Archive of the pre-timeskip roleplays. If you wish to continue a pre-timeskip roleplay, you'll have to do so in the DT Freestyle subforum! PM Thalar to have a thread moved from this subforum to the Freestyle subforum.

Leisure Area and the Pillar of Light [PUBLIC]

Postby Starlitdragon » Sun Oct 24, 2004 2:34 am

((OOC: [EDIT] Because I'm a major twit, I didn't read Yul's updated bio. Ignore my ramblings about a flashback. ^^; ))

Athaeyen swiftly hid her confusion. Well.. He is an alchemist afterall. An eccentric lot, or so I've heard. But he is a Ver'drowendar.. Unusual to say the least for his profession: it is usually only the Sharen, summoners, and Yathrines that choose that path. Perhaps a trauma in the past? I pity him.. For I don't know what is to come either..

"Well, I am told I have a very common face." smiled Athaeyen cheerfully, trying to keep the mood light. "Here is some ada. Please let me know if you need more. The times you have described sound perfect. Thank you."

Athaeyen turned, and decided against attending to the Xuile'Solen immediately. The alchemist's 'recollection' made her uneasy. She walked over to the low-key shop that had set itself up in her midst, hoping a little bartering might lift the atmosphere.
"Greetings merchant.. How much is the obsidian dagger?" Athaeyen pointed at the curved gleaming blade. It was high time her chipped iron one was replaced. And she did have the financial means..

((OOC: Havoc, I think Ravinous is selling some potion ingredients too, so you can pick up a few if you like, instead of heading off to the markets.))
Last edited by Starlitdragon on Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Starlitdragon
baneling

Clan: Illhar'dro

Postby Ravinous » Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:27 am

Gion looks up at her.

"You are interested in the obsidian piece? Yes it is fine peice of work. The blade is 100% pure obsidien from an ancient and long dead magma flow close to the city, the handle is cast iron, covered in surface cow leather, a fine import that I came across in this town, very rare down here," he began, holding up the blade for desplay, trying to angle it to best reflect the light to show the blades glass like surface, his voice calm and inviting. "Though and iron would be cheaper, obsidian has a finer edge, good for cutting... hmmm, I would say 90 ada. A fair price for a nice blade I would say."

He smiled gently, waiting a reply.

'Maybe my luck for the day has changed! But another who practices alchemy... hmmm a danger to business, though he looks like he is more into the explosives than the medical,' he thought shrewdly, still keeping his composer on the outside. 'I might be able to pass off some of my saulve recipes to him for a price, or trade of any thing rare he might have...'[/i]
Ravinous
Demon

Location: In the wonderful state of Nirvana... quite literally. >.>
Clan: Vloz'ress

Postby Starlitdragon » Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:33 am

"Ninety ada? You jest with me merchant. You would be lucky to fetch half that price. Obsidian has a tendancy to break when it is of a lower quality.." Athaeyen tried to study the blade more carefully, particularily, the sheen dancing from the edge. "I will give you thirty-five ada for that."

Mmm.. Bartering. The last time I've done it.. Ah well, better not to remember. Such fond memories. But the Xuile'Solen bothers me a little.. His role described in the scroll.. What if I lose him? I will be in deep trouble, and yet, if I refuse him.. That's not an option. The noble he serves would be very offended: something I can't afford right now. So, I will take him. He will prove useful.. I need a messenger. But this is getting more complicated by the second.. Oh dear.

((Post was edited to include some inner thought. Max, I will get to you soon. Also, Ranvinous, are you interested in joining our crazy little party with the driders? Just making sure before I hit you with my mad ad campaign.))
Starlitdragon
baneling

Postby Ravinous » Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:45 am

"As I said, this blade is one-hundred percent pure, cute with the grade of the flow, thus the mirror like face, if it were not, the sides would be rough or the light bouncing off would be distorted and bent," he said. "Of course if you would like a demonstration..."

Gion pulls a small piece of bone.

"Iron, though good for weapons, it still a soft metal, making it difficult to cut bone with... but obsidien is a sharp rock, it does not mold and must be cut, and if cut right..."

