Archive of the pre-timeskip roleplays. If you wish to continue a pre-timeskip roleplay, you'll have to do so in the DT Freestyle subforum! PM Thalar to have a thread moved from this subforum to the Freestyle subforum.

The Crossroads - Outskirts of Chel'el'Sussoloth [PRIVATE]

Postby Starlitdragon » Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:13 pm

Ypresiika feigned rest. As soon as steady breathing filled the air, he made his move. Shuffling silently, he strove to remain unnoticed from the one non-magic drow still awake. His goal was the strange black-clad magic-drow's foodstuffs. Ypresiika wanted no more to do with these strange magic-drow, and their disturbing questions.

He managed to lay his claws on the female's pack when she classically rolled over emitting a loud snore. Desperation began building up. Any moment now, and the sqiushy-drow would see him! Finally, he yanked at the pack, disregarding any noise made. The provisions safe with him, he ran. The din created by eight skittering legs was more than enough to be noticed, but Ypresiika didn't care. He was away, with a bag of delicious squishies. Nobody could catch him now!
Starlitdragon
baneling

Clan: Illhar'dro

Postby Xian » Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:17 am

Athidus had never overly trusted driders of any shape or size, not since having had to deal with several during the assignments he ran under the employ of the Sarghess. Ypresiika seemed harmless enough, though, and he figured that it wouldn't try anything, after its terrified response to Shiv'arl's threats. As is par for the course of assassins, however, Athidus slept lightly. As Ypresiika made a break for it, Athidus was on his feet and ready to pursue.

Except that his legs were still strained.

Somewhat unceremoniously, Athidus buckled down to one knee, wincing as the pain renewed itself in his thighs. Damn my feeble legs! he thought, grasping for the shortbow he kept beside his spot on the ground. Athaeyen had expressed sympathy for the drider and asked him not to cause it any physical harm, but there was no way in hell he was going to let the little thief make off with anything, especially anything belonging to Athaeyen. As a strictly habitual gesture, Athidus whirled the arrow he plucked from the quiver deftly between his fingers, popping the cap off the second of three vials at his side before plunging the sharp tip into it. Lifting it from the liquid within, he tapped the arrow head once against the side of the vial to make sure he wasn't wasting any poison- the stuff was not cheap to make by any stretch- and fit the arrow to his bowstring, drawing back and holding steady, aiming at Ypresiika's fleeing back.

Ypresiika's movements were much too erratic to aim for any vital organs, and it was already a bit too far away for that kind of precision. He wasn't supposed to kill it, anyways. Athidus aimed squarely at the middle of the drider's back and released, hoping the paralysis poison would stop it in its tracks. If he managed to hit, it wouldn't get far.
Xian
Demon

Postby Starlitdragon » Fri Dec 17, 2004 9:49 pm

((OOC: The Lady in Black makes her second appearance. O.o Ypresiika 'aint done for yet.))

Ypresiika snorted. How slow these magic-drow were! He skittered erratically, joyfully skipping over rocks with delicate skill.

"Aichyeee!"

An unexpected something had pricked his arm. A tingling sensation began to spread. These magic-drow hurt Ypresiika! The dart had not embedded itself into the Drider's flesh, but had merely grazed the skin. Still, the unpleasant sensation of numbness did not entertain the Drider in the least. Spilling the contents of the bag on to the cave floor, he selected two large squishies and resumed scrambling away from camp. Unburdened by the bag, he made a remarkable dash. Distance between the angry magic-drow and Ypresiika widened.

When he was enveloped in the darkness, the Waelinider slowed his pace. Panting heavily, he buckled down. The numbing sensation had blossomed into a warm blanket. Ypresiika was tired. With the pressing opaqueness as his quilt, he fell asleep. A figure in the darkness stood over him. If there was such thing as an aura of menace, this shadowy shape possessed it in great quantities.

"Ypresiika, you will guide them to the Hive tommorrow. You know the way. They will find you tomorrow, I will be sure of it." The figure melted away.

