Archive of the pre-timeskip roleplays. If you wish to continue a pre-timeskip roleplay, you'll have to do so in the DT Freestyle subforum! PM Thalar to have a thread moved from this subforum to the Freestyle subforum.

The Crossroads - Outskirts of Chel'el'Sussoloth [PRIVATE]

The Crossroads - Outskirts of Chel'el'Sussoloth [PRIVATE]

Postby Starlitdragon » Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:31 pm

Purpose (OOC): This is part two of the Beldrobbaen RP. If you have made contact with my character, Athaeyen, in Ssussunul, than this is the place you should be now. Our journey begins here. [EDIT]We are no longer accepting new players. If you are looking for a place to go, I recommend one of the public threads such as The Black Dragon Tavern.

Setting:
The faint howl of the beasts that haunt the fringes of drow society can be heard - if you strain your ears. Gravel, dust, and boulders litter the faint path, marking the seldom-used nature of the thoroughfare. The chilly breath of darkness closes in on you, stiffening your fingers; in fact, the situation is perfect for an unexpected ambush.

This is the way to the wilds of the Beldrobbaen, a far cry from its former state years ago, when the clan was in its prosperous years. Now, it has dissolved to a brooding place for those rejected by the light. Yet, it is the -safest- way for those wishing to find the Driders.

The crossroad is bitter to travellers. Any who have tread this place know the single goal of the darkness is to merely swallow those that dare walk its faintly etched path. Many an unskilled mercenary has lost his way here, never to have the light of Chel'el'Sussoloth shine on him again. Echoes of their spirits are said to join the symphony created by a traveller's footsteps.

Be wary. For the toll of the Crossroads continues to mount.

Story:
Welcome to the Crossroads. As stated before, this is the way to the wilderness inhabited by Driders under the wing of the Beldrobbaen. Upon reaching the starting post, it is a two-day journey to the hidden hive of the Driders in danger of the -creature- that has decided to slaughter them. The path can be fraught with many dangers, and getting lost is a norm here. Your goal is to make it, party members intact, to the destination point.

Good luck.
Last edited by Starlitdragon on Thu Nov 25, 2004 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Starlitdragon
baneling

Clan: Illhar'dro

Postby Starlitdragon » Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:50 pm

The remarkable pace at which Athaeyen left the city also left her legs with a burning sensation. The former sorceress felt disgusted with her lack of physical ability. Sometimes it couldn't be helped- there just wasn't a whole lot of opportunities to train when she was on tedious missions involving large amounts of timing and diplomacy.

She was the first there, though that was to be expected. Mentally, she wagered how many would actually turn up for this mad enterprise. The odds careened in her head as she strained her ears for footsteps. An eerie howl winded in the distance. The perpetual chill did not aid matters either, but Athaeyen cared little.

The toy front, the expected mannerisms for one of her status: they all became void outside of the city's glare. Meron shuffled about, obviously not sharing his protege's lighter mood.
Starlitdragon
baneling

Postby Onizuka » Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:12 am

Briefly losing sight of his next paycheck, Shiv'arl wondered if he had lost her. Blast she moves faster than I thought one so spindly could. She may have greater strength than I first thought. Seeing a shadowy figure ahead, Shiv'arl raced to it. Upon catching up to Athaeyen he stopped. He desired to speak with her, but decided that now was not the time. Impatiently he tapped his foot as he waited for the other members of this group. In this quite place, his mind can't help but wander. Driders, why did it have to be driders? I have enough trouble with all the crap I pick up from a normal mind, let alone the chaos of an insane drider mind. I just hope I can keep it together this time. Silently Shiv'arl shudders from memories past.
Onizuka
Great Teacher

Postby HavocHamster » Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:14 am

This place disturbed Yul'kalim to no end.. It was just like this before they entered that forsaken land 2 years ago...

No! You musn't think about those times! You must forget them.. but the darkness... I can hear her screams.. but I can not find her.. where has she gone? The screams.. echoing through that forsaken ruin..

Yul finally snapped out of it to see that he had finally arrived at the designated location. He saw the dark clothed figure of Athaeyan standing at the crossroads. But it appeared no one else had arrived yet. Although Yul could occasionally hear a faint footfall in the distance.. He hoped it was his fellow mercenaries.

"I have arrived My- Athaeyan. I was not able to purchase everything I needed but I hope that I have enough."

The alchemist had been out in the wilderness before. He had a rudimentary knowledge of some of the wilderness around Chel'el'sussoloth. Although this place was completely alien to him..

And of course, Say would always accompany him back then..

No! Don't think about that.. just look to the future.. forget the past..

