For discussions regarding White Radish animation projects, such as Cutethulhu and Pink Lemonade.

I have some questions.....

I have some questions.....

Postby Wizard_of_Shnoz » Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:50 am

I don't know if this is the right place for this sort of thread, but I have some questions.

How exactly are the little OVA's done here animated?
Do you use flash? or do you do it the old fashioned way? (Frame by frame, loads of drawings, very time consuming.)
Or is the procedure more complex?

Just curious, although I'm expecting Shawn to answer this, any animator will do.
Wizard_of_Shnoz
Summoner

Postby Shawn the Touched » Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:32 am

The older shorts such as The Item and Apprentice, as well as earlier work on Pink Lemonade, were animated partially on paper, coloured on computer in Photoshop, and composited in Premiere and After Effects. Midway through the production of Apprentice and Pink Lemonade, I abandoned paper entirely and began animating directly on computer using a Wacom tablet. After Apprentice, I started gradually switching more and more from Photoshop to Flash, and now I use Photoshop only for certain effects, and all animation is done in Flash.

I use limited animation in the same way that most anime or US TV animation does. Not every frame is a new drawing. Compositing is still done in Premiere and After Effects (mostly After Effects these days), and camera moves are done in After Effects. Sound is edited in Sound Forge and mixed in Premiere, and when all the shots are complete they are laid out on a timeline in Premiere, rendered out, and encoded to AVI or DVD-format MPEG-2. From there, they can be authored to DVD in an authoring program.
Shawn the Touched
Animator

Postby Wizard_of_Shnoz » Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:31 am

Ok...... :? so the procedure is more complex......

Anyway, aside from buying all the proper equipment, making an animation isn't really that expensive, it's only distribution and advertisement that really cost alot right? :?
Wizard_of_Shnoz
Summoner

Postby Shawn the Touched » Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:38 am

If you're doing it as a hobby, correct. The advertising, manufacturing, and possibly distribution would be the biggest expenses. But if it's your sole source of income, you have to factor in the cost of living.

Oh, and a little more info on the making of Cutethulhu. That one was animated entirely in Flash, and although my first release for it was on VHS, I animated it with online release in mind, which requires extra planning and careful coordination of assets. The sound was still edited and mixed as with the other ones. After the first release was done, I re-animated the camera moves in Flash, which I prefer not to do because they're limited by the speed of the overall movie, so they end up looking choppy at the frame rate I typically use.
Shawn the Touched
Animator

Postby Wizard_of_Shnoz » Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:14 am

Urg... sounds like alot of technical info needs to understood here.
Well I plan on going into a creative career either:
Game design (electronic or otherwise)
Animation/ cartooning
or if I'm really desperate Novel writing :roll:

Over the summer I shall:
1. Learn how to draw Manga (or any other cartoon)
2. Carry out my religous investigations
3. Act like a lazy sod, playing on my PC or sleeping for obscene amounts of time ,when not occupied with phase one and two :wink:
Wizard_of_Shnoz
Summoner

Postby Wizard_of_Shnoz » Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:24 pm

You mentioned something about using photoshop to colour in your work, how does that work? If it's anything like paint I can imagine it takes a really steady hand with the mouse.
Wizard_of_Shnoz
Summoner

Postby Shawn the Touched » Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:50 pm

It was mainly paint bucket work. The linework was either taken care of on paper in the past, or with the Wacom tablet as it is now. Using the mouse for drawings is not recommended.
Shawn the Touched
Animator

Postby Wizard_of_Shnoz » Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:08 am

Whats Wacom tablet?
Wizard_of_Shnoz
Summoner

Postby Shawn the Touched » Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:57 am

Shawn the Touched
Animator

Postby Wizard_of_Shnoz » Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:04 am

Oh..... that thing.
Wizard_of_Shnoz
Summoner

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:55 am

Another thing I noticed: Some of the Pink Lemonade backgrounds look as if they've been done in CGI, and that the characters have just been pasted on.... strange.

Postby Shawn the Touched » Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:30 am

Anonymous wrote:Another thing I noticed: Some of the Pink Lemonade backgrounds look as if they've been done in CGI, and that the characters have just been pasted on.... strange.

The backgrounds are mostly 3D. Some of the shots in the trailer were done with plane-mapped characters in a 3D environment. I'm avoiding that when possible, because it doesn't look good.
Shawn the Touched
Animator

Postby Bishounen_Taurus » Mon May 02, 2005 11:13 am

If i'm correct, you also used that in The Item trailer, right?
Also, what is the average cost of making an animation using the traditional paper method?
Bishounen_Taurus
Tik'tikki

Postby Shawn the Touched » Tue May 03, 2005 4:25 pm

Bishounen_Taurus wrote:If i'm correct, you also used that in The Item trailer, right?
Also, what is the average cost of making an animation using the traditional paper method?

There were 2 or 3 plane-mapped shots in The Item, and one of those was in the trailer, yes. I have better methods now, achieving better results, so you won't be seeing any more of that sort of thing.

I have no idea what the cost of paper-and-plastic animation would be these days. I never did it that way in the first place, and don't know who still might do it that way. I started animating just when it was becoming possible to not use cels at all.
Shawn the Touched
Animator

Postby Bishounen_Taurus » Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:54 pm

After looking at one of "The Item" screenshots (bunny with a lens flare emerging in her hand, close up), the line art looks quite pixelly.
When scanning in your line art (or drawing it using a tablet), do you make the line art pixelly? It would explain why your colouring is as easy as using the paint bucket.
Bishounen_Taurus
Tik'tikki

Next

Return to White Radish chat