For discussions regarding White Radish animation projects, such as Cutethulhu and Pink Lemonade.

An ongoing Pink Lemonade comic (poll is concluded)

Would you support a Pink Lemonade comic?

Poll ended at Sat Mar 13, 2004 12:13 am

Yes, even if it is subscription-only.
No votes
Yes, if the latest page is free (and subscribe for archive access)
21%
Only if it's all free, and I would donate occasionally.
79%
Everything should be free! Artists should work for no pay and get real jobs!
No votes
Stay away from comics and focus on the animation!
No votes

Total votes : 19

Postby Nezna » Fri Jul 16, 2004 4:39 pm

(Sorry for the french message, but I've seen you understand french, so..)

Tu vas vendre (ou tu vend déjà?) des DVD de Pink Lemonade, non? Pour ceux qui achètent le DVD, il pourrais y avoir un code à l'intérieur qui permetterais d'accéder au manga.. C'est juste une idée comme ca.
Gamestar: Moogles already took over, you just wern't around when it happened. I still get a good laugh thinking about when I took over the forums.

Greyrider: Yeah, Nice tutu fearless leader.
Nezna
Nether Seed

Postby Shawn the Touched » Sat Jul 17, 2004 10:18 pm

Oui, je comprends un peu le français, grâce à le series Pimsleur pour apprendre les languages. Mais je vais réponder en anglais. Anyway, it's a possibility to do it that way, certainly. I could give a manga membership to anyone who buys a Pink Lemonade DVD.
Shawn the Touched
Animator

Pink Lemonade

Postby none » Sat Aug 07, 2004 10:01 am

From what I seen this is awesome, and (I might not have looked well enough) but I would have voted that I'm all for buying VHS or DVD episodes of this series (I downloaded the trailer and the little animation by Malachi) This stuff is sweet.
none

Postby Greg Eatroff » Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:20 am

The model we use at Modern Tales and its sister sites is for the first page and most recent page of a comic to be free access and the rest to be available by subscription only, though for longer-running projects we urge our creators to offer a larger free sample -- the first story-line free for instance, so people can get enough of a feel for artwork, characters, and writing style to decide if they want to risk money on the project as a whole. It seems to be working for us. Joey Manley (the guy in charge) is indeed making a living off the sites, as is the artist who does American Elf, though as a two-time Ignatz Award winner for best web-comic he's something of an exception. The rest of us aren't getting enough to quit our day jobs but are seeing some profits from the model.

The idea of subscriptions to the webcomic bundled with purchase of the DVD sounds good to me if you can work out the logistics of it. I don't know if that's ever been tried before, but I don't know of any web-comics that spin off from animation in anything other than a fan-ficcy way or as unauthorized parody.

Greg Eatroff,
editor of Fans! and Rip and Teri, both available at Graphic Smash, a Modern Tales sister site.
Greg Eatroff

Postby Shawn the Touched » Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:31 am

Greg Eatroff wrote:The model we use at Modern Tales and its sister sites is for the first page and most recent page of a comic to be free access and the rest to be available by subscription only.

Hi, Greg! I actually had your model in mind when I was proposing this sort of thing.

Greg Eatroff wrote:The idea of subscriptions to the webcomic bundled with purchase of the DVD sounds good to me if you can work out the logistics of it. I don't know if that's ever been tried before, but I don't know of any web-comics that spin off from animation in anything other than a fan-ficcy way or as unauthorized parody.

Yeah, I guess it usually goes the other way, from comic to animation. Well, it did in this case too, except the comic is embarrassingly old and not suitable for showing. Not only are the character designs quite different, but I made a major twist to the plot in the time since I drew the original comic. After the animation is complete, then I can show the old comic in the interest of trivia.

I think the logistics would only work for the DVDs purchased directly from me. I could send an account name and password with the purchases that way.
Shawn the Touched
Animator

I love it

Postby Kura » Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:01 am

A friend just told me about it. I love the idea you got here. I would donate just to help out 25 dollars to get name in the credits lol. I cant wait for more get published on the site. I love the way its animated. I wish i could animate something that well. but thats not the area i am gonna go into. It will help me though if i learn how to draw better and stuff but game design is my thing. I might just have to through something about PinkLimonade in some thing i make in the future if i can remember it by then. :P
Kura

Postby ShipPagan » Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:16 am

Yes your work is quite awesome. And as to the old 16 page PL comic, you could have that as an 'extra' on one of/the DVD/'s.

And out of the pay for options, I pick pay for archive access.
ShipPagan
Tik'tikki

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:27 pm

Hey, today I have learned of the glorified White Radish. I must say WR has peaked my curiosity. I have seen a few of your shorts but where are your actual films like "The Evil At Tentacle High", and "Apprentice". Is there anyway I can view them? Or clips atleast? Pink Lemonade looks awesome, is it already out or still in production? On the PL site it says 2003 in the lower right hand corner so I thought it may already be out.

