For discussions regarding White Radish animation projects, such as Cutethulhu and Pink Lemonade.

Advise on animation methods

Advise on animation methods

Postby delpheus898 » Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:25 am

(edit) i got a responce!
Last edited by delpheus898 on Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
delpheus898
Tik'tikki

Postby Shawn the Touched » Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:29 pm

its movies like these that inspire me to do better with my horrible attempts at anime. i just wish i could...
im really interested in your anime, and i would like to figure out more about it.. like, how you do it, how much it pays.. ect... like, i want to know everything. sorry if that seems to demanding..

Well, you've petulantly removed your original message which twice I was in the process of responding to, but both times lost the response in browser accidents. You were asking for details, which normally take time to write along with all the other things going on. However, since your message still exists on my guestbook, I will provide a briefer response.

I recommend these books:

They will teach you the same methods I use in my animation in Flash.

An excellent book for learning the basics of classical animation is Preston Blair's Cartoon Animation, which is also available online here. (The site is down, but this link goes to a mirror from 2003). Chapter 2 is most useful.

I cannot recommend anything specific to refining your drawing style (not even knowing what it looks like), except to practise and use reference.

As an independent, it pays whatever you can get out of clients who want animation but never want to pay what it takes to get it, at least not without a struggle. It's a tough field.

I prefer not to talk on AIM except for business.
Shawn the Touched
Animator

Postby delpheus898 » Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:18 am

wow. a responce!

i got the basics of flash down, but i'll see where these links go.

as for money and suchs it sounds rough..

(if you could be so kind, do you think you could also give a more detailed responce, like into the more specific aspects of the feild?)
delpheus898
Tik'tikki

Postby Shawn the Touched » Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:28 am

delpheus898 wrote:i got the basics of flash down, but i'll see where these links go.
(if you could be so kind, do you think you could also give a more detailed responce, like into the more specific aspects of the feild?)

I'd need to know more specific questions, but I daresay anything you might ask me, you'd find explained better in the books I suggested. They are not "how to use Flash" books, but how to do character animation such as I do, in Flash. In fact, it's good that you already know the basics of Flash, because these books assume that you already have that basic understanding. They also won't teach you to animate (that's what the Preston Blair book is for), but will teach you how to apply your animation knowledge to the Flash environment. I consider these two books the best on the market for this purpose, and I've read plenty. You should be able to order these books from your local library through interlibrary loan, if you can't buy them.
Shawn the Touched
Animator

Postby delpheus898 » Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:53 am

alright. i'll take a look at them. thanks for the suggestions.
delpheus898
Tik'tikki

Return to White Radish chat