"Ahem.. I am sorry, My mind wanders off on occasion. When will the others be arriving?"
HavocHamster
Demon

Postby Starlitdragon » Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:26 am

Athaeyen mentally ticked off the two new arrivals. Arousing herself from her musings, she smiled at them. "Thank you for coming. Yul'kalim, I do not know when the rest are arriving, but we shall be departing within the hour. Our footprints should be easy enough to follow. I fear I may have tarried too long in Ssussunul. No matter, I will explain the mission as we go along.. I have no desire to repeat it."

Both seem uneasy. Was this a good choice? Should I have gone alone? No, that would have been suicide. I have walked this path several times, there is little to fear. But alas, those times were with only myself, and I attract far less attention. And the beasts that dwell here are disturbed: I have little doubt the Drider murderer is the root. There will be a confrontation before long..

((OOC: Bah, dinner and karate calls. I will return tommorrow! Beware!))
Starlitdragon
baneling

Postby HavocHamster » Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:38 am

((Mmm.. Dinner.))

Yul began to set up his equipment on a relatively flat surface. He didn't unpack all his tools. Just a simple burner, his mortar and pestel and some various small flasks and vials. He lit the burner and set a metal bowl into a specialized frame that held it just above the flame. He pour a greenish substance into it and let waited for it to boil before he added some sort of powdered fungus to the brew. It let of a horrid stench as Yul began to mix the concotion together.

"This is a fairly simple recipe.. I could teach you it if you would like. It creates a salve that when applied to a wound will reduce the risk of infection and allow it to heal faster. Although it only works with fairly minor injuries." The alchemist stopped and took a whiff of his creation. A satisfied look appeared on his face and he began to pour the contents of the bowl into an empty glass flask. He then put a cork into the flask and left it to cool.
HavocHamster
Demon

Postby Onizuka » Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:44 am

Shiv'arl noticed the movements of the alchemeist and shifted his position to get a better view of what he was doing. He warily eyed the concoction that Yul was brewing. There doesn't appear to be anything poisonous in the mixture. Perhaps he is trustworthy after all. His future actions will be a better judge.
Onizuka
Great Teacher

Postby Kite » Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:57 am

Behind Meron is a scraggly looking lizard pulling a wagon. From the looks of it, the lizard seems unfriendly, and isn't taking well to being tugged around forcibly by the guard.

After securing the reigns of the lizard to a bit of rock, he searched into the back of its wagon and started to pull out crates. "If they do not arrive soon, then they can bask at the dusty trail of our departure," Meron said as he stacked the crates next to the lizard, "I care little for tardiness."

As they waited, Meron was busily hitching the cartons of supplies onto the scaled back of the giant lizard. The lizard, lurching forward from the heavy weight of its burden, growled angrily and attempted to roll the supplies off its back.

"Stupid beast!" Meron lashed out, frustrated, "Stop squirming!" The lizard yowled in a deep tone, shuffling its feet as Meron attempted to latch on another crate of supplies.

"Yowrrrl...!" The lizard cried, shaking its back, sending boxes crashing down. "Rrrg! I'm fed up with you!" Meron yelled furiously, bruising the lizard in the leg with a swift kick to its leg. In pain, the lizard reared up, throwing everything off its back, then jumped about uncontrollably. It ran in circles, restrained by its reigns that were tied to the rock nearby.

Meron attempted to control the beast, but was knocked aside consistantly. Out of breath, he was content to sit aside, out of the range of the lizard's reach, and watch the beast tire itself out as it ran in circles.

"Someone please deal with this creature before I put it out of its misery."

(Hee hee. No, the lizard isn't telling Meron to stop squirming. Just a bad case of sentance placement. :-P )
Last edited by Kite on Tue Oct 26, 2004 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kite
Mary Garren

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Postby Onizuka » Tue Oct 26, 2004 1:00 am

"Whoa!" Shiv'arl quickly jumps out of the way to keep from being trampled by the lizard. I should help, but I won't. Serves that uppity prick of a guard right too for treating the animal so. Might knock him down a peg or two as well.
Onizuka
Great Teacher

Postby Xian » Tue Oct 26, 2004 1:56 am

Ah, the memories, Athidus thought as he tread quietly upon the dusty, rarely-used road. Now safely away from the city, Athidus paused a moment to tuck in his shirt, exposing the multitude of tools, vials and pouches upon his belt, as well as his two, trusty daggers. He rolled up his left sleeve and tucked the edge under the leather bracer containing his throwing daggers, and continued on his walk towards the crossroads, enjoying the silence of his surroundings. Chel'el'sussoloth was crowded; it was rare that a moment of true silence could be enjoyed, and he would, even if it was taken in a place as dangerous or lonely as the path to the crossroads. How many times have I been here, he asked himself, taking in the familiar surroundings. Most of the time, it had been on business.

