to be of solid stone construction, made from the hardest stone available and using the largest blocks that can be transported to the site. Then reinforced with multiple levels of wards to make dispelling difficult, though we can't do this yet.
Tohya
Vel'akar

Postby Meska369 on Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:45 am

Yes, that will happen in the future.... but we do not have that kind of time on our hands. I'm simply putting out a reasonably easy way of constructing a wall that will act as a temporary fortification.

Once we have established ourselves more, then we can build the more solid wall inside the temp one and then reuse the first walls materials in building other structures that we need in the future. Waste not, want not.
Meska369
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Hetros on Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:01 am

The Egyptians may have been free, but they were competing with the stone hard belief that they'd get a special place in the afterlife alongside their god (Osiris in the Afterlife... Egyptian mythos makes my brain hurt by the way, even if it is awesome), we don't have that advantage... and we're in a cave, a really freaking solid one too considering it's size and the shear rigidity the rock must have to keep from collapsing despite the massive tonnage above it.

as for the current walls... we are just not going to have to deal with that kind of fire power yet... not unless this is an old dwarvish castle, or we manage to PO a fairly large clan in the next few days.
Hetros
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Lordof??? on Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:37 am

If you are building a temporary clay wall you do need to build it in bricks to help it set properly. Also having something to help bind it together (Eg hair, grass, fabric etc.) will help improve its overall strength and also makes it quite resistant to earthquakes and impacts.

The good part about clay is that we would not have to worry about erosion as much since there is no rainfall.
Lordof???
Summoner

Postby Meska369 on Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:44 am

Well I was actually thinking of some case walls with rubble/sand/clay/fiberous bits in the midde... Kind of a pressed earth structure. Once the inside bits dry, the thing is pretty darn unbreakable.

Now remember, this is for patrols and the like to keep a good eye on things and to act as a alarm system, not just a wall. I don't plan on building the great wall O'ourclan. I plan to start small and then scale up as needed untill we can put up permanent fortifications. But I digress.

If the fortress SEEMS to be ok without one, then we may not need it, but I am uneasy with anyone getting a shot at the base of the fortress at all and it is pretty well exposed as it is now.

Now remember this will not be up today, tomorrow or even a week from now. It is pure speculation with a bit of planning for foreseeable events in the future.
Meska369
Dragon of the Nether

PreviousNext

Return to Community Centre