Tei'kaliath clan discussion and announcements.

Re: FAQs: Path to Power! Ask your questions here!

Postby Raziel on Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:50 am

I'm gretly intrested in adding a character in this game and since i missed out on the first time this happend i hope that this chance will be different. I know about all the other things that needed to be done but i"m still a little unshoure about the biogrephy patr on the Forem.
Here is a sample please let me know about any changes that need to be done:

Name: Kilsek
Ocupation: Slaver, Mostly cartaker of and traner for Riding lizerds.
Hair: Dark greyish and long sholderwith in the back with Green hi-lights (Thought it was fitting sinse he took care of the Riding Lizerds)
Eyes: Narrow with dark purple colering, Goth makeup around eyes
Bild: Tall and strong, notacabl muscles
Personality: Clever and eseygoing not very combative but will do must be done. Has phobia of neddles like instraments.

Bio: Kilsek is a slaver but in name onley. he is one who does what he needs to do in order to survive and so that his frends survive as well. As head of the riding lizards he taks care of them and is in charge if there are and riding requierments for a particular misshon as he is the most knolagabal in riding them. He has no quarls with others but will gladley defend his comrads who ever they may be. in battle this becomes aperant as he will become a ferce fighter even though he knows and regrets herting others he will do whatever he must do for he and his frends to stay alive. Though Kilsek was indeed involved in the battle he was called opon becaus the leader required more men though he was more intrasted in protecting the riding lizards. During the battle he sustaned multibal sword wounds and broke his leg and ankle when the bilding they took cover in fell on them.
While under the healers care he coroperated with all the healers and posed no trubal exept being a nerves wreck when his wounds were being stiched up. He quicley became popular with the nurses not onley because of his looks and personality but also with regaling them with tales with all the places that he has been and things he's seen while traveling with the slavers.
In his meating with the Illheress he senserley expreses his regret for her clans losses and askes for forgiveness and that his comrades not suffer.
Raziel
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby Kir'ima on Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:37 am

Hi, Raziel, and welcome. :)

If you want to play one of the injured slavers, you need to post in the Healers' thread and let them know ASAP so that someone can vouch for you. Look at what Hermil is doing for a good example.

Once that is done you can register your character description in the RP registration thread for roleplay.

But first, be sure to quickly ask the Healers to support you - There is not much time left!
Kir'ima
the scout

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby Raziel on Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:02 am

(Bow)
Thank you ... Very much!
Raziel
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Thalar on Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:25 pm

Raziel wrote: He quicley became popular with the nurses not onley because of his looks and personality but also with regaling them with tales with all the places that he has been and things he's seen while traveling with the slavers.

The healers are not NPCs, they are all player characters. So you are not allowed to say they like your character, because that's like forcing them through actions they don't necessarily approve of. You don't know the healers and thus you don't know how they react to your character. You're free to say your character told stories in the hope of making friends with the healers, but you can't say whether it worked or not because that is the decision of the players, not you. Okay? :)
That is not dead which may eternal lie, and with aeons even death may die.

Tar'shay Nimaraidh Tei'kaliath, on a boat, throwing things on the ground
Elif Nimaraidh Tei'kaliath, Colony Administrator, Tei'kaliath Prime Healer and Phantom Summoner
Thalar
Melon Berserker

Clan: Jaal'darya

Postby kirio on Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:42 pm

Well, Thalar, he did go over and immediately try to do exactly as he claimed (after the fact *doh* ). And he does seem to have charmed Bel'xullyn at least. :P
Mana allows us to feel our connection to the world through the elements. Become one with that which thou wouldst change and the magic becomes effortless.
Cloudless Mind
kirio
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Thalar on Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:02 pm

kirio wrote:Well, Thalar, he did go over and immediately try to do exactly as he claimed (after the fact *doh* ). And he does seem to have charmed Bel'xullyn at least. :P

Yes, but there's a huge difference between stating the effect of his storytelling-attempt beforehand, and noting its effect after it has actually happened. The first version doesn't allow the other players to react to it at all, and they are forced into a situation where they either say "this never happened", or have to go along with his version. When it is played out, they have a chance to decide for themselves what their characters do and say, and how they react, if at all.