Athidus' brow creased and his lips turned down slightly, frowning as he paused. "What in blazes is that racket..." he murmured, crouching down. It sounded chaotic, whatever it was. "Sharess, have they gotten themselves ambushed already?" It took several seconds of concentration, but Athidus was able to flatten his aura against his skin and disperse his body heat to the point where neither could be seen, and he advanced upon the echoing noise cautiously, though with some speed. His fingers twitched near the handles of his daggers, but he knew that drawing pre-emptively might deprive him of the precious element of surprise. Dim figures, lit mostly by the heat of their bodies, entered Athidus' field of view. And then there was the lizard, glowing with exertion in his infravision as it ran, panicked, in any direction its reigns would allow. "By hell," he whispered. This was shaping up to be one hell of a journey.

To anyone looking in Athidus' direction, it might seem that he appeared out of thin air, as his aura and body heat suddenly sprung to life about fifty meters away where complete darkness had once been. He approached with his hands in his pockets, whistling a tune to himself, though it was hardly audible over the racket the lizard made. He passed a quizzical glance at the panicked lizard as he passed by the radius of the reigns, then dipped himself into a low bow to Athaeyen.

"I'll spare you any elaborate dialogue," he said offhandedly, and with a smile entirely too easy for the tension of the location. "I'm ready to begin."
Xian
Demon

Postby Maximillian Caine » Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:01 pm

"Sooner or later, the wilds will get you"

Ma reflexively flexed his right hand as he remembered the words of Oldest Grandmother. Years of training in the wilds taught him that lesson very well. Unfortunately for his masters, that training couldn't hide his burgeoning excitement.

The closer he got to the limits of the city, the more excited he was at the prospect to whatever his Mistress had planned to do. Blood pounded through his veins as he thought of what the final objective could be. Was it a raid? Some message delivery? Perhaps a little sabotage? (Oh please, let it be sabotage!). Whatever it was, the wilds would make the trip dangerous and the thrill of danger drew Ma like a moth to flame.

Despite Mistress's admonishion to keep close, Ma had dawdled, his mind in a fantasy world of derring-do and swashbuckling that would give Errol Flynn a run for his money. By the time he had caught up at the rendevous..

Well, Sharess be praised! A chance for a little excitement already! Lizards were stupid and bone-headed. You could beat one to death before it got the point. However, they had their weak points..... *

"Alchemist! Something cooling! Quickly!"

Lizards were sensitive to heat. Even Underworld lizards had temperatures they operated optimally in, and if you took it several degrees below what they liked, they grew sluggish.

While that was going on , it was necessary to release the thing from it's current state. That was only aggravating the thing. At the same time, one couldn't very well let the creature run off loose!

"HAII-YOIII!"

So Ma did the only thing he thought sensible. Danger-seeking loon that he was, he tried to vault onto the back of the beast so he could untie it from the reins!

* Given the amount of time Ma has spent formally training in the wilds, I'm going assuming almost DnD Ranger-like competence about Ma's understanding of Wilds-related critters and domesticated variants of.
Maximillian Caine
Nether Spawn

Postby Starlitdragon » Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:14 am

Athaeyen leaned over, quite interested despite the putrid smells emitted from the plying of the alchemist's craft. "It would be very kind of you, if you could teach this--" The unearthly screeches emitted by the lizard and the comotion caused by its unruly nature cut in. "Perhaps a little later, Yul'kalim. It seems as if I have a problem to attend too.." She approached her guard and the struggling lizard.

"Tsk." Athaeyen furrowed her brow. "Meron, can't you keep a hold of that--" The sight of the Xuile'Solen messenger's sudden entrance, and the solution proposed by his rash actions interrupted her. "Ma! Get down from there!" Without waiting for his reply, she rushed forward and tried to grasp hold of the beast. The following event made her realize her slight build only made her an easy throw. Jerking startlingly, the lizard tossed her down on to the dusty path. "Not a good idea.." she muttered. "Ma, please don't freeze our supply hauler! Try and calm it down with conventional means. If it isn't ready to move in one minute, I claim the right to blast it. And Meron, do try and pick a more docile beast next time.."

"Hmm? Ah yes, thank you for coming, Athidus." Athaeyen brushed the dust from her midnight clothing. I must be going blind! He appeared from the air! Skill in concealment.. That will be useful..

