Archive of the pre-timeskip roleplays. If you wish to continue a pre-timeskip roleplay, you'll have to do so in the DT Freestyle subforum! PM Thalar to have a thread moved from this subforum to the Freestyle subforum.

The Crossroads - Outskirts of Chel'el'Sussoloth [PRIVATE]

Postby Starlitdragon » Sun Nov 07, 2004 5:06 pm

"Hmm? Ah yes, it seems to do so. The burnings stopped anyhow." Athaeyen replied idly. Every few steps, her side seemed to demand less attention. Ma interrupted her silent marvelling.

"Well, seeing as our mission is to find what is killing the Driders, I'm afraid the answer is yes Ma. However, we need to reach the hive to get any new information, and to have a place to fall back on should we come off worse in a fight." Athaeyen thoughtfully paused. The pain had greatly diminished now. Then a sudden flash of irritation hit her as she remembered something.

"Damn! I forgot my dagger!" Athaeyen groaned, and stopped. We don't have time to go back for that old thing.. "Nevermind.." she continued reluctantly. "It's not worth a trip back." Muttering, she set a blazing pace, completely forgetting Athidus' impediment in her annoyance. If she could not go back for her weapon, she would get as far away from it as she could.
Starlitdragon
baneling

Clan: Illhar'dro

Postby Maximillian Caine » Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:51 pm

Ma didn't like the sound of "yes there will be more". He glanced a look at his tonfa as he kept up with Athaeyans' furious pace and sighed. Spears and slings were by far the better option for dealing with huge great beasts like the one they had just faced!

"Mistress, did you pack anything like spears, or perhaps slings among our equipment?"
Maximillian Caine
Nether Spawn

Postby Onizuka » Mon Nov 08, 2004 5:19 pm

Shiv'arl was lost in thought as to what to do next. Hearing Athaeyen's voice barely roused him. Turning, he saw the group start to walk away. Briskly, he caught up to the group to see what was to be done. He noticed that Athidus seemed to be slowed a little, yet he showed no signs of a break in that damnable cheerfulness.

Slowly, Shiv'arl's mind began to wander again. Why the hell is he so happy all the time? What has life done for him? I know his life is not an easy one; his abilities all scream of that of a trained killer, though he might not openly confess it. Surely his life is no better than mine, is it? Perhaps he is the one I have sought, but for a different reason. I must keep a closer watch on him, he is more dangerous than he lets on.

Trudging near the rear of the group, Shiv'arl decided to have a brief word with Athaeyen. Making his way towards the front, he placed himself right behind her. "I told you to call me Shiv, please respect my wishes." With that, he slowed his pace to be back near the rear of the group.
Onizuka
Great Teacher

Postby Xian » Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:01 pm

At Athaeyen's renewed vigor, Athidus begins to lag behind, despite his best efforts to maintain the pace. As he moves, by no will of his own, slowly but steadily towards the back ranks of the company, he leans over when Meron is about to pass him to speak to the guard. "Uh, say, I know you've already got enough on your plate as it is, what with the armour and all, but... I can't seem to keep up my pace like this. Think you could lighten my load a little? My legs aren't working so good right now." Athidus offers the bodyguard a sheepish smile as he tugs at the straps of his backpack, which had taken some effort at the rocks for him to retrieve.
Xian
Demon

Postby Starlitdragon » Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:39 am

Athaeyen sighed. "I'm afraid not, Ma. I, nor Meron, could use a missle weapon, and a spear is far too akward for me. Meron may have packed a spare shaft or two, in case his halberd snapped, but those are probably back with the lizard." Athaeyen sank back in to brooding over the loss of her dagger. The empath inturrupted her gloomy deliberation.

"Hmm? I call drow by their full name by habit. If you wanted me to call you Shiv, you should have introduced yourself as such." Athaeyen glanced at as she spoke the last words. "I have rather alot at the moment on my mind, so please forgive that. Ah, and before I forget, you wanted to talk to me alone--?" she watched Shiv'arl make his way to the back of the line, where Meron testily bore some of Athidus' weight. "Never mind then." she muttered. "So much for urgent."

Several hours passed as the group laboured in what Athaeyen hoped was the right direction. Save for the monotonous footsteps, and occassional swish of the cloak, no sound passed between the caravan. It was as if the darkness had sucked in every word. Another scattering of rocks loomed ahead; and the trail they made had taken a definite uphill. Murky stalagtites could be seen snaking their way to the ground. This comforted Athaeyen: the Drider Hive was said to be located on higher ground, in a hidden cave network known only to the Beldrobbaen. Athaeyen wished she had a map, but such sacred details would never be written down for an outsider to find. Sort of makes me wonder why the Acting Commander authorized me to hire help, instead of sending some clan warriors with me. Ah well.. This looks like a place to camp. The wilds are all the same anyway..

