Archive of the pre-timeskip roleplays. If you wish to continue a pre-timeskip roleplay, you'll have to do so in the DT Freestyle subforum! PM Thalar to have a thread moved from this subforum to the Freestyle subforum.

Surface - Crossing the Desert

Surface - Crossing the Desert

Postby django » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:42 am

He never understood how anything could live out in the desert, let alone people. When the sun is high, it can be unbearably hot and when it's gone, the nights are cold as winter. Out of all the places hes been too, this has to be the harshest.

Trinita stood on a hill watching what the locals call a marriages. Behind him was the Caravan his team traveled with. Human slavers mostly but theres also some traders going to the capital of this country. Most of the woman in the caravan dressed up like the Jaal'darya, covered from head to toe with cloth, while men who were traders dressed in long robes. The richest of them, a man named Khelru Stan rode an elephant and owned most of the wagons, carrying black slaves collected from another country. His warriors were all men, and they dressed in fine scale mail and favored spears, curved swords and shields. No so different with any other human army.

Trinita would have preferred to travel with only his raider companions but it appears there is a civil war happening and for safety sake, they traveled with the well armed caravan. Khelru seemed to have a fascination with elves and even had a few with him as his personnel slaves.
django
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Re: Surface - Crossing the Desert

Postby Rilla Treespirit » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:09 am

Ilnari'se was sitting in the shade of one of the wagons, sharpening her bastard sword. She tried to spit on the whet stone but found her mouth to be too dry. She took the tiniest sip of water. It was too hot, the sun too bright and she was surrounded by scuttling humans, it was irritating but all in all she didn't mind too much. The desert was a change of pace and the humans mostly gave her a wide berth, the exception being the rich one on the elephant and a few of his soldiers. The one thing that niggled at the back of her mind was that her water sorcery wouldn't be very effective in such a barren land. The caravan had stopped for some reason or another, she really couldn't be bothered to find out why. If it was important she'd have heard about it by now.

A few more strokes and she lifted the weapon up to examine the edge and grunted, pleased with her work. She wondered idly where and when they'd get to refill their water and whether she should bother walking up a hill in this heat just to ask, as she stared at the blade twisting it this way and that, making sure it was equally lethal all along. Finally convinced that the edges were acceptably sharp she set about ensuring that the point was sharper and pointier that any other pointy thing you could possibly imagine. She decided against climbing the hill. It wasn't worth the effort when she could always ask after he came down.
Rilla Treespirit
Demon

Postby django » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:36 am

Trinita descended down the hill with little trouble. They were far enough in the desert that all he could see was plains and sand dunes. They were probably two weeks of travel from any civilization. He wondered what Ilnari'se was handling things in the heat. She was large even by female Val standards and she had to be tallest person in the caravan.

He was weary of her the first time they met, if only because of her intimating size and the two very large swords she carried around. But as it turned out, she was friendly person to be around. Trinita took a spot beside her, trying to get out of the heat. "How are you holding up in this heat Ilnari'se? Drinking lots?" He looked up at her. As the groups doctor, he asked that question a lot since they started this trip into the desert.
django
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Rilla Treespirit » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:11 pm

Ilnari'se kept sharpening her sword. A waste of time really as the sword couldn't get any sharper. She didn't look up as Trinita walked up and sat next to her. She didn't react until he spoke. Then she looked up startled.

"What, oh yeah I'm fine." she blinked at him, and took a few sips of nice cool water to wake herself up a bit more and to assure him that, yes she was drinking properly. "Just sleepy coz of the heat I spose." She shook her waterskin experimentally, trying to gauge how much she had left. She already knew she was running low, the water sloshed about at the bottom noisily.

She chuckled, "Maybe I should get meself a bigger skin, or another small one. Don't suppose you'd know when we'll get a refill?" She avoided the second question as best as she could, she wasn't going to outright lie after all. She'd drunk little since yesterday, when she'd realised she had a lot less water left than she'd thought. She'd run out much faster than the other raiders but she was too proud to ask for water they needed themselves.
Rilla Treespirit
Demon

Postby django » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:09 pm

"We should be able to refill in a few miles a think. Caravans like this, like to keep close to water sources and along trade routs. Out there-" he looked at the desert landscape "- there's not much out there but sand and bleached bones. " Trinita glanced at the large elephant as it tromped by. Its brilliant robes and gold jewelry glittered in the sun light.