The lizard was still in a berzerk state.
Athaeyen tried to cow the lizard with a glaring contest, but the dumb beast's mind seemed to only be on causing as much disruption as possible. Athaeyen had enough. A little trick she had learned from her sister gleaned through her trove of memories. Murmuring the arcane words to create a temporary mist of shadows, she effectively darkened the lizard's world. The stupid beast, upon realizing the dimming of its already murky vision, panicked, and stood stock still. A few minutes later its sight would be fully restored; however, in its current, more manageable state, the creature could be properly tamed. And she knew just the male to do it.

"Meron, you have two minutes to calm this thing down. Starting now."
Starlitdragon
baneling

Postby HavocHamster » Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:30 am

The Alchemist remained quiet throughout the whole commotion. He managed to cook up another jar of salve and had set it aside to cool. The first jar had been knocked over and shattered by the rampaging lizard.

"Beasts have a way of detecting danger before we can... " The Alchemist said suddenly. He then returned to his work.[/i]
HavocHamster
Demon

Postby Xian » Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:11 am

An alchemist, Athidus noted with pleasure. I wonder if he knows anything I might be able to use... Now, however, isn't the time to ask. He would not be quite so glib about his methods and tactics in public. He elected to wait, and ask Yul about poisons after he had gotten to know everyone a little better. After all, first impressions are everything, and it was likely better not to let people find out he was trained as an assassin until he could use it to save the day. People were generally comfortable with thieving sorts, but assassins seemed to be universally distrusted. And with good reason.

"Ah, are you well, Athaeyen?" Athidus asked with a blink, quirking his brow yet higher with a touch of concern in his voice upon witnessing the fall. "I've little skill with mounts and pack animals, I'm afraid, but that lizard is making noise enough to attract every drider within several miles. I daresay if he keeps it up, we may just draw whatever's killing them here." Athidus' voice was still casual, and his expression was lit with playful sarcasm.

Never the less, at the end of his sentence, he withdrew the composite shortbow from his back and slipped an arrow on to the string. "I suppose one can never be too safe," he added with a more serious expression.
Xian
Demon

Postby Starlitdragon » Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:16 am

((Blast simultaneous posting. I'm editing to include a response to Xian))

"Indeed." smiled Athaeyen . "However, we should be safe enough for several hours. Yul'kalim, please don't get too settled: we are leaving quite soon. Ah, I'm sorry about that." she pointed to the sticky contents of the shattered jar.

Athidus' words drifted over. "Yes, I am fine, Athidus. Meron should be capable of handling this." She threw a slightly irritated look at her guard. "We are not far from the City, so an ambush shouldn't be imminent.. However.. A party attracts far more attention than a lone traveller, so caution is a good idea." Athaeyen broke off, tapping her foot impatiently. When she judged enough time had elapsed, she decided it was best to get a move on. First, the explanation..

"Well, some of you may be wondering what the promise of Ada, and the hints of Driders has been about. This is a clan affair, obviously, Beldrobbaen. You needn't worry about being involved in politics- our mission only involves tracking down the -creature- that has been slaughtering the Driders under our protection. I will not pretend this is an easy mission. We are likely to get lost, as the path we're searching for has hardly been used. Be prepared to meet Streekaiders and their ilk. If you are poisoned, we have an alchemist on hand." Athaeyen paused, and made a little bow to Yul. "It is a two-day journey to the Beldrobbaen wilds. Upon reaching the border, I insist upon as much concealment as possible. I do not wish to be ambushed before we make contact with the Driders. I will need a messenger to go ahead and warn them of our arrival as well. Ma, you will serve that purpose well. Without further adieu, let us depart."

Now the beginning of the end..
Athaeyen began to make her way into the obscure darkness. "Oh.. And if you see a.. Monster.. Please don't make a whole lot of noise when letting us know we're about to have our heads ripped off." she smiled. "Talking is OK for now, so feel free to get to know one another. And don't be afraid to approach me. I won't feed you to Meron." She glanced at her escort. He seemed to be doing a fine job of calming the lizard down. Beckoning casually, she continued down the scarcely-tread path. Athaeyen noted the fine footprints they made. We are terribly easy to track. Who else would go here? Eh, we don't have the time to cover our traces up. And who would be insane enough anyway to follow us? Wait.. I don't want the answer to that question...

((OOC: Hectate wanted to know if joining was possible. I want to ask you all first before I give a green flag. Do you mind if we have another player? I suggested Hectate go into an opposing party by herself for a while, under the employment of another wonderfully mysterious noble. Please PM me or make the OOC statement, otherwise, I will let her join tomorrow.))
Starlitdragon
baneling

Next

Return to Drowtales Roleplay Archive