Postby Shawn the Touched » Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:47 pm

Anonymous wrote:where are your actual films like "The Evil At Tentacle High", and "Apprentice". Is there anyway I can view them? Or clips atleast? Pink Lemonade looks awesome, is it already out or still in production? On the PL site it says 2003 in the lower right hand corner so I thought it may already be out.

The Evil At Tentacle High, Apprentice, and The Item are available on DVD, VHS, or VCD from the Ordering page on the main WR site. There is also a downloadable version of Apprentice available in AVI or multi-audio-track OGM available by special request. Trailers for two of the animations are available to view online on their specific pages on the WR site.

Pink Lemonade is still in production, and it will be loudly proclaimed everywhere on the site when it is finished.
Shawn the Touched
Animator

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:56 am

Hey its me, the same guest as above. Here's an idea for ya. Have you heard of the web series red vs blue? It's a Halo spoof series. The creators of red vs blue has this program for donators. People who donate to the production of red vs blue get to see the episode(or film) a week before non-donators and they get a free DVD of the current season for free. So maybe you could set it up so that people who make a donation of $20 or more would get the DVD free when the OVA finished up? Just a thought.

Postby Shawn the Touched » Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:10 am

Anonymous wrote:maybe you could set it up so that people who make a donation of $20 or more would get the DVD free when the OVA finished up?

I think if I were to do something like that, it would be easier and more straightforward just to take preorders for the DVD, which I will probably do once it's close enough to completion.
Shawn the Touched
Animator

Postby Marusame » Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:41 pm

I have to say man your work is pimp....i'll donate some money.....like 20 or so american dollars maybe more if i search around my house for loose money....since i don't trust the net i'll prolly send it via money order. those rewards are still avalible right?

also few questions: first where'd you get your flash maker?

second you wouldn't consider joining my clan and being official flash artist would you?.....acctually you don't have to anwser that.

third you wouldn't consider putting me in your anime(in your art style) would you even if i was part of the background or somethin? not even if I garnish a salad with money and gave it to you? what if i were to do some art stuff for you? i am a good photoshop artist?

anywho the first question is most important.......

*smacks head* poll yeah poll forgot i'd support the comic idea even if it was subscription only.....but i'd rather it be free.

-Marusame of the Black Death
Marusame

Postby Shawn the Touched » Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:19 pm

Marusame wrote: those rewards are still avalible right?
first where'd you get your flash maker?
third you wouldn't consider putting me in your anime(in your art style) would you even if i was part of the background or somethin? not even if I garnish a salad with money and gave it to you? what if i were to do some art stuff for you? i am a good photoshop artist?

I merged your two posts for tidiness reasons. An advantage to registering -- you can edit your posts.

For animating, I use Macromedia Flash MX (6.0). Just the standard equipment.

I wouldn't have any problem putting someone into the background of a shot for money. Background cameos have a long, proud history in animation. But it's not something I'm ready to open up to bidding at the moment.
Shawn the Touched
Animator

Pink lemonade

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:50 am

Shawn the Touched wrote:
Anonymous wrote:Still, it's kinda hard to say- I'd love a comic, but certainly can't afford a monthly fee right now with my expenses.

Well, I didn't say it would be a monthly recurring charge. If we go with option 2, then you'd only pay whenever you wanted access to the archives.
Anonymous wrote:If you started the webcomic, that'd be a potentially massive time sacrifice as well: most webcomic artists I've known with similar abilities to yours would spend easily 6-8 hours on a comic. Plus, starting up a webcomic alone takes quite a bit of time and energy...

6-8 hours? *sweatdrop* For the overview comic, I spent several days on each of those pages! Still, starting it up wouldn't take much energy at all. The script is already written, I have the page templates already, and it's not like I'd need to start up a Keenspace account or something.

But I would have to expect that it would take several days per page for the comic, as it did for the overview comic.

Hey, my names R... ahem, anonymouse, I thought that if you were gonna start a comic, that would be Great!!! But than again, if you dont have the time or money or whatever, think about yourself first before you go and kill yourself drawing badass anime's!! but uh :D your really good at this anime stuff and would hate to see you leave, keep up the good work man *beer* Thnxs for all youve done and shit. (Geez, this is the first time ive ever been sympathetic *sweatdrop* )Thanks anyway though man :D

hi pplz

Postby Serdalis » Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:28 pm

the only pro about makeing it pay is u turn away ne 1 who is even a slight bit doubtful of ur work...
(i'm not saying it's bad im just saying u'll turn away all the brozers there r sure to be.) unless they look deeper then the title.
Serdalis

PreviousNext

Return to White Radish chat