Elif Nimaraidh Tei'kaliath, Colony Administrator, Tei'kaliath Prime Healer and Phantom Summoner
Thalar
Melon Berserker

Postby kirio on Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:37 pm

Thalar wrote:Yes, but there's a huge difference between stating the effect of his storytelling-attempt beforehand, and noting its effect after it has actually happened. The first version doesn't allow the other players to react to it at all, and they are forced into a situation where they either say "this never happened", or have to go along with his version. When it is played out, they have a chance to decide for themselves what their characters do and say, and how they react, if at all.

I'm not disagreeing with you. There's also the point that his story in the Healer's thread was way too rushed. If he had RPed his appeal more naturally there first, he would have had a much nicer tale to tell here, too. I hope he goes back and edits it to match what he's actually done, at least. :(
Mana allows us to feel our connection to the world through the elements. Become one with that which thou wouldst change and the magic becomes effortless.
Cloudless Mind
kirio
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Thalar on Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:34 pm

kirio wrote:
Thalar wrote:Yes, but there's a huge difference between stating the effect of his storytelling-attempt beforehand, and noting its effect after it has actually happened. The first version doesn't allow the other players to react to it at all, and they are forced into a situation where they either say "this never happened", or have to go along with his version. When it is played out, they have a chance to decide for themselves what their characters do and say, and how they react, if at all.

I'm not disagreeing with you. There's also the point that his story in the Healer's thread was way too rushed. If he had RPed his appeal more naturally there first, he would have had a much nicer tale to tell here, too. I hope he goes back and edits it to match what he's actually done, at least. :(

I agree :) But considering the deadline for getting vouches is tonight it's understandable.

Thalar
Melon Berserker

Postby Bamawing on Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:20 pm

Hello! Please pardon my NOOBness, but I've been on PtP for 2 days and my head is swimming. Don't worry, though, the water is warm and pleasant... and not *that* kind of warm. XD I've got about a zillion questions. A lot of them have to do with what subscribers are allowed to do now as opposed to what they were allowed to do a while back. Please don't think I'm complaining.. it's really cool to see the kinks get worked out and the changes get made! :)

1. I had no idea at all that the forum was up. In fact, it took me several seconds to realize that it wasn't the "standard" DT forums! Or is it the standard DT forums? Can I get to the forums through the "main forum" page?

2. Along the same lines, I'm a little confused as to which is the "real" log-in. It seems like I have one login for the forums, including this one, and a seperate login for the actual game.

3. Do both comic archives update on the same day? If not, which one updates first?

4. I've got an idea of a character. *wee* I've even got a reason she's been silent thus far. (I wasn't really expecting an RPG on top of the comic. Sweet! ^^) The way I understand it (which may be waaaaaaaaay off base), I DO name my character (unlike when PtP first got started), post her in the RP forums, and go from there. Am I right?

4a. Does she need to be approved?

4b. Just to be clear: I'm pretty sure that I can name/draw her. ;) Please circle the correct answer about what the chances are that I'll see her in the comic: A) Her name will appear when she's recruited for a group, and if I'm lucky, a picture might pop up as well (no guarentees). B) Chances are slim that I'll ever see her picture in the comic, but I might see her name if I get lucky. C) Name? Group? Picture? Only ranked members get that, hon. Sign up for a group, pay the added fee, and then we'll talk.

4c. Just in case A or B is true, are the non-ranked members the cute little faceless drow that show up in the background? And does this mean that her clothing and hair will be honored?

5. Am I correct in assuming that most of the action goes on in the RP forums? Based on those actions, I get to vote, and the artist/storyteller draws the result of that vote?

5a. I only get to vote in the Leader archive... right?

I have more questions (yes, I know), but I'll take this one step at a time. ^^; Thanks in advance!
Bamawing
Vel'akar

Postby Thalar on Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:44 pm

1. It's part of the standard forums, you should be able to see it when you log in as normal. But you need to have the Path to Power cookie (which you get from logging in to Path to Power) in order to see it. :)

2. Yes, game login and forum login is not the same, although they are linked somehow. You need to be logged in to the game to be able to view/post here.

