For discussions regarding White Radish animation projects, such as Cutethulhu and Pink Lemonade.

why all girls?

why all girls?

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:09 pm

hi. i wanted to know why all the characters in pink lemonade are girls?

Postby Shawn the Touched » Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:59 pm

I've already answered that question before, but aside from explaining the rather unimportant aspects of the background story, why shouldn't they be?
Shawn the Touched
Animator

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:27 am

well i havent seen the answer to that question yet so im completely oblivious

Postby Shawn the Touched » Wed Jul 07, 2004 1:47 am

It was actually in a response to one of the reviews of the PL opening vid that I mentioned this, but here it is in a more searchable environment.

The science background of this story:

In their galaxy, of course the sexes were originally more or less equal, until the advent of nanotechnology and the transcendence scenario. A greater percentage of males tended to use it to accumulate power, and eventually abandoned their bodies, became mental constructs, and expanded/transcended beyond contact. The ones that remained were the ones that didn't have those desires. People are transcending all the time, though, male and female, which helps keep the population down in a place where aging and death has been more or less eliminated.

But, that's not important, because it's not the focus of the story.
Shawn the Touched
Animator

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:03 pm

sooooooooooo technically they left their physical bodies and exist as somewhat of "ghosts" i guess i can say?

Postby Shawn the Touched » Wed Jul 07, 2004 1:20 pm

Not exactly. They've expanded so far, they've become one with the net, one with all knowledge of that alien race (if it were us, I'd say "all human knowledge"). They no longer really exist as individuals.
Shawn the Touched
Animator

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:04 pm

so they've become all knowing universal energy beings?

Postby Shawn the Touched » Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:44 am

I wouldn't go that far. In the early stages, they exist in the net as mental constructs, exact emulations of their original brains, tied to specific hardware. Normally, you'd retain your individuality that way, and you'd be the same person, more or less, able to pursue a perfectly normal social life in the VR net with other mental constructs, AIs, and normal people jacked into the net.

Even in the flesh, people in this society can implant memories, knowledge, or experience, usually through integrated wetware in the body, which can be recalled like any other memory in the brain. The difference is that with mental constructs, there is no actual limit to the knowledge, information, and memories you can acquire in this way -- it's all software at this point. Additionally, there's no real need to make a separate copy of the information ("information" from here on refers to all forms, including knowledge and memories) to store on your own hardware -- you can simply link the knowledge dynamically from its original location to your own virtual mind. Once you do that, the new you exists spread out over multiple physical locations, but acts as a single entity.

People start to lose themselves when they continue spreading themselves out like this, not only linking to existing information, but leaving modules of their own mental constructs in different physical locations, for one reason or another (better optimisation, speed, or capacity, for instance). They are something quite different from humanoid, or even emulation of humanoid, at this point.

The final nail in the coffin, so to speak, is when they abandon the limitation of a single thread of consciousness to pursue information simultaneously in multiple areas. At first, they can and do maintain relations with old friends, able in this state to converse with more than one simultaneously. But their preoccupation becomes greater and greater over time (usually years), until eventually they stop responding at all. Their constructs are spread out so widely, that only they themselves could know of all the links. At that point, you could simply say that they are the information in the net.

They are, however, dependant on the existence of the net to exist themselves. But parts of the net go up and down and change all the time, just as individual neurons and wiring in our brain changes. Without the net, they probably wouldn't exist anymore, except as potential entities which would exist again if the net were restarted.

Adding to the complexity is that this goes on with more than one person at a time, and many people are linked to the same information. It becomes a collective mind, wherein the ex-individuals no longer know, nor care, where one ends and the other begins.

As I've said before, though, this is only backstory. It's not important to the plot. Pink Lemonade is about the relationships and drama between Jadie, Misty, Pepper, and Pickle.
Shawn the Touched
Animator

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 09, 2004 4:26 pm

but why would all the men do this and not not women?... know what, forget it. BACKSTORIES UNIMPORTANT!... sorta... *sweatdrop*

Postby Shawn the Touched » Sat Jul 10, 2004 9:54 am

I didn't say all the men. Just a higher percentage. There are males in the PL universe. You just won't see them often. They are not the focus of the story. It would be like reading 101 Dalmations and wondering where all the pandas are.

