Archive of the pre-timeskip roleplays. If you wish to continue a pre-timeskip roleplay, you'll have to do so in the DT Freestyle subforum! PM Thalar to have a thread moved from this subforum to the Freestyle subforum.

RP Restart

RP Restart

Postby Poet » Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:30 am

I'm going to be closing down the RP shortly and restarting it with a new set of rules, and a few extra mods. Everyone will need to re-register, and one of the rules will be a minumum 250 postcount to insure that the people RPing are less likley to register, be approved, start something, then vanish.
People interesting in MODing the new RP should PM me. I'm also going to be PMing a few people I want specifically for it.
Duties of mods will be simple: Be sure no one is godmoding, being a pain in the ass, or breaking any other rules.
Character approval will remain my duty alone.
Poet
Demon

Postby HavocHamster » Sun Oct 17, 2004 1:20 am

Well, I've noticed alot of the rpers have post counts below 250.

Maybe you should make it 50?
HavocHamster
Demon

Postby Xian » Sun Oct 17, 2004 1:51 am

When I read this post, my first thought was “doom,â€
Xian
Demon

Postby Kite » Sun Oct 17, 2004 2:54 am

Xian summed it up.

Imposing a 250 post minimum seems more like a knee-jerk response to the problems you mentioned, Poet. Registered players are more likely to abandon a thread once it becomes uninteresting-- this is not the fault of their post count, but the lack of active players to interact with.

So if a player's loyalty relies on how interesting a thread is, then it would be safe to say that we simply need more compelling topics with richer stories. Again, this is not the fault of a player's post count; it is the fault of the player. There are better ways to address these problems-- not by restricting the playerbase, but by promoting the roleplay.

I will happily write out suggestions to help streamline the registration process and new rules, but expecting the quality of roleplay to improve with the 250 post minimum is a no-go.
Kite
Mary Garren

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Postby Starlitdragon » Sun Oct 17, 2004 3:31 am

I'm really sorry if I must disappear for a while after this ruling has come into effect: I'll try and post some more so I can rejoin the Lost Village as soon as possible. I have no intentions of disappearing on Drowtales, unless the site tragically disappears.

Personally, I do not agree with instituting a 250 post count minimum. It will definitely not improve roleplaying: prospective roleplayers needed to make this FFRPG work will most likely be deterred from even starting. Unless I spammed my first 250, I would not have joined this FFRPG, nor have met the other great RPers in here. I would like to say, this is my first time I actually had a roleplay session that went over three days.

I understand your frusteration Poet at users that simply post their registration, and then go 'Poof!'. I know I must have looked like one of them with my 5 post count character bio.

Xian and Kite have beaten me to all the other things I want to say. So I hope I can still roleplay after adding my two cents. Thank you.
Starlitdragon
baneling

Clan: Illhar'dro

Postby HavocHamster » Sun Oct 17, 2004 3:36 am

If we need better storylines. I could pitch in and help. I've been told I have a knack for such things.

And if you guys do get kicked out of the FFRPG forum. You could check out some of my RPs in the Chat Forum. Daleras is one the I am currently working on.
HavocHamster
Demon

Postby Poet » Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:51 am

Alright, I will reconsider the minimum post count. But something is going to have to be done. I'm afraid part of the problem with the people who are damned good at RPing in here is that they're leaving because of issues with the not-so-good RPers. Perhaps requiring paragraph-style RP will also be something I do.
Any who, the closing won't occur for a few days--possibly more than a week, depending on how much I work--anyway, so go ahead and put any input you have in this thread. All things will be considered (except for the inevitable "omg, you are teh suxxorz poet!!!" I'm going to be PM'd with after everyone's read this thread. *sigh*
Poet
Demon

Postby Poet » Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:53 am

Claiming double posting right as mod:
PS if you want to get in touch with me about anything
AIM: PoetDesmond
Yahoo: Worloq
MSN Messenger: worloq@msn.com
email: webmaster@quietrebellion.com
Hit me with your best shot. Be sure to include your forum alias with any messages sent on any of these, whether of not you've contacted me by any of them before. I'm terrible with names. ^.^
Poet
Demon

Postby HavocHamster » Sun Oct 17, 2004 5:22 am

Frankly, I don't see any reason to restart this forum.

Just delete the threads more then 6 months old and we should be okay.

People posting once and leaving will happen no matter what. And making the rules stricter will only drive more away.

Not everyone are elite rpers. And if the better rpers can't accept that.. well..

I don't know what to say.. but I don't really think this is the answers.

I think its just a natural lull in the rp forum myself.
HavocHamster
Demon

Postby Kite » Sun Oct 17, 2004 6:21 am

If anything, the character registration needs to be reorganized. I threw up something quick to illustrate.

------------------------

The character you register must be approved before you may participate in the roleplay.
Poet may go through submissions once every 1-2 weeks.

No idle chatter in this thread; only character submissions. If you have questions, PM Poet.

