The heart of Ther'avare! Join in the conversations and make yourself known amongst your clan, and participate in its life, culture, and art!

LA: Epilogue 3, real estate choices

Postby Kail'odian on Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:48 pm

***EDIT:*** Name of thread will change every time there is a new update. Or at least I'll try to do that. :3 ************************
Last edited by Kail'odian on Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:47 pm, edited 310 times in total.
Kail'odian
Vel'akar

Clan: Sharen

Postby kirio on Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:00 pm

Like I said in the shout box: Q's comment was appropriate to an over optimistic and inexperienced soldier.

Yes, I know we don't know about the slaves, yet. I don't think anyone else has forgotten that, either.

I hinted that it would be nice for the scout to send us a message (and get some reinforcements), but he's confident that he has the situation in hand, so we'll just have to wait and see how he decides to handle it.

Arena slave: hmm, it wasn't the knife but the referance to the pit that made me agree that he is probably a gladiator. Maybe I read too much into that comment?

At any rate, even if there are no gladiators among the slaves, it doesn't mean they would be push overs if it came to using force. A slave more than twice the age of our scout is likely to be very experienced in street fighting. However, an offer to work as a slave for a benevolent master will seem like a good deal to one who has been badly abused. Having new masters would also be a protection from being recaptured by their previous master while also providing a haven from the wilderness. Possession is 90% of the law seems to be the rule for slaves in this world. An offer of humane treatment and safty would probably be enough to earn their conditional loyalty.

3 feeding 177 is credible, but Katralya still hasn't addressed the problem of everyone just eating whatever they catch right away (as was mentioned in the last panel of the previous comic). Shouldn't we be setting up for cooking and drying fish for storage instead of eating the entire catch as soon as it's pulled from the water? Sure, everyone is hungry, but right now some are eating their fill while others are surely going hungry. Will we have anything but algae cakes to feed the scout team when they return?
Something else, it's beneath the dignity of the Il'haress to have to pull her own meal out of a net. Has anything been done to see that she is served food in a mannor befitting her rank?
kirio
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby Hetros on Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:51 pm

ummmm... I agree with the preparing the food so it'll last, but as to giving it the Il'haress in a special way... I'm not sure I agree, it's not that she doesn't deserve it, and it's not just because I don't think we should worry about the presentation of food (seriously, that can wait), but because i just seriously doubt the Il'haress would want us to go through all that trouble just on her account when we could be being more productive in some other manner.
Hetros
Dragon of the Nether

Postby kirio on Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:20 pm

All that is most likely true (especially the part about her not wanting us to trouble ourselves to give her special treatment), Hetros, but it is also our duty to help build up her sense of leadership. She is already suffering from self-doubt because of the pressures of leadership. An appropriate demonstration of respect for her dignity is good medicine for the doubts that gnaw at her. If we treat her as a leader of a great clan, it will help her to become a great leader. These courtesies are more important to An'jhali than they are for a confidant and well established Il'haress like Quain'tana, Ash'waren, or Shimi'lande and nearly as important as they are for one whose position is threatened by politics like Waes'soloth or even Zala'ess.

In fact, it is because she does not feel that it is her right to be treated this way that she needs and will benefit from such kind consideration.

As Ves'xile says, "She is our Il'haress. That should be reason enough!"
kirio
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby suntiger745 on Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:57 pm

I agree with kirio's argument about treating the Ill'haress like, well, an Ill'haress.

While some of the slaves might know how to fight, I don't quite follow the logic how a slave that has seen two centuries or so "automatically"/likely would be skilled at street fighting.

Also, I say we should offer them membership in the clan in exchange for loyalty, not simply make them our slaves.
I think it's likely they would try and fight us, to the death probably, rather than be captured and enslaved again.

Which should make them all the more loyal when offered freedom.
suntiger745
Kern's minion

Clan: Sarghress

Postby kirio on Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:13 pm

Oh, I wouldn't say automatically, but the guy with the knife may know how to use it. That combined with sheer numbers and despiration makes for a potentially dangerous situation. I also think that the only one who has the right to offer total strangers clan membership is the Il'haress herself. She might ask us how we feel about such an offer, but the ultimate decision should be hers.
kirio
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby suntiger745 on Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:26 pm

Agreed. :)
suntiger745
Kern's minion

Clan: Sarghress

Postby Hetros on Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:55 pm

so what we're saying here is that we need the scouts to return, report on the slaves... possibly leaving someone there to keep an eye on them... the others tell the Il'haress the news, she makes a decision.
And you have me converted here on the making her feel like an Il'haress... I think we all know who wants to be the guy to be her man servent*glances at Assam/Nihogg*
Hetros
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Zorlond on Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:08 pm

So possibly the best plan for the scouts would be a quiet retreat to report? Leaving one or two near the ruins to monitor, of course. (note, near, not inside)

And yeah, we definitely want to start building up a store of food. I would like at least 10 fishermen working, preferably 15 or so. Plus another 5 or so to collect algae for baking, as a side-dish for the fish. We could also do with increasing our store of fresh water, but I have no idea if that's even possible. We'd need bottles to hold it in, after all...

Part of my action for next page is setting up a benchtest for how long baked algae will keep fresh, too, so we may also want to work on a store of that too (which would take still more harvesters).

Note to Kern: I'm hoping my guesstimate numbers aren't too far off here...
Zorlond
Vel'akar

Postby Thorn on Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:34 pm

As to helping our leader gain her confidence, I think us being competant and useful under her rule (and a little "we did it because of you!" doesn't hurt either) would go a long way, much more than a gift basket would in my opinion.

A true leader feels they are doing well when his or her people do well, not how well they lavish him or her with gifts.