3. Event archive updates before the Leader archive, and the vote deadlines for both are two days apart. Ranked actions (and votes) must be entered to the Event section before Tuesday night, whereas Leader vote options and votes must be finished before Thursday night. As a basic member all you have to worry about is the Thursday deadline. :) The pages are posted as soon as they are completed, after the artist gets the script.
Both pages happen basically at the same time though.

4. The Roleplay section is completely separate from the actual game. In order to participate in the game, all you've really got to do is name her. (I'll post a pic at the bottom of this post illustrating it.) After that you can apply to become an assistant to any rank that is currently recruiting. Providing a visual reference is also a good idea, although not strictly necessary.
As for the Roleplay section, there you finally get to expand on your character. Have a look at the registration thread's first posts for further guidelines.

In the game, abilities are not tracked. You are assumed to have the abilities necessary to do the work you volunteer to do by signing up as an assistant.
In the Roleplay section, everything is tracked like in the DT rpg, but doesn't really come much into play there either.

4a. In order to roleplay in the Roleplay section; yes. In order to register in the game and become an assistant; no.

4b. (A) ^^ but with a side of B really. All the non-faceless characters (except for that one guest artist who drew the old guy and fat man, breaking the worldsetting in the process) you've seen in the manga are player characters. But the ranked are the only ones who are almost assured to show up, and even they are not guaranteed face time.
Assistants show up every now and then, this is a reward for signing up and participating in the clan's inner workings rather than just being passive viewers/readers.

4c. The faceless drow represent the clan members who haven't signed up for any job, and are left to the artist's discretion. If you provide a graphical reference for your character it will largely be honored, yes. No red eyes, no weapons and no armor will be shown, but the artist has generally been quite good at making our characters resemble their references.

5. No, that is incorrect. What happens on the forum is largely independent of what happens in the game itself. Especially in the Roleplay forum.
As for the general forums, it's a bit of both.
Each ranked member has a specific thread where s/he can discuss her actions or plan them together with her assistants, as well as getting suggestions or feedback from others. We also have discussions on the forum about what directions to take, and often voting options will be entered after such discussions.
You base your vote either on your personal opinion, or on the results of discussion on the boards, but that is entirely up to you.

5a. That is correct, as long as you're a basic member. But you can also insert your own vote option in the Leader archive, although I advise looking at the existing options first. ^^

oops, almost forgot the pic.

Thalar
Melon Berserker

Postby kirio on Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:21 pm

I see Thalar took care of this while I was typing so I'll just post the 'fluff' from my answers.

Bamawing wrote:4. I've got an idea of a character. *wee* I've even got a reason she's been silent thus far. (I wasn't really expecting an RPG on top of the comic. Sweet! ^^) The way I understand it (which may be waaaaaaaaay off base), I DO name my character (unlike when PtP first got started), post her in the RP forums, and go from there. Am I right?

Actually, you COULD name your character from the very beginning of P2P. If you want to be hired as an assistant, or become a ranked character, you MUST name your character. That name (and any description you add) have to be entered into the (Character Desc.) section of the P2P Main page. If you also add a picture of your character, Reza will draw your character in the comic IF you are at least an assistant and the story touches on what your character's boss is having he or she do.

Bamawing wrote:4a. Does she need to be approved?

Technically, no. But the character design must fit within the P2P setting as Thalar said.
However, if you want to join an RP in the forum you must submit your character design (in the proper format) in the Character Registration thread in the Role Playing forum section of the P2P forums, so that it can be checked over by the monitor Madea.

Bamawing wrote:4b. Just to be clear: I'm pretty sure that I can name/draw her. ;) Please circle the correct answer about what the chances are that I'll see her in the comic: A) Her name will appear when she's recruited for a group, and if I'm lucky, a picture might pop up as well (no guarentees). B) Chances are slim that I'll ever see her picture in the comic, but I might see her name if I get lucky. C) Name? Group? Picture? Only ranked members get that, hon. Sign up for a group, pay the added fee, and then we'll talk.

