Archive of the pre-timeskip roleplays. If you wish to continue a pre-timeskip roleplay, you'll have to do so in the DT Freestyle subforum! PM Thalar to have a thread moved from this subforum to the Freestyle subforum.

Chel'el'sussoloth- Vloz'ress fortress

Postby Razdrez » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:53 pm

It was a long walk to the fortress, carrying the sleeping Orina, and followed by the curious golem that cuddled a custom made plushie, Soban eventually made it to his apartments, after a brief and successful attempt of losing his good for nothing sister, Soban unlocked the mana seal and entered his apartments, the guard golems now recharged stood at attention just inside, the golem maker commanding them back to their niches in the walls.

It had been a long night, unsuccessful when it came to his end goals, but he'd gotten some free hospitality from it, as well as now possessing a few new golem tools that he'd neglected to return. The Vloz'ress were at odds with the Sullissen'rune, and those tools were expensive.

Opening the door to the free room, Soban placed Orina in the massive bed there, why the beds in these rooms were so large in the first place had always puzzled Soban, but he couldn't argue, removing anything fromt he young human's pockets and letting her hair down, Soban tucked the slave into bed

Walking back out into the living area, Soban bandaged his dead arm and changed, falling asleep on top of the sheets, Soban had his usual stirring dreams that seemed to plague the tainted.

Cut to the next morning...

Orina would awake to the smells of cooking, as well as the young golem waiting for her to awake with what Soban had removed from her pockets, a small amount of ada, the needle and thread, her spiked barette, the harp was neatly placed on a shelf, with the holding bag for it next to it.

What was for breakfast? grilled puff mushrooms and lizard eggs. Soban stood in the kitchen, his bad arm bandaged once more, only wearing black trousers and a plain red tunic, instead of his usual long, flowing robes.
I wanted to shoot every panda that wouldn't mate to save its own species, I wanted to tip oil tankers to choke all those spanish beaches I would never see, I wanted to breath smoke, I wanted to destroy something beautiful
Razdrez
Tainted

Postby Bamawing » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:52 pm

When Orina awoke, the smell of cooking at first startled her. Instinctively she bounded a few inches over, expecting to hit solid ground feet-first and rush to apologize for her lateness.

Instead, her well-intentioned leap resulted in a slightly painful twisted ankle as she collapsed face-first into a sprawl on the bed. It took a few seconds for her to remember where she was. Even so, when she saw the little golem, her first response was "Sel'Suna..."

She shut her eyes and shook her head. "I'm sorry, Shoulia. I was asleep. You look like... a beautiful lady I once knew." She smiled sadly, ruffled the golem's hair, and crawled to the edge of the massive bed. It was also higher than the beds she had been used to, but now prepared for it, she had no problem getting down.

It took a few more minutes to make herself presentable. Her hair was a mess. Her carefully-tucked robe sleeve had come untucked during the night, and the dried blood on it from the deamon-battle yesterday was stiff and nasty-smelling. With a slight shudder, Orina changed back into her blue dress, although she left the slave overrobe on the dresser. She felt the little golem's sightless eyes following her, and she ruffled her hair again. "Don't worry. I'll just wash my robes, and then I'll be good as new."

She gathered up her new robes and tucked them under an arm, along with the spiked barette. She imagined that if the robe was dirty, the barette could use a washing, too. She tenderly took Shoulia's hand, and the two walked back out into the main quarters.

"Good morning, Master, may the goddess smile upon you!"
Bamawing
Vel'akar

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby Razdrez » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:15 am

"And may the great spider not devour you..." said Soban sarcastically, a reminder that the Vloz'ress were a clan based on a demonic cult, "Breakfast will be ready soon."

Peeking out from the kitchen doorway, Soban raised an eyebrow at Orina, then realised why she was in the blue dress that he first found her wearing.

"If you intend on washing that, you'll want to avoid the clan's service facilities, unless you intend on being gutted by golems, or raped by a bored mercenary, there are cleaning facilities downstairs in my workshop, that's where I do all my laundry."