He puts the knife against the bone, and makes a quick slash, cutting the bone in two, with a perfect straight cut.

"I do not haggle for less than 60 ada at least, I am not a fool when it comes to selling things, unlike surface merchants. Even then they do deserve there low prices, since they do not even know how to make quality obsidien blades. I'm sure my little demonstration will speak for itself."

His attitude had gone shrewd, but of course, what merchant isn't shrewd at heart. He regained himself.

"Other objects here might also serv you as well," he said. "I'm actually at best with medical items, most of my tools, including my daggers, are specially made to be tough for use in medical alchemy. This means enough quality to even strike through a thick hide, bone, and flesh in a single movement for gathering key ingredients..."
Ravinous
Demon

Postby Starlitdragon » Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:53 am

Athaeyen was impressed, though she kept her face impassive for the situation. "May I check the balance?" she asked politely. "Sixty ada is still quite high for a small weapon as this however.. And I am not looking for something that cuts prettily." Athaeyen cast a disinterested look upon the rest of the merchant's wares. She already had an iron dagger, chipped as it may be. She was no alchemist- thus why she had hired another to play the role. Sixty ada would mean dipping into her own wallet as well. The chances of a mutual agreement beneficial to everybody seemed to be rapidly disappearing.
"I am sure you are no fool, merchant. What do you do when not trying to sell things?"
Starlitdragon
baneling

Postby Ravinous » Sun Oct 24, 2004 4:06 am

"If your that interested, I work at creating my wares. Though most are medical and alchemy tools, such as the dagger you see," He said. "I also do light armor and weapons. If you are looking for a good tool for battle, a 15 ada iron dagger instead, since this is cheaper, and can take side blows to the blade, since the metal is malable."

"Other than making tools, I do medical alchemy, and small time healers work, using the saulves, antidotes, and other ingredients you see before me. I also know a fair share of sorcery, but that is natural if your born of former noble blood," as he said this he looked scournful when he mentioned noble. "But I have cut all ties long ago and refer never to worry about that agian."

Noticing he was trailing up, he once again, as before, regained himself.

"Ahem...Otherwise I pretty much sit around and sell what I create," he said. "Now may I interest you in an iron dagger instead, they might suit your need for battle, and are lighter on the purse, if you catch my drift."
Ravinous
Demon

Postby Starlitdragon » Sun Oct 24, 2004 4:38 am

Athaeyen laughed. "No thank you merchant. Already have one of those, worn as it may be. I'll pass for now. The obsidian is sorely tempting, but I'll probably break it. Perhaps when I return from my mission. Good day." She nodded her head respectfully, and began to wander off to the direction of Ma. She stopped at the prospect of having to talk to him. There was nothing wrong with Ma personally of course, but.. He carried all connotations of the clan she despised. Ma may not even belong to the same clan.. she chided herself. But his choice of attire doesn't help at all.. He dresses like.. Me.. Because he has to? Do I have to? Why am I doing this? Why can't I just- Athaeyen surfaced from her brooding thoughts in time to side step the same furitive male that had accosted the alchemist earlier. She opened her mouth to make a comment, but closed it, thinking better. She had a professional attitude to keep, and losing her temper at the dregs of drow society would not do.
Starlitdragon
baneling

Postby Ravinous » Sun Oct 24, 2004 5:01 am

'Ah well, can't when them all,' he thought, looking about the crowd.

Gion continued to sit on the corner, hoping to peddle his wares to anyone that was interested.
Ravinous
Demon

Postby Maximillian Caine » Sun Oct 24, 2004 5:20 am

It was... disconcerting. Almost twenty five years of training hadn't prepared him for the way the drowish noblity traded him around like a bolt of cloth. What was it about him? He tried his hardest to fit in, doing everything he could to disguise his true nature. Wasn't that enough?

Ma felt the gentle footfall of his new Mistress, and snapped to attention. she would't find him lacking!
Maximillian Caine
Nether Spawn

Postby Starlitdragon » Sun Oct 24, 2004 2:07 pm

"Greetings, Ma. I apologize for the wait. As per the instructions you have carried to me.." Athaeyen's hand unconciously tightened on the scroll. "You are to be part of my expedition to the Drider lands. I hope you are prepared for a difficult journey. I will have need for your services before it ends. Now tell me, do you have any experience in battle?"

