Archive of the pre-timeskip roleplays. If you wish to continue a pre-timeskip roleplay, you'll have to do so in the DT Freestyle subforum! PM Thalar to have a thread moved from this subforum to the Freestyle subforum.

A long voyage home. (Privet)

A long voyage home. (Privet)

Postby django » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:16 am

Port Farsund is of the larger human cities this far north and as far as Mae was concerned one of the hospitable ones. Most of the buildings here were made out of logs, only the Nobles and Lords could afford stone keeps. Even the roads were mostly mud at this time of the year.

Mae and her group came to this town after finding some evidence that some elf ruins could be in the area. It was a long search finding them in the dense forests but they struck pay dirt. One of their bigger finds was a dark elf marble statue of a Baroness. That would catch a fair price in Chel.

Now with winter nearly upon them they had to make a choice. Stay for the winter and wait it out, or find a ship that will be willing to take them south before the seas are unsea worthy. Mae didn't like the idea of staying in this town longer then she could help it. Last night the peasants were in a frantic witch hunt that lead to three burnings and a stoning.

Mae was inside a stable guarding their statue while the other tried to find a ship to take them south. “Piss on this town and their winters.” Mae cursed to no one but herself. “That preacher and his church are as crazy as the Kyos.” She didn't like being here by herself.
Last edited by django on Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
django
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Re: A long voyage home. (Privet)

Postby Zenzetra » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:06 pm

Uuera'unkara Nori'fu Sarghress felt very out of place in this town so devoid of reason. In fact she looked very out of place with her blue highland-issue armor and wolf's-head helm. She held the helm at her side letting her long, braided, red hair fly in the quick gusts of wind that kicked up across the bare streets.

The azure-clad wolf's boots were caked with mud and the purple gem on her forehead seemed to glower at the outside world from it's perch between Uuera's brows. It didn't catch the light anymore as her eyes do, and her mood seemed a little worse for wear to match.

Uuera came to the docks and searched around for a foreman or shiphand so she could get her party and their statue out of this backward port town. As she traversed the docks slowly she could feel the eyes of uneducated halmes tracking her, picking her apart and reacting uneasily to her ebony complexion.

The Sarghress girl had then come up to what looked like an inviting commercial ship. Before she approached she shined her jewel-eye, raised a hand and tried her best to smile.

"A great windy day is good for the sails. Do you have a moment?"
Zenzetra
Tainted

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby django » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:39 am

(Zenzetra your more then welcome to add what ever you want to the story, as long as it makes seance that is.)

The second mate, a small and sturdy looking fellow who's face has seen a harsh living that made him look almost twenty years older then his thirty winters. Petsy wouldn't admit and hid it from his face well enough but as he turned to see tall black elf it startled and sent a wave of uneasiness through him.

"Aye it is. What brings one of the dark folks to the ship yards? Your types arn't know for the seas."

"Now I remember why I hate guarding. Where the hell is my leave and why the hell am I talking to myself-" She was about to rant some more to her stone companion when the stable door opened.

Loosening her grip her spear, Mae was relived to see it was only the next sift and not some human wanting to take a peek at 'dark elf'. Human what do they now anyways. "Its all yours, I'll be heading to the docks if anyone's wondering."

Trudging through the muddy road, Mae was slowly making her way around. "How the hell do these humans put up with this?"
django
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Alric » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:29 pm

Vithar followed Uuera'unkara through the muddy streets, not even bothering to keep a hood over his face. The male Raider didn't let the wind bother him; his red dyed hair blew in the wind as he walked alongside Uuera'unkara. Even if they had obscured their faces and skin color, the Highland Raiders' armor and height would have given them away to even the most casual observer.

Mae had decided to stay behind and guard the statue that the Raiders had found earlier. Vithar found it a bit strange that they had found a dark elven statue so far to the north; perhaps it was gained through trade or was a war trophy? If so, it was fitting that they returned it home...or rather the closest to home that they could find. Hopefully she'd be alright, for tensions towards drow were high in this land.

Mindful of such sentiments, Vithar kept up eye contact with the halmes who dared to look in their direction. Maintaining eye contact was a show of dominance, and Vithar would be damned before he backed down. His double-handed sword, it's edge proven in many a duel and conflict, was prominently at his side, and he always kept his right hand close to the grip at times like these. Even so, few in this place would be foolish enough to threaten them; or at least Vithar hoped.
Alric
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Sarghress

Postby Zenzetra » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:40 am

"Aye it is. What brings one of the dark folks to the ship yards? Your types arn't know for the seas," asked the age-biten Petsy.

"It's true; we aren't commonly the sea-fairing types, but necessity calls to us. It has come down to either braving the winter or getting a ship back south," Replied the azure wolf. She gave a short glance back to Vithar to check his position. Even with a strong-willed front she was not very trusting of even the most homely Halmes.
Zenzetra
Tainted

Postby django » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:56 am

Petsy scratched his gray stubble's and nodded "I see." guess they ain't winter folk. "I better take you to the captain, he's the one that own the ship." He didn't like the looks of the one in the back. Something about him said hes seen combat then most knights would be comfortable with. That didn't sit well with him.