"Company halt! We've done enough for today. Ma, please scout the area. Athidus, sit down and rest. Thank you for your efforts. Shiv'arl-- Shiv, Yul'kalim, and Meron, set up camp and some food please. No fire, songs, or anything tonight. We should be arriving at the Hive some time tomorrow." I hope. Athaeyen added mentally.

((OOC: For those of you who didn't want to read the long post,I have moved time ahead a few hours. I hope that is alright with everyone.))
Starlitdragon
baneling

Postby Xian » Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:44 am

Athidus offers Athaeyen a sharp salute, then collapses to a sitting position on the spot, letting out a sigh of relief. "By the Sharess, if I had known we'd be travelling this long afterwards, I'd have found a better way to kill that thing," he says jestingly, offering a wink. Meron dumps the backpack unceremoniously beside the assassin, and he immediately begins to root through it, scanning its contents for some item that could be considered food.

"Ah, just what I was hoping for," he exclaims under his breath, reaching into the pack. "Trail rations." The prospect of no fires, songs, or anything- which included stories, much to his dismay- was slightly discouraging, but at the same time, hours of travel with strained tendons had exhausted him, and he was more than ready to call it a night. Then again, I may be needed to keep watch, he considered as he munched on the near-tastless piece of ration. Tsk. Bother and bother. Without much in the way of prompting, Athidus sets his bow beside him and places an arrow across it for easy access, then wordlessly finishes his ration.
Xian
Demon

Postby Maximillian Caine » Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:58 pm

Scout the area... without food?

;_;

Mistress was so cruel. Almost as cruel as Middle Sister, and that was saying something! But.. well.. got to do what Mistress says...

Ma began his patrol. Unfortunatly, his thoughts were less about enourmous cat demons, and more on the visions of food that he knew, he just knew they were all enjoying back at camp.
Maximillian Caine
Nether Spawn

Postby Onizuka » Tue Nov 09, 2004 4:44 pm

Shiv'arl sees Athidus sit down and begin to eat. Slowly, Shiv'arl makes his way over to him. Gingerly, he sits down next to him. "Something is bothering you, mind if I ask what? If it about our safety, you needn't worry; I couldn't possibly sleep tonight, so I am going to volunteer for watch duty. You have strained yourself today, you have earned your rest."

With that said, Shiv'arl makes his way over to Athaeyen. "I am just here to say that the group seems to be exhausted, but in all honesty, I won't be able to sleep for some time, so I would not mind keeping watch while the others sleep. Do you have any objections?"
Onizuka
Great Teacher

Postby Xian » Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:47 pm

"Not in the slightest," Athidus offers amicably, settling down onto his back and resting his hands behind his head, looking to where the cavern ceiling would be, if it were not obscured by pitch darkness. "We'll have to set out a couple of watches, of course, but if you're volunteering for the first, that suits me." Athidus falls silent for a couple of seconds, then takes on a very sombre look.

"Yes, there's something bothering me. I feared it would come to this, but it doesn't appear that we have any choice, this far into the underworld." His eyes narrow slightly at some prospect, his gaze turning sinister. "No fire, songs or stories tonight? Giant, homicidal shadow-cats I can handle, but this is unusually cruel." His sombre expression melts into a broad grin and he shakes his head. "Such interesting company, too. The alchemist certainly looks like a man with a story or two under his belt, and I don't imagine you've had a very tame life either. And of course, there's Athaeyen the Undauntable. She's a bit unusual, for a Beldrobbaen noble." He paused for a few seconds, then added, as an afterthought, "And that's in no way a bad thing."

He lifted his shoulders slightly and closed his eyes. "I guess it'll have to wait, though. Hopefully we'll sleep tomorrow in more hospitable territory."
Xian
Demon

Postby Starlitdragon » Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:57 pm

Athaeyen smirked a little. "Noble? Hmmm.. I suppose you could say that.." she murmured quietly. Sensing the grumbles her comment over 'no fires, and no songs' caused, she relented a little. "Alright, you can sing and tell your tales. I daresay we have some interesting stories to share. But please, I don't want to attract any cat-demons to us."

Something was bothering Athaeyen. Damn.. I forgot to give Ma food! I didn't mean for him to be out very long.. Never mind, I think I hear him not too far away. Meron and I will take him something. Athaeyen gestured to Meron, and said aloud, "Ma is nearby, and I forgot to give him some food. You can light a fire while we're gone so we won't get totally lost. I don't think there's anything nearby if Ma hasn't been eaten yet."