"Besides to water a beast like that, he would have to keep a large water supply around." He took out his water skin and handed it to Ilnari'se. "Here take my extra. You need it more then I do, your larger person after all." Trinita gave a warm smile at his large friend. She did not have to ask him, he knew how to read the proud the types ever since he was raised in hospital and he was always the type of wolf to go out of his way to help his pack.
django
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Dice Warwick » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:26 am

Near the back of the caravan, Warwick sat calmly at the front of the wagon next to it's driver. Her clock was draped over her, as it was too hot during the day to wear it, but it did well to block the sun. Though this was the hottest traveling she had ever dealt with, she was doing just fine, as she had been properly pacing herself with the water she had, and it also helped that she held onto an empty bottle of boos she had found, and used to hold some extra water. Warwick was hired on as a guard for this wagon, though it was more her being a Drow then for her sword arm, as the human goblins tend to acted more carefully when one of her kind is around.

The wagon was heading to the capital caring a load of silk. including Warwick, there was 6 people riding the wagon, two males, for females, with Warwick looking most out of place, but that was mostly the point. As far as she could tell, the eldest male was moving his mate and children to a new home, though she was still unsure if it was the silk, or one of the younger females that was to be traded for this new home. The job itself would have been simple endeavor, if it was not for the younger male, who seemed to eye her wherever she whet, even when she try to wash herself. If the other female goblins were not around, Warwick may not have been able to wash herself at all during this job.

Despite the less then desirable situation, Warwick was in a better mood. In truth, Warwick was lost, and had been trying to find other Drows to help her back to the underworld, so coming across the Sarghress on this trip was like the Goddess has shown her some mercy. Warwick had gotten lost after taking a job for an expedition to the surface, but got left behind along the way, and seemed to only get farther from home every move she made. So once this job was done, she planed to travel with the Sarghress until they return to the underworld.
Dice Warwick
Morrock Oracle

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby django » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:38 am

"I'll be damned, I know that drow." Warwick, what was she doing up here and in the desert? "Hey Warwick!" Trinita gave a shout and a wave to her. She was not the type to talk much, but he did enjoy her company when they did hang out. It was odd to see her traveling with a bunch of human. Perhaps something happened to her last... hope it wasn't serious.

(Small post)
django
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Dice Warwick » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:40 am

!!!, having someone yell her name in a place were there sould be nobody she knew was a bit unsettling for Warwick, but having a Sarghress that seemed to know her in a friendly way would be even better luck for her. Thinking about it, she did not know many Sarghress, and most of them were not on a first name terms, so the only Sarghress she could think of that would be friendly was Trinita.

Warwick struck her right fist into her left palm, "Ah ha!, that has to be Trinita!... I think." She did not feel like getting off the wagon at the moment, so she just waved within her clock, keeping it safely over her, blocking the sun. She didn't remember seeing him among the other Sarghress when the wagon joined the caravan the day before, But she didn't put any effort to know about Sarghress she would be travailing with, a bad habit of hers. "Well you being here is fortunate for me."
Dice Warwick
Morrock Oracle

Postby Rilla Treespirit » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:20 am

Taking the waterskin Trinita gave her she muttered a token protest "It's not like I really need it or anything... But thanks." She avoided his eyes, fixing her eyes on her sword, a little embarrassed that she'd been seen through so easily. Not that she was really surprised; She was an easy person to read and she knew it.

Trinita's sudden exclamation and hailing of a friend surprised her. Giving Trinita a confused look Ilnari'se wondered how on earth he could randomly find an old friend in such a place. She stared over at the wagon and the rather startled looking drowess, who waved back at him. She shook her head a half smile on her face.

"So is this really a coincidence? You sure she's not some kind of fiendish stalker who followed you to the surface, or perhaps a mate you haven't cared to mention?" Her eyes glittered in teasing amusement. She raised her hand in a half wave to the one on the wagon before turning back to Trinita. She indicated herself as she finished her final sentence: If it's the last one there's going to be at least one disappointed wolf around here.

((Yay for exams being over and done with!!!))
Rilla Treespirit
Demon

Postby django » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:18 am

His grey eyes told her he was just as surprised as she was about meeting Warwick out here. "No, shes no mate of mine, although I wont rule out Warwick being a stalker. Wont know for sure until we ask." Trinita turned to Ilnari'se with a friendly and honest smile, "Come on let me introduce you." Trinita motioned her to follow.