Leading them past some of the crew mates, Petsy walked up to a man who has been watching them from afar. "Beg your pardon captain but I have some dark elves looking passage on our ship.", "I see." The captain said as he looked at the pair more directly "And just how many Dark elves are there planning on coming onto my ship. I don't give rides for free nor do I often turn down those who can pay."

Mean while somewhere closer to town, Mae decided not to go to the docks after some humans where giving her a funny looks she didn't like it. Rather then turning around to head back to the stable, she walked into the brewery and bought herself a keg; and then walked back to the stable. At least to the naked eye she looked liked that what she had in mind the whole time.

Despite giving a quick knock as she entered, she still startled the raider guarding the statue. "Easy boy, its only me." She wasn't a coward but Commander Vithar didn't want anyone starting anything if they could help it. If anyone was going to start anything it would be the him. It was the smart thing to do right now, she didn't want to get caught by herself in the middle of the street with no backup and get mobbed.
django
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Zenzetra » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:20 pm

Uuera followed Petsy a couple paces behind trying her best not to look menacing to the ship's crew (which might have been a more difficult task than she had realized as most of the crew thought her menacing just at first sight). She and Vithar were lead to a gruff looking man. Uuera noticed as they got closer this man had been training his eyes on them quite intently.

"And just how many Dark elves are there planning on coming onto my ship. I don't give rides for free nor do I often turn down those who can pay," came his address to the two Drow. Uuera stood rigid and upright delivering the information requested in her best Halme-tongue, "There are five of us with some cargo to transport, and I can assure you we are well suited to pay your fees, Captain".

She had hoped the use of the local language would help her win some fair-favor, or at the very least lessen the impact of "Dark elves boarding a Halme ship".
Zenzetra
Tainted

Postby Alric » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:34 am

Vithar kept his eyes on the crew as he walked to the captain, gauging their responses. It wasn't everyday that one saw a drow this far to the north. The captain eyed the two of them, demanding to know how many drow were to be on the ship. Vithar supposed it wouldn't be much of an issue for the captain as long as there was a considerable amount of money involved.

"Don't concern yourself about the cost. We'll be able to pay you quite handsomely," uttered Vithar in Irmionisk ((my term for Hermione language, since this is far to the north, right?)) as he faced the captain.
Alric
Dragon of the Nether

Postby django » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:33 am

*Yes its the far north, think Norway.*

"I see. Well as long as you can pay, you can travel on my ship. I don't accept drow currency, only gold. Where I travel I have little use for ada.", It was good to see they were willing to pay. The captain was beginning to wonder if or when the large male would speak up. Looking at him, he was reminded of the wild barbarians from the mountains. They were all Tall, quite and quick to violence if provoked but they always lacked good steel and that was usally their down fall. This drow on the other hand had all the steel he needed. "Petsy see to it that their cargo is brought aboard."

"Yes captain right away." He turned to the captain and nodded. On the outside he looked alright about the captain choice but deep down he was worried. Traveling south with them will prove to be an experience he shall not forget.

Back in town, Mae watched the peasants through a small crack in the wall. Earlier she heard the Tavern owner arguing with his wife, apparently she wanted them gone. That slut sure has alot of nerve, perhaps a good beating will put her in place. Stupid human.

It was then Mae saw one of the brown cloaked priest make his way down the muddy streets and into the Tavern. Something was going on, she could feel it. "Hey keep a look out, we might have trouble." Mae said over her shoulder to the others. No sooner then she said that, the Tavern Keeper came running over and tried to open the bared door.

As the raiders unbarred the door to let the Inn keeper in. He spouted a bunch of words to a group that spoke no Halm past some basics words. The only thing Mae could barely understand was "Must. Leave?" and she repeated those words until she remembered what they meant.
django
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Zenzetra » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:19 am

The discussion went better than had been expected. Uuera lead the way back to the tavern where their cargo and allies awaited. She spoke calmly with a hint of cheer in her voice, "Despite everything I must say it will be nice to be back home, it seems but a stone's throw away now".

Uuera'unkara turned her head to Vithar as she continued, "You speak the Halme's language with a near-perfect accent, by the way. I kind of wish I had payed more attention during my language studies".

After a small trek across the gloomy city Uuera and Vithar came across the tavern they were staying in. She looked out over the landscape and noticed the door was wide open. She could see Mae through the opening with a confused look on her face as shouting arose from inside that sounded akin to the tavern master.

"What in Sharess' name?" Uuera closed the distance to the ajar door and offered her confused question once again falling back on her general knowledge of Halme Languages, "What seems to be the trouble, tavern keeper?"
Zenzetra
Tainted

Postby django » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:43 pm

The Tavern Keeper was frustrated at the dumb elf. She didn't seem to under stand him. "I'm telling you." he said "You need to leave." Ah god what will it take for them to understand him. If his brother wasn't a brother at the church, he wouldn't have warning that the father was planning on rallying the peasants to cleanse the dark ones.

