Archive of the pre-timeskip roleplays. If you wish to continue a pre-timeskip roleplay, you'll have to do so in the DT Freestyle subforum! PM Thalar to have a thread moved from this subforum to the Freestyle subforum.

(Newbies testing ground) School

Postby HolyGuard » Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:11 am

*bows* thank you that is all i needed plus a little extra :D
HolyGuard
Tainted

Location: *sees a map* U R HERE!....thats where i am guys *points*

Postby Fountain Dragon » Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:34 am

*bows* Many thanks, greybeard. May your sagely advise keep coming and coming, like a espresso machine on a work day. *Throts off to make a bio*
Fountain Dragon
Summoner

Postby Val'eolus » Sat Nov 06, 2004 3:44 am

Xian wrote:The crotchety old man cranes his neck slightly to catch a glimpse of Hecate, then furrows his brow. "Half who-whats in the where now? Wait just a minute..." With that, he flings open the drawers to his desk and tosses papers left and right, making a rather thorough mess of the classroom. "Races, races, races..." he mumbles, until he finally comes up with a sheet of paper and a triumphant grin. "Ah ha!" He slaps the paper down on the desk and scans over it, his expression darkening.

"Half drow? Missy, I think you need to do your homework! Half-drow don't exist in this here world, or leastways, you can't be one. Go take a look at all the fancy worldsetting pages posted in the registration thread, and the races reference sheet."

Why can't they? I'm sure that the leaders among the drow ravish their slaves quite often, so why wouldn't a child result from this?
"You don't need a reason to help people" -Zidane Tribal, Final Fantasy 9

"Problem? What problem?"
Val'eolus
Tainted

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Postby Sarah » Sat Nov 06, 2004 4:55 am

After staring out into space for most of the class, the girl once again raises her hand. "I also have another question. How does one come up with names for drow? I mean...I realise you can't call them "Bob Smith" but...do any of the names have meaning or do you simply try to find/come up with something that sounds pretty elvish?" The girl's raised hand then falls back down on her desk, as if it had died.
Sarah
Demon

Clan: Vloz'ress

Postby Xian » Sat Nov 06, 2004 8:32 am

"Names, huh? That's not a really big criteria; you can get by with pretty much anything. We have some fairly human sounding names. Let's take Mat, for example. A character with a long, successful history and a nice, simple name. Try to make it sound spiffy, though!" The old man nods his head resolutely. "Drow names usually involve a few X's and Z's here and there. Work one of those in and you're pretty much set!"

"Oh, yeah, and about the half-drow," the old man clears his throat. "It just doesn't work. Take it this way: Drow are fae, humans are goblinoid. The two just don't mix. On top of that, drow and elves don't much mix either. Maybe it's possible, who knows? But if it ain't on the races reference sheet, the only person who can approve it is Kern, and he's likely to send it back to Xian, who will say no on the spot."
Xian
Demon

Postby Val'eolus » Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:47 am

What about all Drow, but different types of drow? Like half Drowolath and half Drowussu? Would that work, with a convincing background?
"You don't need a reason to help people" -Zidane Tribal, Final Fantasy 9

"Problem? What problem?"
Val'eolus
Tainted

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Postby Xian » Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:21 am

"Nope," the old man says flatly. "Maybe it should, but it doesn't, 'cause they aren't on the races sheet. The only person who can decide that kind of thing is Kern, and he's just as likely to forward it to Xian, who will once again say no, because it ain't on the races sheet." The old man offers a shrug. "Maybe it's a flawed system, but it's the system none the less."
Xian
Demon

Postby Meekachu » Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:38 am

She walks into the classroom and takes a seat. Pulling out a slightly battered notebook she flips through it and then raises a hand in question.
"How does one more about a specific clan and the concepts associated with them or their beliefs? Are there any characters or NPCs that we cannot have or will not have contact with? "
Meekachu
Summoner

Clan: Illhar'dro

Postby Xian » Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:46 am

"Well, as a general rule of thumb, if the name appears in the comic, Xian won't let it pass because it might interfere somehow. The deal is that your characters shouldn't really interact with the story in the comic in any capacity, and that includes knowing your characters." The old man taps his nose, apparently in deep thought for a few seconds. "As for the other bit, pretty much all the info on the clans available is on this page." With that, the old man turns and scribbles the following down on the board:

http://www.drowtales.com/mainarchive.php?location=20030622

"Check that, and the specific clan pages listed in the encyclopedia thread. The NPCs might give you a better idea of what the clans are like, too."
Xian
Demon