Walking away from the shady spot, he moved over to Warwicks wagon "What brings you up here and so far from Raven? Is there a drow caravan with us now?"
django
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Dice Warwick » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:08 am

Warwick gave a long breathy sigh. "If there is one, it is defiantly in a cooler place, far from here." She now had an frustrated, and irritated look on her face, as she stared into the horizon. "I'm actually making my way back to Raven, a contract I had for a caravan expedition unexpectedly fell through, and now I have been trying to find my way back, but I can't even read the damn maps up here." Warwick looked back to Trinita, looking less dejected, but the heat was still keeping her in a bad mood. "so were are you headed?"
Dice Warwick
Morrock Oracle

Postby django » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:11 am

Trinita saw the frustration in Warwicks face and felt sorry for the poor girl. He couldn't imagine being left behind by his team mates. "Your going in the wrong direction if you headed back to Raven, were headed to a city called Tirk." He pointed in the general direction, farther into the desert. "Theirs a lot of political things were suppose to look into, trading reasons mostly. Were also suppose to look around for relics or anything of special interests if we come across some. The usual thing."

He really wanted to help Warwick but there was little he could do for her... unless the commander would let her come along for their trip. It not unheard of for some groups to hire local or outside help if they needed it. Warwick seemed more helpful then some Sarghress's he has met. "I cant make promises but I could talk to the commander and see if she will let you come along with us. If she does, I can promise you we wont leave you behind when we head back to Raven." She was complaining about being short handed.

It was just then, Trinita realized he forgot about Ilnari'se. How embarrassing. "Warkwick, let me introduce you to my good friend Ilnari'se." He said with a bright grin.

(After this post I'm going to wait for Rilla.)
django
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Rilla Treespirit » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:06 am

As she noticed the surprised look in Trinita's eyes and heard his next words, Ilnari'se chose to simply nod and follow him in silence. She moved slowly with a lazy gracefulness to her walk. Upon reaching the wagon she stood a little behind Trinita, looming over behind him in a deliberately intimidating manner, it was her usual response to those friends of her friends she didn't know.

She didn't know this drowess or why she was here so she wasn't about to smile and give a cheerful hello. Even after her explanation she stayed quiet, her eyes appearing cold and indifferent, despite the twinge of sympathy she felt.

Trinita set about explaining where they were headed and offered to talk to the commander for this Warwick, which to Ilnari'se seemed unnecessary; If she could travel to the nearest city with the caravan she could travel back with the next one just as well and find her way from there. A few directions for where to go after that were quite enough. Then again, they could use an extra pair of hands she supposed. The commander would decide, no reason to dwell on such things.

The sudden introduction startled her from her thoughts, she gave the woman a long, long look and a small measured nod. Her friend's happy smile made her feel she felt obliged to speak so the words, "We meet in a Goddessawful place Warwick," found their way out into the air, reluctantly. She was still looming over Trinita, as though to protect him from the woman. She had the faint suspicion she'd get scolded for it, her habit of deliberately scaring off any unknowns exasperated a few of her more social friends however useful it was when on duty.
Rilla Treespirit
Demon

Postby Dice Warwick » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:14 pm

Warwick was less unfazed by the lady Sarghress and more oblivious to unintentional intimidation, she had never been good at reading people, it was probably the main reason she was a guard and not a merchant in her family caravan. "It would have been at least nicer if it was in a bar, with ale, any ale at this point." She fluffed her cloak a bit, but the hot air did little to cool her down, so she sighed. "it being cooler would help too" Warwick then reach out her hand to shake "I'm Warwick"
Dice Warwick
Morrock Oracle

Postby django » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:39 am

Trinita did not know at first Ilnari'se was giving Warwick one of her 'looks'. But when he did turn to face her, he saw it and it sent a cold chill down his spine. Ilnari'se is a very, very large wolf, she's at least two and half heads taller* then Tinita, and she knew how to use her presence well. It didn't take him long to realized, she was only doing her protective look, i.e dont mess with my friend.

He was thankful... no grateful, that she felt that way about him, even if he thought it was unnecessary. It always felt good to know he had friends like to watch his back on this mission. Warwick on the other hand seemed to be unfazed or indifferent about Ilnari'se cold looks. That lady had some serious stones or just didn't notice...

"I don't recommend you drink any ale while the great ball of fire is up. As the doctor and somebody who has been in this place before, I say wait for nightfall. This place you can get dehydrated too quickly, if you don't watch yourself." Like Ilrnari'se and the rest of the team found out, Trinita wont forget to remind you. He always did care about his friends and teammates, even if he's a little peristant about their health.

(5 '9' compaired to 7 '2' that sound about right?)
django
Dragon of the Nether

Next

Return to Drowtales Roleplay Archive