He might just lose his Tavern and life, if he doesn't act soon.

It Vithar and Uuera approached the door. "Thank goddess." Mae said as she blew a sigh of relief "This human been trying to tell me something But I have no idea what's the hell he's saying."

Almost on que, the frustrated tavern keeper spoke up "Please you must leave. The church is rallying the peasant to kill you, you must leave soon!"
django
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Alric » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:01 pm

Vithar gave a nod at Uuera's compliment. "I never really had any formal instruction. You travel around a lot, you pick up languages pretty quickly," he said plainly as they made their way back to the tavern from the docks. "I think you'll be glad to be in the south lands once the snow starts to fall." Already the chill off the cold sea was enough to make the tough raider's skin tighten.

Upon reaching the tavern, Vithar and Uuera walked in; Vithar's suspicion was raised by the excited shouting of the tavern keeper, though he was far enough away to have trouble making out exactly what was being said. As Vithar came closer, he soon understood why the keeper was shouting. A band of angry humans were out to storm the tavern in an attempt to kill the Highland Raiders.

"We need to leave, Mae. Now," grunted Vithar as he looked out the window, trying to see if the way back to the docks was safe. They had a chance, but the window on escape was rapidly closing...
Alric
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Zenzetra » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:20 pm

Uuera's third-eye gem glittered as she donned her helmet, giving her the fierce visage of a wolf. She spoke calmly to the tavern master, "You've been more than hospitable. Go seek some safety, we will be out of here soon enough".

Uuera called to the lower-ranked Raiders, "You two grab the statue and load it on the wheel-wagon". She motioned to a hand cart with two large wheels on it; within there could be found some leather straps to hold it in place.

Then she turned back to Mae and Vithar, "I would like to get out of this city without killing too many civilians, but the of utmost importance is our safety first and the safety of the statue second. If they are being spurred to action by the church then consider children of the cloth to be their generals and commanders; harrying them will give us a tactical advantage. Are you prepared to move," she asked in a deep and official tone. Uuera'unkara seemed ready for an all out war, a testament to her ability to perceive any threat with a calm and calculating mind.
Zenzetra
Tainted

Postby django » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:42 pm

"Yes, I must leave." The Tavern Keeper said as left the stable. Mae opened her mouth to ask what was that about but the way Vithar said "We need to leave, Mae. Now," said it all.

"Come on you two hurry it up." Mae said quitely, she was starting to feel the pit of her stomach go hollow and her nerves went cold and numb at the same time. Gripping her spear, Mae cautiously walked out to the muddy streets. She was ready for combat but something didn't feel right about the town. Everything seemed normal, nothing was different.

The Raiders made they're way down the streets with no trouble, infact people avoided them. By the time they made it to the docks, loaded their cargo and shipped off, the church bells rang and the drow were far far away from that wrenched town and their blood thirsty religion.

Two weeks later. "Drow where never made for the sea." Mae mumbled to her suit of armor piled in a corner. Mae didn't see much reason on wearing it unless she had to, she didn't feel safe in it with all the water around. The boat rocked and her stomach gurgled again. Bending over a stained bucket she puked. Goddess she felt like she was pregnant again.

The sea air was cool and the clouds promised a cold rain or possibly snow. Petsy was on the poop deck with the captain watching the crew at work. "I have some concern about the drow captain." "What is it Petsy, they have done nothing wrong on board my ship."
"Its... about the ladies captain, some of the younger men haven't been with a woman since we left Port Dunk Kirk. They eye them black ones ladies sir."

"We have traveled with women before Petsy, my men are good and they know the penlites if they make a move to assault any of my guests." Petsy shrugged and said "I'm just telling you whats on my mind captain. Tis all."

(Pariel shall be joining us with his/her black smith character. He was picked up at another town along the way down.)
django
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Pariel » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:15 am

Pariel paid the toll with a soft audible grunt as soon as he entered the ship, acomodating himself beneath the salted wooden deck. He couldn't recall how long had he travelled, really, and that very fact of going up north to see different blacksmithing techniques had certainly cost him his horse and girlfriend. She was maybe a little too demanding to maintain in these long travels. Studying his feet, he didn't try to make eyecontact with the other people. He knew they were drow, Sarghress raiders, and he was glad to have some company to relate to.

It was just that his encounters with Sarghress had been unsavoury, even if they were a clan pro-commoners. He rubbed his hands, as he grabbed a book and a pen and begun to take scribbles of what transpired in his travel. His sword was resting by his side, the quality of the blade had held up in all these travels. Mother had made an excellent craftmanship, her mother and bloodline finest' , so he wasn't even halfway of his mission. That blade should be broken, and then reforged.

He would kill for a hot drink, though. The weather in the surface was chilling and unforgiving, something that couldn't even begin to compare to his native Chel. The ship rocking made him a bit eerie, but it was an annoyance at best.
Pariel
Sharen Errand Boy

Clan: Sharen

Next

Return to Drowtales Roleplay Archive