For discussions regarding White Radish animation projects, such as Cutethulhu and Pink Lemonade.

An ongoing Pink Lemonade comic (poll is concluded)

Would you support a Pink Lemonade comic?

Poll ended at Sat Mar 13, 2004 12:13 am

Yes, even if it is subscription-only.
No votes
Yes, if the latest page is free (and subscribe for archive access)
21%
Only if it's all free, and I would donate occasionally.
79%
Everything should be free! Artists should work for no pay and get real jobs!
No votes
Stay away from comics and focus on the animation!
No votes

Total votes : 19

An ongoing Pink Lemonade comic (poll is concluded)

Postby Shawn the Touched » Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:13 am

Please vote in this poll, or if you are a guest user who cannot vote, please state your opinion in a reply.

I'm considering creating an online Pink Lemonade comic in conjunction with the animation, in the same style as seen on pinklemonadeanime.com under "Overview comic." While it would take time away from my work on the animation, it would allow you to see the story that much sooner. However, I could only do this if there is money involved. Hence, the poll. Please also add any comments you may have on this subject.
Last edited by Shawn the Touched on Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Shawn the Touched
Animator

Postby GameStar » Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:35 am

I was going to be a goof and vote for the "artists should get real jobs" one but this is a serious question. I like the idea of subscribing to see pages but getting to see the latest one, but once they already saw it, why would they continue paying every month to see older comics they already saw? I dont think it'd work out that well.
Dragondung= 1: A superb agricultural ingredient 2: A colloquial expression for extreme anger, one that holds connotations of something hot, steaming, unpleasant, and rather too large to deal with When compared to cats, GS was completely dragondung.
GameStar
Warrior Poet

Postby Shawn the Touched » Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:44 am

GameStar wrote:but once they already saw it, why would they continue paying every month to see older comics they already saw? I dont think it'd work out that well.

I don't know, but I see other comics using that model, and it must have some merit. I can see it, too, since even someone as obsessive as myself can't keep checking a comic to get the latest free one all the time. Inevitably I miss some and would need to access the archive. But you voted for it anyway, even if you think it would be problematic?
Shawn the Touched
Animator

Postby GameStar » Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:48 am

It might be problematic yes, why not instead have like the archive open, but not show a few of the latest ones instead. That way they have to wait like a week or a month before they get to see what everyone else saw. But then even that has its problems, because someone could just save the pics and show other people anyway.
Dragondung= 1: A superb agricultural ingredient 2: A colloquial expression for extreme anger, one that holds connotations of something hot, steaming, unpleasant, and rather too large to deal with When compared to cats, GS was completely dragondung.
GameStar
Warrior Poet

Postby Shawn the Touched » Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:40 am

GameStar wrote:why not instead have like the archive open, but not show a few of the latest ones instead.

No, because all one would have to do in that case is wait for the new to become old. Anyway, I don't want to coerce people...ideally they'd pay because they want to support the artist. But this proposed structure would encourage it just a little more. :)
Shawn the Touched
Animator

Postby Kern » Fri Mar 12, 2004 3:13 am

i can'T vote because the option i want to vote for is not in :|
Kern
Yan Gagne

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 14, 2004 4:38 am

I'd vote, but it doesn't seem to let unregistered people vote and I haven't gotten around to signing up yet.
Still, it's kinda hard to say- I'd love a comic, but certainly can't afford a monthly fee right now with my expenses. If you started the webcomic, that'd be a potentially massive time sacrifice as well: most webcomic artists I've known with similar abilities to yours would spend easily 6-8 hours on a comic. Depending on how the update schedule went, that could be a lot of painful extra time spent, or quite a few months delay of the PL anime (which I'm most interested in).

It's really up to you in the end, and a lot of my thoughts are hypothetical- I have no way of knowing till you reply how long it'd take, or how much of a productivity hit the animation would take. Plus, starting up a webcomic alone takes quite a bit of time and energy... again, how much is hard to estimate since everyone's different with things- web design and art style for sure. And there's an enormous difference between Fred Gallagher (Megatokyo) thinking for a day and drawing for 8 hours straight, and Pontus Madsen (Little Gamers) hitting the copy-paste buttons and adding the text bubble with the day's script that he thought of over lunch. Two minutes or two days, can never tell until I hear it. ^^

Just some thoughts.