Turning back to the sizzling pan, Soban stirred the mushrooms, as h thought they were burning.

"It's the large blue gem on the gauntlet, it's clean down there, just don't touch the dragon's mouth, it'll take your arm off." exactly why there was a dragon in his workshop, he didn't say, how one would fit down there was unclear, Orina had been down there before, and it was just a small dark room.
I wanted to shoot every panda that wouldn't mate to save its own species, I wanted to tip oil tankers to choke all those spanish beaches I would never see, I wanted to breath smoke, I wanted to destroy something beautiful
Razdrez
Tainted

Postby Cleric of Gorin » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:16 am

"How long do you think it will take before we actually get to talk to someone? What if they are offended by our subtle acusations?" Sezaaur asked Nota after a moment of silence. Even though his tone was some-what harsh, he meant everything respectfully.

(After Nota and Sezaru are done here, will the next posts be in Chel'el'sussoloth, or the sharen fortress?)
The Cleric of Gorin
Cleric of Gorin
Tainted

Postby Ravinous » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:21 am

"Sometimes things take time and patience, being clear in our planning is key when dealing with such an investigation," Nota said now moving through the gates of Chel.

((We'll move to the Sharen fortress directly to speed things up... kinda countermands what my character said though. XD))
Ravinous
Demon

Location: In the wonderful state of Nirvana... quite literally. >.>
Clan: Vloz'ress

Postby Bamawing » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:42 pm

Orina hesitated slightly. True, she had seen the workshop from the door... if "seen" could be used to describe it. It was so dark that she hadn't actually seen anything, and she knew only that there was a metal drawer filled with things that would make her lose her appetite. Plus a demon skeleton and apparently a washbasin and a dragon.

She was also surprised and somewhat embarrised to remember that the Vloz'ress paid no attention to the goddess. She made a mental note to ask about a more appropriate greeting when she returned from the washbasin. Assuming she did return, that is.... with both arms, anyway. "Shoulia," she addressed the golem cheerfully, "why don't you stay here with Master. It sounds like it might be a bit dangerous down there. I'll be back in a few minutes."

Patting the girl on the head, she stode to the gauntlet and retirieved the blue gemstone. As she unlocked the door, she started humming a complex little tune that Soban probably would not recognize... the spellsong for courage. Orina only knew half of it, but didn't mind repeating the first half over and over. In fact, she intended to, until she was certain of her surroundings.

She stepped through the door and waited for her eyes to adjust to the dim light...
Bamawing
Vel'akar

Postby Razdrez » Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:10 pm

Heading down the short spiral staircase, the dim light would reveal the same small room that Orina had ran down to to retrieve Soban's bat, but this time there were lights on.

Soban never slept much as it was, so he'd been up for hours, and one of his ways of whiling away the time was to fulfill clan orders for golems to enforce the Vloz'ress armies, in the dim light, the room was lit up to reveal three large metal drawers set into the rock of the wall, large enough for a person to crawl into, Orina wouldn't want to open any of them if she hoped to eat breakfast.

When Soban said don't touch the dragon, he did mean it, though not a living one, in the middle of the room was a large stone table, still slightly damp with a small gutter around the surface, that collected all fluids and deposited them into a bucket of filthy water that was stained red.

On top of this table was literally a dragon, or at least the corpse of one, only a baby really, but still about the size of a pony, eight gems set in the forhead glowed dimly that meant that it was active as a golem.

Past the slab was the wash basin, indeed large enough to was clothes in, and deep enough to bathe a child in, it was clean, thankfully.

Orina had also been expecting a demon skeleton, which was on the other side of the dragon, a thick metal collar was around its neck, others on its feet and hands, pearly white jaws with footlong teeth opened and snapped closed quickly, it shambled around the slab and walked directly behind Orina, it's bony claws brushing her heels as she walked, all it could see was the faint mana locking mechanism on her collar, so it wouldn't do anything but follow her.
Razdrez
Tainted

Postby Bamawing » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:52 pm

When Orina noticed the peg inside the door, on which would hang Soban's robes, she vaguely remembered being here before. She hadn't had time to look around much then, so she decided to look around a bit more now.