I answered this above, but it's actually a little better than A) if you sign up to be an assistant to a ranked character since there is a very good chance the character will appear in the Events Archive at the time the hiring gets approved (providing you posted a picture for Reza in the Character Desc. on the Main Page).

Bamawing wrote:4c. Just in case A or B is true, are the non-ranked members the cute little faceless drow that show up in the background? And does this mean that her clothing and hair will be honored?

The cute little faceless drow are P2P members who are not registered as assistants to a ranked member. Every assistant so far is drawn with a face because all of us have a picture posted on the Main Page. At the beginning non-assistants who had posted a picture were drawn with faces but now the only character that is not an assistant that is drawn with a face is Suntiger's LI'Temaal who is the kid that runs around with the Ill'haress. This is probably due to the fact that she is the only character with a drawing who is not any ranked member's assistant at this time.

Bamawing wrote:5. Am I correct in assuming that most of the action goes on in the RP forums? Based on those actions, I get to vote, and the artist/storyteller draws the result of that vote?

Nearly all of the action is based on the voting. Kern does read the shout box occasionally and add things form there. But he only sometimes refers to discussions in the forums and then only if they are directly related to a vote option. He also browses the Images and tattoos thread which is how Ankiseth's joke got into the comic (it was a parody comic Jeriah had drawn). I don't think he reads the RPs at all. At the beginning, he said flat out he was going to ignore the forums, but he has mellowed since. If something from the forums appears in the comic, it is a matter of luck. First that Kern saw it (He's real busy and only skims if he looks at all). And second, he liked it and it fits with what he is doing in the comic at the moment.

Bamawing wrote:5a. I only get to vote in the Leader archive... right?

Unless you get a ranked position, that is correct. However, the ranked members each maintain a thread for ideas and suggestions. You can post in them and try to persuade the ranked member to add or change their Events Archive action.
Cloudless Mind
kirio
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Bamawing on Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:26 pm

Yay!! Thank both of y'all so much. :huggles around: This really is significantly more than I expected. (Woot! she gets a FACE! *wee* ) I'll work on my character, and then I'll feel able to ask a bunch of more questions when I can say "<insert name here>" instead of "my character."

/me beedebops over to Rinkworks to get up a nice character name. *wee*
Bamawing
Vel'akar

Postby Raziel on Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:21 am

Hello again. ^^; Unfortunatly it looks like "Kilsek," was killed off. *crying* *crying* *crying* A shame, some good work for being rushed, he mite have made an impact. Oh well, shedding tears for the dead is in the end completly usless. Though it was sagested that I make a new Tel'kaliath refugee character insted. I alredy have an idea and wish to offer her to the scouting section. Is there anything spacific that I have to do differently?
Raziel
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby kirio on Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:53 am

Well, he wasn't killed. He just can't be a PC. Your basic character concept was OK, you just missed the deadline. For the Tei'kaliath refugees, you may only be a drowlath and must be a commoner (but being from a wealthy house is OK) between the ages of 30 (15 human) and 125. Browse the Tei'kaliath Census to see what everyone else has done. The links in the Census are to sheets of characters approved for the RPs. You can get ideas there, too. Above in this thread Thalar has a graphic and a description of what you need to do if you want to work as an assistant to a ranked member and improve your character's chance of getting in the comic.
Cloudless Mind
kirio
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Kir'ima on Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:33 am

Raziel wrote:Though it was sagested that I make a new Tel'kaliath refugee character insted. I alredy have an idea and wish to offer her to the scouting section. Is there anything spacific that I have to do differently?

Right now the Scouts have a full six people. Rotun'mir is assigned to the Harvesters for the time being and I do not know how long it will be until she can officially join us, so I may hire one more, but I'm not sure. In any case we will probably recruit again in the future, so you might join another profession for now to start helping the clan, and then let me know if you are still interested when the Scouts do hire again.
Kir'ima
the scout

PreviousNext

Return to Path to power