If I lose him in one, I'll be up to my neck in trouble. But the letter was quite commending in other areas as well.. The Xuile'Solen traditionally have wonderfully acute senses that will prove dreadfully useful when we must track.. That.. Thing.. Wait! We don't even know if its a drow doing the killings! Great.. Really.. Great.
Starlitdragon
baneling

Postby HavocHamster » Sun Oct 24, 2004 6:04 pm

The Alchemist approached the vendor after the Athaeyan had left. He began to eye his wares, especially his Alchemetical reagents.

"Hmm.. I need half a pound of Gyr'tl fungus, 3 Mad Cap Mushrooms, 5 quarts of dragon blood, 1 pouch of volcanic ash.. " Yul trailed on with his list of ingredients for some time. When he finally finished he looked at the Merchant. "How much will that be?"
HavocHamster
Demon

Postby Ravinous » Sun Oct 24, 2004 6:17 pm

Gion opens his pack to check for a few of the ingredients, rather happy with the large order.

"Yes yes... Gyr'tl is about 5 ada a pound, so we'll round it down to 2 ada since your buying more than just that," he says, continuing to run through his items. "Mad caps are 2 ada a piece. A gallon and quart, five quarts in your words, of dragon blood is quite a big order, and expensive..."

He rumages through his wares until he pulls out five large bottles of liquid.

"Dragons blood is rather expensive and hard to come by, and seeing is I only care two gallons at most, your order is quite a big one, making a powerful explosive I guess. Let's see, 200 ada a quart, 1000 ada. Are you sure you need that much dragon blood? If you do, I'll gladly throw in the rest for free, since the cost will cover them and the overhead, this includes the Volcano Ash, with would set you back 10 ada."
Ravinous
Demon

Postby HavocHamster » Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:16 pm

"1000 Ada!? I could pay less then that to hire a mercenary to kill a dragon for me! I'll give you 150 ada for it."
HavocHamster
Demon

Postby Ravinous » Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:35 pm

"I'll call your bluff, since mercenary will not kill a dragon and drain the blood for such a low price. They will probally take 500 ada to kill a single dragon, but will not give the blood away, since they know they can sell it. Dragons blood is rare to come by on the markets, all other parts included, and the order you ask is a big one, usualy it's only bought by the vial, not the quart," he says loudly, making sure gaurds can hear this. "You shoulld not try and fool a merchant with such falsities, as to claim a price that is much less than what it is worth, especially being an Alchemist, have honor my dear man!"

"Trying to con a poor merchant by abusing your vast knowledge of chemicals. I dare say I think your trying to a pull a fast one on me! There is probally only a few others in this city who would even sell dragons blood! And now you have the audacity to claim that I am lying about prices that are even less than the others. My dear man, if you want a smaller price, then order a smaller order! I was even kind enough to include the rest of your order into the price, giving you free supplies with your blood of dragon!"

He checks in a side glance to see if he got any gaurds attention, along with other merchants, who would probally be quite angry to here someone trying to get out of paying a fair price.

' It's sad I must use this tactic,' he thought. 'But it cost me 500 ada for this order, and I'm not going to lose profit to another alchemist.'
Ravinous
Demon

Postby Maximillian Caine » Sun Oct 24, 2004 9:41 pm

Ma bowed to Athaeyen, and drew his tonfa. He then presented the left-hand one to her for a closer examination. The glossy surface of the weapon was marred and pitted by scratches. Ma pointed at a section mid-way which was particularly pitted and cross-hatched

"Dru'chii". Eaters. Degenerate Drow whose preferred diet was live, healthy Drow.

He pointed to another section near the leading edge. Here, an acid burn ran several inches up the tonfa

"Cave Fisher". A creature of the wilds. They liked to hang from ceilings and snag unwary prey, bringing them up to be enveloped whole.
Maximillian Caine
Nether Spawn

PreviousNext

Return to Drowtales Roleplay Archive