Postby Meekachu » Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:44 am

"The only thing that can come from comic/mangas are the clan names themselves and most of the characters would fall under the lesser nobles and below? Or did I miss understand?"
She pulls a pencil from her hair and copies what the old gent has written on the board into her battered notebook and then read through the assigned text carefully. She looks back up with a still slightly confused expression on her face. "So the qualities and characteristics of the NPCs can be used as general stereotypes of veiw of the various clans through the eyes of outsiders? Will there be a dictionary of all the titles and DT specifics words?"
She pauses with mouth open to ask another question when she snaps it close suddenly and smiles sheepishly. "I do apologize sir in my want to learn and know more I didnt introduce myself. At the moment I'm Meeka and I want to attempt make a rather interesting character that I can play for a long period of time."
Meekachu
Summoner

Postby Xian » Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:09 pm

"Well, if you take a look at the clan NPCs, you'll see that they only really list the really important ones," the old man notes whilst stroking his beard, which he may or may not have had a few minutes ago. "If you mean what you can have in your background, that sounds pretty much accurate. You don't want to mention any of the really important nobles, for example. Clan names are obviously fair game, and lesser nobles that you make up shouldn't cause a problem for Kern."

After Meekachu finishes the reading, he offers a single nod. "Right. Those characters are sort of like representatives of their clan. Remember that you don't need to emulate them or anything, because drow are individuals before clanners. 'Less they're heavily tainted, mind you," he adds as an afterthought. "I don't think we can count on a dictionary coming out any time soon. There's a page of noble titles posted in the Worldsetting pages in the Encyclopedia thread, if that helps any."

At the introduction, the old man nods curtly. "Yeah, I hope so, but don't substitute 'powerful' for 'interesting.' And it is best if your characters have enduring personalities so that you don't get bored of them. There was a real problem with that before the Great Purge (TM). Good luck on that, and I'm always here if you have any other questions." The old man pauses briefly. "Really, I can't remember the last time I left this room. I don't think I ever have."
Xian
Demon

Postby Fountain Dragon » Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:53 pm

*coughs and raises his hand*

Your attention please, good Greybeard. I wish to know some of the dark's on the humans from the surface.

What kind of cultures do they carry? For example, are they technologically advanced enough to be able to create something like full plate gothic armor, something which would be quite an engineering and smithing feat.

Or are they more simple and still require the peasants to make a side earning in creating the many rings needed for ringmail? *Which is actually more expensive for a single piece of armor due to the pay having to be given to many people rather then a single smith*
Fountain Dragon
Summoner

Postby Xian » Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:00 pm

"Weeeellll, that all depends, sonny," the old man returns to stroking his beard. "Like in all settings, there are different cultures, and each culture has a different way of doing things. There are probably kingdoms capable of crafting this 'gothic' armour; heck, drow armour is a feat of engineering in itself. But I wouldn't count on laying your hands on a piece unless you're both noble and fabulously rich, no matter how arguably inexpensive the stuff is."

"There are also going to be cultures that have to divide up the task, as you mentioned. More successful kingdoms will have better tools of warfare. But keep the technology down; we're still in an era of swords, magic and bows. If Xian sees any guns being waved around, he's going to get frisky."
Xian
Demon

Postby Fountain Dragon » Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:19 pm

No worries, there Greybeard. *Bows*

Besides, Gothic armor is about the finest armor ever made by humans on this place called earth. So finely made and fitted to the body you could make a backflip in it and land on your feet.

(On that note: Might I state I HATE how Hollywood turned all images of knights in plate armor to be clumsy and slow as molasses. Where the heck did they get that image. *mutters some more*

Now all I must do is find a human that could afford owning that and has some outrageous reason to be insane enough to go down to the Drow world.
... Oy. Not going to be easy. *Goes to get coffee*

Actually, good Blood. I carry another question for you.

is there any idea what the surface world knows about the Drow? Are there a few places that have contact with them through trade and all, or is the knowledge more widespread around the world?
Fountain Dragon
Summoner

Postby Meekachu » Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:20 pm

"Okay I've created the character and there are still problems with it. I'm not really sure how to tell a character's background without falling into prose or close to prose. I also know its missing thing but I not sure what else it is missing besides the things that were mentioned."
She pipes up suddenly after reviewing notes and ideas again.
"Okay what happens after the whole character is created and approved?"
Last edited by Meekachu on Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meekachu
Summoner

PreviousNext

Return to Drowtales Roleplay Archive