She did know better than to glimpse into the drawers, although she admired the stonework surrounding them. The rock was cut expertly for the drawers to fit. there were no gaps, and the odd smell arising from them was only barely perceptable. Excellent craftsmanship.

The dragon was less frightening than she had expected. She had seen a full-grown dragon once, and calmed down a lot upon realizing that this one was just a baby. It looked to be asleep, and she decided that the stones in its forhead meant that it was yet another puppet. She had the crazy urge to pet it, but wisely resisted that urge.

If the dragon didn't startle her, the skeleton did. She had never seen a demon before joining Soban, and had expected the skeleton to be inanimate. Indeed she thought it was at first. When it snapped, she gasped and hugged her dirty clothing to her chest. When it began to move, it was with a funny scuttling clicking sound that was somehow unnerving. Orina froze, and it did, too.

They faced a long standoff, in which Orina did a lot of quiet whimpering. She finally backed away. The creature followed.

"Oh calm down," she thought to herself. "Master wouldn't send me in here if that thing was dangerous." These logical thoughts had the effect they would have on almost any human - to whit, not much. Keeping a sharp eye on its teeth, Orina slowly backed up to the basin, found the faucet, and gave the spicket a timid turn. The familar sound of flowing water was soothing. She felt her shoulders relax as she began the mundane ritual of clotheswashing. In fact, she was about to start humming again when she felt a cold, hard, sharp object brush up against her ankle.

She looked down.

"EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!"
Bamawing
Vel'akar

Postby Razdrez » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:14 am

Soban had finished cooking, at last, taking down a large metal plate to serve food on, he took the pan off the stove and extinguished the flame that he'd been cooking on.

Knowing that it took a while to wash clothes, Soban waited, finding Shou'lia standing with him in the kitchen was odd, he thought Orina like the Golem, shrugging and patting the Golem on the head, which was a new reaction to it, he admitted later, he placed the food on the table in the living area and waited on one of the worn couches.

About now, Orina screamed.

Down in the workshop, the small dragon lifted its head and chomped its jaws in the air at the scream, though proved to not be able to move anything else, returnung to a dormant state, the skeletal golem, Tergan, however, did nothing, it couldn't hear by mundane methods, and its long claw remained on Orina's ankle.

Soban burst through his workshop door, hoping that she hadn't broken any of the jars on the shelves, or cut herself, he was growing fond of the human, seeing that it was only Tergan's attention, he rubbed his eyes.

"Calm down! he's harmless! Tergan, here." while Orina's cries were nothing to the golem, it returned to its master with haste.

"Sorry, I should have said something about him being down here, he's my assistant of sorts, he's made to fetch specific objects and to wash off components before I jar them." Soban pointed to a shelf directly above Orina, which was covered in jars, in this light a human wouldn't be able to see what was in them, but that was a good thing.

"If you'll leave those, breakfast is ready, I'm fairly sure you're meant to leave new clothes to soak anyway..."
Razdrez
Tainted

Postby Bamawing » Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:22 am

Orina was still trying to catch her breath from the scream while Soban explained the crature. She noticed - somewhat proud of herself - that she had managed to stay on the ground and not leap into the tub.

Orina tended not to notice some goings-on while she was panicking, and so the dragon's brief awakening escaped her entirely. Considering her state, this was probably a good thing.

Soban's explanation managed to calm her somewhat, but what really got her to relax was the idea that Tergan had a name. Soaking had not been the plan - Orina having decided long ago that scrubbing was just as effeciant and a lot faster - but any excuse to leave the room was OK by her.

She scurried out of the room, following Soban closely, her eyes never leaving the deamon.

Back out in the living quarters, Orina hesitated slightly. It had not yet been 24 hours since she first met Soban. Still, she was already closer to him than she had been to any Drow save Sel'suna. She trusted him - liked him - this thin, quiet man who shunned his family and surrounded himself with death and puppets.

Sel'suna always said that conversation was easier if you weren't trying to eat and look down...

