Archive of the pre-timeskip roleplays. If you wish to continue a pre-timeskip roleplay, you'll have to do so in the DT Freestyle subforum! PM Thalar to have a thread moved from this subforum to the Freestyle subforum.

Putting the sunken ship back a float

Postby GameStar » Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:39 am

That might work... but I'm not sure how that'd work out. I've done some research on that system. That might require people to actually have "stats" though... and I don't like the idea of mixing RP with math. Say if we don't though, the way that works is there would have to be like... one story teller per thread that popped up. The way the FFRPG works is threads arn't really stories as they are places where people RP at, unless it's changed. People move from one thread to the next most times. I guess if one story teller was for a set group of a few people it might help, but then people mingeling together might be a problem. Plus there's a lot of reading to understand the system, would definitly turn away newer people and some of the older ones might not like that type of RPing.
Dragondung= 1: A superb agricultural ingredient 2: A colloquial expression for extreme anger, one that holds connotations of something hot, steaming, unpleasant, and rather too large to deal with When compared to cats, GS was completely dragondung.
GameStar
Warrior Poet

I think it's possible...

Postby Maximillian Caine » Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:47 am

...to divorce the GM-mechanism from the rest of the system. The rest of it we can jettison. The basic mechanics as I see it are:

1) Referees/Narrators are not called in unless they are necessary - either to arbitrate a situation, play as an NPC or some other necessary role which either requires, or would be useful to have a ref.

2) Storytellers handle the overall shape of the plot for Drowtales FFRPG. This does not meant to say that players cannot make their own plot, but by having a default "plot setting", players always have something they can work in. Storytellers also have dibs on all the bigwigs, as their decisions affect the rest of the game.

3) Narrators have the power to enforce the plot developed by the Storytellers if it becomes necessary.

EDIT: Aheh... after looking at the "Now Hiring!" thread, I feel that the suggestion I raised is now a moot point.
Maximillian Caine
Nether Spawn

Postby Kite » Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:14 am

This does beg the question:

Will the storybased threads be optional or mandetory?

To address the concerns that Gamestar has expressed, there are people who would prefer the style that was used before the reform. I think this is fine. :) The GMs (Such as Geldorn and I for Chel'el'sussoloth) would not be needed in those threads, since they are entirely player driven.

Some people enjoy having the unexpectant force that is the GM, and much of what Maximillian described caters to that. (In fact, I would go so far as to copy-paste that description since it is done very well.)

It is a method that needs experimentation. Though I was curious about holding it off until the forum was good and comfortable again. :)

I think we can find a medium between these two playstyles, but the final decisions are Kern's. I'll need to sleep on it. :)

For now, I am supporting Starlitdragon's plot line-- If there are any areas people would like to see posted so that they can roleplay, please let me or Gelorn know. I'll get back to this in the morning. :)
Kite
Mary Garren

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Anything I write here....

Postby Maximillian Caine » Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:48 am

...feel free to copy and paste as you see fit. I'm glad I can be of some use.
Maximillian Caine
Nether Spawn

Bossman Xian, an idea if I may?

Postby Maximillian Caine » Sat Oct 23, 2004 2:01 am

Drowtales FFRPG, like all internet based games is a International game, played over the world at different times in different places. Because of this disparity in time zones, I believe certain players are going to find it difficult to keep up with threads if everyone believes they are operating in the same range of time zones, and posts accordingly. furthermore, not everyone has the same life, therefore, they will have different levels of posting ability. I think it'd be a good idea if in the registration thread we also put:

a) Which time zone you subscribe to (GMT, PST, etc.)

b) When you expect you can post to an RP (A rough estimate of "times a week")

Prime example. I'm a Brit, it's currently 0255 GMT where I am, and I am staying up very, very late into the morning. During the best part of the week, I can't do that, as I'm off to bed by 2200 GMT. So I'm going to edit my profile to indicate:

I'm GMT

and

I post two or three times a week.

I also think it's be a good idea to put up a "Leave of Absence" thread and sticky that, so when people need to go, they have somewhere specific where they can say "Off for X amount of time, for Y reason. Seeyez!"
Maximillian Caine
Nether Spawn

Postby Kite » Sat Oct 23, 2004 2:41 am

Ah, of course.

I'll make that thread, as a purpose for people to announce that they are 'signing off'. However it will not be stickied-- that way it will be easier to notice when someone posts on it.

As for the time zone-- Xian just might agree to that. :p
Kite
Mary Garren

Postby Xian » Sat Oct 23, 2004 7:10 am

Since you titled the post with "Bossman Xian" and appealed to my extremely swollen head, I'll throw in your idea in the registration thread. I think it's a useful little tidbit to know about players, and might even help form groups who can conveniently interact with one another.
Xian
Demon

Reviving an old idea.

Postby Maximillian Caine » Sat Oct 23, 2004 1:53 pm

Prior to the Reset, Poet had installed a "The Story So Far" thread, allowing us to keep track of all the stories that were going on in the forum. I think this was a neat idea, and I'd like to ask if I could revive it. I'd be happy to maintain a chronicle thread that summarises stories as they go on. Can I do this?
Maximillian Caine
Nether Spawn

Postby Kite » Sat Oct 23, 2004 4:50 pm

Please do. It won't be sticked much like the "I'm OFFLINE" thread, though.
Kite
Mary Garren

Re: Reviving an old idea.

Postby Kern » Sat Oct 23, 2004 7:17 pm

Maximillian Caine wrote:Prior to the Reset, Poet had installed a "The Story So Far" thread, allowing us to keep track of all the stories that were going on in the forum. I think this was a neat idea, and I'd like to ask if I could revive it. I'd be happy to maintain a chronicle thread that summarises stories as they go on. Can I do this?

feel free to
Kern
Yan Gagne

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Re: Reviving an old idea.

Postby GameStar » Sat Oct 23, 2004 10:00 pm

Maximillian Caine wrote:Prior to the Reset, Poet had installed a "The Story So Far" thread, allowing us to keep track of all the stories that were going on in the forum. I think this was a neat idea, and I'd like to ask if I could revive it. I'd be happy to maintain a chronicle thread that summarises stories as they go on. Can I do this?

Hehehe, that was my idea >.> Anyway, yes, it'd help. Mainly for the people that jump in later and have no idea what's going on. If the FFRPG is to be handled the way it was before, it's incredibly hard to know whats going on if you're not actually there when it's happening. Anyone wanting to take on this task by themselves though earns my instant respect... that'll probably be quite a feat to keep up with.

I suggest getting a couple of the GMS to abridge what happens in the place as best as all you can put together, then make a short story out of it or a history sheet or something to that effect.
Dragondung= 1: A superb agricultural ingredient 2: A colloquial expression for extreme anger, one that holds connotations of something hot, steaming, unpleasant, and rather too large to deal with When compared to cats, GS was completely dragondung.
GameStar
Warrior Poet

Previous

Return to Drowtales Roleplay Archive