Archive of the pre-timeskip roleplays. If you wish to continue a pre-timeskip roleplay, you'll have to do so in the DT Freestyle subforum! PM Thalar to have a thread moved from this subforum to the Freestyle subforum.

(Newbies testing ground) School

Postby Xian » Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:24 pm

"Well, you aren't expected to write it in iambic pentameter or anything. The last thing Xian wants to do is go through a post in Shakespearian. It's supposed to be written in prose; that's what anything that isn't poetry is. There's no problem with your background, but it would really help if you spaced out your paragraphs a bit more. You know, put a line between 'em." The old man offers a shrug and a shake of his head. "Other than that, there were just a couple of confusing sentences in there, nothing really major. If it was anything earth-shattering, Xian would have refused the character."
Xian
Demon

Postby Meekachu » Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:30 pm

She sighs in relief. "I'm glad of that. Okay besides the spacing problem was it an issue of grammar or concept inconsistancy or spelling?"
She flips through her notebook slowly going through the sumission she had made.

"I have the tendency not to notice my own mistakes when I go back to reread something. With that in mind if I do begin to RP will i still be able to wander back and sit in and ask questions?"
Meekachu
Summoner

Clan: Illhar'dro

Postby Xian » Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:35 pm

"There were a couple of grammar issues, and a few missing words here and there," considers the old man. "Oh, yeah, this place is open to anyone. Your character won't literally have to leave their Rp to come to this room to ask questions; you're welcome to sit in for your character and do the asking. I wouldn't really worry too much about your grammar and spelling. Just make sure everything looks tidy, and that's at least three-quarters of the battle."

"Just remember, throw a space in between paragraphs, like this," he says with a gesture towards the previous, blank line of this dialogue. "Big blocks of writing can sometimes be a little intimidating."
Xian
Demon

Postby Onizuka » Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:35 pm

A middle-aged man walks in just in time to hear the latest question. He is in a fine suit, with a pocket watch and a monocle. "Well certainly young person. This is a place of learning, I can't see why you would be banned from here. But like it has been said by those before me, most question can be answered in the world setting pages. Other than that, have fun." With that, he takes a seat off to one side of the room.
Onizuka
Great Teacher

Postby Meekachu » Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:51 pm

"Thank you. I will try to do my best and remember that."
She scribbles a note into her notebook at the top of a blank pages. She flips back through the book to a previous page. Looking up at the new voice she stares in confused facination at the new fellow who has entered the classroom.

"But are there levels to the drow nobility like those found and used in various countries such elite, peasants and then slaves and then the break down between all of those various groups?"
Meekachu
Summoner

Postby Fountain Dragon » Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:15 am

*frowns*

My apoglogies for disturbing you once more, Greybeard. But I have found that I missed part of my original characters biografy that I had in fact forgotten until being recently reminded off.

And they were in fact a important development of his persona before the Great Purge.
Fountain Dragon
Summoner

Postby Xian » Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:43 am

"Well, sure, why not?" the old man shrugs, arching a grey eyebrow. "Naturally, there are higher nobles and lower nobles. Minor nobles of the house don't really do too much; they tend to be the warrior and guard types. There's sort of a medium-noble tier that involves lieutenants and captains of military orders, scholars of Faerns and Yathrines, religious figures, things like that. Then there are the higher nobles, of course. The people who run the show, give orders, and make decisions. In general, these are the characters mentioned in Kern's worldsetting pages, and interaction with these figures is sort of a no-no, for the sake of continuity."

"Commoners and slaves are separated by a fairly thin veil, really. Commoners are allowed to forge their own path through life, but nobles can still demand anything they wish of a commoner, and in large part, they'll be obliged pretty quickly. Slaves are slaves, plain and simple."

At Fountain Dragon's statement, the old man scratches his forehead briefly and scowls. "Well, you could always re-submit it, then, if it's that important."
Xian
Demon

Postby Fountain Dragon » Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:53 am

I have done as you recommended, Greybeard. Thank you for your aid.
Fountain Dragon
Summoner

Postby Meekachu » Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:29 pm

"UUmmm," she said looking up from her notebook she raises her hand.
"What would you consider a well composed post?"
Words have power...
Meekachu
Summoner

Postby Xian » Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:35 pm

"Well," the old man considers. "You could look at Rasen's posts for an example of exactly what a good post consists of, though I don't think anyone expects you to live up to that level of writing. For a slightly less elegant, and much more succinct kind of post, go look in the Crossroads and Pillar of Light areas for Starlitdragon's and Xian's posts. Shiv'arl has a couple of good ones, and Kite made a few posts as an NPC named Meron a while back. They're all good examples."
Xian
Demon

Postby Meekachu » Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:44 pm

"Would you be willing to look at post and point out the error in it?"
She asks as she flips through her notebook.
Words have power...
Meekachu
Summoner

Postby Xian » Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:48 pm

The old man nods once and offers, "Sure, post it here or direct me to it, if it's already up somewhere."
Xian
Demon

Postby Meekachu » Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:03 am

"Okay the last post in the Black Dragon Tavern. I know there needs to be something more but I'm not exactly sure what it is missing."
Words have power...
Meekachu
Summoner

Postby Xian » Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:19 am

After reading the submission over, the old man lifts his shoulders in a helpless shrug. "Sometimes, they can be short. You don't have to write a book about tapping someone on the shoulder. I think that post is just fine the way it is. My only suggestion is that, to speed up play, since this is a forum roleplay and people can't always post right away, include any questions or dialogue your character might have in the same post as when you try to get their attention. This means less tiny back-and-forth posts, which can sometimes take days at a time for a minute's worth of conversation."
Xian
Demon

Postby Meekachu » Fri Nov 12, 2004 9:13 pm

"Umm okay that is completely understandable."
Reaching up she scratches her head in thought.
"What if you are RP and other ideas concerning your character comes up that could be in relation to thier history do you need to add it or do you need to send it to a GM? How exactly does the GM work in DTFFRG?"
Words have power...
Meekachu
Summoner

PreviousNext

Return to Drowtales Roleplay Archive