Her decision made, she gently pulled out a chair. Soban appeared to have breakfast under control, so she had a seat.
Bamawing
Vel'akar

Postby Razdrez » Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:15 pm

Soban transferred the mushrooms and lizard eggs onto a large plate, to be served from, and placed it onto the table, before grabbing twomore plates and cutlery.

Setting the table himself, he sat down and carved the huge omelette in two equal pieces, serving one half to Orina, and one half to himself, half of it was plenty for anyone to eat.

"hmm..." he stood up and walked over to the open door to his workshop and hollering "Tergan! Wash!" to the skeletal golem downstairs.

"if you're lucky, Tergan will have washed your new clothes well, if not, it's your job, better to take the chance in my mind." he said, sitting once more.

"And sitting at the table, why the change of heart?" he smiled broadly, picking up a fork.
Razdrez
Tainted

Postby Bamawing » Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:50 pm

Orina returned the smile, and replied slowly, carefully choosing her words.

"Sel'suna always said that it was easier to talk to me if I was sitting at the table rather than at her feet. And even though I've only known you for a short time, I am guessing you feel the same way.

"Aside from your sister," she continued, "I'm the only living thing I've seen in your apartment. And from the way she called you a 'hermit,' I'm guessing that usually you only have your puppets for company." She paused, taking the time to stab a particularly large mushroom that had dislodged from the cut omlett and was rolling around the plate. "I'm honored to be here," she concluded simply, with a shy smile.

A bite of omlette later, she changed the subject. "We meet the Ill'hardro noble later, do we not? He seems like some sort of wacky golem fan."
Bamawing
Vel'akar

Postby Razdrez » Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:49 am

Soban merely nodded when Orina asked if he wsa of the same opinion as her former mistress, it was easier to talk when level, Orina had been lucky to have such owners, of course, Soban couldn't bring himself to think of owning anyone.

At Orina's remark on being honored to be in his presence, the slightest bit more blood flushed his face, before he went back to eating.

"Aside from you and my sister, I hadn't talked to anyone else in almost twenty years, suffice it to say, company is rare, though don't be honored, I'm a maniac from a demonic clan, nothing more."

he took another bite.

"And we're meeting him later, yes, though I doubt he's a golem lover, he's apparently lost an arm, which he replaced with a machine, there's no love in loss."
Razdrez
Tainted

Postby Bamawing » Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:50 pm

Orina shook her hair at Soban's comment. "Speaking to nobody but your sister for twenty years would make anyone a maniac, Master, but you seem sane to me.

"That reminds me, though... how do the Vloz'ress wish each other a good morning? It's hard to imagine Tergan smiling... but then, it's also hard to imagine him washing my clothes.

"I didn't mean golem, I meant goblin. Sometimes I can be such a puff-head..." she rolled her eyes at herself. "Between me and that collarless human, I mean. Sometimes Sel'suna's sister would laugh and say that Sel'suna was 'just like old uncle Y'barrse, who wound up collecting humans and orcs.' I always thought she was making him up, but perhaps there is such a Drow. That noble's name wasn't Y'barrse, was it?" she asked with a bit of a grin, and went back to eating.
Bamawing
Vel'akar

Postby Razdrez » Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:41 pm

Soban almost choked on his food as Orina made the remark abou this sister, he would never have said anything like that, but it was true, to the best, that woman would drive them mad if they spent enough time with her.

After Soban managed to stop laughing, whether loudly or to himself he managed to reply to Orina's questions.

"In general, 'good morning' is sufficient, to greet one of us with a blessing of Sharess is asking them to either kill you, or worse, give you a lecture on how Sharess is dead, if you want to get religious, all you need to do is replace 'Sharess' with 'the great one', any of the cults around here worships something along those lines."

he took another bite, his meal near completion now.

"I believe his name was Kyore, and if she did have an uncle, he may be useful, so I may look into that." the presence of a goblin lover in the family would be helpful, as well as explain a lot.
Razdrez
Tainted

PreviousNext

Return to Drowtales Roleplay Archive