"Yes, mistress." mumbled the slumbering Drider, oblivious to the waking world.
Starlitdragon
baneling

Postby Xian » Sat Dec 18, 2004 6:30 am

"Hup," Athidus grunted, struggling his way back to his feet. The long period of inactivity that came with sleep had stiffened the muscles in his legs, and every step took a significant amount of effort. "I think I got it..." Nineteen arrows left, unless he could find that one in salvagable condition, and in this gloom, it seemed unlikely. Unless it was stuck in the drider's hide, there was no way he was going to be able to locate it. Athidus began the somewhat labourious journey along the drider's path, holding a second arrow between his fingers, poised above the first of the three poison vials. If anything came at him from this gloom, he was in no condition to dance around and wait for his paralysis poison to kick in. It would be all or nothing, this time.

Whether or not anyone was following him, Athidus concentrated, flattening his aura and dispersing his body heat, squinting forward in the darkness. A short ways ahead, Athaeyen's backpack and most of its contents were strewn out upon the ground, and Athidus smirked. "Guess I got it after all," he mumbled warily. And that... he thought, searching the ground for a few seconds before he found the first of several droplets of blood. Makes for very easy tracking.
Xian
Demon

Postby Starlitdragon » Sun Dec 19, 2004 4:51 am

Athaeyen rubbed her eyes. A pounding dizziness that could be attributed to the inturruption of the sleep cycle invaded her mind.

"What the?"

Her eyes, blinded for a moment with the sudden action of standing, refused to coopporate. The frantic scrabbling and cries gave her a fairly good idea anyway.

"Ypresiika? Ypresiika!"

Her sight flooding back, she saw a scuffle not far from camp. Athidus was already up and giving chase. His steps were deliberate, and lacked the fluid grace they held earlier that day. Ypresiika was gone, and so was-

"My pack! What the hell happened to my pack?!" she exploded, disregarding her pretense of professionalism completely. Groping about, her fingers closed on the hilt of her dirk. "How can one Drider eat so many mushrooms?!" She pelted towards the lone figure, only to see him gradually disappear.

"This really isn't my day."
Starlitdragon
baneling

Postby Xian » Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:22 am

"Your pack's here, Athaeyen!" Athidus spoke loudly, a touch of mirth to his voice at her distress, in spite of his exhaustion. "Though," he spoke, a little more pensively, "I can't guarantee that its contents are intact." He stood and waited for Athaeyen to catch up, letting his concentration lapse such that his aura and body heat flared to visible life again. As he was now feeling particularly vulnerable, the tip of the arrow in Athidus' hand hovered over the mouth of the first vial at his side, and he scanned the darkness in every direction that wasn't the camp.

It was late, and he was tired, and his legs hurt. Even if he didn't get grumpy very easily, Athidus wasn't feeling particularly inclined to play around.
Xian
Demon

Postby Starlitdragon » Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:35 pm

"Ah."

The reassuring crimson glow guided Athaeyen to the hired help and her pack. Frowning, she examined the contents, gathering them into the worn bag as she took a quick inventory. "It seems to be all here.." she muttered.
"Thank you Athidus." she sighed heavily. "Who knows where the Waelinider went. I don't suppose you could track it? We can pick up trail now, or after some sleep." she peered blearily at the ground. The wastelands looked all the same to her. Every rock had a twin, and in this gloom, she would be fortunate to discern the correct direction. Cursing Ypresiika, Athaeyen massaged her eyes.

"Nevermind Athidus, let's just find the little bugger now before it gets too far. I have to make sure he didn't get anything important."
Starlitdragon
baneling

Postby Xian » Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:43 am

"Works for me," Athidus conceded. "If you're comfortable leaving everyone else behind, give me a moment to pick out which direction the little klepto went, and we can follow the trail of blood." Rather labouriously, Athidus crouched a bit lower to the ground, grumbling under his breath briefly. "I think I only nicked it, unfortunately, so the poison won't have spread as quickly as-"

Whoops, Athidus winced. He hadn't meant to reveal that he carried poison around out of habit, nor that his arrows were designed with its application in mind. "Right, well," he recovered hastily. "It looks like the waelinider stopped here for a few seconds, then proceeded..." Athidus began a brief search of the area, keeping his face within a foot of the ground as he peered at the rock. "Damn this gloom," he muttered unhappily, and sat back on his haunches. He took his right wrist in his left hand and spread his palm, concentrating his aura into his palm for several seconds before a dim light formed, illuminating the ground to a progressively greater degree as time passed.