In fact, there is one minor character not mentioned on the main site, who's a boddhisattva, which in this context is someone who's partially transcended into the net collective mind, but has made a special effort to stay tied to the body and/or communication in order to help others. And she's female. So you see, it's not just males who do this, and it's not necessarily a bad thing.

As for why it's more often done by males...just look at history. I don't have time for a real-world history or psychology lesson here.
Shawn the Touched
Animator

Postby vashapocalypse » Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:51 am

If I was in such a universe, I would not do such a thing, I mean really, there is a crap load of hot women! :shock:
vashapocalypse

Postby Shawn the Touched » Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:30 am

vashapocalypse wrote:If I was in such a universe, I would not do such a thing, I mean really, there is a crap load of hot women! :shock:

LOL... There is even a reason why just about everyone is attractive. With their level of technology, anyone can modify her body to look however she wants. So you won't see any of those all-too-common instances in anime where one character makes fun of another character's breast size. In Pink Lemonade, if a character has small breasts, it's because she prefers them that way (or just doesn't care). Ditto for any other physical attribute.
Shawn the Touched
Animator

lemme get this straight....?

Postby Wizard_of_Shnoz » Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:14 am

So what ur saying is that the greater part of the male population, has had there persona's stretched across the net to such an extent that they have ceased to exist as we know it. And since there are virtually no more guys... the girls have all become.... well..... homosexual. Don't get me wrong, my hat is off to you for thinking of such an original setting. But well it's not something everyone would find acceptable. (Including me) Not to say That I don't like it, it sounds like a great romance story, and I would like to see how it turns out, but I can't help but grimace everytime Misty makes out with Jadie.
Wizard_of_Shnoz
Summoner

Re: lemme get this "straight....?"

Postby Shawn the Touched » Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:13 pm

Wizard_of_Shnoz wrote:And since there are virtually no more guys... the girls have all become.... well..... homosexual. But well it's not something everyone would find acceptable. (Including me) Not to say That I don't like it, it sounds like a great romance story, and I would like to see how it turns out, but I can't help but grimace everytime Misty makes out with Jadie.

Now, there is a subtle distinction between what I said, and what you said. All of this explanation was to tell why you won't be seeing many (possibly any) guys. But do not think of the characters as otherwise straight people who are forced to be gay. There are some straight characters in this story that you will see, but they're not the focus of the story, and in most cases it won't even be obvious. There's nothing stopping straight people from pursuing their preferences here and going to find a guy somewhere, or romancing a male AI in the net, or even an android. But again, that won't be happening with our main characters here. Hell, they could even use the technology cited above to change their bodies into masculine form, but they don't. Why bother? What would the point be?

You can think of it as a time of more enlightened sexuality, such as in ancient Greece, before the rise of Christianity.

Your comments seem to be of two minds, and I'm not sure what you're objecting to. You say you don't find it acceptible, though you may like it, but you grimace. All I can suggest is, you should not watch it if you don't find romance between girls acceptible. There are plenty of other stories in the world. Seriously, I don't want people to search for justifications to watch my works, while feeling uncomfortable with it. I only want a volunteer audience.
Shawn the Touched
Animator

Re: lemme get this "straight....?"

Postby Wizard_of_Shnoz » Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:39 am

Your comments seem to be of two minds, and I'm not sure what you're objecting to. You say you don't find it acceptible, though you may like it, but you grimace. All I can suggest is, you should not watch it if you don't find romance between girls acceptible. There are plenty of other stories in the world. Seriously, I don't want people to search for justifications to watch my works, while feeling uncomfortable with it. I only want a volunteer audience.

Well there in lies the problem because you see I am a christian and well you know we have a certain ideology, heck my parents would kill me if they knew I was getting into this sort of thing. I guess this is were keeping an open mind comes into direct conflict with the ideals my religion has told me to uphold. I'm not saying ur evil or that your work is blasphemous. Just so you know why my veiws of Pink Lemonade seem like they're torn in two, and face it what guy wouldn't like a story about a lurv diamond between girls.
No I definetly want to hear how the story turns out. You've left too many questions niggling at my mind: What is that amulet that Pepper wears? And what about Jadies past?
Personally I think anyone found in an abandoned cryotube with no memory of their past is either A) a survivor of an ancient civilisation or
B) The product of a genetic experiment usually involving super soldiers.
I prefer the latter once Jadie remembers everything, she'll wup everyones arse! :D
Wizard_of_Shnoz
Summoner

Next

Return to White Radish chat