Player etiquette:
  • Read the Drowtales webcomic.
  • Don’t control anyone else’s characters unless you have their permission; let people decide how they react to you on their own.
  • Do not God mode or Power play.
    - Power Play: Power-play is when you attack a person, or use some sort of special power, without giving the person you're attacking a chance to defend themselves.
    - God Mode: God mode is when you make yourself invincible and undefeatable. Either that, or you completely ignore a wound inflicted or a potential wound inflicted.
  • Do not God mode or Power Play. You get one warning, then we smack you up. I can’t be clearer than that.
  • Don’t kill anyone unless you agree on it first.
  • Mass killing NPCs without giving the GMs the chance to fight back IS god mode.
  • When creating a new thread, it helps to have a friend or two to start it up.
  • If you need the help from a NPC to solve a problem, call Poet or MAT for help.
  • Above all else: have fun.
Character Creation:
  • Stay away from over powerful character, it will be more enjoyable for you and the others if you start with medium abillity.
    - Example: A sorcery along with a specific combat or magical skill is perfectly fine. To have 5-6 sorcery along with your own house and a dragon pet is not fine.
  • Mysterious origin is not a valid character background.
  • You may register multiple characters, but they cannot interact with each other or be in the same thread.
  • If it is easier for you, read the threads first and search for a RP you want to join; build a character according to it, and make your character fit in.
  • This isn't DnD drow. Remember that at all times.

Character sheet:
  • Name;
  • Age;
    - Drow age at a rate of 1:2; If they are 20, they appear a child-like 10 in human years.
    - Your character might be too old to remember his/her age, but still write it because you know the age of him/her.
    - World Setting page on Drowtales' aging.
  • Race;
    - Only choose those that have appeared in the main comic.
    - You can choose a mixture of these races, but keep in mind that only fey can reproduce with fey, and goblinoids with goblinoids.
    - Read the World Setting pages on Drowtales' races.
  • Weapon(s) of choice. Don’t over do it.
  • Background;
    - Be sure to include your Clan. (Read the World Setting pages on Drowtales' clans.)
    - Remember, not everyone has some quasi-mysterious origin.
    - Describing a battle does not qualify as a background.
    - If it helps, outline key points in your character's life which define who they are.

World Setting pages:

Mana and Aging;
More about Magic and how it is used;
Magic and Demons;
Different perspectives of the Goddess; Religion;
Professions of a noble Drow;
Drowtales Races;
Races continued; Driders;
Races continued; Light Elves, Dark Elves, Goblinoids, Dwarves;
The city of Chel'el'sussoloth;
The World of Drowtales;
The Matriarchal society;
About Dwarves;
Drow weapons and armor;
Creatures of Drowtales;
About the Drowussu;
Drow individuality and sexuality;
Drow Noble Clan/House;
Drow Food;
Example of armor;
Drow Age/Generations;
Drow motherhood;
Types of Magic;
Tainting and Seeding;
Buildings of Importance;
Buildings of importance continued; Clan halls;

Clan: Vel'Sharen
Clan: Val'Sarghress
Clan: Val'Sullissin'Rune
Clan: Vel'Vloz'ress
Clan : Val'Kyorl'Solenurn
Clan: Val'Beldrobbaen
Clan: Val'Ilhar'dro

Remember, don’t RP 'til your approved. And don't post anything in
here but character submissions.

-------------------------

There are other ideas I would like to throw in also, such as allowing the thread creator to define their own rules. For example; I wish to start a new thread in which I am a 'Dungeon Master', run in a very pen & paperish fashion. ;) I know there are people out there who would enjoy such a thing.

In addition, Poet, perhaps you should run a routine of approving/disapproving character submittions at least once a week. If a person submitted a character for the purpose of joining a specific thread, it would be unfortunate if said thread concluded/died/closed before they could participate. Also, having an idea of how long such a process would take is nice to know.

HavocHamster: I do not approve the deletion of a thread just because it is old. If restarting the forum is defined as deleting existing threads, then the forum is dead.
Kite
Mary Garren

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Postby GameStar » Sun Oct 17, 2004 3:17 pm

[quote="Xian"]When I read this post, my first thought was “doom,â€
Dragondung= 1: A superb agricultural ingredient 2: A colloquial expression for extreme anger, one that holds connotations of something hot, steaming, unpleasant, and rather too large to deal with When compared to cats, GS was completely dragondung.
GameStar
Warrior Poet

Postby Krystle_dream » Sun Oct 17, 2004 6:44 pm

I do love to Roleplay here...in fact, I hunger for a good tumble in the roleplay sheme of things. It's just...well...the last roleplay I was in, the player was not so great, although I must add that he stopped responding, not I.

If somebody wants to start a new roleplaying thread, let me know, via pm.
Where do you go when you're gone...
Krystle_dream
The Chibi Naga

Clan: Vloz'ress

Postby Mat » Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:18 pm

Becoming active again seems no problem by now again... lifetime didnt grant me too much time in the last months... but it settled again... <.< So.. if anyone wants to have an old Merc... let me know XD
Love Like You've Never Been Burned, Work Like You Don't Need Money,Dance Like There's Nobody Watching,Kiss Like Your Tongue Is On Fire, live like there is no tomorrow,Sin Like There's Nobody judging.

Certified Grandpa of the forum
Mat
Vel'akar

Postby Krystle_dream » Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:20 pm

It would be nice to restart the old thread...
Where do you go when you're gone...
Krystle_dream
The Chibi Naga

Clan: Vloz'ress

Postby Gelorn » Mon Oct 18, 2004 2:57 am

Im still playing. Its just no-one has used the armoury thus I havent played at all. I may make a new character to be active with but I decided against it recently due to everyone being in once place and I didnt want to make it have more people in it. The character will probably be a big cat, wolf or dragon and I can put a sign on the armoury saying "No pets" so My characters cant interact.

But I like the idea Poet of a minimum post count. Too many people sign up to RP's and never come back but are normally key characters, which is hell annoying...
Gelorn
Vel'akar

Next

Return to Drowtales Roleplay Archive