-Kortir

Postby Gen.Snife » Sun Mar 14, 2004 6:37 am

c'est vrai que sa serait bien que sa soit gratuit :D

mais si c'est ce que je pensse l'argent va dans l'equipement non :| ? et jai vu sur le site principale qu'il y avait des des VHS et des DVD , sa aussi c'est payant non ?

bref si jai tout bon sur la ligne sa pourra pas être possible que vos animations soit gratuite
Gen.Snife
Tik'tikki

Postby Gen.Snife » Sun Mar 14, 2004 6:39 am

et comme j'esite sur certain point je vote blanc !
Gen.Snife
Tik'tikki

Postby Shawn the Touched » Sun Mar 14, 2004 2:46 pm

Anonymous wrote:Still, it's kinda hard to say- I'd love a comic, but certainly can't afford a monthly fee right now with my expenses.

Well, I didn't say it would be a monthly recurring charge. If we go with option 2, then you'd only pay whenever you wanted access to the archives.
Anonymous wrote:If you started the webcomic, that'd be a potentially massive time sacrifice as well: most webcomic artists I've known with similar abilities to yours would spend easily 6-8 hours on a comic. Plus, starting up a webcomic alone takes quite a bit of time and energy...

6-8 hours? *sweatdrop* For the overview comic, I spent several days on each of those pages! Still, starting it up wouldn't take much energy at all. The script is already written, I have the page templates already, and it's not like I'd need to start up a Keenspace account or something.

But I would have to expect that it would take several days per page for the comic, as it did for the overview comic.
Shawn the Touched
Animator

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:07 am

Whew, that's a lot... would it be worth it then, considering the delay it'd cause to the anime?

Maybe if you started the webcomic version afterward or something... it'd provide a nice incentive to buy the dvd too... ^^

Just throwing out my thoughts here, sorry if I don't know much about all this :?

Postby Shawn the Touched » Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:49 pm

Gen.Snife wrote:mais si c'est ce que je pensse l'argent va dans l'equipement non :| ? et jai vu sur le site principale qu'il y avait des des VHS et des DVD , sa aussi c'est payant non?

No, there's not really any equipment that I need to buy, other than blank media to store my work on. The money I need is to feed me while I work. And yes, of course the DVD and VHS on my site is for that as well. Of course, in the case of the DVD, I still have a ways to go before I've made back as much as it cost to print the DVD.

Gen.Snife wrote:bref si jai tout bon sur la ligne sa pourra pas être possible que vos animations soit gratuite

I would hope not.

Anonymous wrote:Whew, that's a lot... would it be worth it then, considering the delay it'd cause to the anime?
Maybe if you started the webcomic version afterward or something... it'd provide a nice incentive to buy the dvd too... ^^

Whether it's worth it is what I'm looking for opinions on. I should probably mention that Pink Lemonade began life as a comic. I have a 16-page comic that I drew a long time ago that tells the first part of the story, where Jadie & Misty meet Pepper.

I've never printed the comic or posted it anywhere, because it's old art, the characters have changed, and the story has been fleshed out more, and I don't want people to think the animation will look anything like it. As an example of what it looks like, you can refer to the "Pepper side story" on the manga page of whiteradish.com in the gallery. I drew it at about the same time. So, this proposed PL comic would actually be a remake of that old comic, incorporating the new material and final character designs.
Shawn the Touched
Animator

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:57 pm

only if it was free and even then i would donate

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:27 pm

First of all, I gotta say I love your work Shawn, and I'm really looking forward to Pink Lemonade ^^! I personally think numbers 2 or 3 would be preferable to me (I'd gladly donate), but even if it were a paid subscription, I would still be cool with that.

Postby Shawn the Touched » Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:46 pm

Anonymous wrote:First of all, I gotta say I love your work Shawn, and I'm really looking forward to Pink Lemonade ^^! I personally think numbers 2 or 3 would be preferable to me (I'd gladly donate), but even if it were a paid subscription, I would still be cool with that.

Cool cool. I'm waiting a while for more responses. Mainly I'm trying to get a feel for the general consensus, and I'll take it all into account when I decide.
Shawn the Touched
Animator

Next

Return to White Radish chat