"This way," he finally said, locating the next small smear of blood. The light went out, and Athidus stood slowly, plodding off in the prescribed direction.
Xian
Demon

Postby Starlitdragon » Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:55 am

Athaeyen said nothing at Athidus' mention of poison. She tucked the little pearl of information away, to be referred to later. The Drider couldn't be all that far away. It had only taken the two a few minutes to find the pack, and start after the unexpected irritation. Athaeyen shivered. The temperature had taken a definite drop.

She fell into step behind the mercenary, taking pains to produce minimal noise. What will I do when I catch up to Ypresiika? I can't.. Kill him. Though I'm sure Meron would, just for inturrupting his sleep cycle. Hmmm. I wonder...
Starlitdragon
baneling

Postby Maximillian Caine » Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:50 pm

((Apologies. I've been tied up with a truly monstrous update for any RP I run. 4153 words this update))

Honestly, you go on patrol and you can't be away for even a short time without something happening! He had heard the general ruckus, and could make out the sound of spider legs. Just what had that snack-on-legs got itself into now?

Ma ghosted up behind Athaeyan.

"Mistress? Something is wrong?"
Maximillian Caine
Nether Spawn

Postby Starlitdragon » Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:29 pm

Athaeyen kneaded her forehead. "No, I'm just enjoying a gloomy walk in the caverns in the middle of the night for my personal enjoyment." The irony hung limply in the air. "Sorry Ma. I'm just a little.. tired.Our little friend made off with some of my stuff. We got it back, but I think we should find Ypresiika to see what's up. I've got a funny feeling he hasn't told us everything.."

She yawned. Something warm trickled down her cheek as she attempted to massage some life into her eyes. Rest was a commodity she always took for granted. Never again...

"I'll just wait for Athidus to find something for us, haha." she mumbled incoherently.
Starlitdragon
baneling

Postby Xian » Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:20 am

"Damn, having eight legs gives the little thief a whole lot of mobility," Athidus grumbles as he stomps along, bow and arrow still in hand. He stopped periodically to look for blood spots on the ground, though when Ma appeared, Athidus halts a moment to question the Xuile'Solen.

"It would save me a whole lot of trouble if you could track him by scent or something," he says rather bluntly. "Can you do that sort of thing?"
Xian
Demon

Postby Maximillian Caine » Fri Dec 24, 2004 12:40 am

Ma took on an affronted look.

"What, you think I some tracking tikkitkki? Why not just leash me!"

That said....

"Hmmmph. Well, I think I heard some spider sounds this way. And, you know that drider has a thing for mushrooms. Did it steal some? If it stole super-spicy mushrooms, I smell out those, for sure!"
Maximillian Caine
Nether Spawn

Postby Starlitdragon » Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:49 am

"Hmmm.." mumbled Athaeyen, as she rumaged through her pack. Her search yielded half a dozen large mushrooms. She delicately nibbled one. "I'm afraid I only seasoned a couple of these. They aren't super spicy, but.." she took a deep breath, nostrils flaring slightly. "It's my own special recipe. Ginger, salt, and a pinch of this and that. I think there might be a couple missing by the way. "

She finished the mushroom. The sharp flavour and mild bite revived her a little. "I'm sure Ypresiika isn't too far. Let's find him, tie him up, and use him as cat-bait." a wry smile accompanied her latest attempt at humour.
Starlitdragon
baneling

Postby Xian » Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:55 am

(Insert apology for absence.)

"Hey," Athidus says with a dismissive wave. "We've all got our talents. You've got a better nose and ears than I do, and I've got eyes. I'll read signs, and you can sniff things out." His abrupt awakening by the waelinider had caused Athidus to lose a little of his tact and good cheer, and he didn't really feel like dealing with overly-sensitive people at the moment.

Athaeyen's comment instils a little more energy in the assassin, and he offers a lopsided grin, looking in the direction he had been tracking Ypresiika thus far. "I'm sure that badly violates several rules within the Bel'drobbaen clan, but I get the distinct feeling that you honestly don't care." He appears to understand that it is merely a jest, but it's fairly obvious by his smile and demeanour that he would be perfectly willing to if it weren't. "If you can smell the mushrooms that he stole, Ma, then you're in the lead. Otherwise it'll be slow going while I follow the drops of blood."
Xian
Demon

PreviousNext

Return to Drowtales Roleplay Archive