Private forum for Relic Hunter players.

Missing Actions

Missing Actions

Postby Runes » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:47 am

I have been discussing the issue of missing actions with Jaibyrd, and this is what we came up with.

1. The GM will 'tell the story' for one turn. Squad members simply have to send the GM a PM affirming that they vote for whatever the GM decides to do with them, which means they'd still have to vote normally to pass the GM action.

2. Each squad leader names a second, then we can easily switch out the leader position to the second in the squad to allow them to post an action normally, in case the squad leader is MIA! Or if the squad leader simply falls off (due to subscription troubles perhaps), we can reform the squad with that person as squad leader, and they can PM us an action and the rest of the squad PMs the votes.

Which of these two options do you favour? I would ask that a second is named in any case, however, so we can easily reform squads in case the squad leaser does fall off.
Runes
Strawberry Ninja

Clan: Sharen

Re: Missing Actions

Postby Taruna » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:56 pm

I vote for the First one.

[Edit] I greatly dislike the idea of "reforming" the squad at any occasion. I think that's fighting the symptoms instead of the problem.

I for my part would more prefer a way to let the squad leaders (and maybe also the squad members) know that Relic hunters requires attention. Like a automated email when a new page is up. I understand there are artists working and no robots and thus the updates may be delayed or earlier at times, but my work simply prevents me from checking in every day. If not for a helpful angel, I would have missed way more actions then I already did, and believe a e-mail notification could have prevented this in 80% of the cases.
Taruna Tei'kaliath - Former Warmaster - 2nd Tir'ay Champ (Warr.)
Family
Nimaraidh
Because inside of everyone of us is a warrior
Whose courage is like a sword
But the biggest weapon is his heart
(Silbermond - Krieger des Lichts)
Taruna
Vel'akar

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby Runes » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:22 pm

If all squad leaders in my Campaign are willing to trust me with their email, I will gladly send out notifications as soon as I update the page myself.
Runes
Strawberry Ninja

Postby Writer » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:04 pm

I guess if we had to choose, I'd go with Option 1, simply because it's more convenient for the GM and allows he story to progress organically.

However, neither option truly seems to solve a core issue; that if a squad leader is unavailable unexpectedly, or forgets to update, we won't know this until near or after a deadline when that leader hasn't created an action for that turn. If the GM creates that action instead, the GM would still have to wait for the 4x other votes to come in. In my experience, getting all votes requires at least 24 hours, if not more... so what we're doing, really, is extending the deadline somewhat when someone fails to post a proper action. If we aren't, then I don't much see a point in either option, other than making it offical that on -announced- unavailability someone else will take over for the Squad Leader in creating the action.

A mailing list for everyone (not just the squad leaders) would be a good thing, in my opinion, both for when the comic updates and for when the action does. Not everyone checks their mail daily, but it'd help. As-is, I send PMs to those of my group who visit the forums regularly to update them on when I've created an action and when I've edited it.
Due'gar Tolmen Tei'Kaliath - A busy builder.

A day at work. - "I wish...Um. Nevermind."

Thoughts are like arrows: once released, they strike their mark. Guard them well or one day you may be your own victim. - Navajo proverb.
Writer
Vel'akar

Postby Runes » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:53 pm

Writer wrote:However, neither option truly seems to solve a core issue; that if a squad leader is unavailable unexpectedly, or forgets to update, we won't know this until near or after a deadline when that leader hasn't created an action for that turn. If the GM creates that action instead, the GM would still have to wait for the 4x other votes to come in.

If squad members are worrying that an action is simply not coming, they can preemptively send the votes to the GM, since they don't see the GM action anyway. I need squad members to be at least a little proactive about passing an action. If an action comes after all, then no worries, and if not, those preemptive votes will have ensured no missed turn. The problem is that as GMs we can't just give 'freebies' (unless it's a holiday or something and people are all over the place in general). We need to know that players care enough to get an action passed.
Runes
Strawberry Ninja

Postby Wraith of Shadow » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:17 pm

I would prefer the first option with one alteration: the deadline for the squad leader to post his option, and the squad to vote for it, are different. After the option deadline is reached it defaults to "GM's Choice", if still empty, and the rest of the squad can vote for that instead. Essentially this would allow the GM to know that a Squad Leader bugged out for whatever reason without penalizing the rest of the squad or slowing down the schedule. For example when a new page is put up the leader has 2 days to put up an option while the squad has up to two days after to vote (giving a total of 4 voting days). If all squads finish voting before the deadline votes can be closed early, etc. See what I mean?

Additionally, an email warning that a new page was up would be useful for some people. I know other webcomics have 'update alerts' and such, would something like that be possible for Relic Hunter? A voluntary list that sends an email whenever RH updates? Not everyone can check obsessively like I do... ^^;

Lastly giving the Leader the ability to name a second in case Paypal or some such bugs out on him is just a good idea. Even better if it was something in built to the system that happened automatically. Like if in the squad screen the member list had the leader at the top with the others spit off slightly underneath, and they each had an empty star symbol next to their name that the leader could click and name that one member as "second" (kinda like what Daydream has now with their voting options). The leader can only make one member a second for obvious reasons, but he can switch it easily if needed, and it'd be nice if the second was moved up automatically if the leader de-registers.

Just my two cents. :w
Relic Hunters: Daeron, of the Nal'Sarkoth team Moon-Touched Seekers, formally the leader of Anulon

Path to Power: Nel'Seer
Wraith of Shadow
Summoner

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby cdog21 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:47 pm

I would lean more towards option 1 if squad leaders are missing, but for me the problem of missed votes mainly comes from the fact that no one in my squad realizes that a new page has been posted or that an action is up or been modified. If it's been a while between updates, they really start to slack about checking in as often as possible.

I'm missing a vote now because my entire squad voted to alter the action and one of my team didn't check back in before the deadline came down.
If you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.
cdog21
Nether Seed

Clan: Sarghress

Postby Runes » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:18 pm

Well guys, like I said, if I get all your email addresses, I can always send a notification myself when a page is up.

If an action is altered and someone just forgets to check back, it's highly unlikely that even instant email notification will help there. If you were too busy to check RH, chances are you were too busy to check your email.

And let me just be perfectly clear, Jaibyrd and I are doing this as a big favour to you, to try and ensure less frustration for you. More voting time is not feasible, we do need to write those scripts in a timely manner. Again, we need player interaction no matter what we do in the case of missing actions. This is a team-based game, where participation really matters.
Runes
Strawberry Ninja

Postby Taruna » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:00 am

Runes wrote:If you were too busy to check RH, chances are you were too busy to check your email.

Actually, my email accounts are handled by a program that opens my business and private account at the same time. I am bound to open it on a daily base, so missing a email would be way less probable. :)

I will poke my squaddies to send you their email addresses now.
Taruna Tei'kaliath - Former Warmaster - 2nd Tir'ay Champ (Warr.)
Family
Nimaraidh
Because inside of everyone of us is a warrior
Whose courage is like a sword
But the biggest weapon is his heart
(Silbermond - Krieger des Lichts)
Taruna
Vel'akar

Return to Relic hunters