EDIT: Also on the part of the slaves, I agree that having our leader speak to the slaves might be the most imposing and useful. Afterall, a few scouts going "Hey work for us!" doesnt seem to be all that imposing.

Food wise, storage does seem to be the best option, preserving it to feed everyone would be the best bet. As feeding when you catch would keep us in a psuedo hunter scavenger like system.

If we can maintain order and get a large enough stockpile of fish and other assortment of goodies, we should be able to keep everyone fed.
Thorn
Demon

Postby Meska369 on Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:44 am

I would think the Alge would be the staple with bugs/fish/whatever is in the river being sides. You don't want to over fish, but Alge grows lightning fast and keeps REALLY...REALLY well over time. Bake it, store it. Oh, and bitter boil can be cured with water changes like when cooking Lotus root. You have to change the water more then 3 times to make it palatable.

As for seasoning... SALT! Easy to get... Oh and fish flakes... ummmm Spices... We will need to look farther in the ruins to see if any got "lost" in the exidus/killing spree. Not many killers stop and pick up cooking spices on thier way out. Maybe even the runaways have some.

Speaking of the slaves.

It's high time they stopped being so. I would encourage us to try and recruit them to our clan in exchange for safety with us and a share of our food as full members.

We can change thier appearance easy enough to fool any "masters" that might come along. Change the clothing, Dye the hair etc. That would help thier cause out.

The two groups can learn from each other and any information they have about the area and city will prove VERY usefull.

Also, "capturing" and threating them with bodaly/mental/emotional harm or return to thier masters will NEVER give you what you want. "You get more flies with Honey then with vineger..", goes the saying.

I think this would also be a great start as a "clan" to gather new people regaurdless of thier walk of life. then again, I'm a dreamer.
Meska369
Dragon of the Nether

Location: When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. - Mark Twain

Postby Lady Tenkage on Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:02 am

Just to voice my opinion, I don't think any "real leader" would ever really feel they were qualified for the job. Which is why we have to help her as much as we can. After all, isn't it our actions that will help shape our clan and our Ill'Haress? Now, I do think a token gesture in her honor would be greatly appreciated, but I don't think we need to go as far as specially preparing the food. We have limited enough resources, as is, so I don't think we should go wasting them by making the Ill'Haress a fancy meal of what little we've found.

What if we simply offered the first serving to her? So that she could taste the fruits of our labors, before we did? (I hope this comes out right.) It's a simple, token gesture to her out of respect, and I think it would more appreciated than preparing her a fancy meal. But.... That's just this lowly newbie's opinion.

As to the slave issue, sounds like everyone has the right idea about it, so I really have nothing to input, on that.
Lady Tenkage
Demon

Postby Thorn on Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:24 am

That sounds like a good and simple solution, let her have the first offering. Its honorable but not over the top.

Also freeing the slaves would be a good way to start, I would support that. Need every hand we can get.
Thorn
Demon

Postby kirio on Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:01 am

:roll:
I wasn't referring to "gift wrapped" dinner on "silver platter". I meant that she should be spared having to line up in a first come first served fashion like the rest of us are right now (since we have no organized food distribution system at the moment). As leader she has enough worries to deal with without the additional aggravation of standing in line hungry. The courtesy of fetching her meals for her acknowledges her role as leader of the clan. She can't fulfill her responsibilities if she's destracted by hunger or busy scrabbling for food like the rest of us. Egalitarianism is a fine thing, but not when taken to extremes that interfere with the efficient division of labor, authority, and responsibility.
We also need to prepare and set aside food for the scouts. They are going to be hungry when they return.

Has anyone really stopped to consider what the consequences of not having slaves in this world at this time means? There are no washing machines, dish washers, microwaves, vacuums, (we have no running water nor will have for quite some time), telephones, tractors, tillers, fork lifts, (we can't afford draft animals), postal service, or delivery service. Someone is going to have to do all of those boring and enormously time consuming chores by hand! What do you intend to pay this army of servants? There is no coinage of a value less than a week's worth of unskilled labor. Even poor merchants keep one or two household slaves to take care of things that modern humans have electronic devices to preform. The economy is still very much pre-industrial in nature. We do not have the wealth or skill to run our clan with golems like the Beldrobbaen do, nor do we have the the wealth or skills to create 'artificial' slaves like the Jaal'darya have.

begin rant
Putting realism aside, let's consider our responsibility as players to stay within the world setting beyond the mere technicalities. If you insist on bringing the morals and sensibilities of modern human culture into the story, you will, without a shadow of a doubt, create a story of modern humans that look like and have the abilities of drow transplanted to the drow world. The members of the clan were not born and raised in any modern human society. To behave as if they were is a grotesque violation of story-telling consistancy and transforms the drama of a newly forming clan into a comedic farce so badly concieved as to be irredeemably boring.
end rant
kirio
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Meska369 on Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:16 am

*sweatdrop*

Huh?

I'm not saying to do away with slavery.

now, who is talking about trying to free up all the slaves? I was just refuring to THESE guys . *points to the slaves in the ruins*

Not the rest of them... now maybe, in the future, on a case by case basis other slaves might be brought into the clan.. but that is more of a phylosophical debate then a here and now one.

*is suddenly struck by the modern day immigration laws in her own country and how simular they are to that line of thought.*

I mean Clanship is NOT a given but can be given to the right people at the right times. THIS so happenes to be the "right" time... let us hope these are the right people.

==========

I think a Warm dinner with any salts and spices we can scrounge up would be a good moral boost for our Lady. It's been a crappy time for all and now SHE gets the full focus of our hopes, dreams, anger, dissapointment, survival or demise.

I wonder if I can give her a Spa massage? Manacure and Pedicure... maybe a facial too!
Meska369
Dragon of the Nether

Location: When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. - Mark Twain

Next

Return to Community Centre