Weariness gnawed at Athaeyen, but she was genuinely sorry she neglected the messenger. Rising, she trudged towards the shuffling disturbances several stone's casts away. She took some rations, packing a little of her precious dried fruit (imported from the surface! A load of extra ada was handy after all,) to make up for it. When she neared the place where she thought Ma was, she called out softly.

"Ma? Is that you? I have food!" Behind her, Athaeyen could still make out the camp through the murky surroundings.
Starlitdragon
baneling

Postby Maximillian Caine » Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:00 pm

ZING!

Ma dropped the slice of suspect mushroom he was about to taste, and homed in on Athaeyan's golden tones. With all the grace, enthusiasm and self control of a faithful hound greeting the Master after a long day of lazing about, Ma met up with Athaeyan.
Maximillian Caine
Nether Spawn

Postby Starlitdragon » Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:14 pm

Smiling slightly, Athaeyen held out the bag. "Take what you like, Ma."

The gloomy surroundings had changed from a barren wasteland, to more of a cavern type situation. The numerous stalactites littered the floors, and mineral deposits jutted out from the steep slopes. It was an idyllic environment for a many-legged creature. Dodging the stone growths would be child's play to them, whereas the two-footed Drow may encounter more difficulties. Athaeyen noticed for the first time a steady dripping rhythm and a trickle of something cold accompanying it.

"Did you find anything of interest?" It was a rhetorical question in Athaeyen's view. "Any traces living things that could possibly tear our throats? Yes? No?"

Meron grumbled something inaudible in the background, as he kicked at the rocks. Athaeyen ignored him and tried to focus on Ma, the incessant dripping tugging at her attention.
Starlitdragon
baneling

Postby Maximillian Caine » Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:10 pm

Ma set-to with aplomb, chawing on the rations asif he had never eaten.

"Suffin' ftrange, miftfress.", he indicated the inky blackness,"I fifnk thefs", here he heroicially swallowed the contents of his bulging cheeks, "Driders about. I can smell them. I can hear one, maybe more, sort-of close by. Don't move like Driders I know. They're more... mmm. , how to put it... townish?"
Maximillian Caine
Nether Spawn

Postby Onizuka » Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:04 am

((Someone needs to get this moving again))

Shiv'arl walks over to Athidus and once more sits down next to him. In hopes of learning something, a question forms on his lips. "What would you say is your most interesting story? I myself have several, and our leader has given us the ok to tell them, provided we are quiet. Surely, life as a mercenary must be filled with all kinds of danger and peril."
Onizuka
Great Teacher

Postby Starlitdragon » Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:46 am

((Heh, sorry about the extended absence. Band camp emptied my mind, and filled it with musical goo. Also, Havoc PMed me about the likelihood of his dropping out of the RP. I will try and bring that in, though I hope Havoc can make it to Drider City.))

"Drider?" Athaeyen furrowed her brow. "We are quite far from the Hive still. It could be an advance scout, though I doubt it. When you are finished.." she paused admist the spray of unidentifiable foodstuffs issued from the messenger's mouth. "..Meron, you, and I will check to see what got this 'drider' so lost." The scrabbling was more audible now. The 'thing' could quite probably be a Drider, though it was beyond Athaeyen as to what it was doing here. At the camp, it seemed as Shiv and Athidus were engaging in conversation. If the creature was a wild one, it would most likely make its way towards the welcome glow of the minuscule fire. However, if it possessed intelligence..

Than it would approach the fire anyway if it were friendly, or ambush those outside the fire if it were the opposite. Namely, us. Wait-- What was that?!

The sight of what tumbled out behind the mouth of stalactites made Athaeyen promise to never doubt Ma again.

It was a Drider. The eight dull ruby eyes and arachnid hindquarters left no room for argument. Athaeyen was shocked, to say the least. The Drider lurched unsteadily forward. A faint high register groan made itself evident. A few moments passed before Athaeyen realized the noise was coming from the Drider. She believed it was a male, though the tattered charcoal clothes it wore could have belonged to either gender. The words to describe this creature sprang out of the girl's mouth, unbidden.

"Waelinider." The cursed and newborn, whom wander the darkness without hope. This was no Drider of the Hive: though it was obviously searching for it. Once, this creature had been a pure Drow. But now..

"We won't hurt you.." the words came, scarcely a whisper.
Starlitdragon
baneling

PreviousNext

Return to Drowtales Roleplay Archive